Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
AEW has needed some dangerous heels and I guess it turns out Shawn Spears is the guy. Young Bucks and Cody could only go so long without opponents, but we’re starting to see the shape of things now. The last BTE implied Road To is Codys baby, so its interesting to see Codys mind and vision for the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks to the people that pointed out the Road to All Out promo by Page because drat gently caress I'm gonna pay for All Out now

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I bought into Shawn Spears the moment he called himself the Chairman.

I'm glad I was correct to.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Natural 20 posted:

I bought into Shawn Spears the moment he called himself the Chairman.
I've been waiting for Spears vs. Park ever since.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave says the Kylie thing is a medical issue and she's expected back soon

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, call me out of the loop, but had something been done to rehabilitate Tony Schiavone? Last I had heard, he was a bitter old fart whose lifeless commentary had walked WCW to a final grave. And since then, he had done precisely nothing.

Did he do something good, and become an Always Good Commentator Actually?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

rotinaj posted:

So, call me out of the loop, but had something been done to rehabilitate Tony Schiavone? Last I had heard, he was a bitter old fart whose lifeless commentary had walked WCW to a final grave. And since then, he had done precisely nothing.

Did he do something good, and become an Always Good Commentator Actually?

He does a podcast with Conrad Thompson where they watch old PPVs & do commentary over it. Basically, his answer to the "he was a bitter old fart whose lifeless commentary had walked WCW to a final grave" criticism was "late WCW loving sucked at all levels" and upon reflection that's hard to argue against. That & the easier access to the old Saturday NWA shows on the Network has changed a few peoples' minds. He's also done work for MLW where's he's been decent, if not great. Certainly better than JR in 2019.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah having to call WCW at the end must have been rough being that it was garbage on all levels

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Id take death of wcw Tony over marvaez and the entire raw booth.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
schiavone has a good voice for broadcasting and doesn't sound real old like JR does. i hope he does more stuff with AEW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tony was good at his job before WCW caught Hogan-itis, and from his time in MLW, I get the impression he's made peace with stuff, he seemed genuinely enthusiastic in both MLW and AEW, and enthusiasm is a big part of coming off as a credible, good announcer.

And really, if he's just doing control center stuff, it won't be a huge problem if people don't take to him. Those segments aren't very long, and he's just introducing stuff.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Tony has also been doing baseball play by play for most of the last 20 years as well. The reason why MLW had to get Cornette is that Tony had baseball games on whatever night they do shows and couldn’t do MLW anymore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Djarum posted:

Tony has also been doing baseball play by play for most of the last 20 years as well. The reason why MLW had to get Cornette is that Tony had baseball games on whatever night they do shows and couldn’t do MLW anymore.

And working a 2nd job at Starbucks.

:capitalism:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Court's bringing him back in August apparently

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dave gave the triple tag team 3.5 but Bucks v Rhodes 4.

Big Dave is cancelled.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bucks v Rhodes was a 4 alright...

4 hours long!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lid posted:

Dave gave the triple tag team 3.5 but Bucks v Rhodes 4.

Big Dave is cancelled.

what were the other scores

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

what were the other scores

Avalon/Sonny *1/4
Britt and Riho vs Bea and Shoko **3/4
Darby, Jimmy and Joey vs Shawn, Sammy and MJF ***
Allie/Brandie *1/2
Page/Sabian ***1/4
Lucha Bros/SCU ***3/4
CIMA/Kenny ****1/2

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

instead of any real commissioner role they should just have a not really fully shaped Championship Committee and you can use certain old guys to act as representatives of the committee to deliver messages on its behalf. this way you can have your Bret Hart, Tully Blanchard, Gail Kim, or Jake Roberts or whoever issue match announcements without it feeling like its just coming from the wrestlers on the roster.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Chris James 2 posted:

Avalon/Sonny *1/4
Britt and Riho vs Bea and Shoko **3/4
Darby, Jimmy and Joey vs Shawn, Sammy and MJF ***
Allie/Brandie *1/2
Page/Sabian ***1/4
Lucha Bros/SCU ***3/4
CIMA/Kenny ****1/2

