Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
cods, an MA game running the jBrereton Big Boy Balance Mod, only needs one more player to join before it starts!! So you better get in quick!! Don't miss this exciting opportunity!! No underwater nations allowed. Game details in the Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is wildly incorrect, without manly anal action the world will fall rapidly into disharmony

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:mad:

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Nokremath is over.
Jbbm, twee game with 4 mod nations.
I was Ys, my god:

Year 1:

I had been planning on attacking Bandar, but then I saw Xib had gone AI.
Didn't have many of the sailing guys, so I slowly trek all the way to the other side.
Aspho gets there first, I grab the throne on the coast instead.
We bicker over it:

Bandar is sabrerattling and I concede the coast to Aspho.
Meanwhile Shinu is channelling their inner marshall Foch:

Year 2:

The invasion of Bandar, planned for summer year 1, finally starts winter year 2.

A pony accidentally strayed into Aspho territory prompting Aspho raids for the rest of the game.

Bandar assasinates the guy leading the morvarch:

They arrive eventually however:

Bandar had the steel ovens and I will pump out boatloads of bottles, gate cleavers and mind hunt equipment.
Don't bring nonwaterelementals to a waterelemental fight:

I spend a long time spinning my wheels here, but I do take over the siege of AI Vanarus' cap.
Year 3:

I don't keep up with the rest of the world much, but there is a lot of fighting between C'tis, Shinu and Aspho.
Iram has made Sawaiki go AI too.
Winter year 3 I finally take Bandar's cap:

Also eating AI Sawaiki and Shinu.
Aspho and I have been messing with eachother all game, but I get more and more mindhunters up and running:

I also send an actual army:

Year 4:

C'tis goes AI around here too.
Iram storms Kitfox' cap:

Aspho goes AI, followed shortly by Shambhala.
I mind hunt everything of Aspho's, here his god:

Only cleanup is left now really.
Iram stales maybe 7 turns here, even though he's the gameowner, and TC goes AI too.
Turns out I didn't kill all of Aspho though:

Year 5:

73 kills:

Graphs:

A poor and wavering start for me, but I started in the good spot on twee and everybody left me alone.
I only ever fought two humans, Bandar and Aspho.
Morvarchs and elementals did all the fighting and I had mercs and gate cleavers for sieging.
A bit of a boring game for me, but I hope Jonjoe will come tell us what happened over there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Rate my thug prophet:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

sullat posted:

Rate my thug prophet:

Need to see if his orders list includes "Target Commander"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Need to see if his orders list includes "Target Commander"

It does not (I think that's the archer)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frozen heart. frozen heart. frozen heart. frozen heart

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

sullat posted:

Rate my thug prophet:

Checks XP.
Nice.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

uguu posted:

A bit of a boring game for me, but I hope Jonjoe will come tell us what happened over there.

Say hello to the god of Shinuyama.

I made him to make absolutely massive armies of endless goblins. Please note that I did this before the official goblin buff of returning to size 1 and getting a mountain discount. For about the first 12 turns of the game I had the lovely size 2 goblins, of extra-expense.

With my bless:

These dudes could lead an army of 100 size 1 stealthy goblins (cost: 80 for the mage, 500 for the goblins) into battle, which is pretty much the single trick I relied on all game long besides suicide bombing my god with lots of fire gems set to make fire elementals, and skeletons.

You'll notice the drain 3. You may also be able to tell by uguu's screenshots that I had a total of 3 forts, which I was on basically all game. It wasn't that I couldn't afford more forts. It was that I couldn't afford more forts *and* endless piles of goblins.

I went with the goblins.

I was basically trying my hardest to lose all game long. I immediately launched a war against C'tis as soon as the game began, which went poorly for all involved, so I decided to start another war with Asphodel. Eventually C'tis asked me for peace and I agreed. For a while I only fought aspho with my endless goblin stacks vs his infinite plant piles. hint: plants win. I did manage to take a lot of territory though. It helped that other people were fighting him.

Eventually one of the mod nations attacked me too and I responded with goblins. Lots of goblins. Again, I succeeded in taking over lots of territory. Actually winning battles, not so much.

Then I randomly decided to enter into a war with C'tis again despite both of my other targets still being alive. Somehow, I was still doing okay. In fact, I had the second best shot of winning the game, behind Ys, since I was the only other player with a real gem income. My research sucked though, but since 20 of that gem income was eternal pyre, and I had const 6, I could pump out lightless lanterns to easily get all the research I needed to really compete.

The only reason I didn't bother is because, like I said, I was trying to lose, and somehow failing spectacularly at it. I just got burnt out from being in too many games and used a bad turn as an excuse to go AI. That was all she wrote.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I was playing shambhala, turns out that a yeti bless is absolutely terrible on them and they're just a nation of humans in different coloured caps. I helped kill c'tis and van, and then also went ai without massive amounts of provocation.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Anyone want to sub?
Ea Rlyeh jbbm luck bless in reallife,
ea Agartha jbbm rainbow and
la Rlyeh vanilla.
All before turn 20 and in a good position.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's cool AI can take it from there

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
For how long? I can cover a long weekend but not more than that

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is Buer still in Dom5

By @muppetbutler@cryptids.online (Mastodon)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

That Buer ain't right.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Newgame ended.
I put up a game where I could play vanilla Yomi, because I am obsessed with them.

Went with this one in the end:

Luck for the amazing sacred summons and re-animator because it might be good, who knows?
Cold 3 for the superior ao oni, but I wouldn't recommend it. Shikome and ko oni don't have snow move :<
The cast:

Yari bakemono led by that general guy are great at expanding.
Tough indies make for sub par expansion however.

Terrace peaks has a soul contract guy and will remain independent throughout the game.
Also Pan expands into my cap circle and I into Kailasa's.
I get mine back for free and Kailasa pays me 80 gold for theirs.
Topsy turvy world we live in.
Also Kitfox goes ai before year 1, R'lyeh being garbage.
Year 1:

I nap most of my neighbours, including Niefel and not including Pan, who refused.
Lucky for me Niefel got off to a rocky start and couldn't curbstomp me.
I try and fail to take this stupid throne three freaking times.
Apparently indies regen gems now.
Fire elementals, man, somebody should've warned me:

Ulm attacks Niefel and is joined by Agartha.
Kailasa and Berytos gang up on Mictlan.
Caelum and I plot against Pan, Arco pledges support.
Dai oni site search, I find sages, ichtyd mages and necromancers and lots of death gems.

99% of death gems get turned into Shikome.
Pan attacks me:

Rip Masatoya, dao owni.
I feel soloing a god should get you an automatic spot in the hall.
I rename my next prophets to never forget.
Year 2:

We push into Pan.

Central bank of Yomi squashing the deficit:

I get Pan's throne and most of the land, Caelum takes the cap.
Two forts that don't suck are mine now.
Innovative Agartha strats:

Niefel is still hanging in there.

His god hasn't even woken up yet!
Such tenacity must be rewarded and I prepare for the invasion of Ulm.
I renew my nap with Caelum.
Throne of the first age is the staging ground.

Niefel:

Agartha's bless:

Temples pay themselves back after tennish turns, after fiveish with the Yomi global.

All the research I need.

Keynesianism at work:

Prepping for the arrival of my blood hero:

The big fight for Ulm's cap.

Storming:

Year 3:

Caelum and Ur attack Arco, who has god awful scales and hasn't done anything yet.
Kailasa and Berytos continue being besties, going after Agartha.
Demons rolling in gold, somebody make a banker joke please.

Dai oni make excellent thugs, even without gear.

With Ulm nearly dead I attack Kailasa.

His bless:

Arco's bless:

Ur prevails in the people's arena.

But not in Arcoscephale:

I finally cast End of Culture.
Some more Shikome action:

Ulm is domkilled:

Turn 45 Caelum attacks me:

Only three armies, he's most likely going for my forts.
I summon a bunch of guys and teleport my god to the fort that's been breached.
He has thunder and cold weapons and blood vengeance.
Caelum storms my fort:

I also attack Berytos, I wrongly assumed he was in league with Caelum.
Caelum tries for my cap and runs into Suffragette City again.

Army size:

He did teach me how annoying attack rear can be:

Caelum has a boatload of pd everywhere.

Storming Kailasa:

I kill my own prophet with soul vortex :[
Arco's god is on a killing spree, in my lands:

I had taken over the siege of Niefel a long time ago and I've been preaching there.

Berytos moves his god into my cold 3 candles:

I cast murdering winter and push in.

Year 4:

Niefel is domkilled and the remnants of Berytos' god's army all die.
Next turn I kill both the drakon and Kailasa's destroyer of worlds.
My dominion has been pushing hard so I throw up gift of health.
Ferrus has been mind hunting and I'm moving into Caelum's lands.

Berytos tries to kick me off his cap.

Rlyeh makes an appearance too.

Storming the second to last throne:

Berytos' cap is taken turn 52 and Berytos is domkilled the turn after.

Temples:

I did drop my guard there and he gave me my biggest loss.

Agartha has an unforted level three throne, so I go after him.
With the drakon dead Ur takes Arco.
All aboard the Soul train:

Also got a fight with Agartha:

And Ur:

Attacking Caelum:

I move underwater and throw up wild hunt for funsies.

