Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I started watching Evangelion the other day on a recommendation from a friend even though I'm not really an anime guy at all. It's pretty cool I guess.

Today I saw my first anime girl car in the wild.

Butterfly effect, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

STR posted:

They exist.

What bugs the poo poo out of me at my current apartment is the fan can only be turned on if the lights are already on. There's 6x40w incandescents above the vanity, I don't want to leave those on just to leave the fart sucker running. I tried to fix it once, but got in over my head with the 3 way switches. I need to get a non-contact tester and figure out what wires are what.

That fan is the stuff of loving nightmares

You have to flip two switches to turn the fan on? They hosed up that wiring, if you take the switches out of the box and shoot me a labeled picture I can probably figure out how.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Previa_fun posted:

I started watching Evangelion the other day on a recommendation from a friend even though I'm not really an anime guy at all. It's pretty cool I guess.

Today I saw my first anime girl car in the wild.

Butterfly effect, man.

I was obsessed with that show when I was a kid. Just noticed it's on netflix now. I wont be watching it for fear of embarrassing myself to death

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I got the O2 sensor tools yesterday, and I'm glad I bought the 3 pack of crowsfoot, deep crowsfoot, and deep slotted socket. I am not a big fan of the slotted sockets because back in the day I had a stock O2 sensor that would just flare out the socket, but the crowsfoot took it right off because it was more rigid.

Anyway, the deep crowsfoot fit right in the new sensor, so I thought I was good. Then I went to the car and the cup around the original sensor was too small for the deep crowsfoot to fit. :mad:

Thankfully, I had the deep slotted socket and it fit in, barely. I wasn't happy with it at that point, and I didn't want to mess around, so I got out the new Milwaukee nut buster and blasted that motherfucker right out.

When I got it out, I could see a spot on the sealing side of the old sensor where exhaust has been blowing by for a while, which explains why the check engine light would go off on longer trips, since it'd expand and seal.

I hope the new sensor fixes the problem, I've been watching it for years and figured it was that sensor. I'll be kinda mad at myself if this does fix it and I could have solve the problem years ago if I wasn't so lazy (and hesitant to spend money in a guess fix).

Edit: Pic, sorry for the blurriness.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 10, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What was the DTC? Front or rear o2?

Right tool for the job makes all the difference. I don't know how many times I've struggled with poo poo trying to use what I've got vs. what I NEED before breaking down and buying the odd shaped/short/long/right wrench or whatever. Most recent one I can think of is trying to get the oil drain line back on a Subaru EJ25 turbo. Holy poo poo it's impossible to do it and get the clamp in there without long neck needlenose pliers IIRC.

This is not meant to invoke CT to :eng101: but I'm sure it's coming one way or another. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
BIL had open-heart surgery on Monday to replace a bad valve. MIL met with cardiologist yesterday, who told her...she has a bad valve.

BIL is my sister's husband, no relation to MIL.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 10, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

BIL had open-heart surgery on Monday to replace a bad valve. MIL met with cardiologist yesterday, who told her...she has a bad valve.

BIL is my sister's husband, no relation to MIL.

Wow, that's a lot at once. The good news is that heart valves are like legos in modern medicine, so hopefully they'll both be fixed up and recovering soon.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Wow, that's a lot at once. The good news is that heart valves are like legos in modern medicine, so hopefully they'll both be fixed up and recovering soon.

MIL already has cath scheduled for tomorrow, so she's on the fast track.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Right tool for the job makes all the difference.

I’m a big believer in this and used to espouse that to 14id all the time. Now I’m looking at all the ashes of the sometimes-ok, occasionally decent-to-good stuff I had collected over the past ~15 years and having funny moments trying to decide what I need and want.

Probably should just get most things as needed but it’s weird being back at a fewer-tools-than-college stage and trying to decide what are the staples etc.

Frankly won’t need to deal with most of that for a while. I’m of half a mind to set up a proper shop in the corner of whatever we build.

Unrelated: day trip to SLC, here we go...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

piss boner
May 17, 2003

CarGurus my man. That car has been on that lot 11 days and they also verify 2 owners. If you can wait until it is as close as possible to 90 days then the price will plummet. I saved around $4k waiting 80 days on my newest used car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

Does this mean we are going to hang out?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elviscat posted:

You have to flip two switches to turn the fan on? They hosed up that wiring, if you take the switches out of the box and shoot me a labeled picture I can probably figure out how.

:effort: I'll try and get around to it. I did get the fan to come on separately at one point, but only if the hall switch was in one position. Decided I should put it all back the way it was. There's several sins in that box (like the ground wire from the switches to nowhere - they're about an inch long, i guess to pass visual).

