Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nintendo has never shown a penchant for releasing updated hardware for their portable consoles

:rip: Virtual Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Imagined posted:

Thing is, though, that it IS for me. It's almost exactly what I wanted

Smaller ✔️
Cheaper ✔️
Less fragile ✔️
No stupid joycons ✔️
No TV mode ❌

So that's why I'm frustrated. There are things about the OG Switch I didn't like that this solves. But it's a Switch that don't Switch, so nope.

You don't ever have to interact with the joycons. I have a pro controller and my secret is I just use that instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I got the 8BitDo Pro and never used the joycons again

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
a switch that cannot play handheld is not very "pro" imo

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

spit on my clit posted:

this is not The 3DS, this is Nintendo's new main console. While they've had tons of alternate colors or special edition colors for their consoles in the past, this is the first time they've made an alternate edition of a main console.

Wii Mini says hi

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Didn't think they'd still call it a switch, but I sold my stock so I no longer care. Definitely feels not worth it for cutting tv out, but for kids this should do ok as long as they don't try to get a labo since it won't fit in the casing.

less laughter posted:

Wii Mini says hi

That was, what, 5 years into the consoles life and hard to find.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

Would the X2 be able to run efficiently enough to allow for a switch pro with 1080p portable at the same performance of the docked X1 without murdering the battery? I'm aware the X2 isn't much faster but my understanding is that it's a fair bit better with power.

X2 has a Denver cores at its heart and that may be too drastic a change for highly optimized hardware like the switch.

Mahoning posted:

Digital Foundry has speculated that a newer revision of the X1 is out there, using a 16nm design instead of the current 20nm design, which would improve performance and battery life.

It's possible, we'll have to see. I still think that any performance/efficiency improvements are going to be put towards making the switch work in docked profile all the time rather than do any performance enhancements while docked though.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
For the people who are so concerned that people will be confused by the naming of the Switch Lite, are you confused? Have you found yourself irreversibly confused by Nintendo naming conventions before? Have you, or someone you know spent $200-300 on a video game console without even the smallest amount of research from viewing a web site, watching a YouTube video, or even glancing at the box for the thing you're going to buy?

I'm really curious who this supposed demographic is of people who are going to impulse buy a Switch and genuinely have no idea what the difference between the two is and doesn't even bother finding out before just spending hundreds of dollars...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don’t think it’s confusing but I do think it’s kind of odd to reuse “Lite” for a console that’s actually a weaker version of the original, as opposed to solely an ergonomic redesign

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

less laughter posted:

Wii Mini says hi

also top loader nes with the snesish pad and that weird looking snes.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

io_burn posted:

For the people who are so concerned that people will be confused by the naming of the Switch Lite, are you confused? Have you found yourself irreversibly confused by Nintendo naming conventions before? Have you, or someone you know spent $200-300 on a video game console without even the smallest amount of research from viewing a web site, watching a YouTube video, or even glancing at the box for the thing you're going to buy?

I'm really curious who this supposed demographic is of people who are going to impulse buy a Switch and genuinely have no idea what the difference between the two is and doesn't even bother finding out before just spending hundreds of dollars...

Ever hear of the “Wii U”

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

People that primarily play handheld even at home: what's the reason? Nothing to connect it to? Roommate that perpetually hogs the TV? Just enjoy playing in bed that much?

