Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sininu posted:

Anyone with dual monitors and desktop speakers? I just bought a new 27 inch display and it and the old one take up so much space even on monitor arm I can't figure out if it's even possible to have a nice speaker setup now.

Just got my speakers that I had a lot of trouble fitting on the desk. Swapped the displays around and had to re-position the monitor arm clamp multiple times.

Next week my chair will also arrive and I can finally be comfy. :woop:

Next step will be getting rid of the laptop and router on the table by building a proper desktop PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Spent the last month replacing my PC and some peripherals. And also adding addressable RGB to my desk and monitor [well, the desk lighting is a Lifx strip and the monitor is a cheap LED strip on an arduino with a remote]. It’s ridiculous and I love it, and also helps with eye strain.

Also built a tiny PC stand so it’s not sitting right on my desk and I kinda love it. Had scrap from building my wife’s desk left over as well as some hairpin legs from a coffee table I took apart. Threw in some cable management on the back of it and it’s my new favorite piece of furniture. Also I had no money leftover to buy anything after spending it all in computer and speaker upgrades. Oops.

The desk is a piece of butcher block I pulled out of a lady’s kitchen who was remodeling, refinished and bolted on some A-frame legs.

PC on the lil stand

skylined! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 1, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
first time I’ve ever seen a jizz themed build, I’ll say that much

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

skylined! posted:

Also built a tiny PC stand so it’s not sitting right on my desk and I kinda love it. Had scrap from building my wife’s desk left over as well as some hairpin legs from a coffee table I took apart. Threw in some cable management on the back of it and it’s my new favorite piece of furniture. Also I had no money leftover to buy anything after spending it all in computer and speaker upgrades. Oops.

Can you take some more pictures of this? Looks great.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Djarum posted:

Can you take some more pictures of this? Looks great.

Sure - here are a few. One where I was seeing how dumb I could make the led strips.

https://imgur.com/a/8XFQmr3

The front is open and makes for good keyboard storage. There is a partition toward the back where bound up cables can get stored away and some holes drilled in the top near the back to rout them up to the back of the PC. I am not a great carpenter and it’s by no means a complicated piece of craftsmanship but serves its function and is better then the case taking up space on my desk!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

skylined! posted:

Spent the last month replacing my PC and some peripherals. And also adding addressable RGB to my desk and monitor [well, the desk lighting is a Lifx strip and the monitor is a cheap LED strip on an arduino with a remote]. It’s ridiculous and I love it, and also helps with eye strain.

The desk is a piece of butcher block I pulled out of a lady’s kitchen who was remodeling, refinished and bolted on some A-frame legs.

PC on the lil stand

Are those christmas lights in that 9900k box?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

Bioluminescent jizz

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

carry on then posted:

Ya.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's clearly cherenkov radiation. It runs at 3.6 ghz. Not bad, not great.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

lol that's actually kinda cool. With the PC so far away from everything else, did you pick up some sort of extension cables for everything, or were they just long enough to reach over there?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

RandomZero posted:

lol that's actually kinda cool. With the PC so far away from everything else, did you pick up some sort of extension cables for everything, or were they just long enough to reach over there?

I got longer power and optical cables, and have a 15ft active display port cable for the monitor. Also put a powered USB hub on the back of the desk and a 15ft cable to the PC. Everything is run on raceways on the baseboard so whole the PC is only about 6ft from the desk it’s still more like 12-13ft or linear footage.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it's clean as hell and i like it & if my tower wasn't hiding the mess of cables behind it i would absolutely be using that wall-channel method. i did that in my living room and ended up painting it the same color as the wall.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Can I get a link to that case? was it easy to work with?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Fano posted:

Can I get a link to that case? was it easy to work with?

Lian Li dynamic o11. Mostly easy to work in if you have typical stuff in it - components, fans, AIO. Was not easy with a custom loop. Don’t pick it up by the aluminum supports - they are riveted.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

skylined! posted:

I got longer power and optical cables, and have a 15ft active display port cable for the monitor. Also put a powered USB hub on the back of the desk and a 15ft cable to the PC. Everything is run on raceways on the baseboard so whole the PC is only about 6ft from the desk it’s still more like 12-13ft or linear footage.