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't that the uncharacteristically boring DOHC V6 that was in the Solara with the lazy slushbox

It is, but it's overbuilt to the point that the block and crank can handle 600+ hp. Here's a 700+ HP 1MZ-FE Camry for your amusement. Here's the same Camry with a frankenstein 1MZ/3MZ and a ton of money thrown at it putting out 900 hp.

But yeah, to get to the rear plugs, or valve cover, the upper intake has to come off.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Monitor chat: is 43" too big?

I am setting up a home office again, and I have a dozen monitors or more here at my shop I could take home (run a small computer store). But I also have a Samsung commecial grade 43" TV that my uncle had won in a sales contest before he passed away. It is new in the box. I have no need for it at home as far as TV's go, but would like to utilize it instead of selling it since it was really the only thing of value he had. But I am worried it is just too big or text won't be clear, etc...

Thoughts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

But yeah, to get to the rear plugs, or valve cover, the upper intake has to come off.

With some creative extensions and swivel-fu, you can do the rear plugs with the intake on, but it's not pretty.

Another day, another dealership fuckery story. Dead lead from a couple days ago contacted me and asked if there was anything they could do. I made them an offer, made sure they knew it was a bottom line offer, they accepted.

Found that the exhaust pipe to the muffler and the muffler itself was crushed (looked like it backed over something), they wouldn't move, so I was going to eat that.

After spending my entire loving morning going over stuff, salesman sends me a worksheet with a $250 documentation fee added. That's not "bottom line," gently caress heads. :fuckoff:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

I am setting up a home office again, and I have a dozen monitors or more here at my shop I could take home (run a small computer store). But I also have a Samsung commecial grade 43" TV that my uncle had won in a sales contest before he passed away. It is new in the box. I have no need for it at home as far as TV's go, but would like to utilize it instead of selling it since it was really the only thing of value he had. But I am worried it is just too big or text won't be clear, etc...

Thoughts?

How old is the 43"? What's the resolution?

In TV chat, I have been sad that the market has moved away from 70" and left the choices at 65" or 75". I've got a 65" right now, wife acceptance of a 70" is approved, 75" is sketchy. In the meantime, I bumped into this deal at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-...type=10&veh=aff

65" 4k TV for under $400 delivered after tax? Worth a shot.

It showed up yesterday and god drat, it blows away my 4 year old 1080p mid-line Visio in every objective way. Smaller bezel, brighter, better colors, way better blacks, more vibrant, much better sharpness and detail, etc.

For that price it's an absolute ripping deal. I'll get by with this one for a year or two and see where the industry heads.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah, 75" is just too big for our new living room but the 70" we have is not long for this world. I think we'll make due with a 65" TCL 6 series and just scoot the couch a few inches closer and buy a long-arm wall mount.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Tremek posted:

If you weren't aware Epic Brewing Co in SLC makes some of the best bourbon barrel aged beers in the country if that's your thing...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

Thoughts?

I'd rather have multiple smaller FHD displays than one big one. More usable desktop real estate and icons and text won't be loving massive on the screen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've never understood the desire for huge TVs. We have a little 40" at home that is still quite nice and works fine, but it seems like it's impossible to get something that size anymore. We are staying in another city for the summer in a furnished apartment and the TV here is fuckin huge. I don't think it's meaningfully improved the quality of my tv watching.

Some of it may be that I grew up without a TV so my standards are low. Also commercials: super weird

For monitors, I find anything bigger than about 26" is too big to see in its entirety on the desk and at that point you should just have multiple monitors.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Geoj posted:

I'd rather have multiple smaller FHD displays than one big one. More usable desktop real estate and icons and text won't be loving massive on the screen.

I've got one 3400x1440 21:9 ultrawide in the center, and two 27 inch flanking it, one on the left being in portrait mode. Being able to have so much screen is a boon to any activity you can imagine and I'll be hard pressed to give it up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I wish people would quit frequently asking how I got a black eye. I just have bags under my eyes man, leave me alone :(

E:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the desire for huge TVs. We have a little 40" at home that is still quite nice and works fine, but it seems like it's impossible to get something that size anymore. We are staying in another city for the summer in a furnished apartment and the TV here is fuckin huge. I don't think it's meaningfully improved the quality of my tv watching.

Some of it may be that I grew up without a TV so my standards are low. Also commercials: super weird

I had/still have a little 38" Samsung or something for most of my adult life so far, and recently got a 50" TCL like a year or two ago. While it's not a huge gently caress off TV, I love the extra screen real estate :shrug:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 10, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

How old is the 43"? What's the resolution?

It's a Samsung 1080 2019 Commercial Grade TV (meant for displays or hotel use, restaurants etc...)

