Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whoever added the history tab to the emoji selection is a champ.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Internet Explorer posted:

Whoever added the history tab to the emoji selection is a champ.

:aaaaa:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Hollandia posted:

Getting some wild :catdrugs: flickering when viewing a post preview on my moto g5s - anyone else had this?
I'm getting the same thing on a Pixel 3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ardlen posted:

I'm getting the same thing on a Pixel 3.

I posted about it earlier in the thread. Forget if it was back when I had my Moto G5+ or on my Pixel 3 now but it's the same either way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ive got chrome updated, but it still crashes when i try to quote. Any ideas?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try clearing the app data and cache.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think the app actually crashing was one of the problems with the alternative webviews, probably a one+ ? I think the solution was something different but someone in the thread definitely already fixed it for themselves.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I think I've discovered some bugginess in how private messages are handled:
1. Using OLED theme causes messages to render as black on black:

Vs.

Also when backing out of the settings menu to the PM after changing the theme, the sender's message doesn't show at all

I loaded this PM as classic theme, went to settings, changed to OLED and then immediately back to classic before leaving the settings menu

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I'm currently on a Samsung s8.

In days long past, I used to be able to keep the awful app in the background for days, and each time I went back to it it was right where I left off in the thread i was lurking.

Nowadays if I dont touch it in around 8-12 hours thereabouts, when I select the app again it opens up at the forum selection screen/homepage again.

Did that make any sense, and is there a way I can get it working the way it used to?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm currently on a Samsung s8.

In days long past, I used to be able to keep the awful app in the background for days, and each time I went back to it it was right where I left off in the thread i was lurking.

Nowadays if I dont touch it in around 8-12 hours thereabouts, when I select the app again it opens up at the forum selection screen/homepage again.

Did that make any sense, and is there a way I can get it working the way it used to?

Try these instructions (should be the same for the S8):

https://www.androidcentral.com/not-receiving-notifications-your-galaxy-s10-heres-how-fix-it

Basically, try turning off battery optimization for Awful. That might keep it in RAM longer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Samsung did something a little too aggressive with battery management in the update to Android 9 I think. I have had intermittent problems with Foobar2000 stopping when the screen turns off too. I typically keep it on medium power saving mode though. I think I had to give the treatment suggested above to both that and Awful to restore how they used to work.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Edit: Seems to be vpn related tho I've never had an issue before, and no amount of tweaking is working.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 30, 2019

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I've been using the app for ages and love it. I don't know if this would be possible but being able to download bookmarked thread to read offline would be awesome. I commute about 3 hours a day with horrible reception dead zones and I need my shitposting fix!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

You can pre-load pages and they'll stay in the cache and be accessible offline. (Not including embedded videos and such though.) I've done that with at least 20 pages before, in the afternoon, and they were all still available that night.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You can pre-load pages and they'll stay in the cache and be accessible offline. (Not including embedded videos and such though.) I've done that with at least 20 pages before, in the afternoon, and they were all still available that night.

Can you do that with multiple threads? If so cool!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yep.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Only if your phone isn't a piece of poo poo with no RAM , so it would still be a cool feature. Might be out of the scope of the app though.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Only if your phone isn't a piece of poo poo with no RAM , so it would still be a cool feature. Might be out of the scope of the app though.

Mine has 2gb and I've loaded at least 50 pages total from 3 different thread and every one I went to offline had stayed in the cache.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Mine has 2gb and I've loaded at least 50 pages total from 3 different thread and every one I went to offline had stayed in the cache.

I'm on a Pixel 3 so you'd hope it's not a piece of poo poo but it's done some stupid stuff. Will let you know how it goes this arvo.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
I just updated the app and now the 3 dots on the top right of posts don't do anything.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dpush posted:

I just updated the app and now the 3 dots on the top right of posts don't do anything.

Did you try updating Chrome and/or the Chrome Webview?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Worked for one thread but not more than that.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
New update makes me unable to read threads or posts on my Moto3G, but making posts myself is still possible.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

New update makes me unable to read threads or posts on my Moto3G, but making posts myself is still possible.

The perfect somethingawful experience

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Pennfalath posted:

Howling into the cold uncaring void is the aesthetic of 2019.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Likely I am just blind and stupid, but I don't see how to make a new thread using the Android app. Help?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Condolences on your blindness and stupidity

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
No but seriously, where is the control for it supposed to be? I would expect to see the pencil icon that I get for "reply" in a thread view, but it's not there. If I navigate to a given forum I see no way to create a new thread. Should the pencil be there? Is there supposed to be an option in a menu?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I see you have forums plat, have you picked up AppPlat yet?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Nth Doctor posted:

I see you have forums plat, have you picked up AppPlat yet?

I don't know what that is, so no.

Edit: If that was a serious question, I don't see any app specific platinum upgrade in the app or on the website.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 1, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You guys are mean.

There is no way.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LastInLine posted:

You guys are mean.

There is no way.

Thanks. Any particular reason for that decision?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It's classism OP. You have to own a computer to be a content creator.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Threads posted from a phone would be unlikely to be good is the main reason, if I recall correctly.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It seems like an odd feature decision for a forum. Is it not readily supported by the forums API or something? Prone to abuse or misuse?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Threads posted from a phone would be unlikely to be good is the main reason, if I recall correctly.

Fair enough. So :justpost: from a computer

dpush
Nov 10, 2009

vyst posted:

Did you try updating Chrome and/or the Chrome Webview?

That did it thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

armorer posted:

It seems like an odd feature decision for a forum. Is it not readily supported by the forums API or something? Prone to abuse or misuse?

There's no API, the app just scrapes webpages as they're generated and presents them in a mobile-friendly format. The original reason was that threads posted from a phone aren't likely to be good, but now the reason is that it's a bunch of work to do and no one's done it and since this is an app made in a couple of people's spare time, that's a good enough reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LastInLine posted:

There's no API, the app just scrapes webpages as they're generated and presents them in a mobile-friendly format. The original reason was that threads posted from a phone aren't likely to be good, but now the reason is that it's a bunch of work to do and no one's done it and since this is an app made in a couple of people's spare time, that's a good enough reason.

To be clear, I'm a software consultant, so I'm asking from that perspective, not from the perspective of a disgruntled user. That's 100% a valid reason for the feature to not exist.