Thanks for the explanation, that's awesome.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have desk/chair/setup recommendations for someone on the shorter side? (5'2) Or just general ergonomic tips if you've been in a similar situation?

I came by maybe a year ago with some similar questions, I got a desk from Ikea that has adjustable height, as well as swapped out my 7 or so year old desk chair for a Steelcase Series 1 that had much better adjust-ability, but honestly after some time while some previous problems with hand discomfort/pains got better, I'm really not finding it to be very comfortable overall.

What I'm not really getting is I feel like I should be really close to what ergonomic calculators say I should be at- for my height the surface should be at 23" from the ground - my desk's lowest setting is around 26" and I'm using a footrest, so my arms are in a good position, but I'm frequently finding my legs uncomfortable. I think part of the problem is the Series' 1 has a fairly curved cushion so it's a bit weird for how I sit? But I can't help but feel like the height of the chair might be an issue despite that the foot rest should be making up the difference?

Sorry this is a bit of a mess, this has become a bit of a stress point for the past year or so.

e: To give something a bit easier to respond to, when I last came around some people suggested to avoid older model HM Aerons - is there an easy way to tell them apart from the "good" ones? While looking at liquidators, I've seen a few different looking ones - black with horizontal lumbar, black with the Xish shaped lumbar, and sliver with the Xish shaped lumbar. Doing some light research, there also seems to be a "remastered" which has a vertical style lumbar -is the Classic/Remastered the old/new people generally mean?
e2: This is the seller I'm looking at: https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/68053660/1 Looks like they have some Leap V2s as well, which I've heard good things about?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 18, 2019

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have desk/chair/setup recommendations for someone on the shorter side? (5'2) Or just general ergonomic tips if you've been in a similar situation?

I came by maybe a year ago with some similar questions, I got a desk from Ikea that has adjustable height, as well as swapped out my 7 or so year old desk chair for a Steelcase Series 1 that had much better adjust-ability, but honestly after some time while some previous problems with hand discomfort/pains got better, I'm really not finding it to be very comfortable overall.

What I'm not really getting is I feel like I should be really close to what ergonomic calculators say I should be at- for my height the surface should be at 23" from the ground - my desk's lowest setting is around 26" and I'm using a footrest, so my arms are in a good position, but I'm frequently finding my legs uncomfortable. I think part of the problem is the Series' 1 has a fairly curved cushion so it's a bit weird for how I sit? But I can't help but feel like the height of the chair might be an issue despite that the foot rest should be making up the difference?

Sorry this is a bit of a mess, this has become a bit of a stress point for the past year or so.

e: To give something a bit easier to respond to, when I last came around some people suggested to avoid older model HM Aerons - is there an easy way to tell them apart from the "good" ones? While looking at liquidators, I've seen a few different looking ones - black with horizontal lumbar, black with the Xish shaped lumbar, and sliver with the Xish shaped lumbar. Doing some light research, there also seems to be a "remastered" which has a vertical style lumbar -is the Classic/Remastered the old/new people generally mean?
e2: This is the seller I'm looking at: https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/68053660/1 Looks like they have some Leap V2s as well, which I've heard good things about?

Have you thought about adding a keyboard tray to the desk to lower the height your arms have to go to? Looking at that desk it would be pretty easy to set one up under it that could bridge that 3" or be really close.

I've mentioned in this thread before about how easy it is to make a really robust one for 30-50 bucks with very minimal tools.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Koskun posted:

Have you thought about adding a keyboard tray to the desk to lower the height your arms have to go to? Looking at that desk it would be pretty easy to set one up under it that could bridge that 3" or be really close.

I've mentioned in this thread before about how easy it is to make a really robust one for 30-50 bucks with very minimal tools.

I'm not super keen on a keyboard tray since I have a drawing tablet (wacom intuos) that would be a bit tricky to find space for, short of having a really deep tray?

But in regards to adding a tray to this desk - what would be the approach? There's a metal brace that crosses underneath, would I mount to that rather then the underside of the surface?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not super keen on a keyboard tray since I have a drawing tablet (wacom intuos) that would be a bit tricky to find space for, short of having a really deep tray?

