Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You don't have to only like things that you think are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

habeasdorkus posted:

QC isn't the most groundbreaking or prettiest comic, but I enjoy it too. :colbert:

I don't really hate QC either, it's a brief and dumb brain cheeseburger in my day
That said, "I have a lifelong, often debilitating mental illness and intense phobia, nvm haha I spent 5 days shoveling poop" is noooot great

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Also the idea that she's somehow had a Real Authentic Experience that is so much more real than 'white girl tourism' by getting involved in some kinda habitat for humanity involvement there... that's the absolute platonic ideal of 'I went to Tibet and learned the Deep Secrets in about one week of deigning to do manual labor' and the fact that it's presented as the opposite is wild.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm betting my money on this 'revelation' holding out for about ten minutes before she falls back into old habits.

Because "magically solving your problems because of a Revelation" is not something that happens with mental illness, but "thinking you magically solved all your problems because of a Revelation" absolutely does.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm betting my money on this 'revelation' holding out for about ten minutes before she falls back into old habits.

Because "magically solving your problems because of a Revelation" is not something that happens with mental illness, but "thinking you magically solved all your problems because of a Revelation" absolutely does.

Yeah, I'm reserving judgment for a few more strips. I'll be disappointed if this ends up being so pat. I'd note, though, that exposure therapy is generally speaking the most successful way to get over phobias. But of course you obviously don't just have someone dive right into the shoveling poo poo part if they're a germophobe, and you'd also have a cognitive behavioral therapy element, and that goes double if they're also dealing with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sometimes I look at the latest Questionable Content page to hype myself up before my next cage fight

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I just want that experience from the perspective of the monks.

"Oh, yes, thank you, wifi, that's hard to get in this intentionally isolated place. You'd think we would have had it set up by someone already, right? you want to do more work? Oh, we were really struggling with chores before a single stick-thin person came along to help. It's not like doing it ourselves is the point or anything... Just move that pile of poo poo to the other pile of poo poo. The last white girl was half-way through before she had some 'life changing revelation' and now we have two small piles instead of one big one."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elfface posted:

"Oh, yes, thank you, wifi, that's hard to get in this intentionally isolated place. You'd think we would have had it set up by someone already, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGFxR90n9u8

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

somewhere far away unbeknownst to all Jeph's hand is already forming antipicatory stigmata

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 19, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unnecessary

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Elfface posted:

I just want that experience from the perspective of the monks.

"Oh, yes, thank you, wifi, that's hard to get in this intentionally isolated place. You'd think we would have had it set up by someone already, right? you want to do more work? Oh, we were really struggling with chores before a single stick-thin person came along to help. It's not like doing it ourselves is the point or anything... Just move that pile of poo poo to the other pile of poo poo. The last white girl was half-way through before she had some 'life changing revelation' and now we have two small piles instead of one big one."

Also, Hannelore is the child of some ridiculously rich and powerful people, so if she actually wanted to be useful everywhere she went, she could have done something that was both useful and harder for other people to implement like, I dunno, delivering vaccinations or something.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

And this just after 'incredibly rich AI which makes money like magic without capital donates it all because they got told to!'

It feels... off-kilter honestly, like JJ just recently realized that obscenely wealthy people are Not Good and should be taxed or expropriated down, but wasn't willing to actually have any real grappling with the concept beyond Roko getting upset that Rich Spooky AI has so much more power to do good than she does. Ignoring everything about how that power got put in place.

...actually it might literally be 'gotta run through my rich characters who are supposed to be likable and make it clear they're the good kind of wealthy!'

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The snouts and sidemouths are getting deeganesque.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ChubbyChecker posted:

The snouts and sidemouths are getting deeganesque.
Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. Especially when there's actually new Dominic Deegan comics being drawn and they look exactly as they did ten years ago.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. Especially when there's actually new Dominic Deegan comics being drawn and they look exactly as they did ten years ago.

I still can’t tell if that’s good that he can mimic his “art” from a decade ago or bad that he genuinely hasn’t improved in that time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I still can’t tell if that’s good that he can mimic his “art” from a decade ago or bad that he genuinely hasn’t improved in that time.

His art from Star Power was exactly the same and that was otherwise drawn in a semi-photorealistic cape comicy style so definitely the latter

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Search your feelings.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I've never seen him produce anything that wasn't in that style, even where it was wildly off (see Starpowered filler arc), and there is nothing about it that implies he has the technical skill to do differently.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If we're talking about comics that we read that are shameful for whatever reason I'm happy prequel is updating again

thankfully / unfortunately there was no pin this time around so my quillweave is still alone, but this flash game fuckin sucked rear end so i'm fine with it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I still can't tell if that's good that he can mimic his "art" from a decade ago or bad that he genuinely hasn't improved in that time.

He kinda seesaws imo. A lot of it is because it's a daily comic, I think, but he's also been doing that daily comic for like 12 years so it's been burned into him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, in Sleepless Domain, NO DON'T TURN AROUND

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PMush Perfect posted:

I am your Judas.

