Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Bolo Shovelware, leader of the revolutionary cyber-army known as the Reapers.

Ah yes, "reapers". :turianass:
We have dismissed that claim.

Edit, content:
Has anyone else read the Star Risk series by Chris Bunch?
I thought they were pretty good (not great) pulpy mil-sci adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The_White_Crane posted:

Ah yes, "reapers". :turianass:
We have dismissed that claim.

Edit, content:
Has anyone else read the Star Risk series by Chris Bunch?
I thought they were pretty good (not great) pulpy mil-sci adventures.

My god, you came so close to pulp shovelware Mil-SciFi nirvana. Chris Bunch co-wrote the Sten Chronicles...uh,...novels seems too classy a way to describe these stories..uh..rejected tv-movie series ideas so hackneyed even 80's + 90's era Fox TV Network wouldn't bite on?.... the Mil-SciFi series that Jim Baen of Baen Books always recalled as "the one (series) that got away".

Also have 2 alternative titles now for this thread just in case action is required.
Literary WarCrimes (pun intended):The Mil-SciFi + Mil-Fiction Thread.
Bolo Shovelware Already Hacked UR Comms....The Mil-SciFi + Mil-Fiction Thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kchama posted:

That actually sounds like a pretty cool idea to run with.

Bear in mind this is adaptation taking place on a generational level. Several hundred or maybe thousands of generations is really a blip in the lifespan of species evolution. Stories like The Expanse or most MilSF that connects to us with a set date is still probably too close to reality chronologically to see major physical adaptation to new planets. That's where genetic engineering comes in.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bear in mind this is adaptation taking place on a generational level. Several hundred or maybe thousands of generations is really a blip in the lifespan of species evolution. Stories like The Expanse or most MilSF that connects to us with a set date is still probably too close to reality chronologically to see major physical adaptation to new planets. That's where genetic engineering comes in.

I like in hh where they're like always kind of pretending they didn't genetically engineer everyone bc genetic supersoldiers made the idea distasteful

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Not to jump on the HH hatwagon, but don't most of the genetically superior people kinda suck? Except for Honor of course.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

its revealed eventually that they did genetic engineering almost anyone who settled on a planet more than like...1% different from earth, so no

the graysons are an exception, which is one reason why they are all short and ugly

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
For all that Weber's a hack (and Honor Harrington purportedly a Mary Sue :rolleyes:), at least he's not Jean Johnson, who wrote a whole series where the MC is explicitly a Mary Sue.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aerdan posted:

For all that Weber's a hack (and Honor Harrington purportedly a Mary Sue :rolleyes:), at least he's not Jean Johnson, who wrote a whole series where the MC is explicitly a Mary Sue.

Hey! Jean Johnson didn't just make her a Mary Sue, she went all out and was obviously having so much fun with it that I can't hate her for it. Mary Su Ia surfboarded a flood wave, killed more aliens than you ever will, and beat up the resident squid overpowered aliens just because she caaaaan.

It's fabulously terrible. Far better an author who goes full silly/dramatic than one who does it unintentionally.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

yeah i can respect an author openly going "my protagonist is the best, smartest and hottest person, they can fight better than anybody, also they play all four instruments in a classical string quartet, speak 19 languages, and can wiggle their ears, also they're the long-lost heir to the alien throne of Monarchia, also they can tie a cherry stem into a gaucho knot with their tongue"

what's worse is when an author does essentially that, but throws in a bunch of mealy-mouthed substanceless qualifiers so they can pretend there's depth where there ain't

ex:
the protagonist is mega attractive, but unconventionally attractive
the protagonist is incredibly good at everything but doesn't realize it
etc

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

yeah i can respect an author openly going "my protagonist is the best, smartest and hottest person, they can fight better than anybody, also they play all four instruments in a classical string quartet, speak 19 languages, and can wiggle their ears, etcetera
etcetera..."

Encountering that kind of main character is how I know it's safe to abandon a book or book series.

I've slagged Kage Baker previously in the main SF + Fantasy thread, but Kage Baker's The Company series gradually built up to that level. I mean when the main character of the series literally gives birth to the catholic holy trinity, uh how the gently caress do you top that?

