Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Queen Victorian posted:

Thread challenge: The kind of opulence I love is Beaux Arts turned up to eleven. Here's Hearst Castle, which owns:

This one's giving me some major tonal dissonance. Like, you have all this fancy woodwork and ostentatious decoration...and then you have some couches that wouldn't look out of place at Grandma's.

I assume that they were fancy in their day, but that style became easy to cheaply replicate once printed cloth became a thing, and that's why it's everywhere nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's crazy that Hearst Castle even looks as good as it does since it's all antiques and curios shipped in from all over the world and then Frankensteined into a mansion.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This one's giving me some major tonal dissonance. Like, you have all this fancy woodwork and ostentatious decoration...and then you have some couches that wouldn't look out of place at Grandma's.

I assume that they were fancy in their day, but that style became easy to cheaply replicate once printed cloth became a thing, and that's why it's everywhere nowadays.

:colbert: I bet you like this then

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

:colbert: I bet you like this then

Oh man the more I look the less I want to

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Okay, lemme actually do the thread challenge:

I absolutely love Art Nouveau stuff.

I am admittedly not an expert on Art Nouveau or anything but all the different variations I've seen of it still scratch a really deep itch for me.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 14, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I was 100% on board until that last one.

Yes! Yes! Yes! NO

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I was 100% on board until that last one.

Yes! Yes! Yes! NO
I think it'd look better in a more fitting room but that's like a museum display. Still a drat nice bed.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I love Arts and Crafts/Craftsman bungalows.

This one is personal. I've posted it in this thread before, but my grandparents' old house. All different patterns and antiques and old materials and new materials. When I buy a house I am 100% painting a room in that peachy/pumpkiny color. It got sold in 2012 after they passed away and I miss it a lot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sort of off topic but what the hell do people do with all the extra pillows beds have in photographs?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Argas posted:

Sort of off topic but what the hell do people do with all the extra pillows beds have in photographs?

They're just for decoration. They get put somewhere else (or thrown on the floor if you're me) at night.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

PetraCore posted:

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I love Arts and Crafts/Craftsman bungalows.

:hfive: both of you

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is there a name yet for the design style of big block colour and such that you might find in the office of a company that's about to be bought out by Google? "Office industrial"?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're just for decoration. They get put somewhere else (or thrown on the floor if you're me) at night.

It's like working on a loading dock every evening and morning.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PetraCore posted:

I think it'd look better in a more fitting room but that's like a museum display. Still a drat nice bed.

It looks like it needs to be in a movie set, like some kind of French surrealist fantasy inexplicably featuring Ron Pearlman. It's gorgeous but would look good in basically no bedroom ever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jaded Burnout posted:

You should stitch them all together into your favorite configuration so you can just remove them and replace them in one swell foop.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Agreed. I think that room has several elements which make the bed look out of place. Even the side table looks odd with the wainscotting or whatever it's called being white and that high on the wall.

I wonder what the back of the headboard looks like and if it might not have been really intended to be against a wall anyway.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Okay, lemme actually do the thread challenge:

I am admittedly not an expert on Art Nouveau or anything but all the different variations I've seen of it still scratch a really deep itch for me.

Hell loving yes. Art Nouveau is my favorite. It's got kind of a chintzy reputation in the US because of Tiffany, but holy hell do I love it.

It's like and elven palace meets a space ship.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The problem with Art Nouveau is I think going only a little Art Nouveau looks really weird. See that picture of the bed, where it and the furniture around it are all AN pieces but it still looks weird and out of place.

I'm sure there's a way to pull of AN elements in a cohesive way without going full space elf treeship but I don't think I'd be good at that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
plz rename thread challenge: post your favorite proletariat suppression decor

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kyoto is full of art-deco era buildings.

Public bathhouse in Kyoto.
http://why.kyoto/jp/blog/12/15857

Rakuza Guesthouse in Kyoto.
http://rakuza.gh-project.com/e/photo.html

Searching Taisho Roman "大正ロマン" brings up lots of interiors like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NGL this looks like an English chain pub/eatery with added cherry blossom and ceiling... ... wooden squares?