I have a wife and two young kids, so I don't usually have the luxury of taking over the TV for myself. I didn't even take the dock out of the box for a whole year after getting the Switch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
maybe if my switch is smaller I'll have an easier time sneaking it to work...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

io_burn posted:

People literally bought wii u games for their wii. Nintendo have already said they know it's going to be confusing and have talked about how every game says if it can be played handheld or docked. Guess who isn't gonna know this unless told at the cash register?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

less laughter posted:

Wii Mini says hi

Hell the Wii U launched with 2 versions with different storage amounts. There was also the weird Panasonic Q in Japan for the Gamecube in case you wanted DVD playback. Then you have the iQue consoles in China.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I just really doubt that the Wii U confusion was any significant number of people, it was like some sort of GameStop urban legend where maybe a couple dozen grandmas over the lifecycle of the console accidentally bought the wrong thing which turned into this widespread epidemic according to people on Nintendo forums.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

io_burn posted:

I just really doubt that the Wii U confusion was any significant number of people, it was like some sort of GameStop urban legend where maybe a couple dozen grandmas over the lifecycle of the console accidentally bought the wrong thing which turned into this widespread epidemic according to people on Nintendo forums.

I mean you're extremely wrong, it was literally the issue with the wii u launch. They didn't show the system, so even "gamers" had no clue until later.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

io_burn posted:

I think it is something that can be explained within 15 seconds, so it's fine.

I mean, there are other console updates that are more confusing. Like try explaining somebody the differences between the XBox 360 S, E, Core, Pro, Elite, Super Elite, and Arcade without busting out a table.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

io_burn posted:

If u talk to a lot of ppl...u realize, most ppl have no idea what’s goin on at any point in time & operate off an unimaginably small amount of info .
U & I, we know computer game, but many do not

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gently caress this lite news, ITS TIME FOR REAL NEWS (unless its already been posted? first i've im hearing of this)

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
rating for a NEW SUPER MONKEY BALL FOR SWITCH has been found.
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3396...uJUxzBOaVnZ5l3U

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I had no clue if the Wii U was a new console or just a cool enhancement for the Wii until awhile after the announcement.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Aren't there moons in Mario Odyssey where you need to locate them with the rumble? Are they going to patch those or will the Mini be unable to 100% one of their flagship titles

e: ooh monkey ball

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vikar Jerome posted:

gently caress this lite news, ITS TIME FOR REAL NEWS (unless its already been posted? first i've im hearing of this)

rating for a NEW SUPER MONKEY BALL FOR SWITCH has been found.
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3396...uJUxzBOaVnZ5l3U

gently caress yes. An HD collection of 1&2 combined would own.

Procrastine posted:

Aren't there moons in Mario Odyssey where you need to locate them with the rumble? Are they going to patch those or will the Mini be unable to 100% one of their flagship titles

They’ll definitely patch it.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

LODGE NORTH posted:

I had no clue if the Wii U was a new console or just a cool enhancement for the Wii until awhile after the announcement.

And you wouldn't have bothered to spend 30 seconds figuring this out before spending $350 on a Wii U?

acems
May 8, 2019

Procrastine posted:

HD Rumble is a joycon hardware feature. It will be work with external joycons.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I can't remember the differences between any electronics that aren't numbered sequentially. I don't even know what the best iPhone is anymore.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Vikar Jerome posted:

whats all this joycon drift stuff people keep mentioning? i have a launch unit and haven't noticed anything weird with my cons yet. is it another "joycons near body of water dropped connection" & "dock stratches switch screen when thrown into dock 7 feet away through a bag of nails" thing that people were getting back in the day or an actual real concern?

Drift - I treat my Switch very well but I've been getting it a lot lately. I'll have had it for two years in November.

Scratches - the corners of the dock are stupidly abrasive and can scratch by just slightly touching the screen.

io_burn posted:

Parents and relatives?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

io_burn posted:

It was bad enough that Nintendo addressed it themselves from what I recall, so yeah, it was confusing.

I mean, you gotta realize that most people aren't massive nerds that follow every bit of gaming news like everyone on the SA Games board, there's people outside that casually game and aren't going to know the difference.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I can't remember the differences between any electronics that aren't numbered sequentially. I don't even know what the best iPhone is anymore.

Same, I just go to the store where they sell phones and spend $1,000 on one at random.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I mean, you gotta realize that most people aren't massive nerds that follow every bit of gaming news like everyone on the SA Games board, there's people outside that casually game and aren't going to know the difference.

