Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
are there any scholars who can back my theory that the cocaine hard on of the 80s was codified and taught to econ students over the next few decades so there will always be a small self sustaining bubble of inexplicably semisuccessful jackasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ghosTTy posted:

Bitcoin is decentralized

When you get of Fyad s probe, please respond to my question or face similar.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Reminder that the price of bitcoin currently is held almost single-handedly by an exchange going "yeah uh we totally have a couple billion dollars guys, can we sell you these IOUs for it in exchange for some bitcoin? No you can never cash the IOUs in and no we won't show you the dollars"

It's almost magical in a sense

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
hey so now number go down again did anyone manage to document the full process of going USD in bank account -> Bitcoin -> more USDT in bank account after paying cap gains tax? Methods that include taking a photo of your drivers license and Social Security number and sending them to some guy on the internet who says he's totally a regulated institution do not count.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Clockwerk posted:

I think it’s still fair to say that it does matter, since every tether being backed by 1 United States dollar was a foundational principle of the confidence scam

and this is the absolutely key point that the NY AG is concerned about

this is what started the present fuss

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

isndl posted:

How are you going to win the arms race against the current players who can expand their existing infrastructure for less than it would cost you to build new infrastructure?

For a while, the equipment to mine butts developed so quickly, you had to buy new continuously just to remain at status quo: everybody else were getting new mining power so fast your share went down, and your costs were higher because the new equipment could mine more butts per megawatt.

In that situation growing as a new player is as easy as remaining a significant player.

Of course, many of the big players develop their own equipment, both as testbenches for customers or even legitimately. Well, it’s bitcoin so “legitimately.”

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

are there any scholars who can back my theory that the cocaine hard on of the 80s was codified and taught to econ students over the next few decades so there will always be a small self sustaining bubble of inexplicably semisuccessful jackasses

No, that was about the Contras

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Did butts go down?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Doccykins posted:

hey so now number go down again did anyone manage to document the full process of going USD in bank account -> Bitcoin -> more USDT in bank account after paying cap gains tax? Methods that include taking a photo of your drivers license and Social Security number and sending them to some guy on the internet who says he's totally a regulated institution do not count.
why wouldn't the latter method count? that rules out any US exchange like coinbase or gemini

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 17, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

How is someone this dumb smart enough to use a computer

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Numba go sideways and back

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bust Rodd posted:

How is someone this dumb smart enough to use a computer

The most amazing thing about people who post things like that is that everyone always responds telling them it's a terrible idea and they always follow up by posting that they're going to do it anyway.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Have you heard of Zaurg?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MrUnderbridge posted:

Have you heard of Zaurg?

You just know that dumbass has coins again

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PathAsc posted:

You just know that dumbass has coins again

The dip; buy it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

why wouldn't the latter method count? that rules out any US exchange like coinbase or gemini

i am reliably told that coinbase is a scam

https://twitter.com/Fab00se/status/1151327385733779456

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Bitcoiner definition of a scam site: a site that takes 10% of your money instead of taking it all

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Bitcoin made “honest ponzi” a phrase and I love it.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
number go up

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

El_Elegante posted:

Bitcoin made “honest ponzi” a phrase and I love it.
The concept of an "honest ponzi" predates bitcoin, but they were also often called high yield income programs. As banks wouldn't touch them they were one of the use cases of the pre-bitcoin digital currencies like e-gold, pecunix, webmoney, etc.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Number goes up 1000 in a few minutes. That makes perfect sense.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Don't forget the obvious response to number go up: number go down.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gobbeldygook posted:

The concept of an "honest ponzi" predates bitcoin, but they were also often called high yield income programs. As banks wouldn't touch them they were one of the use cases of the pre-bitcoin digital currencies like e-gold, pecunix, webmoney, etc.

What was honest about HYIP? I thought they went to great lengths to hide that they were ponzi schemes.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
"Honest ponzi" is far funnier than "high yield income program" IMO. Say it out loud or use it in a sentence.

I run an honest ponzi using bitcoins.

But is it more lucrative than pretending to be Elon Musk on Twitter creating crypto giveaways?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bitcoin was better when it was all about small time scammers (Pirate Savings & Trust) or incompetent people trying to start a business in the worst way possible (smelting Gold ingots, Woolong device).

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lambert posted:

Bitcoin was better when it was all about small time scammers (Pirate Savings & Trust) or incompetent people trying to start a business in the worst way possible (smelting Gold ingots, Woolong device).

"was"?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I feel like all the action is in pumping & dumping now, only the lowest-effort scams are left (money doublers, ie). I want more Bitcoin dried strawberries and pre-mined mining hardware.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i miss the purity of watching a YouTube video of a guy smelting an ingot in his driveway and then pounding on it like a demented chimpanzee

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lambert posted:

Strawberry jerky

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lambert posted:

Yeah, that stuff was at least entertainingly insane, as opposed to this poo poo where it's all some variation on ghost titty

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Azathoth posted:

i miss the purity of watching a YouTube video of a guy smelting an ingot in his driveway and then pounding on it like a demented chimpanzee

I never knew I needed to see this, do you got a link to it?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I don't think Logansryche, woolong device or The Adventures of Dank really hold a candle to some of the other early-thread misadventures but different people gonna like different things

self-administered brain damage, the exchange hosted on a backup-less Amazon instance, and BITCOIN IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL were some of my initial favorites

also it's hard to call Pirateat40 small time when that guy would be a bitcoin billionaire if he had managed to keep the money

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My favorite* part of the Pirateat40 story was all these things that were like "Oh no your bitcoin investment is not being put into Pirate's ponzi scheme" (they all were, one and all)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

orange juche posted:

i just tried to find it and sorry, no luck. the guy's name was johnnywalker or something similar if you want to try your luck

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

ymgve posted:

I mean, sure, if someone uses a card when buying stuff. But if someone uses cash without a membership card, they don't know who that person is. Unless they know which bank account that bill came from, which is what the ATM withdrawal scanning fixes.

Congratulations on saying some of the most blatantly stupid poo poo in a thread packed to the brim with stupid poo poo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i wrap my membership card in tin foil so they can't track me

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKak7tPxd2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xumuMXUyRQ

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao he takes lovely garbage silver, performs basic arithmetic and determines that combining two items that are half silver equal pure silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

orange juche posted:

determines that combining two items that are half silver equal pure silver.
Cryptomath!