Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ashcans posted:

5g bucket

That's like... Playmobil-bucket-sized :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am redoing our hall bathroom. Task list was to remove the old glued-in mirror, move the light fixture ~6 inches higher up the wall, and repaint the entire thing.

Before removing the mirror, I was disappointed to find that I didn't have enough slack in the wiring to move the light fixture up another 6 inches. That was disappointing, but I wanted to do it right so I figured I'd put in a junction box lower down, concealed by the new mirror (which is hanging and removable/accessible)

Turns out, after pulling off the old mirror I found a junction box! It was drywalled over, and further concealed by the glued on mirror.

What's better is that the junction box here is the original old work light fixture. Someone decided to move the light a few inches up the wall, so they just cut a channel in the wall up 4 inches and spliced in another ~6 inch wire extension. Then did a hideous drywall patch (mostly covered by the mirror)

I figured something was weird here, and cut out some more of the wall and found that yes, the wiring was coming down from the ceiling, and stapled to a stud.

Were this person not a moron, they could have just made the opening slightly bigger, pulled the staple and moved the whole junction box a little bit up the wall (which is what I did)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's like... Playmobil-bucket-sized :confused:
Nah man, it's a bucket so vast it has five times the earth's gravity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nah man, it's a bucket so vast it has five times the earth's gravity.

I'm pretty sure the earth has more than five grams worth of gravity.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Basically all the buckets in the universe are here and their gravity is never measured as separate from the planet, so how would you even know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Basically all the buckets in the universe are here and their gravity is never measured as separate from the planet, so how would you even know.

My uncle works for bucket.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jerry Cotton posted:

He does good work

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's gotta be a moon bucket

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jerry Cotton posted:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I saw a comedy sketch years ago that started with a handy man looking under a sink and trying to trace a serious of connectors, pipes and adapters, moving sideways into the next cupboard and the next and the next getting weirder all the time, then he stands up and realises he's inside a nuclear reactor and just looks around bewildered.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just another flunky for Big Bucket, keeping the little man down.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

null_pointer posted:

Nooooo mah bucket

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

He does good work

Bucket 2.0 is coming.

null_pointer posted:

I like small buckets and I can lie.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My approach is to stare at the problem, furiously research it, come up with a plan, go to the shop and discover that the either don't have the parts or that I forgot what I needed, get angry, buy something else, go home, try it, gently caress it up, sulk.

Edit: I will not be doing this with my sink drain I swear
Looks like either the sink outflow could be joined to the top of the existing trap (which is just a u bend) or I could just take it out and replace the whole thing with a new set of un hosed up pipes going into a p trap.

Pretty much how most of my DIY projects go:

1. Stare at problem for a while.
2. Research solutions on the internet
3. Come up with one or two possible solutions
4. Go to hardware store
5. Discover that no one stocks the key part for solution A, and that while there are a pile of kits for solution B they're all reverse threaded compared to what I need in my setup.
6. Stare at available parts for a while.
7. Maybe buy something, go home and mock up ideas with the parts I have.
8. Repeat until I either give up or find something that works.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Most of my projects involve:

- forget an extremely obvious approach in the beginning
- get incredibly angry at my approach
- show wife finished results
- she tells me she thinks it’s fine
- I redo it all, the way I thought of in step 1

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My projects go:
1. Realize I need to do a thing, add it to a mental list
2. Wait 3-9 years, thinking about it on and off during the entire time, thinking of several different approaches and weighing their pros and cons, maybe google it a bit, ask someone on SA if needed, forget about it again and then remember it a few months later, etc. etc. etc.
3. Spend 20 minutes doing it entirely with poo poo I already have on hand with no errors or drawbacks, wonder why the gently caress I didn't just get it done years ago

OR

2. Wait 0-9 years, never really give it a lot of thought because the way to fix it is obvious and straightforward although it'll probably take a few hours
3. Tackle the project finally, make 8 trips to stores, order things online, make a mess, break something, get frustrated because this was supposed to be simple and straightforward
4. Finally maybe fix it weeks after I started when I finally have all the right poo poo together, possibly because my wife is fed up with the half-finished poo poo and starts threatening to call someone to do it

OR
2. Never do it

I think my projects fall into category 3 the most, but of the remainder, categories 1 and 2 are pretty evenly split.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

1) get parts for easy project
2) open up wall or whatever
3) curse previous owner for whatever stupid poo poo I find

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

1. Google solution
2. Go to store and buy solution for $X
3. Install solution
4. Screw up with initial analysis, screw up reading initial solution, find another problem while taking things apart, or break something while taking things apart.
5. $X = $X*2.
6. Go to Step 1.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

FogHelmut posted:

1. Google solution
2. Go to store and buy solution for $X
3. Install solution
4. Screw up with initial analysis, screw up reading initial solution, find another problem while taking things apart, or break something while taking things apart.
5. $X = $X*2.
6. Go to Step 1.

7. Give up, hire someone else to do it
8. $X = $X*10

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

wolrah posted:

Pretty much how most of my DIY projects go:

1. Stare at problem for a while.
2. Research solutions on the internet
3. Come up with one or two possible solutions
4. Go to hardware store
5. Discover that no one stocks the key part for solution A, and that while there are a pile of kits for solution B they're all reverse threaded compared to what I need in my setup.
6. Stare at available parts for a while.
7. Maybe buy something, go home and mock up ideas with the parts I have.
8. Repeat until I either give up or find something that works.

