Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

All I wanted was for them to keep iterating on that theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Skeezy posted:

The M7 was such a good phone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I loved my M8

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The M7 was the first Android phone I owned. I got it for a dollar and it died in a year, but man those speakers were great.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

OhFunny posted:

The M7 was the first Android phone I owned. I got it for a dollar and it died in a year, but man those speakers were great.

I used mine for nearly 2 years before the GPS chip gave out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NPR Journalizard posted:

I used mine for nearly 2 years before the grip tape gave out.

:downsrim:

kidding aside, I always liked the look of that thing.
There's just something about front-facing speakers that make a phone more substantial.

Like... lovehandles :wink:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a problem where it seems like Android isn't letting WhatsApp run in the background or at least restricting the data. When I open WhatsApp I get all the messages, but if I don't open it I don't get any notifications. Background data is set to allowed. Any other settings to check?

OnePlus 3T running Android 9, June security patch

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 12, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a problem where it seems like Android isn't letting WhatsApp run in the background or at least restricting the data. When I open WhatsApp I get all the messages, but if I don't open it I don't get any notifications. Background data is set to allowed. Any other settings to check?

Do you have notifications set to display for WhatsApp?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

You say "Background data is set to allowed" but does that mean it's excluded from battery optimization?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have notifications set to display for WhatsApp?

Yes. Nothing comes through until I open WhatsApp, and all the messages are delivered at once which is why I thing is a background thing

LastInLine posted:

You say "Background data is set to allowed" but does that mean it's excluded from battery optimization?

Just checked, and it was set to opt optimize battery

I should also say my wife's phone has been having the same issue, a Moto G5. Started happening to both of us a few weeks ago around the same time

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 12, 2019

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Anyone running the Q betas on their main phone yet? Does it seem reasonably stable?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Skeezy posted:

I used mine for like 2 or so years before the touchscreen gave out at the top. Couldn't pull down the notification bar anymore. Jumped to a 6p and then a pixel 1. I guess I'm waiting on the pixel 4 to upgrade again but I'm going to really miss the rear fingerprint sensor

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tivac posted:

Anyone running the Q betas on their main phone yet? Does it seem reasonably stable?

I've been running the Q Beta on my Pixel 2 XL since Beta 4 and it's very smooth. Beta 5 is even better, actually though the battery life isn't as good as with 4. The gestures are a LOT better than in previous betas and are pretty much finished (I tried Beta 1 and they just...weren't that great so I went back to Pie).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've been running the Q Beta on my Pixel 2 XL since Beta 4 and it's very smooth. Beta 5 is even better, actually though the battery life isn't as good as with 4. The gestures are a LOT better than in previous betas and are pretty much finished (I tried Beta 1 and they just...weren't that great so I went back to Pie).

Does this mean we get more screen back from the home/back buttons?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do gestures actually work? I've never used them.

Like, how does the phone know the difference between swiping around to say, pan a large image/website, and making a "gesture"?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

How do gestures actually work? I've never used them.

Like, how does the phone know the difference between swiping around to say, pan a large image/website, and making a "gesture"?

Watch a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_kvXRCGw2s

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My personal experience with gestures on the Oneplus 7 Pro has been highly positive, there are basically no false positives and I got used to the new system within a day or two.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ah, so "like dogshit" appears to be the answer.

That seriously looks like the crappiest way to navigate touchscreen menus since all the gimmicks in Nintendo DS launch titles.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

My personal experience with gestures on the Oneplus 7 Pro has been highly positive, there are basically no false positives and I got used to the new system within a day or two.

Doesn't Google's implementation differ significantly from third parties and very much for the worse?

Annath posted:

Ah, so "like dogshit" appears to be the answer.

That seriously looks like the crappiest way to navigate touchscreen menus since all the gimmicks in Nintendo DS launch titles.

Seems fine to me but I've not tried it. It can't be worse than the pill thing they were trying to make happen in Pie. Honestly you've got to figure it can't be that great if they're leaving the option in to not use it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is kind of a combination Android App and Android Phone question.

Is it still possible to get a call recording app which records directly from the internal phone two-way audio? Everything I see these days records my audio to the other person, but can only record them if they're talking so loud and the room is so quiet that it can be picked back up by the phone's mic. It stopped working one year and I'm not sure if it's because I'm on a Pixel 2XL, or if I need to have my phone rooted, or if Google straight up banned the use of it due to legal liability or what.

Before you ask I'm not using it for anything nefarious, I just need it for when I'm hashing out deals with corporations and they state they're recording the call, I ask permission to record as well in case they renege on any promises to us, or otherwise cover my rear end for work.

I have like $30 in those Google Survey credits so I don't mind a paid app, provided it actually works. As an IT person I'd still like something from somewhere reputable so I'm not being hacked by Russia or something.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Doesn't Google's implementation differ significantly from third parties and very much for the worse?

The Q gestures seem to be pretty ambitious, aiming to establish completely new user behaviors with the swiping in and peeking from the sides for example. I haven't used them myself so it remains to be seen how well they'll work in practice.
The Oneplus gestures only aim to offer the same functionality as the current navbar without having the bottom of the screen (almost) permanently taken up by it. In case you're not familiar, these are the Oneplus gestures:

swipe up from the left hand third of the screen = back
swipe up from the right hand third of the screen = back
swipe up from the middle third of the screen = home
swipe up from the middle third and hold = recents
swipe up from the middle third and to the right = quick switch (like double tapping recents)

There are downsides to this system compared to a traditional navbar as going into recents is slower and the quick switch is a bit awkward too compared to just double pressing, but to me the advantages of freeing up even more screen real estate outweigh those disadvantages. This is in part because the recents menu has gotten very bad to use since they moved away from the rolodex design, which has caused me to move my most used apps to the homescreen and using that to switch between them, leaving me little need to go into recents at all.

The P gestures I don't think serve any purpose since they still take up screen real estate so there's no reason to use them over the navbar.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

This is kind of a combination Android App and Android Phone question.

Is it still possible to get a call recording app which records directly from the internal phone two-way audio? Everything I see these days records my audio to the other person, but can only record them if they're talking so loud and the room is so quiet that it can be picked back up by the phone's mic. It stopped working one year and I'm not sure if it's because I'm on a Pixel 2XL, or if I need to have my phone rooted, or if Google straight up banned the use of it due to legal liability or what.

Before you ask I'm not using it for anything nefarious, I just need it for when I'm hashing out deals with corporations and they state they're recording the call, I ask permission to record as well in case they renege on any promises to us, or otherwise cover my rear end for work.

I have like $30 in those Google Survey credits so I don't mind a paid app, provided it actually works. As an IT person I'd still like something from somewhere reputable so I'm not being hacked by Russia or something.

I've not used it but a quick Google search had an article that reviewed such apps as recently as August 2018. Of the reviewed apps only one is still on the Play Store: This one. The reviews seem to indicate it still works, however.

Edit: As far as I can tell you can't record calls in Android Pie.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 13, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I've not used it but a quick Google search had an article that reviewed such apps as recently as August 2018. Of the reviewed apps only one is still on the Play Store: This one. The reviews seem to indicate it still works, however.

Yeah, I just tried all the apps and like the others it gives the audio source option of "Voice Call" (as opposed to mic), but it does not capture the other end's audio.

Something else that could work for me, and would be much better security than an app, would be one of these bluetooth devices that record to an offline SD card:

https://newatlas.com/bluewire-bluetooth-headset-records-calls/35817/

However, I can only find that 2015 article and can't seem to find any real-life purchasable products. It would be really incredibly simple to make too so I'm surprised.

edit: Amazon.com has nothing, but good old eBay at least purports to have some devices that'll do the trick: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bluetooth+call+recorder&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The full Q gestures don't use any screen space either fyi

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

It's possible on some OEMs, as they removed this block. Samsung, 1+ and a few others work, but probably not in the US.
Samsung phones running Pie on exynos can use this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.catalinagroup.callrecorder

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I just received an update for my J7 and now the UI is screwy and different, the text blocks are all bloated with obnoxious rounded corners, and I think my clock is in comic sans. Is it possible to change the way the UI looks to be more streamlined or did I just screw myself by hitting 'install now'?

