Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doltos posted:

Yep also when I die I want to ask god how many times I got faked out by a blue player acting like they have a counterspell in their hands, I bet its more times than ive pooped

This is how control works. It just gets worse when you are super familiar with the deck; you get analysis paralysis when you see that untapped blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
After I went second 8 games in a row I started snap conceding every match to find out how many it would take until I get to go first.

Got to 18 games then won going first. Vindicated.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Got disconnected queueing up to traditional draft game, had to restart the game. I'm freaking out, thinking I got screwed over, and then when I get back I have a win. What happened there exactly, did it just randomly pick someone to give a game win to?

He beat me anyway, but I'm sure he wasn't too happy that second game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

troofs posted:

After I went second 8 games in a row I started snap conceding every match to find out how many it would take until I get to go first.

In the context of Magic, "Vindicated" means "destroyed", so this checks out

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Went 7-2 in limited, one of my losses was to a guy who curved T3 7/6 Dino into Dread Presence and i didn't have any removal in hand equipped to stop it. Not fun.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think simic flash is one of those decks that crushes people lower on the ladder because they don't know how to play against it.
Also if you drop a Nightpack Ambusher or Brineborn Cutthroat it's pretty much a case of whether the flash player has enough counters to stop all the removal before they beat their opponent to death with wolves.

It plays so badly from behind though, absolutely no ways to catch up or get a 2 for 1 outside of the Ambusher sticking around or a frilled mystic.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Holy poo poo I just beat a Risen Reef / Wildgrowth Walker deck with B/W Vampires. That game legit lasted like 45 minutes. He finally quit when I had 168 health, and he had something like 380. loving Blight Beetle was doing work.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

troofs posted:

This may seem crazy, but somehow I think TT company wotc, doesn't actually want their digital variants to succeed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

man cacaclade just steamrolls all of the greedy "ramp up to big dinos" decks in the giant monsters event, went 5-0 and never was concerned about losing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve literally never seen or heard this volume of people complaining about having to go second in my entire 20+ years of playing magic.

Y’all literally post like it’s impossible to win on the draw, but Magic wouldn’t be so popular or have the longevity if it was that easy.

Also it’s not like you’ll ever improve your on-the-draw game if you just snap concede every game you go second.

It’s just the most bonkers complaint.

I mean it, I had a mothership forums account, I had an MTGSalv account, I worked at and played at the biggest LGS in a giant US city... never really even heard people complain about going second to this degree before this thread (outside of Legacy/Vintage where it actually does matter, or maybe back immuring Lorwyn Standard, when Thoughtsieze was legal)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve literally never seen or heard this volume of people complaining about having to go second in my entire 20+ years of playing magic.

Y’all literally post like it’s impossible to win on the draw, but Magic wouldn’t be so popular or have the longevity if it was that easy.

Also it’s not like you’ll ever improve your on-the-draw game if you just snap concede every game you go second.

It’s just the most bonkers complaint.

I mean it, I had a mothership forums account, I had an MTGSalv account, I worked at and played at the biggest LGS in a giant US city... never really even heard people complain about going second to this degree before this thread (outside of Legacy/Vintage where it actually does matter, or maybe back immuring Lorwyn Standard, when Thoughtsieze was legal)

Its because Arena is literally the only place where people frequently play Bo1.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I've won my last 8 BO1 games going second so I must be a god of magic. Maybe.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's almost as if Bo1 is a lovely way to play magic compared to Bo3 for a multitude of reasons

(yes I know not everyone has time to play bo3 don't @ me)

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

evilweasel posted:

man cacaclade just steamrolls all of the greedy "ramp up to big dinos" decks in the giant monsters event, went 5-0 and never was concerned about losing

I just went 4-2 with cavalcade and the only reason I lost the last is because I never got a cavalcade in either game.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Syano posted:

I just went 4-2 with cavalcade and the only reason I lost the last is because I never got a cavalcade in either game.

1-2 and 0-2. Saw two cavs the whole time. infuriating

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The london mulligan is a thing people! Dig for those Cavalcades!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

1-2 and 0-2. Saw two cavs the whole time. infuriating

Just did a 3-2 run. Its a low risk proposition at only 250 gold but its still a risk because if you don't have cavalcade out by turn 3 you might as well concede

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

troofs posted:

ah yes, it must be something rigging the draw against you, as everyone knows its impossible to get a coin to land on tails 18 times in a row naturally due to the well-known fairness mechanics built into the universe

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Justin_Brett posted:

Got disconnected queueing up to traditional draft game, had to restart the game. I'm freaking out, thinking I got screwed over, and then when I get back I have a win. What happened there exactly, did it just randomly pick someone to give a game win to?

He beat me anyway, but I'm sure he wasn't too happy that second game.

some times when your opponent concedes you get disconnected

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Everyone running Cavalcade decks in the giant monster 250 gold event with a 500 gold payout to ‘get’ greedy dinosaur decks is, in fact, a huge rear end in a top hat.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, you should be running Sultai value creatures like Hostage Takers, Frilled Mystics and Chupacabras to "get" the greedy dino decks

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
helpful article

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/state-of-the-best-of-three-meta-m20

Hauki
May 11, 2010

every single person i play this morning seems to be roping from the mulligan on, ama

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

This is how control works. It just gets worse when you are super familiar with the deck; you get analysis paralysis when you see that untapped blue.

i just assume its a spell spike and flip the table if im right

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Time posted:

vampires is the best deck in standard. I can't promise it will be for very long, but right now it is. It has game against everything and has a proactive, powerful gameplan. sorin and the pump vampire are so strong, they just snowball. all the lifegain means other aggro decks can't race. its good folks.