But in regards to adding a tray to this desk - what would be the approach? There's a metal brace that crosses underneath, would I mount to that rather then the underside of the surface?

I just noticed that support structure underneath, with what looks like a cable catch/hammock. It could be mounted to that, but the hardware requirement would go up. At the least a good drill and set of metal bits (and maybe a punch or nail will work). Depending on where you are, you might be able to rent out a drill though. It will all depend on where the mounts for the rails line up on the desk. If they can mount to the wood, then is there enough space between the tray and the rails for things to slide under them? If on the metal that wouldn't be a concern. If on the wood underside then you may want to consider spacers the thickness of the metal supports. It adds a touch more work and material, but not much at all.

I built mine out of a stair tread. One of these in fact. And then something like these keyboard slides.

Two reasons I used a stair tread. The first is I happened to have one in the garage. But the main one is, they are smooth and have a nice rounded edge. Now, they are just under 12" deep (standard is 11.5"). So you'd be looking at keyboard, mouse, wacom side by side by side. And the pull distance on the slides I linked is 10". Now Amazon does have slides that go up to 18", and you could do 2 "trays", then have a really deep tray. Wouldn't be that much more work either.

One thing you may have noticed on the tread is that it is 4' long. Most every lumber store out there will cut a piece to length for a nominal fee (like a few bucks at most, maybe even free for just one piece like that).

When I mounted mine I simply put the tray on my chair's armrests, set it to it's lowest height, slid it under the desk, then popped it up. The hydraulics held it in place just fine so I could mark, drill, and then mount.

Swing on over to the paint/stain department and pick up what ya want and a cheap package of foam brushes. I do recommend putting something on it, if for no other reason than to help seal the wood and protect from staining (and help a bit with wear).

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
It's desktop adjacent, but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out; I mounted my networking gear to an old snowboard and hung that on the wall:

I think the next step might be to re-wire the patch cables in A E S T H E T I C colors, and maybe build a small floating shelf for my NAS and RPi.

I'm also ridiculously proud of my non-actual desktop as it's probably the best picture I've taken in years and just happened to fit my unusual monitor layout perfectly.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

My only experience is with an older steelcase think which apparently has the same range of seat height/depth settings as your series 1 (you do have some type of controls to adjust the seat depth right?) but the front lip of the seat has a little bit of give to it. You might check it out since IIRC the complaint about the seat of the aeron is that the front lip that the fabric attaches to can dig into the back of your thighs, and the leap has a similar kind of hammock construction.

Those prices seem very high too, aerons are still inflated from the tech bro copycat boom but I got my think for 125 from a warehouse a few years ago. I guess it could be canada-specific though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

monsterzero posted:

I'm also ridiculously proud of my non-actual desktop as it's probably the best picture I've taken in years and just happened to fit my unusual monitor layout perfectly.

This picture is great. Nature is wonderful.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
I must be weird, I HATE keyboard trays.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Jack Forge posted:

You're not, I dislike them too. I'd rather the whole desk be height adjustable.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

For a dissenting opinion, I like them as its clears up more desktop space for other things.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I like mine, but it's also almost 4' long.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I ordered 2 Jarvis Bamboo Standing Desks from Fully and finished setting them up yesterday.

The 48" wide desks have plenty of space for a single monitor and tower but are cramped with two. If I order another desk I will probably order something wider. Maybe in the 60 inch range.

The good:
  • The desks look good. My wife thinks they look good too.
  • They are very sturdy. They are sturdier than any desk I saw in store, and that includes the Steelcase Migration and Ology desks. The Steelcase desks are wobbly at maximum height but the Jarvis is almost completely stable at the same height. It's hard to explain how disconcerting a wobbling desk supporting three to five thousand dollars of electronics is unless you've tested other standing desks and seen just how unstable they are. The sturdiness and stability are really big positives for me.
  • The range of heights supported is larger than most competitors.
  • It comes with 10 wire control widgets you can stick onto the desk or leg surfaces. These are amazingly helpful in keeping all the wires headed in the right direction. A fantastic addition to the package that I can't praise enough. They make life so much better and neater.
  • I ordered one of their Topo anti-fatigue mats. I haven't used it much yet, but I already like it better than either of the mats I've used at work. It's larger and lighter than my previous mats which means I'm much more likely to actually go get it. You can get these same mats from Amazon, but they're a little cheaper if you bundle them with your desk purchase.
  • The price. A 48 inch desk costs about $600. Most of the other desks I looked at were at least $100 more. Steelcase desks were a cool thousand each.

