Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ephemeron posted:

I guess this game is just not a good fit for me (or vice versa). Still undecided whether I should just uninstall, leave a positive review and move on, or set the difficulty to easy and thoroughly spoil myself with every guide and wiki I can find.

I know that it's meant to simulate an authentic total disaster experience where the player feels as helpless and out of control as the player character, but I get enough of that IRL as it is, and while I greatly admire IPL's artistic vision, they aren't paying for my therapy.

what killed you? if youre just getting chased down, flipped and punched to death, this is uniquely a day 1 phenomenon. play through day 1 on super easy and then restart it once youve got a plan. it'll give you a nice little boost and the rest of the days are a lot less hectic and overtly aggressive

edit: a neat thing about being grabbed and turned is that at no point do you lose full control of your character. if you know its gonna happen you can actually continue to pivot in the opposite direction using your mouse and never break your stride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how every time I've ever thought "this is someone else's problem" or "this is tomorrow's problem" it's inevitably become my problem but worse. Also an infected hobo beat the shoes off me while on my way to getting paid so that's awful :haw:

quote:

what killed you? if youre just getting chased down, flipped and punched to death, this is uniquely a day 1 phenomenon. play through day 1 on super easy and then restart it once youve got a plan. it'll give you a nice little boost and the rest of the days are a lot less hectic and overtly aggressive

You get a free death on day 1 too with a little cutscene and reward for getting owned too. Not that I would know or anything

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I went into this completely blind, I tried to be an honest doctor and was doing ok with just enough money to pay for food. Day 3 comes along food prices skyrocket and the plague is everywhere. At this point I'm out of money, food and I've been infected as well. I wish the game had warned me that it was day 3 not day 12 that would be the end unless I was ready. I'd have cast honesty aside in the beginning and would have been prepared with a huge stockpile of food and cash.

I'm tempted to start a new game but I think I'll just keep playing with my current game though. I want to see how evil my character has to become to survive. I'm going to have become a full time evil organ dealer :chef: in order to pay for food and medicine just to survive.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

I went into this completely blind, I tried to be an honest doctor and was doing ok with just enough money to pay for food. Day 3 comes along food prices skyrocket and the plague is everywhere. At this point I'm out of money, food and I've been infected as well. I wish the game had warned me that it was day 3 not day 12 that would be the end unless I was ready. I'd have cast honesty aside in the beginning and would have been prepared with a huge stockpile of food and cash.

I'm tempted to start a new game but I think I'll just keep playing with my current game though. I want to see how evil my character has to become to survive. I'm going to have become a full time evil organ dealer :chef: in order to pay for food and medicine just to survive.

The best advice I can give is to stop relying on money to get anything. Start bartering with people, especially kids, because it'll be much more cost-effective. That said, if you're struggling, it does help to stockpile early on, and if you need a ray of sunlight you'll start getting provisions from a reliable source on day 4.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
money is how you repair clothing because even between stockpiling repair items, keeping them at the max tier of health and being judicious in their use i still needed to buy a new loving pair of boots every day

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been reading the spoilers upthread, and lol, so it was Mark who cursed me with impotence ("inability to hug") apparently. I've been blaming Clara all along.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I made the panacea by the end of day 6 but didn't talk to Rubin while he was snoozing because I didn't know I could until I hit parity with a playthrough I've been watching for fun - is he doomed now? I never actually found where he was hiding out from the Kin because Grief told me not to worry about it lol

quote:

money is how you repair clothing because even between stockpiling repair items, keeping them at the max tier of health and being judicious in their use i still needed to buy a new loving pair of boots every day

I had a pair last miraculously four days while the cloak and mask blew up immediately :shrug:

The second cloak became pockets and I'm naked now so that's probably not great

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I made the panacea by the end of day 6 but didn't talk to Rubin while he was snoozing because I didn't know I could until I hit parity with a playthrough I've been watching for fun - is he doomed now? I never actually found where he was hiding out from the Kin because Grief told me not to worry about it lol

I had a pair last miraculously four days while the cloak and mask blew up immediately :shrug:

The second cloak became pockets and I'm naked now so that's probably not great

If you must know, if you have made and tested the Panacea by the beginning of day 7, Rubin will live, even if you didn't visit him during the nights.

Pockets are the best use for cloaks.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

I've been reading the spoilers upthread, and lol, so it was Mark who cursed me with impotence ("inability to hug") apparently. I've been blaming Clara all along.

Whoa. Uh, where did this come up in the game?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

One of the punishments he gives you for dying. There'll be narrative ones sometimes instead of the minor stat hits.

