Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Selfie addicts flock to toxic waste dump because it's pretty

Cheryl Santa Maria

Digital Reporter

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/news-people-keep-taking-photos-in-a-toxic-pond

quote:

Thursday, July 11th 2019, 3:55 pm - A pond near the Russian city of Novosibirsk has become a destination for selfie-seekers interested in creating the perfect nature shot.

The reservoir is bright blue and the scenery is lush, but there's a problem:

The water is full of toxic chemicals, and it's actually a power plant waste dump.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzvgZb0n4KR/

The pond — nicknamed the "Novosibirsk Maldives" — is manmade, and the water is blue due to a high concentration of coal plant waste.

The Siberian Generating Company, which owns the power plant that dumps the waste in the water, says the lake isn't technically poisonous, but people should avoid swimming in it.

"This is due to the fact that calcium salts and other metal oxides are dissolved in it," a company rep wrote on Russian social media site vk.com. "Skin contact with such water may cause an allergic reaction."

The rep added the bottom of the pond is also very muddy, which could cause swimmers to become trapped.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzPSpponlC9/?utm_source=ig_embed

Would you risk underwater quick sand by a quick dip or book a photo op of a Christening of your first born son at this attractive toxic dump, GBS?

Post more about how this world will worship anything if it's pretty or enjoy the view, GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Me

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Everyone involved should throw themselves into the deathpool and I'll be racing to join them in their industrially poisoned watery hell, op.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

so has anyone tried actually swimming in it or hosed themselves up somehow?

otherwise that's still just a photo spot.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I'd swallow all of it

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
isnt that just ”dark tourism”. pretty sure ive seen vida of people swimming in it years ago

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Siberian Generating Company, which owns the power plant that dumps the waste in the water, says the lake isn't technically poisonous

So I'm guessing it's poisonous as all hell

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well they literally say "it's totally safe just please never, ever touch it" so what does that tell you

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's a pretty lake I guess but I'm just in it for the toxic waste.

BTW, the correct term is venomous, not poisonous.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was the only good segment in Creepshow 2 so I'm all for it. Can we get some social media influencers to open up a crate that's hidden inside an old university next?

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol loving weird getting their photos taken by a pretty looking lake.

Get your photos taken by an ugly lake morons!

*gets a photo taken in Milwaukee *

"Um you know Jeffry Dahmer killed 17 people in Milwaukee you loving monster"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
This thread did not deliver the cathartic payoff I was expecting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
None of those are selfies op

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

immortalyawn posted:

Lol loving weird getting their photos taken by a pretty looking lake.

Get your photos taken by an ugly lake morons!

*gets a photo taken in Milwaukee *

"Um you know Jeffry Dahmer killed 17 people in Milwaukee you loving monster"

hi how are you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well then stop taking selfies at your house OP :smugdog:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I will charge anyone only $15 for a photo in front of or besides my beautiful and iconic rear end.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
This planet is so dead and hosed. I guess humans are all necrophiliacs.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
It’s not technically poisonous, but it will gently caress you up if you touch it lol

let’s roll back some regs and we too can have such beautiful dumps

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

I will charge anyone only $15 for a photo in front of or besides my beautiful and iconic rear end.

How toxic is your rear end? I don't pose with something unless it at least has an LD50 (oral) of 50 mg/kg.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

No

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Hell Stink posted:

Is it toxic?

He has to put WHMIS plating on his car when he drives his stank rear end around

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mooey Cow posted:

How toxic is your rear end? I don't pose with something unless it at least has an LD50 (oral) of 50 mg/kg.

this is a really weird way to brag that you eat rear end

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
By eating increasingly larger doses of rear end every day I have slowly built up an immunity, and can now consume even the deadliest of rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Well they literally say "it's totally safe just please never, ever touch it" so what does that tell you

One of the press notes said the radiation hue is safe which is a phrase that inspired utter confidence in me because I say that all the time when talking about things.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Technically my photoesque rear end is NOT safe for regular handling though brief exposure for recreational activities and your once in a life time photo-ASSportunity adventure typically cause little to no permanent damage

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
its just self loathing and the need for attention their parents never gave them op

that or theyre just fuckken stupid

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wasnt Novosibirsk where you had to blow up the satellite dishes in like one of the first levels of the single player campaign on Goldeneye 64?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Waiting for "influencers" to be actually killed by onlookers while doing photo shoots at at concentration camps and war memorials.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Some dude swam in it and got a bad rash. It doesn't seem to even be horror movie trope toxic :gas:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if they were BOOMER selfie-takers that can't resist sexy toxic waste sites instead of millennials haha wouldn't that be wacky :xd:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The_Continental posted:

Wasnt Novosibirsk where you had to blow up the satellite dishes in like one of the first levels of the single player campaign on Goldeneye 64?

3 hours, 45 minutes away by highway according to Google Maps.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Some dude swam in it and got a bad rash. It doesn't seem to even be horror movie trope toxic :gas:

At least he didn't get turned into a robocop mutant

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I have a bad rash and I only looked at the photos. What does that tell you?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

fist4jesus posted:

I have a bad rash and I only looked at the photos. What does that tell you?

That you take poor care of your body.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Putty posted:

I'd swallow all of it

thats what they all say

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Putty posted:

I'd swallow all of it

why, did a gamer girl swim in it?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I thought this was gonna be about those "I loving love life" instagram people who fell into the hot springs in Yellowstone (and died, obviously)

Basically I'm real disappointed that no one died or was at least disfigured

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Play posted:

I thought this was gonna be about those "I loving love life" instagram people who fell into the hot springs in Yellowstone (and died, obviously)

Basically I'm real disappointed that no one died or was at least disfigured

be patient man cancer takes a while

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
was kind of hoping this was like where people explored empty urban ares but with old nuclear reactors. I would totally love to look at reactor. this blue water is pretty tho. doesnt russia have rules to not dump in the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

doesnt russia have rules to not dump in the water?

lol. Russia doesn't have rules if you're rich, and that power plant is either owned by the state (and being used to enrich the oligarchs) or it's owned by an oligarch and being used to enrich the oligarchs. Basically, to enforce any rules against that plant, the agency enforcing them would have to have more money and influence and power than the plant owner. which is extremely unlikely to happen (again, unless someone powerful wanted it to happen). So no, they essentially do not have rules. There's a town in Russia whose main feature is a chemical plant and the environment is so toxic that nearly everyone who lives there will die early from associated health problems.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 12, 2019