Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Phy posted:

More like Fleta McStern

Fleta McBurn. It was right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I Fleta McSpurn you all :colbert:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
No I don't I love u!!!!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No I don't I love u!!!!

Fleeting Mcturned

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I was going to post something mean, but Fleta returned

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

oldpainless: conquering the gurn

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't worry, you'll have yours someday soon too.

sorry your gangly writer crush had one good idea in the 80s and has been coasting on it ever since.

edit- oh, i just realized gaiman is basically F. Scott Fitzgerald in that he's the more famous of the couple despite being way less talented than his wife.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry your gangly writer crush had one good idea in the 80s and has been coasting on it ever since.

edit- oh, i just realized gaiman is basically F. Scott Fitzgerald in that he's the more famous of the couple despite being way less talented than his wife.

No I’m okay with saying Neil Gaiman is more talented than Amanda loving Palmer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

No way. I bet you I could ask 100 teenagers what they enjoyed more, F. Scott Fitzgerald or Zelda and all 100 of them would say Zelda. :colbert:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

oldpainless posted:

Gaiman is like Barker in that the books as a concept/idea sound cool but actually reading them is just a slog.

I hope my opinion doesn’t upset anyone. Please be polite in responding to this post.
I enjoy his short story set in The Matrix.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Arivia posted:

No I’m okay with saying Neil Gaiman is more talented than Amanda loving Palmer

He's not though. In creative range she blows him out of the water. He is a wheelbound genre writer with literary pretentions. he had a few good turns of phrase but when people think of Gaiman they think of either the art in Sandman or Pratchett's jokes in Good Omens.

edit: name a book of his which doesn't hit every square on this board

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Musicians aren’t creative they just make noise. Anyone can do that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

neil gaiman is good, i loved his animal man series

:v:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Doc Hawkins posted:

neil gaiman is good, i loved his animal man series

:v:

Neil Gaimans run on miracle man is great.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lol

Wait is this meant to be a serious post because if so I'm not gonna stop laughing for a while

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i understand people's criticisms of gaiman, but when you get right down to it, The Office changed television

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Gaiman is as good a comic book writer can be without resorting to magic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Neil Gaiman is inferior in every way to Terry Pratchett and Good Omens was forgettable, at best.

EDIT: And Sandman was mostly pretentious fairy tale fanfiction with one of the most cringeworthy Death characterizations I've ever seen.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Jul 21, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

doverhog posted:

Gaiman is as good a comic book writer can be without resorting to magic.

lol

I like bendis more. you read goldfish? it's good.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

And Sandman was mostly pretentious fairy tale fanfiction with one of the most cringeworthy Death characterizations I've ever seen.

Did you even read it, because c'mon. Even if you think his goth Death is cringeworthy, there is a lot of other stuff in there. It was of it's time, but that does not make it bad.

Goldfish I have not read.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

doverhog posted:

Did you even read it, because c'mon. Even if you think his goth Death is cringeworthy, there is a lot of other stuff in there. It was of it's time, but that does not make it bad.

Yeah, and the only thing that stuck with me was the story where the boy was left almost totally alone in a boarding school filled with the living dead. It was actually creepy, whereas the rest of it -- like the one with the old supervillain Dr. Destiny using the Sandman's gem to make people go mad -- just didn't pique my interest.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
more like neil gay man

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

nankeen posted:

more like neil gay man

cumshitter posted:

Thank you for sharing my website, I've noticed the analytics going up as well as an uptick in visits to the middle stall of the gay bar men's restroom in which I make my office. This was me just a few moments ago:

Me, speaking through the "business hole:" I see you've made the smart move in purchasing California municipal bonds, getting yourself a tax break at both the Federal and State level. Now, I know the bonds I would put you in have lower yield to maturities, but that's because we only invest in BBB/BAA or what are referred to as investment grade bonds. For example, this San Luis Obispo Petting Zoo Revenue bond is-

*A big, hard, veiny cock slowly pokes out of the other business hole*

Pardon me, I have to take a call. I've been trying to reach another client all day regarding an important matter. Don't look through the "business hole," this should only take a few minutes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

nankeen posted:

more like neil gay man

I wouldn't mind meeting him on my falafel. :getin:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Like, you didn't find the story about Desire tempting the Emperor of the US interesting? :confused:

*please don't answer that wrong thread, I need to start getting into arguments in the right threads*

doverhog has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Jul 21, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i have liked gaimans work, and i liked your joke about magic

I thought of the non-magical good british comic man: warren ellis! he wrote a fun Castlevania show which ran for both of the netflix-mandated two seasons

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i really liked transmetropolitan but on the understanding that it is extremely 90s

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Anyone who willingly lived through the 90s, present party included, forever has the taint of that godforsaken decade on them and should not be throwing rocks at other media from that period. It was basically the awkward teenage years of the information age, and all we can do is move past it and try to heal.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

Is the collective noun for italians a restaurant

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Freestyler was a great video clip and I'm not ashamed of that opinion.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Screaming Idiot posted:

Neil Gaiman is inferior in every way to Terry Pratchett and Good Omens was forgettable, at best.

EDIT: And Sandman was mostly pretentious fairy tale fanfiction with one of the most cringeworthy Death characterizations I've ever seen.
Never read Sandman, but his Death was based on a real person I knew. She died of cancer last year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(DC_Comics)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Never read Sandman, but his Death was based on a real person I knew. She died of cancer last year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(DC_Comics)

Strange aeons we live in.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Pirate Radar posted:

Strange aeons we live in.

Nice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh, no! :smith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

think of it as getting in character

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

Describing things as cringeworthy in current year is ironically enough the most cringe thing you can possibly do online.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Amanda Palmer is nuts but a really impressive musician and performer. She's got way stronger creative chops than Gaiman, but I don't like most of her work.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Did Amanda Palmer try to get backing musicians in different tour cities to play for free, or am I thinking of someone else?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bobby Digital posted:

Did Amanda Palmer try to get backing musicians in different tour cities to play for free, or am I thinking of someone else?

No, yeah, that was her. And she acted like they should be grateful for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Neil can tell a good story or two but that's the problem, he only tells the same stories over and over again. Someone gets sucked into magical world of whimsy, they find their place/powers there, emerge grown as a person. Neverwhere, stardust, American gods, anansi boys, half the pov characters in sandman, etc.