It's apparently updated itself to Android 9.0 from whatever it was running before if that helps

I am pretty smart phone illiterate

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 13, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is Active Edge supposed to work in full-screen apps?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So I just received an update for my J7 and now the UI is screwy and different,

You can install something like Nova to tweak your home screens how you want them, but things like status bar and fonts and things are deeper in the system and more more work (if even possible) to change.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So I just received an update for my J7 and now the UI is screwy and different, the text blocks are all bloated with obnoxious rounded corners, and I think my clock is in comic sans. Is it possible to change the way the UI looks to be more streamlined or did I just screw myself by hitting 'install now'?

It's apparently updated itself to Android 9.0 from whatever it was running before if that helps

I am pretty smart phone illiterate

You can change the font in the settings, and use Good Lock to tweak the UI. Themes and icon packs in the Galaxy Store can change the look. I don't think you'll be able to completely get rid of One UI though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not sure if there's a better place to ask this, so here goes. My wife wants to watch The Fugitive tonight, and since Netflix doesn't have it I checked the Play Store. There are two on there - one for $3 and the other for $4. I can't tell the difference between the two listings. What is going on here?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hooah posted:

Not sure if there's a better place to ask this, so here goes. My wife wants to watch The Fugitive tonight, and since Netflix doesn't have it I checked the Play Store. There are two on there - one for $3 and the other for $4. I can't tell the difference between the two listings. What is going on here?

I see 3.99 rent and 14.99 buy

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

Often it's SD vs HD.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sharkytm posted:

Often it's SD vs HD.

This ended up being the case. The cheaper listing had two prices once I tapped the rent button, but the other listing just had the HD price. Weird that it showed up twice though, instead of just being the one listing with both options.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

On older films, it's often because one is the DVD release, and the other is the re-release onto BluRay/streaming, which is subsequently offered at a lower resolution.
I could imagine they could have one title, with a set of versions (for example films that have several releases) but then I also suspect they're each individually licensed, so this becomes a pain.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Is this the correct place to ask about phone problems? My Pixel 3 has begun doing this weird thing where the bottom half of the screen flashes every now and again when the adaptive display feature is on. Have people been seeing this? What's the fix for this meant to be?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Is this the correct place to ask about phone problems? My Pixel 3 has begun doing this weird thing where the bottom half of the screen flashes every now and again when the adaptive display feature is on. Have people been seeing this? What's the fix for this meant to be?

Tell Google your phone is broken

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

The Q gestures seem to be pretty ambitious, aiming to establish completely new user behaviors with the swiping in and peeking from the sides for example. I haven't used them myself so it remains to be seen how well they'll work in practice.

The Q gestures are still janky in places. For instance, swiping a side drawer menu is a weird exercise at best. Does it open the drawer like before, or does it take you back instead? Who knows!

If the app is compiled with the newest versions of the Android support libraries, it'll get some exclusion rectangles baked in so the menu drawers can be swiped open without causing a "back" to fire. Q beta 5 also added a "press on the edge and hold briefly before swiping" gesture that bypasses "back" for apps that don't have the exclusions.

For instance the new behavior makes it at least theoretically possible to swipe open the menu drawer in Slack now, but I'm like 1 for 3 in actually being able to stick the landing with the new gesture in Qb5.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, I'm experiencing a weird issue.

I put a bunch of audio files (old Art Bell era Coast to Coast AM recordings lol) in a folder on the SD Card (not the inbuilt storage) figuring I could install some audio player and only have those files in the library to browse and play.

But no matter what media player I use, none of them can see the SD Card. They don't see the folder or the files.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make this work?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Just replace my broken, hand-me-down Pixel with a moto g7.

It is glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nimper posted:

Tell Google your phone is broken

Yeah just get the ball rolling on a replacement ASAP because in all likelihood the issue will just get worse and worse and you'll have a drat strobe light in your room. Unless by some miracle they actually figure out a way you can fix it.

Then get ready to put the replacement through its paces to make sure it's not another busted phone. My wife's on her fourth one so far...