The Bad
  • The desks don't go as low as specs claim. The specs claim that the desks lower to 23.75 inches but the height controller reports a minimum height of 24.1 inches. The controller also adjusts by 0.1 increments so a minimum height of x.75 doesn't even make sense. Fortunately the desk can go as low as I need it to with my current chair so this isn't a deal breaker for me.
  • I ordered a desk drawer accessory with my desk. The screws that came with it did not stay embedded in the desk but instead drilled big holes in it. I stopped after trying to get the second screw in before I completely ruined my desk. Do not, under any circumstance, order any accessories that attach to the desk.
  • No collision detection. If you try to lower the desk while something is under it, something is going to get broken. Considering your legs are often under the desk this is a little worrying. Most quality adjustable desks have collision detection now.

The Ugly
  • One of the desks arrived damaged. The surface had multiple dents and excess resin. One of the legs, which shipped separately, was scratched as well. Many of the screw holes didn't line up completely correctly which made the desk harder to assemble. The desk came with a large number of rubber gaskets for the screws, which is good, but unfortunately they were too squishy and wriggled out from under the screws even when being tightened only by hand. After I noticed the problem I started tightening the screws a lot less and the desk seems sturdy enough for the moment but Fully was concerned enough about it to include instructions to always support the desk by both the surface and the legs when moving it. Attention to detail was about on par with what I'd expect from a $20 walmart desk, not a $600 desk. Workmanship was less polished than I've seen on the two Ikea products I've bought. The defects don't prevent the desk from being used, but are extremely disappointing at this price point.
  • Half of the wire control grommets that fit into the holes in the back of the desktop arrived destroyed. One was shattered and the other was both cracked in half and had the pin snapped off. I've contacted them to get replacements and they said they'd send new ones the next business day.
  • I used a stopwatch app to time how long it took me to assemble the desks. The first desk took 2 hours and 40 minutes. The desks arrived in the evening so by the time I was done assembling it, it was time for bed. After a good nights rest I was able to assemble the second desk in 1 hour and 42 minutes. Steelcase will assemble their desk for you and Vert desk advertises their assembly time is only 5 minutes.
  • The control sometimes continues lowering the desk even after you let go. Combined with the lack of collision detection I'm tempted to view this as a safety issue. However, since the controller has 4 memory presets you'll only rarely be using the down control directly.

Oxyclean posted:

For chair suggestions, try out the chair thread. Really though, you need to go and try them yourself. My leap v2 felt immediately comfortable the second I sat down in it in a way no other office chair ever has. It really surprised me because I was leaning towards an embody before that.

I also have a low ergonomic height. The only desk I've seen that even claims to go under 23" is the steelcase migration. It's specs say 22 & 3/5" but I'm not sure I believe that. I don't remember them going that low when I was looking at them, but I didn't have my tape measure with me either. I think your best bet is going to be some sort of keyboard tray like was previously suggested. I'm confused what you are using a keyboard for if you're mostly drawing on a tablet though.

The next lowest adjustable desk I found was the Jarvis I'm using, but as I said, its a little too tall for you.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 22, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack Forge posted:

We're all weird here, pal.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jack Forge posted:

I thought keyboard trays died in the early 2000s.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I thought keyboard trays died in the early 2000s.

In my case I bought a couple of used executive desks. 6' wide, 3' deep, with drawers on one side. Their height is just a touch higher than my chair would go to comfortably use a keyboard and mouse. I had a couple of the cheap Staples/Office Max plastic keyboard trays at the time, but making one almost 4' wide was just about as easy, didn't cost much at all (it actually cost more for the slides than I spent on the desks), and provides way more comfort and space than anything out there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I use a tray primarily for ergonomics. My desk is about 2 inches too tall for my chair to be adjusted correctly and have my monitor at the right height as well as my arms. Tray solves it just fine without trying to find another desk.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

LLSix posted:

I ordered 2 Jarvis Bamboo Standing Desks from Fully and finished setting them up yesterday.

