Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hurt my back at work, at a job that is entirely physical labor. I wasn't even doing anything that would specifically be damaging, just bending to pick up a light package(properly by The Methods, even!) and then GERK, my lower back was like AW HELL NAW. On a muscle relaxant and hopefully it's just a tweak and I'll be fine by monday, carefully make my way through the week, and rest up well the following week on vacation, but it still super sucks.

also, this. this also super sucks. harmony gold is a company that has been squatting on the robotech(and thus macross) license for decades and they will not let it loving go despite never doing anything with it, just using it to sue whoever they deem has gotten too close to the property. they tried to sue hasbro over a Jetfire figure because the original 80's Jetfire toy was originally a Macross Valkyrie, and the lawsuit went so poorly for them that hasbro can basically do whatever they want, probably even straight up release Macross figures in the US, and HG can't stop them. but still, this is garbage and the sycophantic wording of this article is the worst

https://twitter.com/denofgeekus/status/1147313094525255681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Intoluene posted:

I'm being sued for attacking someone I've never heard of (rather viciously, if this document I've got is to be believed) in a place I've never been to.

Look up the actual number of the courthouse and call to find out if it's a genuine summons. If it is, you have to show up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When we get big storms I get to go home early from work. I also love severe thunderstorms. There was a high chance of severe storms today. But not 100% chance and so far absolutely nothing has happened.

Edit: it stormed! Yay!

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Jul 7, 2019

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i had an abscess about two months ago that got lanced, leaving a big open wound that i've been routinely cleaning

last night, a clot inside of it fell out, leading to me just freely bleeding from it for the last fifteen or so hours.

it hurts. looking forward to having surgery to fix it. met two surgeons, they've passed me along both times because of my health complications.

it's near my butt. it has a connection to my rectum, causing it to function as a second butthole if stool is loose enough.

today has been unpleasant and messy and i want to become unconscious for the next 48 hours

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Second fuckmothering day in a row that my relief has been late. I am homicidal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got new work shoes yesterday as my old ones are falling apart. However, I didn't know until today that the shop doesn't actually glue the insoles down properly (in case the customer needs to change them for medical reasons) so on their maiden voyage the insoles got all unstuck from the shoe and stuck to themsleves. All the cobblers that could fix it are closed, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to get them fixed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got in my car to go to work and something in my exhaust made a loud GAJUNK noise and now it sounds like this when I hit the gas, so I get to take it to the shop and probably have to get something custom made because my car's so old the parts often aren't available wheeeeeeee

this coupled with the night at work upon walking in being The Worst It's Ever Been and working for like 12 hours nearly straight while having a tweak in my lower right back muscle, it's been a real great monday evening into tuesday morning

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Look up the actual number of the courthouse and call to find out if it's a genuine summons. If it is, you have to show up.

It's genuine, yes. Pre-trial conference in August

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I got in my car to go to work and something in my exhaust made a loud GAJUNK noise and now it sounds like this when I hit the gas, so I get to take it to the shop and probably have to get something custom made because my car's so old the parts often aren't available wheeeeeeee

this coupled with the night at work upon walking in being The Worst It's Ever Been and working for like 12 hours nearly straight while having a tweak in my lower right back muscle, it's been a real great monday evening into tuesday morning

If you wanna look on the bright side, your car probably has about 10 more horsepower right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It literally feels like it's vibrating apart if I go over 30mph, I'm just going to have AAA haul it to the mechanic, not taking it on the highway with that level of shakiness. I don't even want to think what it'd sound like at 60+ mph, it sounds like the above at 30.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
On the upside if it's external exhaust related it'll be relatively cheap and isn't hurting your car to run around until it's fixed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I just got back from a vacation that was about a week and a half in length.

Now that I’m back I realize I hate my job so much and the regulations they recently put in place are just exacerbating it. I’m planning on going back to school in fall, so I’m gonna cut down my hours a lot. However I’m not sure I even want to do this part time. I want to just quit but I don’t want to put myself back in debt again as not having to number crunch if I can go out to enjoy a meal or buy a video game has been nice.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Our habitual roommate lost his job and almost broke the microwave. We were hoping to get him moved out this weekend. Turns out he hasn't found another place to live either. We can't stand him but he literally has nowhere to go and I guess we're too softhearted to kick him out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

gently caress 'im, give him the boot. If you don't stick to your guns on this he's just going to make y'all miserable.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Going to have my wisdom teeth pulled this afternoon. It'll be nice to have it out of the way later, I guess, but... bleah.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

gently caress 'im, give him the boot. If you don't stick to your guns on this he's just going to make y'all miserable.

Yeah, boot his rear end. Deadbeats aren't your responsibility to reform unless he's a like a long time friend or something, and even then there's a point when you have to cut them off.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
best friend has a bleeding disorder, had surgery last week, today started bleeding too much and had to go back in for more surgery, I'm rly scared and anxious at work

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My new enzyme drops taste disgusting and create enough gas in my stomach that I feel nauseous and burp up that nasty taste frequently. I get to do this twice a day for the next 2 months. Hopefully diluting them in water will help.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
My day was ALMOST very lovely as a guy at the DMV momentarily lost my Social Security Card. That was a very tense 10 minutes of waiting and hoping that it didn't end up getting shredded or teleporting to the Plane of Lost Very Important Things.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Heat wave in the city I live in which is triggering dizzy spells in me. I can't afford ot miss work tho cause I lost most of may to being sick as gently caress, and I just moved into a rental townhouse and my rent is more expensive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ryonguy posted:

On the upside if it's external exhaust related it'll be relatively cheap and isn't hurting your car to run around until it's fixed.
The damage on my van's exhaust turned out to be the flex pipe completely rotting out and the catalytic converter having a half dollar sized hole punched into it as well as having a bunch of smaller holes/corrosion in it, and had to be fully replaced which cost half a grand. On the plus side, it now runs whisper quiet, but still, half a grand.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, boot his rear end. Deadbeats aren't your responsibility to reform unless he's a like a long time friend or something, and even then there's a point when you have to cut them off.

Gotta be careful, though. Depending on where you live, and how long he's been there, he likely had tenant's rights and queserasera can't just 'boot his rear end.'

If there's no signed lease (which I'm guessing is the case) then it's probably a 30 day notice though some places have less, some more, but almost certainly can't just kick him out right away.

Context:

Locked my keys in my truck while I'm at a park and ride after getting dropped off from my carpool.

My truck has this very annoying quirk that's common on a lot of cars where it locks the doors right after you start it. I had to recharge my AC, which requires the engine running. So I open the driver's side door, pop the hood, stick the key in the ignition, start it, (all while just leaning into the car, so door still open) and without thinking close the door to recharge the AC.

Door is now locked, engine running, keys in ignition.

gently caress me.

Had to wait almost an hour for my GF to get to where I was with the spare key.

And my AC is still not really working right...so now both my cars have broken air conditioning ( I have a car and truck, was driving the truck cause it's AC worked until recently.)

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Was looking forward to having a cold beer while sitting on the roof of my apartment with a gentle sun above me. No sun now, just cloudy. Still got that beer so not a total loss.

Edit: Here comes the sun dudududu. Here comes the sun and I say..

Midig has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 11, 2019

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Second fuckmothering day in a row that my relief has been late. I am homicidal.

Do they just never fire them?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

America is a capitalist hellhole where workers are fired for no reason because of right to work and also somehow never fired despite being terrible employees

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Got a call back from a company I had an interview with recently, and they basically told me I'm 'overqualified' for the position. gently caress. I need to eat and pay bills. A few days ago, I heard back from another place I applied to and didn't even get into the interview round.

Then I went for a jog to try and make myself feel better, and a guy not paying attention trying to make a right on red almost hit me in the goddamn cross walk.

I think I pissed off some higher power. I have so much anxiety and existential dread about my life that's been ongoing for months with this lovely job search.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

America is a capitalist hellhole where workers are fired for no reason because of right to work and also somehow never fired despite being terrible employees

If it's a small company it's incredibly easy to get fired. If it's a large company it's close to impossible. That's how both those statements can be true at the same time.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

We're aware of the tenants' rights he now has (sigh) and we're doing it the legal way. I just hate that it had to come to this. I feel like he really teabagged our kindness and we've all agreed to get the house more in order (i.e. fumigate the drat place because he's the epitome of foul bachelor frog) before reopening the guest room.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's not the end of the world, I know that, but this was a bad tech day.

I discovered that our Web space, which we run off our home server, was hacked by someone who rm -rf'ed anything they had permission to delete. Just for shits and grins, as far as I can tell. There wasn't much pertinent on there, and I'm pretty sure we have local backups of everything that was there, but it's still going to be a pain in the rear end to restore it all (if we even bother).

My keyboard, which I had bought because it's the quietest one I could find, kept randomly switching into "game mode" such that a key would suddenly repeat, which is not acceptable when you type for a living. My mouse would hiccup, too. I thought it was because they were plugged into the hub in my monitor, so I ordered a hub that plugged directly into my new laptop (which does not otherwise have enough USB ports, WTF). The hub arrived today, but the keyboard was no better. Dug around, found a firmware update on the manufacturer's site, ran it; it failed. Ran it again and it "failed to erase" something and bricked my keyboard entirely. It was only ten months old. :mad:

So if anyone has any recommendations for really really quiet keyboards...hmu in PM.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Right to work has nothing to do with this; you're thinking of at-will employment. Right-to-work is about being able to work in a union shop without paying union dues, in other words being a worthless scab gently caress but you're protected by law.

And useless shitheads are kept around because below a certain level of jobs you take what you can get because anybody worth a poo poo quits as soon as they finish school/get a better career. Hence the only long timers are 50% worthless morons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People frequently mix up the two though, presumably because they're usually paired up I'd guess?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I woke up at 4am to an email that my reserved hire car for my wedding in Scotland in October, a sweet 1971 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 coupe in pale yellow, has been involved in some accident and won't be available. :mad:

And I'm leaving in like 5 days to Chile to be offshore two months doing scientific research. So I've been searching all day trying to find another suitable classic, and gently caress if that wasn't apparently the only E-Type available for hire in all of loving Scotland. There's a Ferrari 206 Dino I can have delivered up from London in approximately the same price range, or an E-Type roadster, but they're both red, and red against the colors of the Scottish highlands in fall? Also I have luggage. So now I'm having to switch gears and go with something modern, and I guess I'm just going to go with an SUV of some type, and Range Rover are nice, though I'm not really super familiar with their line, anyway it's super frustrating having to make changes at this point when I'm about to leave the country. Do I just go cheapish and kinda nice to save a bunch of dollarpounds since I went waaay over budget on my suit, or do I spend what I've already budgeted and just try to get the most for my money? I don't know and I don't want to have to worry about this poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Probably a repeat, but I've had a few days off, and my body has decided the best way to do that is just obliterate my circadian rhythm. I'm tired when I should be awake, awake when I should be tired, and more than one case of waking up to realize it's super early or super late.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My sleep schedule is an absolute disaster and I started having flashbacks again. Yay.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Midig posted:

Do they just never fire them?
They did!
This was an entirely different person! :shepicide:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure I should just abandon my attempts to grow houseplants (specifically succulents), because I seemingly have a black thumb at it. One minute I see something that tells me its a sign of being underwatered, next minute things are dying of what appears to be overwatering-based root rot. I'd be more okay with it if it was a random hobby that didn't involve living things, because I am not cool with living things dying because I am bad at it.

I'd post more in the SA thread about planting, but I already have and frankly, I'm annoying myself with the HALP PLANT IS DYING WHY stuff I have to post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been kinda down this vacation for some reason, depression just kinda kicked in out of nowhere and it killed my drive to get much done. I've still gotten about ~half of what I wanted to get done out of the way this week, but it's also just kinda been a blase bummer the last couple days.

And then someone murdered 34 people at kyoto animation in japan, pouring gasoline all over the building and people and then setting it all on fire, and it's just been a nightmare to follow. both the massive loss of life by some psychopath who screamed "DIE!" as he doused the exits and lobby in gasoline and set it ablaze, and also the total loss of the primary studio of one of the better animation studios(both quality and treating their employees well) out of japan, as well as the complete loss of everything in the building, as there were no offsite backups. It's just horrific and cripplingly sad.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been kinda down this vacation for some reason, depression just kinda kicked in out of nowhere and it killed my drive to get much done. I've still gotten about ~half of what I wanted to get done out of the way this week, but it's also just kinda been a blase bummer the last couple days.

And then someone murdered 34 people at kyoto animation in japan, pouring gasoline all over the building and people and then setting it all on fire, and it's just been a nightmare to follow. both the massive loss of life by some psychopath who screamed "DIE!" as he doused the exits and lobby in gasoline and set it ablaze, and also the total loss of the primary studio of one of the better animation studios(both quality and treating their employees well) out of japan, as well as the complete loss of everything in the building, as there were no offsite backups. It's just horrific and cripplingly sad.

I'm feeling with you, been suffering from depression for almost 8 months now.

Are you on any kind of medication for it? If no, see if your doctor can give you a prescription for Venlafaxin - that have helped me so much, and if you can, see if there's a group for depression sufferers in your area?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I'm okay, I take stuff, depression just hits me hard despite the medication sometimes and makes me just veg out when it gets me is all(also considering stopping taking the stuff because I'm not a fan of the side effects). probably a combination of that and the weather, it's insanely humid right now. loving rain already god drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
ive been getting depresser than usual and also real mad like a hornet cuz it's hot out, plus i been having minor cashflow issues waiting on my monthly commission check; finally got the money sorted out today and went to get tickets to see Orville Peck, which ive been excited about for weeks.... and by the time I got the money now, every single show in the northeast US is sold out, and it's a pretty minor thing to get bummed about but I'm bummed af nevertheless tbh