The game mocks me:

I had been waiting for the highland event since turn 8 and for my bloodstone hero since 20.
Four bloodhunters spent all game preparing for him.
My starting commander makes into the hall on the very last turn!

Hall of fame:

Many more dai oni got in, but dropped out again.
Gems at the end:

Research:

God never got to cast master enslave, 160 kills:

Final turn:

And the graphs:

Fun game! Props to everybody (except Kitfox!) for fighting till the end.
Especially s0veliss as Niefel.
Yomi has character and I feel they're not as weak as people say.
Though I did need double the provinces to reach income parity.
Takes a long time to get going, we were over the halfway point when I attacked Ulm.
Would recommend a god to protect you from rushes and definitely heat 3.
Thank you for reading and god bless.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i really forgot how god awful ryleh's troops are

after the second event with randoms retaking a province from me in year one i said gently caress it and ai'd

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That was a pretty great game(I was Caelum).

S0veliss as Niefel was a loving legend. He NAP's me around, I wanna say, turn 15. Accidentally attacks me because he confused me for Ulm's player. I attack him, Ulm dogpiles him, Agartha jumps on him... he gets reduced to one province, bounces back. Gets reduced to one, bounces back. I lose track of how many times, but the point is that he ends up outliving Ulm despite it.

Lessons learned from this game:

Blood Vengeance is a surprisingly garbage bless
Caelum has potential but you're probably better off ignoring their national summons and the garbage involved in acquiring them(Caelum has ZERO astral casters and garbage fire/death casters, and thus your only actual access to their national summons which are all Astral or Fire/Death requires tons of empowering or a specialized summoning Pretender) in favour of just massing tons of Eagle Kings
Birds are fragile
Don't underestimate Tarfyr, after I'd watched him bounce off that throne three times I just passed him off as unlikely to be a threat. That was a serious mistake.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

As Agartha in that game, I also want to congratulate Niefel for sticking around and bouncing back so many times.

Also, this was my second MP game and I'm pleased with how I well I did.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
This game was nuts just for the niefel comeback alone. I blame Kailasa for protecting Yomi at the beginning and turning my attention elsewhere after I really wanted to war him before he was that strong.

Fun game!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
A lot of sour tastes left in my mouth after that game. Mages going completely-the-gently caress off script killed me in two of my biggest fights. Getting stabbed in the back by someone I was coordinating with, if not a real ally, was a kick in the teeth, and I have a long memory.

Luck is a stupidly good bless I should really try out with someone at some point.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Welcome to Mr. Roger's NeighbURhood. Where in I have no good plans for mid-game besides "vulture provinces from the loser of wars", and no Late Game plans besides "don't be next to Yomi and get banished unto the void instead of conquered. "

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Dogs has ended.
Jonjoe was burning out and I was burning in, so I subbed in as Machaka.
I inherited this spicy situation:

Fighting Bandar's ethereal monkeys without evocation.

Phaecia was fighting him too, but that didn't stop me from trying to mind hunt his god.

We were making good progress, but Phaecia dropped out and I stopped caring.
Luckily there were two unforted thrones left on the map.

The graphs on what I hoped to be the last turn.

Next turn:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The AI did not win btw.

For a turn.

Then it did.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Things I learned:

Caelum good
Birds fragile
Frozen heart ice crafters love to self buff instead and not frozen heart
Fata Morgana is underwhelming

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I call this piece of modern art:

I Hope Your Pretender is Awake

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Knife fight in a phone booth.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Its turn 50, and the uneasy peace still stays. All three UW nations know that if they send their army to another one's cap, their army and their opponents will be mostly wiped out, leaving the 3rd player to take both caps, as a result noone attacks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Clearly the solution is for two to gang up on one. Actually one of them should just bargain with a land nation for gems and gold.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Applebee123 posted:

Its turn 50, and the uneasy peace still stays. All three UW nations know that if they send their army to another one's cap, their army and their opponents will be mostly wiped out, leaving the 3rd player to take both caps, as a result noone attacks.

This map scenario should be mandatory for poli-sci students.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Newbie questions:

1) I'm playing my first game of Dominions vs the AI. Is it possible to move more than one province per turn? If so, how?

2) I'm beating MA Agartha and I have them down to four provinces with castles, three of which I'm sieging at any given time, but they have one doomstack that they roll around knocking my besieging forces around with. It mainly consists of statues and mages, the mages buff the poo poo out of the statues and my guys just can't hurt them (I'm Jortunheim or whatever it's called). If I could just defeat this army in the field they'd be finished, but every time I fight this army I barely make a scratch. My armies mainly consist of giants, goblins, humans, and undead. Ideas?