I don't really want to use it as a monitor but I hate for it to just sit here. I use a 23" touchscreen monitor at work and I find it ideal, but I sit close to it. My desk for my office at home is MASSIVE so I could set the monitor a few feet away at least if I did use the 43"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the desire for huge TVs. We have a little 40" at home that is still quite nice and works fine, but it seems like it's impossible to get something that size anymore.

Costco and Target both have a shitload of sets at 50" and below.

I'm in no rush to replace my main TV, it's an older-ish 60" 1080p. With the thinner bezels on modern sets I could probably do a 65" in its place, but at the viewing distance my living room is set up for, the jump to 4K wouldn't do anything but increase how much bandwidth I use on the internet. Maybe I should just reorient my living room by 90 degrees.

My bedroom TV is an old 32" Roku and I mostly want to replace it because it's the equivalent of a very early Roku device in terms of hardware. Screen is fine but most modern streaming apps, Plex in particular, are really sluggish on it now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

It's a Samsung 1080 2019 Commercial Grade TV (meant for displays or hotel use, restaurants etc...)

I don't really want to use it as a monitor but I hate for it to just sit here. I use a 23" touchscreen monitor at work and I find it ideal, but I sit close to it. My desk for my office at home is MASSIVE so I could set the monitor a few feet away at least if I did use the 43"

For me, resolution is much more important than size with a monitor. I've got a 4k display on my 17" laptop and the difference going from 1440 to 4k was huge. 1080 for a monitor would hurt my eyes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

For me, resolution is much more important than size with a monitor. I've got a 4k display on my 17" laptop and the difference going from 1440 to 4k was huge. 1080 for a monitor would hurt my eyes.

I don't have anything above 1080 so I wouldn't mind that, I don't really want to open this TV box just to find the text is blurry though. Not sure what to do.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have an LG 43" 4k monitor for work. It has 4 HDMI inputs so I'm using it as 4 monitors. Works out to a bezelless quad of 22" 1080p.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I still need to get a nice stand for my home monitors, but I've got way too much maintenance deficit on cars and house to think about it right now. Hell, only last year did I make the jump to a matched pair of 1080 IPS, I'd been using scavenged TN panels for years. Also, I really want one of those 144hz IPS panels but hooooo boy are they pricey.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile I'm using a mismatched 22" pair - a 10 year old Samsung and a 7 year old Acer. At least both are 1920x1080, but still TFT.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
IPS was life changing for me. I had to upgrade because new mid-high GPUs are almost exclusively Dport and HDMI, and all my old poo poo was DVI. I figured "why not get something nice if you have to buy new?"

You can get decent 1080 IPS panels for under $200 these days, I think I got my pair for $160/ea.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 10, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

everdave posted:

If you sit far away from it then it'll be nice, but otherwise convert it to TV use and get a monitor with higher resolution. I use two 27" 1080 monitors at work and while the resolution is a little low, it's enough for me. I have my eye on one of the ultrawide 35" for future use though, it's basically 4k with the top chopped off.

Speaking of monitors and resolution, I just replayed the original Deus Ex - what a great game. Even though the graphics suck it still holds up as far as entertainment. I even played non-lethal and it was really interesting, I barely got any experience points and I couldn't upgrade my skills hardly at all until I started killing the poo poo out of everyone. My first kill of the game was Anna in the 747 (I tried not to but the game forces it), and I even kept it up and made Gunther kill himself so it wasn't on my conscience. I only started killing after getting the dragon's tooth sword because it's fun as hell to kill with.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Korean monitors are insane value for money. They buy overstock or nearly-perfect QA-rejected panels (you're not going to notice 3 dead pixels in 4,000,000) from companies like Samsung or Apple, throw them into a cheap but functional frame and sell them. You basically get high end quality panels for a third of the price, I've had my 27" 1440p Yamakasi Catleap for 4-5 years now and it's perfect other than the stand being a bit cheap. I think I paid about $350 for it at a time when Samsungs were going for $1000.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A thing happened to me last night at about 2am

Drunk driver ran a red light. I lucked out, only a few broken ribs and feeling really beat up. Seat belt saved my life, wear your seat belts kidos.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Glad you're mostly okay AA.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Broken ribs stuck, but I'm glad you're mostly in one piece! That looks like a hard hit.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Drunk driver ran a red light. I lucked out, only a few broken ribs and feeling really beat up. Seat belt saved my life, wear your seat belts kidos.

drat man! Glad u semi-ok!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:piss: Glad you lived to post about it, that looks rough.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Goddamn! Airbags deploy?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Sheeeeeeeeyyyyaaaaat :stonk: glad to see you’re still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks guys. Steering wheel airbag went off but not the side bags for some reason. Pretty much a textbook front overlap, the car did it's job and i was able to walk from it (tho i don't remember that lol) one of the reasons I got the car was because of the good crash ratings.

The cops at the scene told me the other driver said "I ran a red light and somebody hit me" :v: