Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

qirex posted:

I'd guess this company bought an online survey for tens of thousands of dollars from a workforce optimization consulting firm because the hiring managers kept loving up or the ceo took a 10 question online "iq test" 15 years ago and scored 150

Oh definitely, you could tell it was some "online IQ test" thing wrapped with some corporate-speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah apparently for my position they only go for over-130 IQ people... which is definitely loving weird. They didn't tell me how I did either, lol.

holy poo poo don't work there even if you get an offer

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh definitely, you could tell it was some "online IQ test" thing wrapped with some corporate-speak.

I got one of these once only it was also bundled with a "personality quiz" which asked the weirdest questions like "are you friends with the opposite sex" and "are you lonely". I turned them down via email before I even bothered finishing it, there is no good job behind that thing.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

holy poo poo don't work there even if you get an offer

haha ah poo poo yeah I didn't even really think about what this means for the current staff - they're all going to be mensa weirdos aren't they

fuuuuuuck me, yeah let's look someplace else

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

the problem is not youll be working with insufferable smart people

the problem is that youll be working FOR incredibly stupid people

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jimbola posted:

yeah i think the process needs to be reworked really. it seems that the recruitment flow here (UK) is:

1. 30 minute chat with non technical hr person
2. 4-6 hour take home test
3. talking to tech people/on sites if you get through step 2

it's way too early in the process in my mind. you're not going to want to invest 4-6 hours unpaid for just some job.

ideally they'd get you on site to do some kind of pair programming exercise/work on a real problem, but then i guess that would involve a bit of effort on their part.

Yeah this is my experience for the UK too, sometimes the test is on site instead but take homes are quite common. From what other people have told me assessment centres are used by some of the bigger companies as well, I've never had that misfortune yet though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We're in London and do a 1 hr onsite test, you have to really bomb it to not get an interview. I think that's reasonable. Anything much longer is harsh on the candidates as even if you do a good job, fulfilling the unknown "objective" assessment criteria on an open ended project is going to be moderately random.

Fanaticism
Jan 7, 2019
"we want a senior profile experienced in k8s and muh containers". Get interviewed by some dunning-krugering dev, try to patiently and compassionately correct some of his incredibly incorrect beliefs about these things. "Oh sorry we think you don't know enough AWS." sure :v

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Yeah this is my experience for the UK too, sometimes the test is on site instead but take homes are quite common. From what other people have told me assessment centres are used by some of the bigger companies as well, I've never had that misfortune yet though.

Hmm, my UK experience is usually - non-technical chat with HR person/internal recruiter; quick phone/Skype screen (an hour or so maybe) with questions to establish things like 'do I know how endianness works' or fizzbuzz or w/e; then in-person interview for half a day or so. I don't know if the fact that I'm not in London, or that I'm an experienced senior-level guy and not a newbie, make any difference here, though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zzubzzif

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Hmm, my UK experience is usually - non-technical chat with HR person/internal recruiter; quick phone/Skype screen (an hour or so maybe) with questions to establish things like 'do I know how endianness works' or fizzbuzz or w/e; then in-person interview for half a day or so. I don't know if the fact that I'm not in London, or that I'm an experienced senior-level guy and not a newbie, make any difference here, though.

Could be, I only have a couple of years experience myself. Or it could just be anecdotal. For what it's worth companies without a lot of developers seemed better about it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 10, 2019

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
finished interview with a company yesterday. before the in person, I wrote ~3 pages towards a questionnaire (like ‘describe a project that pushed your comfort levels’ type stuff), quick phone screen, ~1 hr hacker rank problem. at the in person i white board diagrammed my current work project, talked about that + general interview stuff for 1 hr, followed that up with a 1 hr pairing session, iteratively coding up a solution to pass a test suite. seems like a lot of stuff to do having written it all out but it never felt too onerous and stretched over a month as I’ve been taking a lot of vacation. good vibes out to everyone playing the waiting game too 🤞🏼

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So after having the recruiter check my references, email me monday to tell me she will be emailing me tuesday, have that change into a call with the director of engineering, to having that call rescheduled to this afternoon. I came away with the information that the recruiter will be sending me an email tomorrow.

seriously frustrated. i am going to get every penny i can in negotiation.

director wanted to talk to make sure company and my vision for the role aligned, like i appreciate it but we went over this when we talked in person dawg.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Frustration is temporary but figgies are forever (until they aren't)

Anyway good luck

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
after a couple rounds of interviews i was informed by hr that they are trying to secure funding for new projects before they make any hiring decisions. what the hell am i supposed to do with that information. feels like they wasted my time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

barkbell posted:

after a couple rounds of interviews i was informed by hr that they are trying to secure funding for new projects before they make any hiring decisions. what the hell am i supposed to do with that information. feels like they wasted my time.
thats a line theyre feeding you

they made an offer to someone else, theyre waiting to see if he accepts/turns out okay but they want to keep you as a backup in case he turns them down/flakes so they concocted this story about hr funding to string you along

just shrug, remember the title of this thread, and pound out another batch of applications

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that also could be a diplomatic way of saying “the funding for this position was cut and the hiring manager is scrambling”

either way not promising

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Shaggar posted:

of course it did, otherwise it wouldn't be chili

Just wanted to reply to this.

Real chili has no beans.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ither posted:

Real chili has no beans.

there is no such thing as "real chili"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

texas has terrible barbecue and also they think chili should be a textureless flavourless meat paste, what a garbage state

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is relocation just impossible these days? My company moved me to Florida and I just loving hate it here, but even with 12 years experience as a full stack I get to the phone interview and the conversation is just about how ridiculous it is to expect me to move. I'm not even getting to the tech interview these days because they don't want to move me. I've got to start lowering my price or explicitly saying I'm not expecting them to cover the move. I just can't take living in this fuckhole of a state anymore.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

Willzilla posted:

finished interview with a company yesterday. before the in person, I wrote ~3 pages towards a questionnaire (like ‘describe a project that pushed your comfort levels’ type stuff), quick phone screen, ~1 hr hacker rank problem. at the in person i white board diagrammed my current work project, talked about that + general interview stuff for 1 hr, followed that up with a 1 hr pairing session, iteratively coding up a solution to pass a test suite. seems like a lot of stuff to do having written it all out but it never felt too onerous and stretched over a month as I’ve been taking a lot of vacation. good vibes out to everyone playing the waiting game too 🤞🏼

offer-chat: accepted @ 80k (having ~2 yr exp. in midwest)

:stoked:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Is relocation just impossible these days? My company moved me to Florida and I just loving hate it here, but even with 12 years experience as a full stack I get to the phone interview and the conversation is just about how ridiculous it is to expect me to move. I'm not even getting to the tech interview these days because they don't want to move me. I've got to start lowering my price or explicitly saying I'm not expecting them to cover the move. I just can't take living in this fuckhole of a state anymore.

This seems really weird to me, in my experience HR practically clacks its heels when you say you're open to relocation. Maybe let the issue sit until you're at the offer stage?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

This seems really weird to me, in my experience HR practically clacks its heels when you say you're open to relocation. Maybe let the issue sit until you're at the offer stage?

That's been my experience before too. When I worked in Kentucky and San Diego, I got relocation offers. It's only ever since I've gotten to Florida. I literally replaced the part of my resume that shows my current location with Current Location | Available to Relocate.

But I feel like maybe it's because I'm applying to jobs in New England - the talent pool that's closer has to be pretty robust.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ither posted:

Real chili has no beans.

that makes no sense. it cant be chili unless it has beans

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

usually its only possible with larger companies. Does your current company have other offices to which they could move you?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

usually its only possible with larger companies. Does your current company have other offices to which they could move you?

That was the problem in the first place, ha. My current company has moved me 3 times in the past 8 years. I'm kind of the guy they send to a place to whip a lagging project into shape and meet deadlines (not that you'd know it from looking at my salary). Now that I'm older I just want to settle down, but I don't want to settle down here.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
time to renegotiate your compensation package.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

That's been my experience before too. When I worked in Kentucky and San Diego, I got relocation offers. It's only ever since I've gotten to Florida. I literally replaced the part of my resume that shows my current location with Current Location | Available to Relocate.

But I feel like maybe it's because I'm applying to jobs in New England - the talent pool that's closer has to be pretty robust.

I would just take location off of your resume altogether, and let the whole relocation thing be an incidental footnote when you apply. You want to get as far into the process as possible without digging into the details on that one. If you adequately entice them, your relocation should be an afterthought. If you're truly desperate to get out, you may end up having to eat that cost, unfortunately.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

dragon enthusiast posted:

time to renegotiate your compensation package.

Yeah that's another reason I'm out. My last increase didn't even cover my increased rent. At our reviews, which take place 3 months after merit increases because of course, I explained that I deserve a raise and they said "well we really want to, but that's a budget thing and we can't do that until October." I said that's bullshit, pressed the issue, but they just referred me to HR and HR said we can't do raises mid-year.

So yeah, they could triple my salary at this point, it doesn't matter. The disrespect has rotted the relationship. I've been half-assing everything I do because they are just not paying for my whole rear end.

It really doesn't help that most of my job is looking for problems in other peoples' code and you see the people getting paid more than you are not really meriting their level of pay. Today I'm looking at a piece of code that is used literally company-wide and what's the first line? var foo = eval(bar). I about poo poo myself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you probably need to talk to larger companies

a FAANG or something that pretends they are one will happily move you to silicon valley, seatle, nyc, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ither posted:

Real chili has no beans.

chili without beans is a meat sauce.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah that's another reason I'm out. My last increase didn't even cover my increased rent. At our reviews, which take place 3 months after merit increases because of course, I explained that I deserve a raise and they said "well we really want to, but that's a budget thing and we can't do that until October." I said that's bullshit, pressed the issue, but they just referred me to HR and HR said we can't do raises mid-year.

So yeah, they could triple my salary at this point, it doesn't matter. The disrespect has rotted the relationship. I've been half-assing everything I do because they are just not paying for my whole rear end.

It really doesn't help that most of my job is looking for problems in other peoples' code and you see the people getting paid more than you are not really meriting their level of pay. Today I'm looking at a piece of code that is used literally company-wide and what's the first line? var foo = eval(bar). I about poo poo myself.

HR doesn't matter at all and your boss can get a raise thru if they wanted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

chili without beans is a meat sauce.

like skyline "chili" which is obviously not chili.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HR exists so the company has plausible deniability

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

Exactly. He's who I started with because I thought we had a professional enough relationship I could just point out the obvious, but he did this goose chase crap. It's about disrespect at this point. 12 years with this place and they're going to try to pull that poo poo with me. Just fuckin sucks and now I feel trapped.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

depends on the size of the company a bit but in general its true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hr is the "cover your rear end" department

its only important function is compliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah the ‘hr won’t let us’ excuse is so they can shift ‘won’t give you a raise’ to ‘can’t give you a raise’

it’s bullshit