Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The Sunny episode that probably aged the worst is the one where Dennis gets a cell phone and won't stop ooh-ing and ahh-ing at it.

Actually any episode of anything featuring a new technology is going to age badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The Sunny episode that probably aged the worst is the one where Dennis gets a cell phone and won't stop ooh-ing and ahh-ing at it.

Actually any episode of anything featuring a new technology is going to age badly.

There is an episode of Corner Gas where a few characters get into a pissing contest about how small their new phones are, only to change their mind at the end and start wanting larger and larger phones. It's aged relatively well.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The episode of Frasier where Niles rides a Segway around everywhere, and everyone thinks it's amazing and cool and they want to try it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

somepartsareme posted:

The episode of Frasier where Niles rides a Segway around everywhere, and everyone thinks it's amazing and cool and they want to try it.

Niles is definitely the only kind of customer who actually bought a Segway so that part aged pretty well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Don Gato posted:

Niles is definitely the only kind of customer who actually bought a Segway so that part aged pretty well.

And I don't want to own a segway, but I would want to try one if the opportunity made itself available to me, so that also checks out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

Making them absolute losers works pretty well for aging the show, too. You're not surprised when you go back to an episode from like 2007 and there's a lovely joke that aged really poorly. Well yeah, they're all the worst people on the planet, it's not that surprising that they suck. Plus, no idiot is gonna see someone like Dennis and think, "hey actually he's kinda cool" the way they do for characters like Cartman. Dennis is an egotistical, sociopathic waste of space who's also pretty stupid, and that's how he acts, and that's how he's treated by the world around him. It's not like going back to Friends, seeing Ross flipping out like a child because his ex-girlfriend ended up with a woman, and being like "wow this character is supposed to be relatable?"

For as much as Trey Parker and Matt Stone act like Cartman was designed to be a horrible, hateable prick, they sure made tons of plots where everything revolves around him and his wild, wacky personality - and, y'know, it's not like he ever actually learns a lesson and pretty much no one who tries to teach him something is ever portrayed as correct. He's not portrayed as weirder or worse than the other characters on the show, except for Kyle and Stan, who are the boring ones. He's not really all that hated by other characters in the show, besides Kyle, barely. And as a Jewish kid who was in middle school when the show was mega-popular I always thought Kyle had way too much patience. Dude should have strangled Cartman to death long ago.

e: I also think it's kinda pathetic that Parker and Stone are going back and making episodes where they're like "actually, we were wrong about trans issues", "actually, we were wrong about global warming." Uh... I thought the whole thing was about pushing boundaries cause you don't care what society thinks, and you're sick of the preachy people who want to make others think like them? Because going back on those positions now makes it seem like the whole thing was actually about getting away with saying the worst poo poo that was allowable at the time, and now they're worried about pushback since standards are changing. If their opinions really are evolving, good, but in that case maybe they should reflect further on the two decades they spent making poo poo like South Park

Yeah, better than saying nothing, I guess, but far worse than just canceling the show already and letting it rest as a monument to stupid mid-2000s white guy misanthropy.

They're scum and almost single-handedly responsible for the return of vicious antisemitism and the public murder of jews. They're the kind of pampered white boys who think that every social problem is solved because they've never been inconvenienced and who think it's funny to say the n-word because it can't hurt them, just eternally high school juniors giggling their way through lunch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They're scum and almost single-handedly responsible for the return of vicious antisemitism and the public murder of jews. They're the kind of pampered white boys who think that every social problem is solved because they've never been inconvenienced and who think it's funny to say the n-word because it can't hurt them, just eternally high school juniors giggling their way through lunch.

I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've seen this claim in this thread (maybe even from you): I'm going to be honest, I lost interest in South Park about a season or two in, but how exactly were they almost single-handedly responsible for this?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If Frasier was still on today, there would definitely be an episode where Niles gets caught up with a Bird scooter gang in Seattle

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've seen this claim in this thread (maybe even from you): I'm going to be honest, I lost interest in South Park about a season or two in, but how exactly were they almost single-handedly responsible for this?