As I learned in my playthrough last night, though, if you take the wanderer's deal you can still hug Laura because you don't get any debuffs from Mark, mechanical or narrative.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ZearothK posted:

If you must know, if you have made and tested the Panacea by the beginning of day 7, Rubin will live, even if you didn't visit him during the nights.

Pockets are the best use for cloaks.

Thanks just didn't want it bugging me all day lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Squidtentacle posted:

One of the punishments he gives you for dying. There'll be narrative ones sometimes instead of the minor stat hits.

As I learned in my playthrough last night, though, if you take the wanderer's deal you can still hug Laura because you don't get any debuffs from Mark, mechanical or narrative.

No where does the impotence come up?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arrhythmia posted:

At the very end, after Lara's failed assassination attempt, you can offer to comfort her, but you're unable to raise your arms to hug her. They just hang to the sides. She's pissed, lol.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

At the very end, after Lara's failed assassination attempt, you can offer to comfort her, but you're unable to raise your arms to hug her. They just hang to the sides. She's pissed, lol.

Lmfao

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Fffffuck, starting a new game after the ending that happens when you take the deal sure rubs it in, doesn't it?

Man this game is so good. I want to gather my thoughts more after I beat it properly, but it's left a real impression already.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Squidtentacle posted:

Fffffuck, starting a new game after the ending that happens when you take the deal sure rubs it in, doesn't it?

Man this game is so good. I want to gather my thoughts more after I beat it properly, but it's left a real impression already.

its sooo good. im really happy they went with that for the deal, its such a kick in the face

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol does it track the deal between playthroughs?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

no, i dont think so. but the first 15 mins is you just talking to Death as he falls out of coffins and disappears into black smoke after giving you nightmares i figured they were referring to that

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

It doesn't; the first thing you do on starting any new game is going up to Mark and him telling you "I'm really not interested in your story anymore, you sure hosed it up last time." One of those things that really changes tone upon repeat playthroughs.

Verviticus posted:

no, i dont think so. but the first 15 mins is you just talking to Death as he falls out of coffins and disappears into black smoke after giving you nightmares i figured they were referring to that

There's that too, that dialogue tree sure is something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh lol it sounded for a second like something he said changed.

Since we're talking about the intro I'd just like to say I love the track that plays as you walk outside into "You Lost" ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4ylcY9EBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEoZctCMBo

The exact moment it kicks in I realized they nailed things.

e: Oh hey at least part of the soundtrack's on Spotify neat

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, one of the great things about Pathologic was introducing me to Theodor Bastard and the impression left during the intro is amazing, definitely one of the best starts for a game I've ever had.

Also.

https://twitter.com/kolyasisan/status/1149927603769348096

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I beat the game and I'm on a second playthrough where I miraculously have everything I need in advance because metaknowledge. Is there a way to save both the older and younger Vlads? Or the inquisitor for that matter? Does saving everyone even impact the ending?

Also I feel like I missed something with Ruben. I taunted him in his bed during his breakdown after defending him at night twice, and then later talked to him by the railroad on the last day and convinced him to stay but is that it? I played the first one and I remember he was doing something with Simon Kain's body, and you can even mention that to him while he's in bed. Does it just not actually come up or did I miss something? That might have been a bachelor thing though.

On this playthrough I decided to just grab everything in the caches without doing any exchanges to see if it mattered and by about day 5 or so I noticed there were like 2 items at most in each one. Usually trash. I threw a bunch of random stuff that kids usually want in trades into a couple caches and it seemed like they went back to normal after that. I dunno if I was just imagining this.

I'm also seeing kids on the street trading schmowders which is something I never saw on the first playthrough. I think you might need to have at least enough to trade for them (like 20-30ish trade value) to even see them. Every time I've seen a kid with one I had just barely enough to get it despite the high trade cost.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Professor Cthulhu posted:

I beat the game and I'm on a second playthrough where I miraculously have everything I need in advance because metaknowledge. Is there a way to save both the older and younger Vlads? Or the inquisitor for that matter? Does saving everyone even impact the ending?

Also I feel like I missed something with Ruben. I taunted him in his bed during his breakdown after defending him at night twice, and then later talked to him by the railroad on the last day and convinced him to stay but is that it? I played the first one and I remember he was doing something with Simon Kain's body, and you can even mention that to him while he's in bed. Does it just not actually come up or did I miss something? That might have been a bachelor thing though.

On this playthrough I decided to just grab everything in the caches without doing any exchanges to see if it mattered and by about day 5 or so I noticed there were like 2 items at most in each one. Usually trash. I threw a bunch of random stuff that kids usually want in trades into a couple caches and it seemed like they went back to normal after that. I dunno if I was just imagining this.

