Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Upon reflection, my sauce not being completely homogenous is because I forgot the cilantro initially and blended it in after everything else came together. I agree that it's a bit nicer to look at.

If you look at what Bon Appetit's been posting and what's been going on restaurant menus lately, puree-based sauces that are heavy on herbs and peppers and are brightly colored are very trendy right now. I highly recommend this basic sauce recipe if you're looking to step up your sauce game: as we see here, it's pretty flexible and forgiving, while being visually impressive and also very delicious. It'll also keep really well and adapt to different dishes; for example I am absolutely gonna put this poo poo on some eggs tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I just don't want to eat a pastel-colored foam, no matter how trendy that is. Gimme some chunks of stuff, gimme some primary colors, I'm all about seeing bits of what the sauce was made of like specks of habanero or whatever. Yeah you can use the super powerful modern blenders to perfectly dismantle food into homogeneity, but I'd much rather have what's on those tacos than a dollop of green where the only differences in color is from light and shadow.

What I'm saying is add your cilantro after blending everything else in the future because it worked.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prayer group posted:

Upon reflection, my sauce not being completely homogenous is because I forgot the cilantro initially and blended it in after everything else came together. I agree that it's a bit nicer to look at.

If you look at what Bon Appetit's been posting and what's been going on restaurant menus lately, puree-based sauces that are heavy on herbs and peppers and are brightly colored are very trendy right now. I highly recommend this basic sauce recipe if you're looking to step up your sauce game: as we see here, it's pretty flexible and forgiving, while being visually impressive and also very delicious. It'll also keep really well and adapt to different dishes; for example I am absolutely gonna put this poo poo on some eggs tomorrow.

So you roasted the stuff, added lime juice and oil (and cilantro) and puréed it all? That’s it?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So you roasted the stuff, added lime juice and oil (and cilantro) and puréed it all? That’s it?
I've done that exact sauce before (well, using red onion and a clove more garlic) only using my oven instead of grill, and yeah, I just hucked it all into my Not Fancy Blender. Mine turned out a little chunkier but the flavor's amazing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yep. Simple as gently caress.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

did you drizzle the oil in as you blended it or just huck it in with everything else? that's super user friendly if you just dumped the oil in and it still came together

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

OMGVBFLOL posted:

did you drizzle the oil in as you blended it or just huck it in with everything else? that's super user friendly if you just dumped the oil in and it still came together

I've been making a similar one for years and have never drizzled, only dumped. Never had a problem with it coming together or separating after the fact. It's much more forgiving than mayo or salad dressing or whatever else

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have whatever the cheapest nutrininja is and use it all the time to make aji verde by blending everything together. It comes out largely smooth but with a discernable texture unlike the restaurant stuff because like hellsau I love a little texture.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine will probably be smooth because I have a Vitamix and am obsessed with blending everything until it’s crazy smooth.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Okay, to be precise, I blended the peppers, garlic and onion smoothish, then I added the oil -- drizzling at first, then dumping the rest upon seeing how easily it was coming together. I blended the cilantro in after that when I realized I had forgotten it, then the salt and lime juice.

This morning I put the leftover rice in a pan with some cheese and cracked a couple eggs on top, then gave it a few hearty dollops of The Sauce. Can confirm that it's great with eggs.

I love that everyone is making this. Collective goon projects are the best.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
y'all are noobs, for the creamy green salsas put in ~15 fried peppers, couple of grilled garlic cloves, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and also half an avocado to replace some or all of the oil... also use the oil where you fried the jalapeños in. You can just dump everything in the blender and it will become creamy, no need for drizzling... I'd replace with serranos also.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 10, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Someone make the "mexican inspired" ranch. I wanna make fun of you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Green Goddess supremacy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I've made it and it's delicious. Of course I grew up eating it at every mexican joint around here.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

See my last post, I did the ranchy one and it was good :colbert:

BrianBoitano posted:

Bad news is that I can't c/d any of those recipes. Good news is I combined them into one and it worked great!

1/2 lb jalapeños
6 cloves garlic, peel on
1/2 onion
1/4 cup cilantro, thick stems removed
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 oz lime juice
Salt to taste

Broil first 3 ingredients, no oil needed for me. If your jalapeños have thin walls, instead do them over direct flame. Cap jalapeños in a covered bowl to steam themselves 10 minutes. Peel and cut off stems. I took out half the seeds*

Blend first 4 ingredients until smooth. Blend on medium high while drizzling in oil. Add salt and lime juice to taste, and more seeds if desired.

It was okay with the first recipe's 1/3 cup oil but better with 1/2. Flavor was good but a bit one-dimensional without lime, and adding it didn't hurt the texture.

* half the seeds went to the dairy+ Chuy's creamy jalapeño salsa clone, which unfortunately used La Costeña jalapeños which were not hot enough. Ortega brand was out of stock :argh:

This one has pickled jalapeños, diced green chiles, mayo, buttermilk, cilantro, onion powder, garlic powder, salt.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That's not as bad as I thought it'd be. For some reason I assumed it was mayo based like regular ranch just with jalapenos. I will not make fun of you guys now.

