Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Sometimes it works in favor of the character though. I feel Captain America definitely benefited from the grounding. His worst MCU suit was the one that was least grounded and the most vibrant. Likewise, I though the recent Flash TV suit was waaaay worse than the previous versions, which were less vibrant. It's really easy for costumes to look really cheap or tacky if they are too brightly colored, because they start looking like cheap Halloween costumes that people are already familiar with.

My biggest pet peeve is more the constant removal of masks. I know why they do it, but I think its stupid, and most of the superstitions about it have been proven wrong anyway (see: Deadpool, or like, Darth Vader's popularity in general.)

But yeah, carrying over that kind of "grounded" approach to cartoons, or even comics, tbh, hardly works as well for me. I'd probably work alright for CG stuff, if they were leaning toward a more realistic look (in terms of the designs of the actual people in general). I really liked a lot of the designs in the Arkham series of games, especially later on. I really liked the batsuit in Arkham Origins and Knight. I also liked Anarchy's design in Origins. As well as Deathstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Remember that Young Justice treated the villian Sportmaster seriously.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It just feels like one of those things where they try to boil out the inherent sillyness of superheroes, which never works because the core concept of people in wacky costumes solving problems by punching really hard is itself ridiculous. You will always be asking the audience for some suspension of disbelief, and that's fine. Trying hard to seem mature is itself a very immature thing to do..

That’s true, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with superhero adaptions taking a more serious tone, but it’s when it’s at the expense of fun that you get poo poo like Jessica Jones S2. For me Young Justice kinda awkwardly toes the line between wanting to “uplift the genre” and wanting to have fun with the source material that making a call one way or the other is difficult.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Remember that Young Justice treated the villian Sportmaster seriously.

This is the strongest case for them thinking they’re uplifting the genre.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And a few decades ago, people would have said the same thing about trying to take that goofy Adam West character in the bat costume seriously. Why is Sportsmaster any different than any of the other supervillains populating his universe? The man took his orders from a supervillain named Vandal Savage - he might as well call himself Nasty Badman.

This is still a show with colorful costumes and people with silly names. The DCAU pulled its punches on a lot of things in the name of adaptation or "realism" too; compare the more "grounded" earlier seasons of BTAS, and heck, even STAS, to some of the poo poo that goes down later on.

Putting some real world sensibilities into the League's politics isn't forcing the material to take itself seriously, it's worldbuilding. The new "Bumblebee" movie has been met with tons of acclaim for being true to its source material, and even that doesn't have the alien robot's real name be derived from an insect on a planet millions of miles away from where he was born.

I mean, hell, the newest season has Geo Force giving himself a goofy rear end codename at first, and they openly use the name "Outsiders". There's a line between stuff like the X-Men films and Batman Brave and the Bold-type shenanigans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm still impressed the DCAU managed to make the Wonder Twins into a credible threat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's a little harsh to conflate Hugh Jackman scoffing his way through "What do they call you? Wheels?" with the Young Justice cartoon not using the occasional name reference.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm still impressed the DCAU managed to make the Wonder Twins into a credible threat.

When did they do that?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They didn't. Two characters based on them briefly fought Aquaman before he no-sold their powers with the justification of "king of the ocean, remember?"

Then clones of them got used as cannon fodder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nodosaur posted:

They didn't. Two characters based on them briefly fought Aquaman before he no-sold their powers with the justification of "king of the ocean, remember?"

Then clones of them got used as cannon fodder.

Along with the racist native american super friend who went enuk chuk to become giant who was renamed into Long Shadow and Black Vulcan l

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Black Vulcan expy was named “Juice”.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MonsterEnvy posted:

They kind of seem the opposite of ashamed. They are bringing in every DC reference they can find no matter how obscure. Like the Streamer girl Garfield helped as an gorilla was this person. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_and_the_Ape

Holy poo poo, that's a deep cut.

(Still waiting on DC to release a modern Angel and the Ape comic...)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

My biggest pet peeve is more the constant removal of masks. I know why they do it, but I think its stupid, and most of the superstitions about it have been proven wrong anyway (see: Deadpool, or like, Darth Vader's popularity in general.)
I thought this was more because actors have stipulated face time in their contracts where their face has to be visible for a certain amount of time in order to get a certain billing (which affects pay rates) or something like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vandar posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a deep cut.

(Still waiting on DC to release a modern Angel and the Ape comic...)

They also had a Deep Cut last episode with the Genderbent Newsboy Legion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsboy_Legion

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oracle posted:

I thought this was more because actors have stipulated face time in their contracts where their face has to be visible for a certain amount of time in order to get a certain billing (which affects pay rates) or something like that.

While I have heard that too, the fact of the matter is with regards to that sort of thing, that is something that can be decided when contracts are drawn up. It's not set in stone. Big actors have done movies where you don't see their face, such as every animated film with A list actors filling the voice roles, so there is nothing about face time that has anything to do with billing. And animated films further disprove the idea that you need to see their faces to draw audiences, because if that were true, then no studio would ever bother wasting money on expensive actors for cartoon movies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MonsterEnvy posted:

They also had a Deep Cut last episode with the Genderbent Newsboy Legion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsboy_Legion

Did they refer to them as Paper Girls?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did they refer to them as Paper Girls?