I'm also seeing kids on the street trading schmowders which is something I never saw on the first playthrough. I think you might need to have at least enough to trade for them (like 20-30ish trade value) to even see them. Every time I've seen a kid with one I had just barely enough to get it despite the high trade cost.

Big spoils You can save both Vlads. You have to talk to big Vlad, then Clara by the door, then talk to big Vlad again immediately and warn him about small Vlad's plans without going to see small Vlad. You can’t save the inquisitor. There’s nothing special for saving everyone beyond seeing all the ending convos with character X that are conditional on character Y living.

I didn’t see any Rubin events beyond what you mentioned but I had a thought bubble about him staying at his house at night which had branches that never filled out for me, so there might be more. The Simon issue is definitely more of a bachelor/changeling topic so even if there are more convos with him I doubt he’s anything but evasive about it.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 15, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thread poll:

How much do I care that six Olds are dying

1. A little
2. I do not
3. I'm chugging this serum right now

:haw:

it's 3 I'm dying, artemiy's life sucks

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 15, 2019

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
was playing around experimenting with low poly in blender and thought I'd make some 3D fanart of the Tumbler Human / Shabnak-Adyr

I just love the design of this primordial cutie :3:

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Big spoils You can save both Vlads. You have to talk to big Vlad, then Clara by the door, then talk to big Vlad again immediately and warn him about small Vlad's plans without going to see small Vlad. You can’t save the inquisitor. There’s nothing special for saving everyone beyond seeing all the ending convos with character X that are conditional on character Y living.

I didn’t see any Rubin events beyond what you mentioned but I had a thought bubble about him staying at his house at night which had branches that never filled out for me, so there might be more. The Simon issue is definitely more of a bachelor/changeling topic so even if there are more convos with him I doubt he’s anything but evasive about it.

I never knew you could save both of them even in the first game I just accepted the theory that one of them has to die in order to let the other live. I now feel very silly.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Lopside posted:

was playing around experimenting with low poly in blender and thought I'd make some 3D fanart of the Tumbler Human / Shabnak-Adyr

:great: :3:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I just finished pathologic 2 and my final death count is 85 :v: I really loved this game though and was sad when I eventually ran out of death dialogue.

What are the chances of the bachelor and changeling campaigns being released at this point? I've heard this game is doing badly? Even so they already created the game engine and assets seems like it would be a waste to not finish the story.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They are still the plan, but no official news have come on the subject, only rumours.

And congrats! I do share in the feeling of wanting even more of it after it was done. I'd say the ending you get while keeping everyone in the Blood list alive is pretty drat happy after all was said and done.

Lopside posted:

:same: I'd even get a plush one if it was ever put on sale.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

I just finished pathologic 2 and my final death count is 85 :v: I really loved this game though and was sad when I eventually ran out of death dialogue.

What are the chances of the bachelor and changeling campaigns being released at this point? I've heard this game is doing badly? Even so they already created the game engine and assets seems like it would be a waste to not finish the story.

Supposedly the article which originally claimed that the lead dev said the other paths might not happen was debunked by others who were present at the talk. That said, their silence on the issue is a little deafening and the feeling I get is that their plans are in flux and they'll let us know when decisions are finalized. To be safe I remain resigned to the possibility that the other paths might be too good to exist on this poo poo earth

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

DropsySufferer posted:

I've heard this game is doing badly? Even so they already created the game engine and assets seems like it would be a waste to not finish the story.
Yeah, but writing and designing questlines (of this insane volume and quality) has got to be a lot of work still. Even if they manage to complete the game, I'm prepared to wait a while. I don't want copypasted or barely-fitting-together parts like in the original.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Supposedly the article which originally claimed that the lead dev said the other paths might not happen was debunked by others who were present at the talk. That said, their silence on the issue is a little deafening and the feeling I get is that their plans are in flux and they'll let us know when decisions are finalized. To be safe I remain resigned to the possibility that the other paths might be too good to exist on this poo poo earth

I might be misremembering my second-hand facts, but wasn't releasing the game in this state a mad bid to re-cooperate the money they lost when the Russian economy tanked and the ruble along with it? I definitely got the impression that they had already lost the financial wiggle-room to finish it properly.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

^More or less. Honestly it’s already a little crazy that IPL has survived 15 years releasing only openly hostile games that no one buys.