Yeah all those scores seem low. The woman’s tag was well over three stars. I didn’t think that Sonny Kiss match or the Allie/Brandie were anywhere near single star ratings. I’ll read WON in a bit after I wake up more.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Djarum posted:

Yeah all those scores seem low. The woman’s tag was well over three stars. I didn’t think that Sonny Kiss match or the Allie/Brandie were anywhere near single star ratings. I’ll read WON in a bit after I wake up more.

i think the ratings are maybe a 1/4* low for everything but i agree with the idea that CIMA/Omega was the best match on the card.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tbh aew's in-ring stuff has been mediocre across the board, to the point that it has me discouraged about the product overall.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

shiksa posted:

in the past day i have turned around on the new order because stu greyson is a vega guy and on hangman page because he is from the same hometown as me.

for real though, we were in high school at the same time. wonder where he went.

seriously tho i hope that cut doesnt get infected

e: ah, he moved to greensboro. well thats still cool i suppose.

If he lives in GSO I'm going to keep my eye out for him and let everyone know if he exudes "it" in person

And if his height is gimmicked

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I thought the Kenny/CIMA match was too slow and kinda too long. Seems like a higher rating than what it should've gotten but that's just me.

Three way tag match deserved a higher rating. Best match of the night for me.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

dsriggs posted:

He does a podcast with Conrad Thompson where they watch old PPVs & do commentary over it. Basically, his answer to the "he was a bitter old fart whose lifeless commentary had walked WCW to a final grave" criticism was "late WCW loving sucked at all levels" and upon reflection that's hard to argue against. That & the easier access to the old Saturday NWA shows on the Network has changed a few peoples' minds. He's also done work for MLW where's he's been decent, if not great. Certainly better than JR in 2019.

Are there people who really thought Schiavone sucked? I mean, the guy ruled when the product wasn't a complete and total poo poo show. How can you fault him for stopping caring when the product was a disaster?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

cams posted:

tbh aew's in-ring stuff has been mediocre across the board, to the point that it has me discouraged about the product overall.

That is objectively not true.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

cams posted:

This is bait

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i dont feel qualified to comment on any of this really but a) SCU is corny as gently caress, don't know how y'all are buying in to that schtick and b) if they wanna make page look like a badass they should make his silhouette take up more of the frame when they shoot stills of him 'cause he looks small on tv

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
SCU works because theyre a bunch of corny middle aged california guys driving convertibles and listening to van halen

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

shiksa posted:

SCU works because theyre a bunch of corny middle aged california guys driving convertibles and listening to van halen

i guess living here destroys the illusion :/

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Also they're corny but they're fun, pretty tongue in cheek, and they put on good matches and aren't being pushed as top talent. In fact they've been pretty much used as enhancement guys thus far.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wezlar posted:

Also they're corny but they're fun, pretty tongue in cheek, and they put on good matches and aren't being pushed as top talent. In fact they've been pretty much used as enhancement guys thus far.

An extremely rich man's 3MB

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ill try to look at them more as a tongue in cheek thing, i've only seen them on the three shows aew has run or whatever but i didnt get that its supposed to be being done winkingly

and uh...jericho is gonna get off the sauce before his big match right

alcodad is a bad look for putting over your first world champ

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Imagine getting upset that wrestlers are corny.

It’s wrestling.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Imagine getting upset that wrestlers are corny.

It’s wrestling.

i am pretty clearly teeth-grittingly upset, here

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

boar guy posted:

i am pretty clearly teeth-grittingly upset, here

Even when I was typing it I felt like upset was the wrong word. Still though, it’s wrestling. Shits corny.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Even when I was typing it I felt like upset was the wrong word. Still though, it’s wrestling. Shits corny.

there's corny and there's trying too hard and what i get from scu is trying too hard. i like scorpio sky though

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

say what you will, you have to be fair to corny

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

boar guy posted:

there's corny and there's trying too hard and what i get from scu is trying too hard. i like scorpio sky though

They aren’t trying to hard though. The fans pop hard for them. They’re over, pretty effortlessly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The_Rob posted:

They aren’t trying to hard though. The fans pop hard for them. They’re over, pretty effortlessly too.

its just like, my opinion man