- This sounds easy. I'll do it on my lunch break
- I'm definitely not going back in to work today
- I should just call out for the rest of the week

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

1. See a project that needs to be done
2. Research options, come up with a plan of attack
3. Brain goes "Well we thought about it and decided on how we would do it, that's as good AS doing it right?"
4. Bask in the glow of a false job well done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't tell you how I handle jobs because the flowchart is lost forever under a heap of scraps of paper with jobs scrawled on them

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fix a thing
Fix a thing
Fix a thing
Fix a thing
Make a thing out of all these spare parts that mysteriously appeared.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I forgot the other step of my "process": ignore advice of "just pay someone to do it" and insist on doing it myself.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I saw a comedy sketch years ago that started with a handy man looking under a sink and trying to trace a serious of connectors, pipes and adapters, moving sideways into the next cupboard and the next and the next getting weirder all the time, then he stands up and realises he's inside a nuclear reactor and just looks around bewildered.

Where did you get this video of me looking at my heating and plumbing system?

It's an old style gas boiler with a hot water storage tank, but with an added bonus of (seemingly multiple) cold water storage tanks, a cold water pump to add pressure and what looks like about 6 different in and out flows going to/from the same part of the building for no discernible reason.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

3. Tackle the project finally, make 8 trips to stores, order things online, make a mess, break something, get frustrated because this was supposed to be simple and straightforward

beep-beep car is go posted:

3. Brain goes "Well we thought about it and decided on how we would do it, that's as good AS doing it right?"

Good god it's like all of my sewing projects. :sigh:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

beep-beep car is go posted:

Welcome to my bathroom remodel! My limit is budget, because I am broke as hell right now, and the bathroom is functional. I only have the one bathroom, so the floor re-tile would have to be done in a day.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Just took out my bathroom sink to put in a new vanity. Discovered it was plumbed straight into the ground using 1 1/2" pipe and no S trap, and then that the shutoff valves are way lower than normal so the new tap lines (which are integrated into the tap) can't reach. Off to Loewe's again...

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Step N-1: Briefly consider the merits of arson and insurance fraud.
Step N: Weep.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"Even after buying that tool, I still saved money doing it myself because I can use it again!"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chitin posted:

Just took out my bathroom sink to put in a new vanity. Discovered it was plumbed straight into the ground using 1 1/2" pipe and no S trap, and then that the shutoff valves are way lower than normal so the new tap lines (which are integrated into the tap) can't reach. Off to Loewe's again...

Plumbing fuckery is the worst fuckery. Lots of identical looking things that are anything but. :mad:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ripoff posted:

Plumbing fuckery is the worst fuckery. Lots of identical looking things that are anything but. :mad:

Like diameter measurements? That poo poo drives me up the wall.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Speaking of plumbing... a few months ago the water company had a problem that caused the entire town to have severely reduced water pressure for about 2 days. Basically 1/8th what it was normally... At this same time my dryer decided to break. As I was pulling the dryer out to take a look at it, I noticed the water shutoffs for my washer where leaking quite badly around the shutoff handles. Luckily all the water was going down the washer drain and not into the wall. The shutoffs where not the type with replaceable "packing nuts"/seals. So I ended up getting all the stuff from work to replace them..

In the meantime, they got the water pressure problem fixed.. When I went to go replace the shutoffs, I discovered they had stopped leaking!

Only thing I can figure is the low water pressure wasn't pushing hard enough on the internal seals, thus causing them to leak.

Its been a few months now, I still haven't replaced the valves, and but they haven't leaked anymore. I still have the stuff I bought from work to replace them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Like diameter measurements? That poo poo drives me up the wall.

Eventually things will circle back around and it'll make sense.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

Same, and I also like to do a lot of...weird? projects that just need an odd assortment of parts to be used for something completely unrelated to their normal purpose, so it means I'm the guy just standing in the plumbing aisle for 20 minutes but if you ask me if I need help and I say I'm just brainstorming, like, I actually mean that, please don't confuse me for the guy who's going to use electrical conduit for his kitchen sink's cold water supply or whatever. Is there like a badge I can get for this actually? Maybe a hi-vis vest like they put on dogs you shouldn't pet?

Jesus there's two of us

E: fairly typical of a home repair job:

1) decide to upgrade a crappy PVC-to-cast-iron repair I did in 1992 when I was broke & clueless. Should take about an hour. I have all the parts I need.
2) try to figure out how to pull the cast-iron wye apart at the joint, which has a rubber seal*
3) after hauling on it fruitlessly for half an hour, turn around & start to walk away/meditate on options, hear a horrible <clunk>
(This used to be standing at 12 o'clock)

4) tear out the set of base cabinets, avec sink, that were in front of the lateral to find this:

WELL, GUESS TODAY'S THE DAY TO UPGRADE TO PVC

5) Seven hours & two trips later:

(And before you start hollering, the sump pump has always drained into the lateral)

*there is a Special Tool. I may have a cast-cutter, but no one has the Special Tool

sorry 'bout the potato phone pics.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 11, 2019

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus there's two of us

I think my dad and I make four.

Like, last week when I was visiting, we got a few 10' 1" diameter schedule 20 pvc pipes, and some schedule 40 fittings so we could make a contraption to put a net over a cherry tree, and the guy at menards scolded us for getting non-matching pvc.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The first time I built a mash tun, the employees were very confused by the parts selection. The second time, differently it became common enough to be recognizable.

Cooler, ball valve, fittings, washers, hose...

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The gently caress Is She Building is my favorite shopping game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

1) "Seems easy, I can totally do this"
2) no

On my better days I realize 2) before I start.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My Lovely Horse posted:

1) "Seems easy, I can totally do this"
2) no

On my better days I realize 2) before I start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ArcMage posted:

The gently caress Is She Building is my favorite shopping game.

Same, I love looking at people’s carts in big-box stores and seeing what fresh hell they’re inviting upon themselves. I only hope they see me carrying PVC piping and 2x4s, and think “oh you sorry dumb bastard” at me, too.