The Bad
  • I ordered a desk drawer accessory with my desk. The screws that came with it did not stay embedded in the desk but instead drilled big holes in it. I stopped after trying to get the second screw in before I completely ruined my desk. Do not, under any circumstance, order any accessories that attach to the desk.
  • No collision detection. If you try to lower the desk while something is under it, something is going to get broken. Considering your legs are often under the desk this is a little worrying. Most quality adjustable desks have collision detection now.

Yeah the desk drawers that come with it suck :( .
I used a jarvis at work for 3 years, and ended up using a jarvis frame for my WFH set-up I have now (last page), and it should have anti-collision though. :thunk:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Bought a townhouse in November, finally moved in today. Lots of refurbishing and what not, and two months where I didn't have Internet after I ordered it and they came to hook me up.

Anyway, it's very messy and cluttered, and I haven't finished moving in everything either, but at least I got my computer up and running. After all, that's what's important.
I'll probably post more later. When the mess around me is gone and my geeky living room is done.

For now, take this picture.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Desk-knowers, please help me ease my suffering from a desk layout that is deeply ergonomically flawed.

I have a home office with a beautiful desk that I picked up years ago on the cheap, that is much nicer than anything I could actually afford today. Problem is, it was emphatically not designed for computer use, and the desk’s surface is a good 8” / 20cm higher than it needs to be for my mouse-using arm to rest comfortably on it. For years I’ve used a tray table like this one to rest my hand and forearm at a more comfortable height, but it’s never been perfect and I’m starting to develop shoulder issues from it. I’d like to find something to use as a mouse surface which can mount under the desk, and either swivel into place in front of my chair’s armrest, or which includes a separate arm-rest. I’ve found a number of mouse trays that clamp onto the desk, but none that I’ve seen have let you adjust the height, or better yet, include an arm that lets you swivel / extend / etc.

I see there’s options like these ergonomic armrests, which would be perfect if they could mount under the desk, but I haven't found anything that fits the bill yet. Any suggestions?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

They make trays that mount to desk chair arms. Get those, a split keyboard, and a trackball.

VIVO Black Universal Clamp-on Adjustable Arm Rest Mouse Pad with Wrist Cushion | Extension Platform Tray Attaches to Desk or Chair (MOUNT-MS02B) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLZM2PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hXKxDbX19F0HP

Coredump fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 22, 2019

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
My understanding is wrist rests cause more problems than they solve, there is pretty broad consensus out there that they tend to restrict blood flow.

Normally I would recommend raising your chair height and getting a foot rest, but 20cm is a lot of ground to make up. Ideally you would just knock half a foot off the desk legs. Might be worth finding a new desk for your computer if it's that much trouble/money to make it work.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yikes, restricted blood flow is, uh, not ideal. Is it specifically from having a thing your wrists rest on, pressing against those big arteries, or do even armrests present that kind of issue?

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Specifically the wrist pad/rest things that are often billed as ergonomic and sometimes attached to mouse pads, haven't heard anything about arm rests in general. I guess because, yeah, major arteries on the underside of your wrist being so exposed so any pressure over long periods is not great.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

They also put stress and pressure on your carpal tunnel, exacerbating an already recurrent issue. Basically anything you rest your wrist on in any capacity (your actual wrist, like the part that does all the bendy stuff) is worse than nothing at all. Something that's more of a forearm rest is much better, and should allow for the full and unrestricted movement of the wrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

~Not a doctor!~ TALK TO A PHYSICIAN IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT PHYSICAL HEALTH DON'T JUST TRUST GOONS. ERGONOMICS IS PHYSICAL HEALTH.

Use your x-rests properly, and they can be part of a very nice ergonomic setup. Use them improperly, and they can be another source of issues.

Canada has a surprisingly good succinct overview of it on their OSHA equivalent site: https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/wrist.html

As a general guideline pretty much try to avoid continuous pressure and being stationary, aim to avoid tension in your muscles or weird angles where you think you're "relaxed" but you're still tensing up muscles to get there. You want actually relaxed muscles.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 28, 2019