Edit: wait, so you did the mayo one too? I just noticed the bowl is the same. That's gross, you're gross.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 10, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Galaxy brain discovery: mapo tofu base makes excellent coating for fried wings. Toban djan, sichuan peppercorns, soy sauce, black vinegar, minced garlic and ginger, little drizzle of sesame oil. I tossed in a wok with fresh-out-the-fryer wings and it adheres so well that the wok was dry when I was done.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

al-azad posted:

Galaxy brain discovery: mapo tofu base makes excellent coating for fried wings. Toban djan, sichuan peppercorns, soy sauce, black vinegar, minced garlic and ginger, little drizzle of sesame oil. I tossed in a wok with fresh-out-the-fryer wings and it adheres so well that the wok was dry when I was done.
Wait until you find out about hot pot base.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

prayer group posted:

Okay! I made the sauce with half poblano and half jalapeño and it came out pretty great. I cooked everything on the charcoal grill I just bought last week.

I let everything get some nice color and blistering on it, here’s how that looked:

Then I puréed everything according to instructions. I thought this was going to be a more challenging emulsion to achieve but it was actually really easy. I added a judicious amount of salt and the recommended ounce of lime juice. Came out delicious, though less uniform, I guess because my blender can’t chop the cilantro as finely.

I put it on some skirt steak fajitas and Mexican rice. It was extremely delicious.

I am doing this now with all jalapeños and I can’t wait to eat it.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Do you scrape off the charred parts?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ We cut the charred skin off, but you don’t have to get it all. Leaving a little bit on adds flavor.

I. M. Gei posted:

I am doing this now with all jalapeños and I can’t wait to eat it.

Trip Report: It’s loving good! I grilled the veggies and garlic first and it made it taste amazing. Can’t wait to try it after it sits in the fridge for awhile.

I used 5 Tbsp of lime juice. Next time I might try 1 Tbsp less of the lime juice and possibly 1 or 2 Tbsp of sour cream.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What if tomatillos?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

prayer group posted:

Okay! I made the sauce with half poblano and half jalapeño and it came out pretty great. I cooked everything on the charcoal grill I just bought last week.

I see like, 4 lit coals. I can't imagine how long it took to char those peppers and get that cast iron pan hot.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

VERTiG0 posted:

I see like, 4 lit coals. I can't imagine how long it took to char those peppers and get that cast iron pan hot.

This was my second time ever actually cooking on a charcoal grill; I grew up in a propane household. I'm still learning, be patient with me.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

prayer group posted:

This was my second time ever actually cooking on a charcoal grill; I grew up in a propane household. I'm still learning, be patient with me.

nah that's not inappropriate for something quick like peppers and garlic. having a whole pile lit and taking an hour plus to burn down would be overkill

e: i mean, lighting charcoal to roast veggies is overkill already, so what do i know, go hog-wild

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I also grilled steak on said charcoal. I'll be sure to submit the appropriate paperwork for y'all to review next time, jesus christ.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Didn't there used to be a Chicago dining thread?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

prayer group posted:

I also grilled steak on said charcoal. I'll be sure to submit the appropriate paperwork for y'all to review next time, jesus christ.

I bet you used lighter fluid instead of a chimney, you monster!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

al-azad posted:

Please don't accuse other posters of atrocities.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Pro-pane and propane accessories

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Alright alright, sorry for jumping on the charcoal amateur. I didn't know.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

GWS General Chat: I'll submit the paperwork for y'all to review next time, jesus christ

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

al-azad posted:

Check out Mr. Digital over here with his chimney. I artisanally craft a pyramid of twigs over drier lint to start my fire, chimneys are too easy.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Check out Mr. Digital over here with his chimney. I artisanally craft a pyramid of twigs over drier lint to start my fire, chimneys are too easy.
Check out this fuckin' hipster artisinally crafting a pyramid instead of just hucking an unsorted handful of garden garbage onto a heap of coal and swearing while drinking beer

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Whalley posted:

Check out this fuckin' hipster artisinally crafting a pyramid instead of just hucking an unsorted handful of garden garbage onto a heap of coal and swearing while drinking beer

So instead of trying to light a charcoal fire, you just pile a bunch of leaves on coals and drink a beer with no fire involved?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I only use curated dried kindling, made from curated green stems that are collected from organic forest floors, stored in a dehydrator for 12 weeks, then lightly smoked to acclimatize the stems to their ultimate destination.

$145/lb.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Trip Report: It’s loving good! I grilled the veggies and garlic first and it made it taste amazing. Can’t wait to try it after it sits in the fridge for awhile.

I used 5 Tbsp of lime juice. Next time I might try 1 Tbsp less of the lime juice and possibly 1 or 2 Tbsp of sour cream.

The time in the fridge definitely helped, but next time I am gonna try cutting down on the lime juice and adding a little sour cream for that ranch dressing effect.

It is super good the way it is, though. Highly recommend!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

I only use curated dried kindling, made from curated green stems that are collected from organic forest floors, stored in a dehydrator for 12 weeks, then lightly smoked to acclimatize the stems to their ultimate destination.

$145/lb.

I buy a cord of this stuff for $35K, then turn it into charcoal myself over 72 hours in my locally sourced, handmade adobe furnace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI

All of my fires are lit with a series of artisanal antique magnifying glasses. Only the sun’s rays on a clear day are clean enough for my fire.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 13, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a Vitamix 5200 Professional Series blender at $170 off for Prime Day. What should I make in it first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a Vitamix 5200 Professional Series blender at $170 off for Prime Day. What should I make in it first?

Scab soup.