Sure, but most people carry a device in their pocket where they can type "difference between switch lite and switch" into Google before randomly spending $200 to $300 on something they don't know anything about.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’ll definitely patch it.

toxx it

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

acems posted:

HD Rumble is a joycon hardware feature. It will be work with external joycons.

So you need to buy extra joycons? Do we even know if you can connect external joycons? There's no kickstand on the back either

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Some people try to make it seem like the wii u concept was just so awful society at large rejected it, when the fact is they never knew it existed. The marketing for the system launch was awful and focused on a Fisher Price looking tablet, and third parties dropped it right at launch, meaning it never got any public traction.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

this is not The 3DS, this is Nintendo's new main console. While they've had tons of alternate colors or special edition colors for their consoles in the past, this is the first time they've made an alternate edition of a main console.

Isn't this like more wrong than it is right?

NES has a toploader edition and a sea of random rear end variants
SNES has the SNES Mini
N64 has nothing
Gamecube had the Panasonic Q
Wii had the Wii Mini and the version of the Wii without any GC or SD ports
Wii U had the 32GB and 8GB versions

io_burn posted:

And you wouldn't have bothered to spend 30 seconds figuring this out before spending $350 on a Wii U?

No, I definitely did. I initially didn't care to because I had casted the Wii off already and didn't really care for anything else about it. I found out new games that i was interested in were coming to it and then found out it was a whole new console.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

io_burn posted:

Same, I just go to the store where they sell phones and spend $1,000 on one at random.

This is basically exactly what ppl do with 2 year phone plans

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So the switch lite doesn't have HD rumble. Does this mean it has non-HD rumble, or no rumble?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Procrastine posted:

So you need to buy extra joycons? Do we even know if you can connect external joycons? There's no kickstand on the back either

You can, it said so in the trailer.

Also, it took me a while to realize the Wii U was a proper console itself, not just some weird tablet thing.

acems
May 8, 2019

Procrastine posted:

You can connect external joycons per the announcement.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

People that primarily play handheld even at home: what's the reason? Nothing to connect it to? Roommate that perpetually hogs the TV? Just enjoy playing in bed that much?

My roommates watch a lot of TV and I hardly ever do, and I'm happy to just do it on my PC upstairs, so my Switch gaming is usually done while lying in bed. That said, I do still play docked on occasion, particularly if I bring my Switch over to a friend's and we all play Jackbox or something.

I have a Jumpgate, so that plus the usual tech stuff I carry with me (cables, power bank, wall charger) means I can play docked anywhere, even without an outlet (I specifically picked a power bank that can output at 45W to use docked mode).

Vikar Jerome posted:

whats all this joycon drift stuff people keep mentioning? i have a launch unit and haven't noticed anything weird with my cons yet. is it another "joycons near body of water dropped connection" & "dock stratches switch screen when thrown into dock 7 feet away through a bag of nails" thing that people were getting back in the day or an actual real concern?

It's a very real thing, and I think somebody did a teardown that showed how it's basically a question of when, not if.

The stick will either get stuck jiggling around near the zero position and/or take longer to reset to zero, both of which will present as unintended stick inputs, either dragging your cursor in a direction or making your character crouch for slightly longer than you intended.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

I have housemates and I'm ADHD as gently caress, I don't wanna be like 'hey could you stop playing co-op with your kids so I can noodle around in Zelda for twenty minutes and then wander off?' Also I like playing in my room, and I like handheld mode because I can jam on some headphones. Also I don't have to worry about one of the children getting an eyeful of Bayonetta.

I basically see the dock as a chain, trapping me in the living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

acems posted:

You can connect external joycons per the announcement.

OK but how do you play with joycons. There's no kickstand so do you just have to put it flat on a table? That seems like an uncomfortable way to play but I guess it works. Still hosed up that you would have to buy extra controllers for it though.