Well I don't know if I would say it was single-handedly responsible for a rise in antisemitism, but I'd say it definitely played a role. Basically, one of the running things in the show is that Cartman and Kyle's interactions go like this: Cartman will say something like, "Hey, Kyle, you stupid Jew" and Kyle will respond with, "gently caress you, fatass." That basically sums up the vast majority of the interactions between two of the three main speaking characters in the show, and it usually goes down pretty much exactly like that. Like, the boys will be hanging out interacting normally with respect to whatever plot is going on, and Cartman will just randomly insult Kyle for being Jewish about 50% of the time if they're both in a scene together. Cartman is pretty much the main comedic character and Kyle and Stan are the more-or-less interchangeable straight men who end episodes with lectures. Cartman is also typically the one who drives the action and Stan and Kyle usually react to him, so most viewers tend to enjoy Cartman and empathize with him.

So, you know, since I was a kid in middle school when South Park was huge, and one of the only Jewish kids in the school, this amounted to a lot of "Hey, Casey, you stupid Jew." You know, most of the kids didn't even know any Jewish stereotypes or why they were supposed to say that, they just knew that it was funny when Cartman said it. Eventually some people I knew would do more straightforwardly antisemitic poo poo and get into more straightforwardly antisemitic beliefs and it's hard to deny they were primed for it by South Park. But you know, there were other factors too, the worst antisemite I ever knew hated me for... religious reasons or something, I don't know, he was a truly strange guy and now he's a cop :shrug:

By senior year in high school I'd say the vast majority of people had grown out of it, besides total losers. By then I'd long since given up on watching South Park to try to "get" it. The public schools I went to only had like three Jews in them, including me, but I actually lived pretty close to a really Jewish high school (the one my mom went to). I bet things would have been pretty different if I went to school there, I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

By priming white shitposters to think of antisemitism as something outrageous and funny, to be used with ironic intent because it is so funny. Real nazis saw that going on and decided to slide in and radicalize them all.

I know it sounds like I’m sweatily ranting in front of a cork board with pictures and cut-up newspaper headlines connected by differently colored strings, but who else 1999-2009ish was pushing antisemitism as a gag? Edgelords didn’t lean into that poo poo at all until the end of the Bush years. South Park is the blueprint for internet nihilism and its ambiguous irony. It probably was me saying this before as well as it’s kind of a fixation of mine. I know antisemitism is long-lived and periodically intensifies, but you have to admit 4chan owes a lot to the scripts they set.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

By priming white shitposters to think of antisemitism as something outrageous and funny, to be used with ironic intent because it is so funny. Real nazis saw that going on and decided to slide in and radicalize them all.

I know it sounds like I’m sweatily ranting in front of a cork board with pictures and cut-up newspaper headlines connected by differently colored strings, but who else 1999-2009ish was pushing antisemitism as a gag? Edgelords didn’t lean into that poo poo at all until the end of the Bush years. South Park is the blueprint for internet nihilism and its ambiguous irony. It probably was me saying this before as well as it’s kind of a fixation of mine. I know antisemitism is long-lived and periodically intensifies, but you have to admit 4chan owes a lot to the scripts they set.

My little brother is ginger and apparently had a hell of a time in highschool. I also had reddish hair and freckles, and I went to the same highschool and it was never even a thing. Ginger hatred wasn't a thing in the US until South Park.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^Edit - yep, there we go.

Hell, didn't they even bring back making GBS threads on red heads?

No one even cared before South Park made it a punchline.

Yeah, this is my opinion of them, too.

"Freedom of speech!" from the mouths of straight white guys is always just dressed-up bigotry because they're never the ones who suffer.

Then there's their whole "truth is in the middle" spiel which conflated tolerance with bigotry over and over and over.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
“South Park influenced the alt-right” is reasonable. “South Park is directly responsible for people shooting up synagogues” is insane and reductive as poo poo.

Anti-Semitism has existed as long as Judaism. The entire loving history of Jewishness is defined by who sought to eradicate us in what place and at what time. Jews are at the center of every major conspiracy. People who intend to commit massacres aren't doing it because they watched a cartoon.