Newsgirl Legion. They and the supporting characters were also based on Scooby Doo Mystery Inc for the episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Those aren't really great examples. Deathpool's not really a great example because they used CGI to make it so that he can emote with the mask like in the comics, an effect that has come with improved technology. Darth Vader works because of the character having one mode of menace although Jones's vocal performance does a good job pushing his inner conflict in RotJ.

I think this section of Raimi's Spider-Man works because the tone of the film is pretty campy, but there is a Live Stunt show vibe to it. Also, it really does bother me that JJ gets humiliated by Spidey after being incredibly brave and selfless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Those aren't really great examples. Deathpool's not really a great example because they used CGI to make it so that he can emote with the mask like in the comics, an effect that has come with improved technology. Darth Vader works because of the character having one mode of menace although Jones's vocal performance does a good job pushing his inner conflict in RotJ.

I think this section of Raimi's Spider-Man works because the tone of the film is pretty campy, but there is a Live Stunt show vibe to it. Also, it really does bother me that JJ gets humiliated by Spidey after being incredibly brave and selfless.

Even a show as cheap with animation as 60s Spider-Man knew the mouth on his mask should move when he's talking. It's a shame that there is no movement to either Spider-Man's or Goblin's faces when they talk except for seeing a bit of the mouth through the grate over Goblin's mouth (but only in a real close-up like that). Watch the clip on mute and there's no way of telling whether Spider-Man is actually awake or saying anything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I always liked Goblin's very awkward pose as he gasses Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheHan posted:

I always liked Goblin's very awkward pose as he gasses Spider-Man.

Or how long it takes. Even ignoring Spider-Sense he still accepts the gas like it's some cool mist on a hot day.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
https://twitter.com/askaqueerchick/status/1151858638048432128?s=21

An answer to an age old question.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So in the new Hush adaption Hush is actually the Riddler, not Tommy Elliot. Also Tommy dies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So in the new Hush adaption Hush is actually the Riddler, not Tommy Elliot. Also Tommy dies.

Probably a better story than the original. As part of the twist was that Riddler was partially behind the plot, and Tommy did not add that much.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What was people's overall opinion on the look and feel of the animation in Batman Ninja? I never watched the whole thing, so I don't know how the animation would feel to watch for the duration, but I think, personally, that I would probably watch that CG style over the super bland style DC uses for most of their stuff in the past 10 years. I would think CG would be cheaper than hand drawn at this point? I mean to a degree at least. It isn't like I am expecting Spiderverse quality for home video releases. But there certainly has to be money saved in cost cutting CG animation vs cost cut hand animation? Wouldn't the amount of people needing to be paid be way less? Once the models are done, they are done, and you don't need to basically pay per frame of both key frame and everything in between... Rendering costs, sure, but again, the less detail, the cheaper that becomes. And if you are going cell for a more cell shaded, or smoother look, that becomes ludicrously easy. For crying out loud, the in game cutscenes in Dragonball FighterZ look better than anything DC has put out in a decade, and those are rendered in real time on a PS4.

Basically what I am thinking is that if a video game that runs fine on a console can nearly perfectly mimic the style of a cartoon series for its character designs, while also having completely passable animation for its cutscenes, then surely that kind of tech can be used to make cheap DTV movies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

Once the models are done, they are done, and you don't need to basically pay per frame of both key frame and everything in between... Rendering costs, sure, but again, the less detail, the cheaper that becomes. And if you are going cell for a more cell shaded, or smoother look, that becomes ludicrously easy. ...

Basically what I am thinking is that if a video game that runs fine on a console can nearly perfectly mimic the style of a cartoon series for its character designs, while also having completely passable animation for its cutscenes, then surely that kind of tech can be used to make cheap DTV movies.
IIRC the ArcSys animators had to hand-tweak the look (lighting, etc) of the cutscenes, character models and dramatic animations to make sure the look was consistent. It's not as easy as "model, skin + thick outlines"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So if Marvel went to the trouble of announcing What If alongside all their other big upcoming movie releases and MCU-cast-helmed direct to streaming series, it's going to actually be good, right? Really good and not the kinda slapdash at best "wtf is this" at worst kinda poo poo that's been produced since the Disney buyout right?

RIGHT?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

So if Marvel went to the trouble of announcing What If alongside all their other big upcoming movie releases and MCU-cast-helmed direct to streaming series, it's going to actually be good, right? Really good and not the kinda slapdash at best "wtf is this" at worst kinda poo poo that's been produced since the Disney buyout right?

RIGHT?

it's being overseen by Marvel Studios and not Marvel TV, so draw your own conclusions.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBvIyGqQYI

Harley Quinn teaser

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I... like this? What madness is this?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Nice to see that grown up Daria reboot is coming along nicely.

Also Marvel's What If better have Aunt May Herald of Galactus.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anora posted:

Nice to see that grown up Daria reboot is coming along nicely.

Also Marvel's What If better have Aunt May Herald of Galactus.

featuring Marisa Tomei, of course

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kite Man! Hell yeah

Also they've announced Young Justice was renewed for another season.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's just the teaser from last year

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

site posted:

That's just the teaser from last year

Here's the new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knb3QjQWQaQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe it just looked that way due to the trailer, but that has disturbingly fluid animation for a lovely dc property sitcom

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like Harley Quinn a whole bunch.

That trailer is not something I think I like.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Cool news about Young Justice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I didn't like that one, all's right with the world.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vandar posted:

I like Harley Quinn a whole bunch.

That trailer is not something I think I like.

Same, but the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Audrey II, how you doing?