You will probably lose to scapeshift decks but thats fine

It really is, and so utterly my bag, I'd be playing BW vampires in any format if it were an option even if it sucked. I'm becoming less concerned about losing value on Sorin's post rotation because him with a base of Dire Moon Vampire, Blood Thirsty Aerialist and Knight of the Ebon Order the possibility is there for it to remain viable (or to cease to be viable and return to it before rotation when new cards fill the gaps) I've also started brewing with new Sorin in Modern, because god dammit I want to play Blood Baron of Vizkopa in the format and he will let me! Wanted to make something since Cordial Vampire came out anyway.

Here's my list, it's derived from Smi77y's list which was posted here, I think my changes are all improvements. I think a lot of people, even people brewing vampires, are sleeping on how good Aerialist is, and for now I can do silly things with Sanctum Seeker, who is also a good candidate for lil' Sorin's -3.

Need to fiddle with the sideboard, I think access to Gideon and Vona would be good.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 20, 2019

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Everyone running Cavalcade decks in the giant monster 250 gold event with a 500 gold payout to ‘get’ greedy dinosaur decks is, in fact, a huge rear end in a top hat.

Or super smart. Ive made about 10k profit so far today. No, I won't in fact play magic like you want me to

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
"Way to go 0-and-2 in the event. Here's your reward."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

after a couple of disappointing M20 drafts I 5-x'd my last two. the secret is: play blue. blue is bonkers and good with everything, even white, which is otherwise a very underwhelming color. i went risen reef into cloudkin seer into cloudkin seer which was just backbreaking for poor oppo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will be so glad when Curious Obsession rotates out

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

It really is, and so utterly my bag, I'd be playing BW vampires in any format if it were an option even if it sucked. I'm becoming less concerned about losing value on Sorin's post rotation because him with a base of Dire Moon Vampire, Blood Thirsty Aerialist and Knight of the Ebon Order the possibility is there for it to remain viable (or to cease to be viable and return to it before rotation when new cards fill the gaps) I've also started brewing with new Sorin in Modern, because god dammit I want to play Blood Baron of Vizkopa in the format and he will let me! Wanted to make something since Cordial Vampire came out anyway.

Here's my list, it's derived from Smi77y's list which was posted here, I think my changes are all improvements. I think a lot of people, even people brewing vampires, are sleeping on how good Aerialist is, and for now I can do silly things with Sanctum Seeker, who is also a good candidate for lil' Sorin's -3.

Need to fiddle with the sideboard, I think access to Gideon and Vona would be good.

I thought the consensus on Sorin4 is that he's pretty bad?

I guess if you're running aerialist maybe less so?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Syano posted:

Or super smart. Ive made about 10k profit so far today. No, I won't in fact play magic like you want me to

Are you somehow calculating in the rares you got? Because otherwise, the maximum profit you can realize per run is 50 gold which (a) is pretty inefficient and (b) makes it hard to believe you've played the event 200 times so far today.

That said, like all/most of the special events, this is a fun twist for knocking out my first 4+ daily wins. And yes, I am crushing with Cavalcade.

e: Completely unrelated, but I wish they'd just make all the daily quests worth 625 gold (or whatever the weighted average of the current possibilities would be). Having a choice between gaming the system or losing noticeable amounts of value is... not great.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 20, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just went 7-1 with a draft deck that had Gargos, Voracious Hydra, Ajani, Wakeroot Elemental, Nightpack Ambusher and Loxodon Lifechanter in it.

Plus I also drafted 3 mana Chandra but didn't play her

Sometimes the bots are just in a good mood I guess!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Are you somehow calculating in the rares you got? Because otherwise, the maximum profit you can realize per run is 50 gold which (a) is pretty inefficient and (b) makes it hard to believe you've played the event 200 times so far today.

That said, like all/most of the special events, this is a fun twist for knocking out my first 4+ daily wins. And yes, I am crushing with Cavalcade.

e: Completely unrelated, but I wish they'd just make all the daily quests worth 625 gold (or whatever the weighted average of the current possibilities would be). Having a choice between gaming the system or losing noticeable amounts of value is... not great.

oh no you figured out my lie.

I've probably hit about 10 x 5 win runs so far and several 3 and 4 win runs. Its super efficient. I can complete a full run through in like 30 mins or less and then the most efficient part is beating down people before they get to diddle their huge creatures which is the most satisfying part of magic

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Post yer list

Also playable rares are 1k gold value, that's most of what gold goes into anyway

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I'm pretty much running this one

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2100291#paper

You really gotta mulligan though. If I dont have a cavalcade or light up the stage in my opening hand I ditch that fool

Also think people are getting wise... this morning I could win a game in like 60 seconds... this afternoon I've had to start eating deafening clarions a lot more often than I was this am

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

What rank are you playing this at

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A psychic corrosion deck that cheats dragon wizard into play might be interesting.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Really sick of Cry of the Carnarium. Any deck that uses it doesn't care about the downside.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

zoux posted:

What rank are you playing this at

Mid platinum just now, definitely not leveled out yet. Gold was a breeze. I'm pretty confident I'll hit diamond before the season ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

getting roped for winning as esper report: gettin' roped