I think it's the double doors and the carpeted stairs leading to a dark wooden floor that just say "you're at a two for one, mate".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

More a testament to how well chain restaurants do their designing, tbh.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

The problem with Art Nouveau is I think going only a little Art Nouveau looks really weird. See that picture of the bed, where it and the furniture around it are all AN pieces but it still looks weird and out of place.

I'm sure there's a way to pull of AN elements in a cohesive way without going full space elf treeship but I don't think I'd be good at that.

The trick with a lot of wilder pieces is to either frame in some way so your brain isn't trying to mesh it into the rest of the decor, or have an eclectic enough style that it all kind of balances out. The modern take on it tends to go for deliberate contrasts by placing art nouveau furniture in classical or modern rooms where it can be a real center piece.

The ornate columns and curving dark wood of the table and chairs stand out against the white walls and the straight lines of the molding.

peanut posted:

Kyoto is full of art-deco era buildings.

Is it actually considered art deco in Japan? I know the modernist movement in Europe was set off by the opening of Japan and the influence of Japanese art and style. How did the influx of European esthetic play out in Japan back then?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Thread challenge: this 9.754sf mansion in Baltimore built in 1849

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's gorgeous, and Mt. Vernon is a pretty nice area.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The entire house is nice but this is the picture that really wowed me. All that natural light is gorgeous. I'd wanna get actual plants in there, not just what I assume are decorative fake plants.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PetraCore posted:

The entire house is nice but this is the picture that really wowed me. All that natural light is gorgeous. I'd wanna get actual plants in there, not just what I assume are decorative fake plants.

Also, look at that rug. It's undoubtedly hand loomed and also undoubtedly made for exactly that room. How do you even get something like that done? Call India or Turkey and go "hey, I have a commission!"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Motronic posted:

Also, look at that rug. It's undoubtedly hand loomed and also undoubtedly made for exactly that room. How do you even get something like that done? Call India or Turkey and go "hey, I have a commission!"

That's tiling, not a rug.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

That's tiling, not a rug.

Okay, zooming in.......yep. That's even better.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

ntan1 posted:

That's a lot of very old style color palate for an entirely custom house.

It's a fairly faithful Mid-Century revival aesthetic. Hope this helps

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

Is it actually considered art deco in Japan? I know the modernist movement in Europe was set off by the opening of Japan and the influence of Japanese art and style. How did the influx of European esthetic play out in Japan back then?

The phrase exists in Japanese, mostly as an architectural style that has blurred in modern times. It's all wood "pub" look or marble "hotel" look.
Former prince residence turned into an art museum.
https://www.teien-art-museum.ne.jp/exhibition/150718-0923_artdeco.html

Illustrator museum with poor website.
http://www.kasho.org/bijutsukan.htm

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

You would just call up a rug maker and put in a custom order. Costs a gently caress ton as you can imagine. I once stayed at a b&b that had a three-story stairwell and a single rug wound up the whole thing. The owner said after buying the house, it was the most expensive part of the renovation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

The owner said after buying the house, it was the most expensive part of the renovation.

JFC, I guess I'm not at all surprised at that. It's just such a foreign concept to me to commission something (anything at all) especially on that scale. I suppose I'm thinking about this because I just went through the search for rugs the new house and never once in my mind was "hey, let's just get someone to make what I want" because that just seems like insane "if you have to ask you can't afford it" kinda yacht money.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My friend recently got a job as a pro seamstress and her shop mostly reupholster boatthings. It's ridiculous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

My friend recently got a job as a pro seamstress and her shop mostly reupholster boatthings. It's ridiculous.

This seems like a very good line of work, along with making horsethings.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
This thread challenge is going to kill me. My brain can't even handle all this maximalism

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Is Gaudí cheating for the thread challenge? Because

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Is Gaudí cheating for the thread challenge? Because

Is that where the word "gaudy" came from?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That fabric is crazy expensive. It's what your grandma's sofa's upholstery was made cheaply to mimic.

e: The pattern is woven, not printed.

ee: I mean, I'm assuming.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was at a working woollen mill recently, with their original in-the-basement-hydroelectric-plant powered chain programmable looms, still cranking out jacquard woven wool rugs up to 4.5m wide. They'll happily make whatever you wanted if you work with their designer/loom programmer, I can imagine prices are thousands per metre considering the hundreds per metre they were charging for their standard tapestry fabrics.