The Company series has a interesting plot hook: using history books + time-travel loot the past hours before natural disasters/wars/pivotal events wipe out areas, stash the loot for 5+ centuries, then sell for 300x (at a minimum) profit ....but the books devolved fast into a Anne Ricean obsession with a) the main character (that looks just like the author at 22), b) the central California region where the author grew up/lived, c) secret timewars involving Cro-Magnon cyborg-enforcers, and d) William Randolph Hearst who has a whole secondary mary sue/gary stu thing going on.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

its revealed eventually that they did genetic engineering almost anyone who settled on a planet more than like...1% different from earth, so no

the graysons are an exception, which is one reason why they are all short and ugly

Actually Graysons did genetically engineer themselves into being death world tolerant, after they landed.

And after they had gotten rid of all of their biogenetic engineers and all equipment and expertise.

It's just that easy it relearn and rebuild everything on a death world!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ah deathworlds.
I retain a fond spot in my mind for Deathworld @1960 by Harry Harrison.
It's got heavy-worlder miners fighting a unwinnable war on a 3g planet. It's got psychic powers. It's got hyper-evolution hyper-evolution seems inadequate, more like ultra-extreme-hyperAustralia levels of evolution where every animal and every plant is super-deadly, and new deadlier forms of the heavy-world animal life/plantlife appearing every 2 or 3 days. Toss in a society where every soft-science subject has been forgotten/abandoned to focus on weapons, survival training and mining in that order of importance.....and the genetically altered heavy-worlders still only have a average lifespan of 34 years. The lucky proto-Stainless Steel Rat series main character gets drafted/abducted into helping, and magic happens.

In the hands of a lesser author, or an author focused on their specific passion-subjects, Deathworld would be loving terrible.....but it isn't, and is still vaguely entertaining for a modern reader, especially since it doesn't go the way you'd expect a book called Deathworld to go. That is why I said "magic happens".

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 17, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You mean the Deathworld trilogy!

But yeah Harry Harrison is a Good Bad Author; he knew he wrote pulp and he revelled in it. Almost camp in a way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You mean the Deathworld trilogy!

But yeah Harry Harrison is a Good Bad Author; he knew he wrote pulp and he revelled in it. Almost camp in a way.

Yeah, do not skip the second two. The middle book in fact is one of my favorite sf stories. The protagonists finds himself in a completely hosed situation and has to improvise or just plain tough his way out of all kinds of poo poo.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Shades of Simon R Green, who wrote one or two entertaining pulp books and then realised he never needed to write a new story again if he could just rewrite them periodically.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Wanted to ease people into the Deathworld Trilogy, Hieronymous Alloy + mllaneza.
....plus Deathworld 3 repeated a lot of things from Deathworld 1 + 2.

Harry Harrison was a unique genre defying author, and one of my favorite authors ever.
Definitely check out the 2014 post-humous biography about/by him...posted a review of it in the 'What did you just finish' thread.

Granted, Harrison's writing style isn't for everyone, and Harrison did write some goddamn terrible books, mainly his Eden series which I will NEVER recommend to anyone.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 17, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

And the Stars and Stripes Trilogy, which remain the worst Alt-Hist I've ever read*, which is weird because the Hammer and the Cross, also an Alt-Hist trilogy which he published immediately before wasn't bad.

*And I've read some Turtledove books written in the last decade.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, do not skip the second two. The middle book in fact is one of my favorite sf stories. The protagonists finds himself in a completely hosed situation and has to improvise or just plain tough his way out of all kinds of poo poo.

WHEELWORLD! Ol' Jan does well in that one. I always loved the first two, the conclusion Starworld never grabbed me in the same way.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Wanted to ease people into the Deathworld Trilogy, Hieronymous Alloy + mllaneza.
....plus Deathworld 3 repeated a lot of things from Deathworld 1 + 2.

Harry Harrison was a unique genre defying author, and one of my favorite authors ever.
Definitely check out the 2014 post-humous biography about/by him...posted a review of it in the 'What did you just finish' thread.

Granted, Harrison's writing style isn't for everyone, and Harrison did write some goddamn terrible books, mainly his Eden series which I will NEVER recommend to anyone.

I have a huge soft spot for the hammer & the cross series of alt history vikings. A young slave in the 9th century in the UK, with the help of his brain and a mysterious god, rises to become king. defeating the ragnarssons.

the second book is him in Scandinavian and the third they go to the Mediterranean.

he invents steel, crossbows, siege weapons etc. it's fun and a little silly. I reread it every couple of years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone ever done an epistolary MilSF novel. It's be like Ken Burns civil war documentary with space marines.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone ever done an epistolary MilSF novel. It's be like Ken Burns civil war documentary with space marines.