I know it sounds like I’m sweatily ranting in front of a cork board with pictures and cut-up newspaper headlines connected by differently colored strings, but who else 1999-2009ish was pushing antisemitism as a gag? Edgelords didn’t lean into that poo poo at all until the end of the Bush years.

Borat, to name one other example of pop culture written by a Jewish guy and then twisted by dumbass high schoolers.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Jul 10, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I did grow up Jewish in Israel, so it didn't have that effect, but I see what you all mean.

That reminds me of another one of their works: Team America: World Police. Seems like an obvious, on-the-nose send up of American foreign policy under Bush, right? Well, I was talking to this South Asian-American guy, and he said he hated the movie, because it came out when he was still in school, and after that a lot of the other kids would call him "Durka Durka".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I did grow up Jewish in Israel, so it didn't have that effect, but I see what you all mean.

That reminds me of another one of their works: Team America: World Police. Seems like an obvious, on-the-nose send up of American foreign policy under Bush, right? Well, I was talking to this South Asian-American guy, and he said he hated the movie, because it came out when he was still in school, and after that a lot of the other kids would call him "Durka Durka".

Team America's primary message - which they made explicit at the end, because they're hacks - is that yeah, America/American militarism is jingoistic/chaotic/etc, but it is also fundamentally necessary. And if you oppose imperialism then you're a pathetic weedy stupid libtard. It's a send up of American foreign policy, but a loving one.

It's just as lovely as any of their other work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It was tough to initially pinpoint South Park's politics because they'd insult Al Gore and then Bush. In the end it was some weird Libertarian mix that was more rear end in a top hat than most Libertarians already are. Edgelord Libertarian if you will.

That's great when you're an angsty teenager*, it gets less great the older you get.

*not great if you're the target of the humor.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Almost every popular TV show in the early-mid 2010s had all the characters using Windows phones instead of iPhones or Androids, because Microsoft was pushing hard to try to make Windows phones happen. It was weird when these shows actually aired because nobody ever used a Windows phone, and it's going to be even weirder looking back at it.

Windows phones were great and I had a bunch of them, but there was zero mainstream market for them

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beachcomber posted:

My little brother is ginger and apparently had a hell of a time in highschool. I also had reddish hair and freckles, and I went to the same highschool and it was never even a thing. Ginger hatred wasn't a thing in the US until South Park.

The phrase "beaten like a redheaded stepchild" predates South Park by a long way.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jedit posted:

The phrase "beaten like a redheaded stepchild" predates South Park by a long way.

That's true, but I never heard anyone use the term "ginger" as a slur until after south park. In the true "privileged white male" tradition, I never really gave it any thought to it being bad until reading it in this thread as it didn't effect me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure hating redheads was a British thing that was coded Anti-semitism, and Anti-Irish, (Celts and Jews being the two groups most likely to have red hair.) that Americans didn't understand until South Park brought it over and made it ironic.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's true, but I never heard anyone use the term "ginger" as a slur until after south park. In the true "privileged white male" tradition, I never really gave it any thought to it being bad until reading it in this thread as it didn't effect me.

Not as a slur but like you never knew why they called her Ginger Spice? In fact looking back on it all the names they gave the Spice Girls were kinda mean.

Iirc some magazine gave them those names and they ran with it. With the exception of Posh who they named Sexy Spice and she went with the other instead.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yes, as someone who is British, ginger was definitely an insult when I was at primary and secondary school twenty odd years ago. It has always been an insult over here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And now I'm suddenly remembering the Cartoon Network promo for Garlic Jr and the Spice Boys. As an appellated name for a filler villain's mook squad that's actually pretty much perfect especially given DBZ's goofy sense of humour.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Koalas March posted:

Not as a slur but like you never knew why they called her Ginger Spice? In fact looking back on it all the names they gave the Spice Girls were kinda mean.

Iirc some magazine gave them those names and they ran with it. With the exception of Posh who they named Sexy Spice and she went with the other instead.