3) Is there a way to see what the garrison of a castle is without sending in a scout to initiate a battle?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Class Warcraft posted:

Newbie questions:

1) I'm playing my first game of Dominions vs the AI. Is it possible to move more than one province per turn? If so, how?

First, your units need the Map Move for it, right-click the commander and see how much he has. If there's a number in paranthesis, he's being slowed by some of the units he's commanding.

Secondly, if your units aren't flying or sailing, they can only cross one enemy province a turn in any case, as far as I understand it, but may be able to cross multiple friendly provinces.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PurpleXVI posted:

First, your units need the Map Move for it, right-click the commander and see how much he has. If there's a number in paranthesis, he's being slowed by some of the units he's commanding.

Secondly, if your units aren't flying or sailing, they can only cross one enemy province a turn in any case, as far as I understand it, but may be able to cross multiple friendly provinces.

this is wrong. anyone can move more than one enemy province it just costs 6 more move or something, so you have to be very walky to do it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

violent sex idiot posted:

this is wrong. anyone can move more than one enemy province it just costs 6 more move or something, so you have to be very walky to do it

It takes something like 24 movement for nonfliers to move all the way through an enemy province into an enemy province on the other side, and that's assuming there's no bad terrain at any point in the trip. Nonmagical cavalry tops off around 21, which might be able to get away with "jumping over" an enemy province to another friendly province, but that's it. Attacking through multiple enemy territories without flight is largely restricted to ponymans.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
To expand upon the above, I'll focus on Jotunheim. Jotunheim is a cold nation, and Agartha is kind of not one, though I don't know what scales the AI would pick.

Almost all of your troops have snow move, with the exception of the Vaetti and Vaetti hag. All of your goblins and the Gamhirding have forest survival. These traits will eliminate the movement penalties from cold dominion (important), and forests (less so). Moving through forests and plains will cost you six movement points, unless that includes enemy territory (which adds 8 more cost). There's more of a breakdown in the tooltip and in the manual . The basic point is that moving quickly in hostile territory is possible for your thugs yet practically impossible for your armies (the minimum cost when stealthy is 12 movement points, averaged with your starting position), while doing so in friendly territory is quite easy if the terrain accommodates.

Any army led and composed by giants should theoretically be able to reach two province movement in friendly territory. Regular Vaetti will dramatically hamper your maneuverability, although the wolf and moose riders will be your most mobile national recruits. There are some magic and summons that might increase your mobility, and if you were thugging out some commanders you have easy access to boots for more map move and other benefits.

It sounds like your problem is primarily their statues. Those statues get a significant health bonus inside friendly dominion, if you can knock out loose temples and push it down outside their forts they'll be severely handicapped. The ideal combat solution is to take out their mages (since magic leadership is mandatory), but failing that Garmhirdings with an attack large monsters command may be worth a shot. Thanks to the battleaxe and two-handed strength bonus, they attack for 36 damage.

It's a bit difficult for me to guess which combat magic would be particularly effective given the focus on expensive capital-only mages that are either slow to recruit or have unpredictable paths.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

Well, I learned a thing, then! I've honestly never had any units walky enough to do it, so I thought it was a literal impossibility.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Fast units can do it if there are a lot of roads, otherwise I think the only non-flier that can is MA Man's unicorn riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Big IF, if I understand correctly. (I've already had to revise this twice as my sleep-deprived brain failed to notice the Dom Inspector didn't show the right map move, and my brain failed basic arithmetic, twice).

1. The base cost of moving between two (friendly) plains is 6 map move.
  2. The base cost of moving between two hostile plains is 14 map move. (6+8)
  3. When moving between two different types of terrain, the move cost will be the average of the two.
  4. The base cost of moving from a friendly plains to a hostile plains is 10 map move.
  5. Stealth reduces hostile move penalty from 8 to 6.
  6. To deepstrike, non-stealthy cavalry require a minimum of 24 map move and ideal terrain. This generally isn't happening without the Wind Walker (+6) bless, and maybe the Larger(+2) bless and various assorted survival skills.
  7. MA Vans may be the only landbound MA recruit capable of doing a deepstrike thanks to their 24 map move and reduced cost via stealth. The incorrect numbers I got from the Dom5 mod inspector means I'm too lazy to figure out what else might.
  8. To deep strike, stealthy cavalry starting in friendly territory only require 21 map move and ideal terrain. I can't think of anything other than a van that qualifies.
  9. This shouldn't have been so much work, I should get some sleep. Would have been easy to test, too.