How do you define "epistolary", friend?
Kicking out modern timeframes, War with the Newts vaguely fits that bill (even has WAR in the title).
Could have sworn one of Scalzi's Old man war sequels had a memiors/letters framing device, as well as one of Orson Card's earlier Ender books (emails setting off a global revolution, I think).
An old old favorite story written in the form of a memoir that features warfare with alien races, dimensional travel and various space battles ranging from the Earth's moon to interstellar war; yet defies genre placement because of its age/subject matter. I have been describing A True Story by Lucian in case anyone is interested.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A True Story is loving great. Lucian is such a troll it's hilarious.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fitzpatrick's War by Theodore Judson does the historical/personal diary of a Great Man/Future Alexander and the Wars he creates to some degree. It has the conceit that the work is banned and an angry historian refutes things in footnotes throughout the book.

I thought it was an ok book, and the warcrimes do count into the millions including turning a good portion of a continent into infertile wastes while a group of religious fundamentalists ban any form of electricity from kill satellites in orbit. Sadly, it looks like the author never caught on and there isn't a legal ebook of it available.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitzpatricks-War-Theodore-Judson/dp/0756401968/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fitzpatricks+war&qid=1563477195&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You know our dear OP brought up Honor's warcrimes, but I forget if anyone mentioned her favorite one: Threatening to murder POWs. Not just the war crimes guy in book 2, but eventually her standard MO is when she captures an enemy she orders them to not do any standard 'surrendering' procedures like deleting any sensitive information in their ship computers, on pain of death...

Which you know, is a war crime and the one time an opposing group does it to Manticore they all flip out about what an outrageous evil act it is, but Honor does it all the time, even to the one Havenite dude who she should have any respect for, and everyone nods sagely about how wise and smart she is to do that.

Also I finally got around to reading about the final book in depth and wow, not only was the Eridani Edict retconned to include things that previously it explicitly didn't cover, but said things were actually done by Mesa and the Solarians just got all the blame. So they didn't even war crime.

And really, Manticore should know this is Mesa's MO since they've said many times they know this is all a ruse to get them to bust up the Solarian League for Mesa's gain but Manticore and Honor smirkingly and happily go along with it for... some reason.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Ninurta posted:

Fitzpatrick's War by Theodore Judson does the historical/personal diary of a Great Man/Future Alexander and the Wars he creates to some degree. It has the conceit that the work is banned and an angry historian refutes things in footnotes throughout the book.

I thought it was an ok book, and the warcrimes do count into the millions including turning a good portion of a continent into infertile wastes while a group of religious fundamentalists ban any form of electricity from kill satellites in orbit. Sadly, it looks like the author never caught on and there isn't a legal ebook of it available.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitzpatricks-War-Theodore-Judson/dp/0756401968/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fitzpatricks+war&qid=1563477195&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Endorse, I recall this being quite good.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Ninurta posted:

You might be underselling it a little, the Great Man basically considers himself Alexander reincarnate and deliberately surrounds himself with a group that call themselves his basilei.

Judson did publish one other book: The Martian General's Daughter, which is a futuristic version of the end of the Roman Empire as it collapses from plague, complete with it's own version of Marcus Aurelius. It's okay, I don't remember much about it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The problem with all this poo poo is that you could just write about the Roman Empire. You don't actually get anything out of giving the legionaires rail cannon.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fell Fire posted:

You might be underselling it a little, the Great Man basically considers himself Alexander reincarnate and deliberately surrounds himself with a group that call themselves his basilei.

Is this some kind of scifi thing? This is at least the second scifi series where someone has had the gimmick that they think they're the reincarnation of a historical general (and it's never anyone born after modern day).

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Kchama posted:

Is this some kind of scifi thing? This is at least the second scifi series where someone has had the gimmick that they think they're the reincarnation of a historical general (and it's never anyone born after modern day).

:shrug: As I remember it, it wasn't literal, more like how Washington gets compared to Cincinnatus. Patton believed he was Caesar, or someone like that.

I call being Eisenhower.