I knew that ginger was a term that British people used to refer to red heads, I just never heard anyone in the states use it (outside of the aforementioned Spice Girl) much less use it as a slur. I'm not saying no one in the US ever used it before south park, but at least where I grew up it really wasn't used.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did Southpark come up with the part about gingers having no soul or was that already canon in the Catholic church?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Koalas March posted:

I remember the magazine in question as I had a copy of it (Top of the Pops Magazine from about September 96) - Victoria was Posh Spice from the start.

IIRC Sexy Spice was something which originated in the US, and given to Geri...

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It definitely wasn't just South Park in the mid to late 90s that were ragging on redheads. Other things were just more subtle about it. A disproportionate amount of redheads were shown in media as bullies or general problem children, that I can recall.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Like a lot of racism in the US in the 90's, it just got baked into the culture so thoroughly that we stipped noticing it was there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

Honest question.

And looking it up it appears to be a SouthPark thing, but some people claimed it was the Catholic church back when Vikings were a thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Always thought it was weird that the black one is Scary Spice.

Also Spiceworld was on mute at a bar I was at recently and from what I could tell it’s the most insane movie ever made?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ginger Spice is kind of redundant.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Always thought it was weird that the black one is Scary Spice.

Also Spiceworld was on mute at a bar I was at recently and from what I could tell it’s the most insane movie ever made?

Pretty much, yeah. I got the impression it's basically an extended series of music videos with the very late 90s/pre-9/11 00s total void of self-awareness.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ginger Spice is kind of redundant.

Pretty much, yeah. I got the impression it's basically an extended series of music videos with the very late 90s/pre-9/11 00s total void of self-awareness.

It’s definitely one of the most pre-9/11 movies I can think of, though I don’t know how that affected British movies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spice World is many things, but "a total void of self-awareness" is not one of them

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I remember the magazine in question as I had a copy of it (Top of the Pops Magazine from about September 96) - Victoria was Posh Spice from the start.

IIRC Sexy Spice was something which originated in the US, and given to Geri...

That so weird! Anyway tbf aside from playing Viva Forever on the piano I haven't paid attention to the Spice Girls since I was a tween lmao

I did in fact see Spice World in theatres as a kid and it was absolutely fun and bonkers

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
It's not a good film, even in the so-bad-its-good stakes. Arguably it's self aware, but along the lines that it knows it's a terrible, cash-in film and doesn't attempt to cover it up.

Back on the ginger thing, in the UK it seems to be a joke that people also take seriously while maintaining it's a joke. Like I've heard several British guys say: "I was unpopular at school. Not as unpopular as the ginger kid but ..."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

purple death ray posted:

Spice World is many things, but "a total void of self-awareness" is not one of them

I agree.

The Spice Girls movie is to me one of the best affectionate piss takes ever. Everyone is in on the joke, everyone is having fun, all the barbs are good natured.

I am a grown arse man, and I unironically enjoy the experience of watching that movie.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The biggest % of people with red hair is Scotland followed by Ireland. It's not really hard to understand why this may have lead to prejudice from the English.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it just redhead dudes that catch hell in the UK, or is there an untapped reservoir of "undateable" redheaded women just sitting there?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

purple death ray posted:

The problem with an Archie Bunker type character is that if the show gets popular and runs long enough, the audience likes them, they inevitably become the good guys. Then the characters who are trying to make him less hateful become strawmen and punching bags for him to dunk on while the studio audience gives him a standing ovation. poo poo look at Cartman on South Park, the obnoxious nazi who then gets put on t-shirts and gets to say all the funny lines, and everyone forgets that he's supposed to be a shithead barely tolerated by his friends. Then screaming about killing Jews becomes this wacky thing that's just kids being kids.

E: lmao I took too long to type my post

Pop Culture Detective did a good episode that covered part of this (the whole thing is good, the "normalizing" part starts around 7:00)

https://youtu.be/1r3FkR5rziY

Basically, if a main character is consistently written with bad traits (even if we are supposed to initially see them as wrong), then the fact that they do not grow or change, face no real consequences, and still have their friends who will vouch for how they are good despite those traits all serves to normalize these bad traits.