Not to act like it’s some magical mystery though, no doubt it mostly involves a lot of hardship on the part of everyone involved. The Void was a documentary :sigh:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

wasn't releasing the game in this state a mad bid to re-cooperate the money they lost when the Russian economy tanked and the ruble along with it?
This part just doesn't make sense to me. Kickstarter doesn't pay out in rubles. And they couldn't possibly receive the funding earlier than, say, November - at that point the ruble was already obviously circling the drain. You'd think that's an advantageous position to be in. I remember thinking "Well, at least now the icepicks are getting paid!" I wonder what happened there. Such a bummer either way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

woodenchicken posted:

This part just doesn't make sense to me. Kickstarter doesn't pay out in rubles. And they couldn't possibly receive the funding earlier than, say, November - at that point the ruble was already obviously circling the drain. You'd think that's an advantageous position to be in. I remember thinking "Well, at least now the icepicks are getting paid!" I wonder what happened there. Such a bummer either way.

IIRC it's not the Kickstarter cash that fell through because of it it's the rest of it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

Didn't the Kickstarter only gather like 300 000$? That's enough to pitch the project to publishers (who will then foot the actual necessary investment), not enough to finance year-long game development for a full team.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
I wonder if it would behoove IPL more to attempt to go forward with the other character playthroughs or to focus on releasing the other platforms first (they initially promised PC/Mac/PS4/XB1)? I know next to nothing about optimization or gamedev but, if they're in such a dire spot financially, it seems like it would require less time/energy to create port versions of what they already have than working on creating 20+ hours of new questlines and whatever unique gameplay elements the changeling and bachelor would have. A re-release could also drive some new sales (I know a good number of friends without gaming rigs who are desperate to be able to check the game out on their consoles) and maybe a few fresh positive reviews from platform-exclusive outlets with the accessibility boon of the recent difficulty patch.

Tinybuild could also stand to promote the game... at all? I see garish Hello Neighbor banner ads constantly and its a little infuriating when such a unique and stunning title is going totally unmentioned

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, I'm going into the Abattoir half dead, having used the last serum on myself after a bit, seven infected (luck's finally run out on the sand dirt dice rolls), Grace moved in with Peter (who's also infected great work finding a home guys), I have one schmowder, and I'm holding it for Bad Grief. I'm down to a piece of toast and a handful of tinctures, a heart because I lucked into a spindle for Anna, and random trash. On the plus side I fixed 1 (one) water pump so I don't die of thirst by Big Vlad.

Goin' great! :buddy:

Also, lmao: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/10/pathologic-2s-easy-mode-lets-you-soak-in-the-dread-of-an-unwell-town

quote:

if you play on its original difficulty setting as I did for our olde Pathologic 2 review. You might consider this our newe reviewe, because since the game’s release the developers have updated the scrounge ‘em up with an easy mode. But also a set of sliders that lets you tweak your own difficulty. You can crack the hunger rate down to 50 percent, you can slow the rate of infection, tiredness, and thirst. You can make your clothes more hardy, so your boots are less likely to fall apart at the worst moment.

The purists are probably wretching and tearing their hair out as I mention each of these concessions (and they are probably enjoying that, the perverts). But such tweaks are the only reason I came back to this strange, horror-tinged game of plague-doctoring. After all, I promised to return if it added an easy mode. As a result, I’ve now wandered bootless through this sickened town for 32 hours and have hit the game’s ending (well, an ending, but more on that later).

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 20, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lopside posted:

I wonder if it would behoove IPL more to attempt to go forward with the other character playthroughs or to focus on releasing the other platforms first (they initially promised PC/Mac/PS4/XB1)? I know next to nothing about optimization or gamedev but, if they're in such a dire spot financially, it seems like it would require less time/energy to create port versions of what they already have than working on creating 20+ hours of new questlines and whatever unique gameplay elements the changeling and bachelor would have. A re-release could also drive some new sales (I know a good number of friends without gaming rigs who are desperate to be able to check the game out on their consoles) and maybe a few fresh positive reviews from platform-exclusive outlets with the accessibility boon of the recent difficulty patch.

You're forgetting that IPL are exactly the kind of developers who would prioritize finishing their project over what's sound business-wise. Even the original Pathologic has that secret ending where they pretty much lament that they never got to create their full vision of the haruspex and changeling campaigns due to practical constraints.

Lopside posted:

Tinybuild could also stand to promote the game... at all? I see garish Hello Neighbor banner ads constantly and its a little infuriating when such a unique and stunning title is going totally unmentioned

:negative:

Still holding out hope for Mandalore bringing in a few thousand new players whenever he gets to that review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol everyone I wanted to save is now infected or dying v:v:v

Bad Grief or Lara gets the schmowder since they both failed their rolls

e: I traded literally everything for a second but I ate a few plague clouds so gently caress. The Vlads are alive but the Kin are salty. Saburov, Georgiy, Eva (lol) and another is dead, five infected, four in danger. Notkin got his dumb rear end reinfected. gently caress you! Crawlin' into day 8! :toot:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 20, 2019