Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

D. Ebdrup posted:

I can see the future. A future in which a gently caress-up will happen because of the MITM on all HTTPS traffic in Kazakhstan.

quote:

Has the law changed to require such certificates to be installed, Eugene? I agree with the concept of disabling the CA certificates in Firefox after they've been installed, but Mozilla would have to be careful not to step on state toes and just get Firefox banned from the country.

:ohdear: stepping on the toes of a state that not only doesn't value privacy, but is actively attempting to circumvent it. We best pay attention to them rather then treat them as illegitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's probably commutative where if you depend on something with a high sev vuln you have one too

and because js has basically no standard library beyond import() if there's a flaw in "is-positive-integer" or "string-length" lmao every package is busted

yeah it's a sum of all the vulns in every package you depend on and every package they depend on and so on etc.

idk how that explains why there's barely any low or medium ones though, maybe they only introduced the low levels later and defaulted all preexisting ones to high :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

:ohdear: stepping on the toes of a state that not only doesn't value privacy, but is actively attempting to circumvent it. We best pay attention to them rather then treat them as illegitimate.

quote:

I think it will be better to be banned (btw, how they can ban application?), than breaking privacy of end users.

probably the same way they're forcing everyone to install a CA certificate

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
javascript was a mistake and node is very bad.

i do like the fact that it constantly owns idiots and fucks over people too dumb to realize that hey, maybe the fact that you don't know what your doing is a clear indicator that your project shouldnt be pushed out into the wild

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i do like the fact that it constantly owns idiots and fucks over people too dumb to realize that hey, maybe the fact that you don't know what your doing is a clear indicator that your project shouldnt be pushed out into the wild
the current edition of rpgmaker finally moved on from ruby... to javascript

I don't know how limited it is, but I bet it's Not Enough

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

all you have to do to wrest Linux away from Linus is git clone and then ignore him

And then you get to be responsible for it.

I really doubt that would go well.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rjmccall posted:

deep code review is a technical contribution, often a more important one than actually writing the code

signed, a senior engineer

he doesn’t do much of that either. it’s expected that by the time a patch makes it to Linus it’s already been reviewed. the work Linus does is valuable, but it’s coordinating and directing the work of others. he’s management

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i dunno, the rant (from 2017) that started this particular derail was based on a technical review. but i can totally believe that he mostly shows up for "architectural" decisions like high-level structure, inter-project dependencies/interactions, project philosophy, and so on; that's essentially all chris lattner has done for llvm for the last 5+ years

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ayin posted:

the current edition of rpgmaker finally moved on from ruby... to javascript

ow oof

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

ok after running an update and getting everything to the latest minor version... there's still ~100 "high" vulns, that can only be fixed by updating major versions. ok whatever, updated the major versions of everything to the latest and... there's still 2 high vulns that npm has no idea how to deal with and just says "requires manual intervention"

the manual intervention is to stop using npm and Javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Computers were a mistake

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

D. Ebdrup posted:

I can see the future. A future in which a gently caress-up will happen because of the MITM on all HTTPS traffic in Kazakhstan.

So I know everyone shits on geoIP as a security control, but anyone running an SSLVPN might consider blocking KZ connections. It's not likely to work and in the unlikely event that someone manages to hack their workstation to the point where they're accepting this MITM certificate, you probably don't want the connection anyway.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

... explain ....

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

... explain ....

Ok, so if you're sure all the ISP's in a country are required by law to MITM your SSL connections, aren't you better off just blocking inbound connections from all those ISP's then running the risk that someone has MITM'd your VPN? I mean, client-side validation should catch this and not allow the connection to work, but relying on clients to correctly validate certs, especially against a foreign country who may have CA's included in OS's...

Then again, how is this different from sitting in a starbucks while someone MITMs your traffic there? Something about a whole country doing this rather than some ad hoc makes it a worse threat, I guess?

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but even though it's Kazakhstan, it's still a full country doing some SSL fuckery that I just don't trust.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ewiley posted:

Ok, so if you're sure all the ISP's in a country are required by law to MITM your SSL connections, aren't you better off just blocking inbound connections from all those ISP's then running the risk that someone has MITM'd your VPN? I mean, client-side validation should catch this and not allow the connection to work, but relying on clients to correctly validate certs, especially against a foreign country who may have CA's included in OS's...

Then again, how is this different from sitting in a starbucks while someone MITMs your traffic there? Something about a whole country doing this rather than some ad hoc makes it a worse threat, I guess?

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but even though it's Kazakhstan, it's still a full country doing some SSL fuckery that I just don't trust.
The problem is that any CA anywhere can MITM anything, not just connections from that country, although if they're making users install a special certificate they presumably aren't actually abusing their power as a CA right now.

If they started using their trusted CA cert to give out intermediate certs to all the ISPs or something that would be a pretty bad security situation.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 19, 2019

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

ewiley posted:

I mean, client-side validation should catch this and not allow the connection to work, but relying on clients to correctly validate certs, especially against a foreign country who may have CA's included in OS's...

Presumably an "SSL VPN" is doing tls mutual auth, so the VPN server would also reject a client's cert if it were being mitm'd

Your proposal for blocking a country makes sense with https, where usually only the server presents a cert (and the client validates it), but not for vpns

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
To an extent you can still spot some mitm of TLS in the absence of mutual auth, as demonstrated by yospos's favourite mitm experts, cloudflare

https://new.blog.cloudflare.com/monsters-in-the-middleboxes/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lmao Roll20

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ABC: Always Bcrypt Credentials

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Always Base64encode Credentials

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ACAB: All Credentials Are Bcrypted

sick zip everywhere
Jul 21, 2010
always be crypt(1)ing ??

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do you have any idea how slow and memory intensive the bcrypt algorithm is?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

actually

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you thinking of scrypt, which was specifically designed to address those issues of FGPAs as a potential attack vector to bcrypt?
Also, speaking of Colin Percival, he'll be doing a bit of a retrospective on side-channel attacks, as he was one of the first ones to document and announce a security advisory to disable SMT all the way back in 2005. The talk will be at EuroBSDCon 2019 which this year is happening in Oslo, Norway.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

ACAB: All Credentials Are Bcrypted

FTP: gently caress Text, Plain

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Carbon dioxide posted:

meh it's 2019, it's fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

some serious whooshing in here

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
just use md5, the standard hash algorithm

you can salt it if you like but be careful, too much salt is bad for your blood pressure

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Subjunctive posted:

some serious whooshing in here

poe's law

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah I like to bcrypt my passwords

B
C
R
Ystore
Plaintext
T

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

🅱️crypt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

more like encraption am i right

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
all the standard "strong" encryption algorithms are backdoored by the nsa and the cia. that's why i've invented gooncrypt,

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

been doing network automation stuff recently with Ansible and i love it when i ask the network team for the credentials that they want me to deploy to IOS devices and they send me plain-text secrets :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Soricidus posted:

all the standard "strong" encryption algorithms are backdoored by the nsa and the cia. that's why i've invented gooncrypt,

I put all my passwords on the blockchain which make them completely secure because