Oh, that reminds me of the weirdness where the Hornblower books actually exist in the Harrington universe. That's just so the readers can feel smarter when they recognize parallels.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fell Fire posted:

:shrug: As I remember it, it wasn't literal, more like how Washington gets compared to Cincinnatus. Patton believed he was Caesar, or someone like that.

We really lucked out when Patton's jeep got hit by a truck. He probably would have started WWIII

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fell Fire posted:

I call being Eisenhower.

Oh, that reminds me of the weirdness where the Hornblower books actually exist in the Harrington universe. That's just so the readers can feel smarter when they recognize parallels.

This is something Weber probably shouldn't have done because someone reading those books would immediately realize that On Basilisk Station is literally a direct rip-off with all the nuance and good stuff stripped out. This is why there are aliens awkwardly shoved in and never important again, and where the whole 'forced to attack a more powerful ship head on' part comes from.

Of course in Hornblower the entire story is born out of Britian's short-sided opportunism in trying to use South American natives against the Spanish to the point that Hornblower is forced to turn over a very powerful Spanish warship he had captured to the natives, only to find out not long after as he's going home that actually his country has allied with the Spanish and now he must go fight the powerful ship in direct combat to keep it from harming his new allies.

And then he gets nothing from the hell he is put through as the situation getting out would be an embarrassment.

I forget if it came up in this thread, to be honest, so sorry if it did.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Hornblower books are actually good fun mid-20th-century YA fiction though, although for serious very high quality writing go read Aubrey/Maturin. For something in the middle - sort of Sharpe-level - try Alexander Kent’s Bolitho series.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Fell Fire posted:

Judson did publish one other book: The Martian General's Daughter, which is a futuristic version of the end of the Roman Empire as it collapses from plague, complete with it's own version of Marcus Aurelius. It's okay, I don't remember much about it.

Fair enough, I was phone posting and did not have my copy of the book handy. I will say that this is a book that I've kept through 3 moves, one cross-state and I have re-read it a few times. However, the material can be off-putting to someone who isn't expecting the grotesque nature of the Yukon Confederacy and it's world. The author had mentioned that he would like to write a follow up prequel but that unfortunately doesn't look like it will ever happen. He did however write a Middle-Aged White Men raging against the world in 2016 which is...unfortunately a bit too on the nose these days https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29549598-deadly-waters.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

The Hornblower books are actually good fun mid-20th-century YA fiction though, although for serious very high quality writing go read Aubrey/Maturin. For something in the middle - sort of Sharpe-level - try Alexander Kent’s Bolitho series.

I'm actually saying the Hornblower books are good! It's just that... The Honor books completely failed to replicate any of their goodness.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We need a flashman thread obviously

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

shovelbum posted:

We need a flashman thread obviously

Flashman books are 30% decently researched-for-their-time character studies of historical figures/flashpoint events of the 19th/early 20th century, 30% Flashman being unwillingly self-inserted into those flashpoint events and giving his smug-entitled take on things, and 40% Flashman loving anything that's female (willing or unwilling) anytime/anywhere possible and then suffering the consequences of trying to gently caress anything that's female anytime/anywhere.

So, uh probably a perfect honey-pot thread for identifying sex creeps or sex creep defenders.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Call that honey-pot thread Literary SexCrimes: no one published is without blame.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 19, 2019

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Flashman books are 30% decently researched-for-their-time character studies of historical figures/flashpoint events of the 19th/early 20th century, 30% Flashman being unwillingly self-inserted into those flashpoint events and giving his smug-entitled take on things, and 40% Flashman loving anything that's female (willing or unwilling) anytime/anywhere possible and then suffering the consequences of trying to gently caress anything that's female anytime/anywhere.

So, uh probably a perfect honey-pot thread for identifying sex creeps or sex creep defenders.

The_White_Crane posted:

I gave the Flashman books a hard pass right after I came across the phrase "I had seldom found it necessary to rape a woman" in chapter 1 of book 1.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If you want Flashman but don't want the grossness that comes with it just try a few Ciaphas Cain books. They're not military fiction, but why the hell would you want to read that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

To be fair the grossness in Flashman improves slightly over the decades - bear in mind the first book was written in 1969 when that sort of thing was considered A-OK in a book, the act of a slightly questionable scoundrel rather than a complete monster (see also: the James Bond readalong thread). But yeah I can totally see why people would nope out after reading that.