I like QC.

how could you betray me like this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

More importantly, can I also get 20 pieces of silver for saying I like a webcomic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It was 30. :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Uh, obviously I was offering a discount.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think that thread got closed when the indeterminate hiatus of comic-death descended on SFP.

Actually, that's an interesting question (to me): What are some comics that went onto indefinite hiatus and then actually came back and finished?

I mean...it's probably kind of gauche to lurk around threads and then jump on the opportunity to self-promote but sometimes you just can't help it, eh?

My wife's webcomic Undead Friend had to close up shop some years back due to an injury which has recently been successfully treated and is now rebooted and updating regularly for a year this coming Thursday. Unfortunately her main comic Emergency Exit is still in Limbo. As was my terrible comic (Beyond Reality) back when I had the time and energy to make terrible webcomics. I do sometimes fantasize about rebooting it myself but that would involve re-learning how to draw (and I was never great) and having any willpower left after being thoroughly juiced by my day job.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

oriongates posted:

I mean...it's probably kind of gauche to lurk around threads and then jump on the opportunity to self-promote but sometimes you just can't help it, eh?

My wife's webcomic Undead Friend had to close up shop some years back due to an injury which has recently been successfully treated and is now rebooted and updating regularly for a year this coming Thursday. Unfortunately her main comic Emergency Exit is still in Limbo. As was my terrible comic (Beyond Reality) back when I had the time and energy to make terrible webcomics. I do sometimes fantasize about rebooting it myself but that would involve re-learning how to draw (and I was never great) and having any willpower left after being thoroughly juiced by my day job.

oh shiiit Undead Friend is currently advertising on my webcomic

anybody doing comics, by the way, an advertising site recently sprang up to try and fill the void left by project wonderful, no idea if it's going to work out but I like the cut of its jib so far

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man. I hadn't realized Project Wonderful died. That's a bit sad but makes sense.

I think I lost my setting to whitelist PW a few years ago while changing computers, and never thought about it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 20, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PW is dead? Why?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think i read emergency exit years and years ago

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
project wonderful shut down like a year ago, which has been stressful as poo poo because webcomic money is one of the many plates I spin to stay self employed

quote:

Large sites like Facebook do all they can to keep readers on their network, rather than sending that traffic out to individual websites. As such, many readers – who used to visit dozens if not hundreds of websites a day – now visit only a few sites, and things like the indie “blogosphere” (remember that?) are disappearing. We’re hopeful that individual creators can adapt – either by embracing these walled gardens in a way that protects themselves, or by finding other ways to draw attention to their work – but as a network founded on supporting independent websites, our options were limited. Some advertising networks have held on by adopting more and more invasive user tracking, forcing their publishers to sign binding contracts, or by trying to train publishers (and readers!) to expect that “sometimes a bad ad will sneak through”, but that’s something we always refused to do. We believed – and still believe – that you deserve better. We believed – and still believe – in a world where an ad blocker wouldn’t be an obvious thing to install, because advertising would be good, interesting, and non-invasive.

Unfortunately, we’re no longer in a position to supply that better option to you.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

This dude is cute and I'd like to know where this is from, thank you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This dude is cute and I'd like to know where this is from, thank you.
He's a minor character in Never Satisfied, a comic about queer kids with magic and familiars competing for a prestigious government position! Also class warfare, poverty, and corruption both literal and political.

Edit:

Same comic!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 20, 2019

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I guess it's only tangentially related to webcomics at this point but this just happened.

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1152479734166708225

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
:toot:

He (and the rest of the team) deserves it.

I’ve been reading his stuff for pretty much half my life at this point.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 20, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Giant Days is excellent and I'm going to be sad to see it end. Susan Ptolemy better get ported back to the online Bobbinsverse, razor teeth and all.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh shiiit Undead Friend is currently advertising on my webcomic

anybody doing comics, by the way, an advertising site recently sprang up to try and fill the void left by project wonderful, no idea if it's going to work out but I like the cut of its jib so far

If nothing else it's been good for early adopters like us. A for less than a dollar you get almost exclusive ad-time due to low competition. So, that'll be nice while it lasts. And hopefully it manages to find a niche and stick around.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Trying to remember the name of a webcomic based on extremely vague recollection. I recall it was about a young woman who was kinda possessed/had a split personality/soul-linked to this weird ghost thing? Or maybe just a monster or a being from an alternate dimension. I also recall that most of the plot in the early chapters happened in her house. ring anyone's bell?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

A big flaming stink posted:

Trying to remember the name of a webcomic based on extremely vague recollection. I recall it was about a young woman who was kinda possessed/had a split personality/soul-linked to this weird ghost thing? Or maybe just a monster or a being from an alternate dimension. I also recall that most of the plot in the early chapters happened in her house. ring anyone's bell?

Ava's Demon (the start is in a school but otherwise)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
no it's not ava's demon, it took place on earth present day. i....think the protagonist was in college?