Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
A new generation of kids are going to need glasses real soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IG-88 posted:

Having trouble understanding why you wouldn’t be able to just connect a usb-c to hdmi cable and play on your TV

Probably due to the thermal design, the Switch runs at higher clocks in docked mode so by removing that functionality they can get away with smaller/cheaper cooling.

I guess they could do a "portable mode but on your TV" that's limited to 720p but evidently they didn't think that was a good idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Switch Lite is real? Wow Nintendo is loving DEAD to me.

Release the pro version you loving cowards

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In case you missed it, they're also releasing a Nintendo Switch Lite that's themed after Pokemon Sword and Shield.

It doesn't come with the game.

acems posted:

I wonder if those built-in joycons will drift.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I'm kind of interested in a smaller portable Switch because personally I don't like the big bulkier version we've got normally but with the state of the joycons I'm gonna wait it out at least six months to see how they hold up. Not falling for another "we fixed the Pro Controller d-pad" sham.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rabelais D posted:

WTF why is it still called a switch then ; you can't switch between TV and handheld and you can't even switch out the joycons

A Switch that tells everyone it's a Switch but then when it wants to Top it realizes it can't do that so it just stays a Bottom.

But it still tells everyone it's a Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m sure there’s a massive audience for this and that it’s a cool/smart move but the screen being even smaller is like. yuck

Smaller screen with the same resolution will look better than a bigger screen, you're getting more pixels per inch

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I tried to play Breath of the Wild handheld a couple times but the text was too small, other than that my Switch has sat in the dock 100% of the time. I can't imagine trying to play BotW on something with an even smaller screen.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Switch mega when

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Tatsuta Age posted:

Switch mega when

You mean *New* Nintendo Switch Lite XL

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That does not seem exceedingly ergonomic. I think I might get one for my kid but honestly I'm not sure if he can handle it. His 2ds is a mess. Have to see how sturdy it is. I know my wife will be resistant to buying him another console.

Layout-wise it looks pretty amenable to a cover or even a hardcase if that's a serious concern.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Policenaut posted:

In case you missed it, they're also releasing a Nintendo Switch Lite that's themed after Pokemon Sword and Shield.

It doesn't come with the game.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I'm kind of interested in a smaller portable Switch because personally I don't like the big bulkier version we've got normally but with the state of the joycons I'm gonna wait it out at least six months to see how they hold up. Not falling for another "we fixed the Pro Controller d-pad" sham.

Eliminating wireless, rumble, IR, and charging rails from the things frees up a lot of space and gives it less points of vulnerability so is a fair shot they will be fairly more resilient.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

glassyalabolas posted:

You mean *New* Nintendo Switch Lite XL

Yeah I want that

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is perfect to carry to work for lunch time. I guess I'm buying a third Switch. Go ahead and give me a Pro too. Four Switches? Why not?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Had I not gotten a Switch I'd of definitely gotten the light as the replacement to my N3DS. That said, I'm more than happy with the Switch, cause while I do it infrequently, docking is very nice. Those colors and the d-pad are nice. It's weird they haven't made their own L-Joycon with a Proper D-pad come to think of it.

The screen being small is fine. I played BotW in both modes and while docked is obviously better it was fine handheld and it was a real joy to switch between the two modes.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

lmao, you can't adjust the brightness.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the switch lite is cute

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

Quick someone compile all the posts of people saying they'd never make a Switch that can't actually switch

I know I have some posts that would be there.

Should have called it Switch-less.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I might change my mind when I get a chance to hold one. My undocked usage is limited to sometimes playing in bed for an hour two because it's simply too large for it to be something I could consider portable. If the Lite is actually small enough to fit into a coat pocket I might actually get some use of it outside of the house.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MMF Freeway posted:

wtf gimme that loving dpad on the real console you cowards

Nope.

CNET posted:

There's also a new true D-pad on the left side, replacing a set of four buttons on the Switch's Joy-Con that offered those same functions. It looks like a better option for playing NES-type retro games, but according to Bowser, don't expect a D-pad on a future Joy-Con: "There are no plans, or nothing to announce, in terms of further variations of Joy-Con."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

get a grip

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/doof_ebooks/status/1148935738735702023

Karen never invited me to her rooftop parties so I'm one-upping her.

I'm playing Switch on the goddamn moon!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
200 dollars seems expensive seeing as you don't get a dock, you don't get the joycon grip, you don't even get joycons...no IR camera, no rumble,. ..oh, and a smaller screen

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

X-O posted:

This is perfect to carry to work for lunch time. I guess I'm buying a third Switch. Go ahead and give me a Pro too. Four Switches? Why not?

disposable income was a mistake

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

200 dollars seems expensive seeing as you don't get a dock, you don't get the joycon grip, you don't even get joycons...no IR camera, no rumble,. ..oh, and a smaller screen

I don't give a poo poo about any of those things though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't think i've played a game yet that made me notice or care about the HD rumble

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sudden Javelin posted:

Quick someone compile all the posts of people saying they'd never make a Switch that can't actually switch

Aw, nuts.

Seems neat, tho i feel it could go down another 20 with all the stuff it cuts. Either way its super not for me, so whatevs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They could have done better than a half an hour increase in battery life.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'll get as soon as Satisfye makes a grip

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

less laughter posted:

disposable income was a mistake

The Switch is the only console we own anymore and the only thing we ever use for gaming. Plus there's two of us and we each bought one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

glassyalabolas posted:

lmao, you can't adjust the brightness.

Wait what? But isn't that like the first thing you do when you want to extend battery life?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

They could have done better than a half an hour increase in battery life.

The extra battery time is probably mostly because of the smaller screen. Without changing the CPU there's not a lot they can do to increase it more.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Andrast posted:

I don't give a poo poo about any of those things though

If you have don't enjoy playing lazy style with detached joycons, even in handheld, then well my friend you have not truly switched

EDIT: I guess I mean tabletop mode

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 10, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Announce the Switch Pro now, cowards

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Rabelais D posted:

If you have don't enjoy playing lazy style with detached joycons, even in handheld, then well my friend you have not truly switched

EDIT: I guess I mean tabletop mode

It sounds like you can still sync regular Joycons to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I play my Switch almost 100% docked so this thing isn't for me. I did once say that a Switch without all the things that make it a Switch seems like a weird regression but the market must be there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I see Nintendo’s track record of giving up on their gimmicks remains unbroken.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

The Pokemon version looks pretty sweet--white is the best Nintendo handheld color.

I want to see it in person before I really judge it, but I do think the Switch is a bit unwieldy at times in portable mode (and is surprisingly huge to pack in a bag once you put it in a case).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I see we got the confirmation so those weirdos who couldn’t accept it now have to

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not for me but looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I assume that guy in the space station is hosting all my Smash Bros lobbies