Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So yeah, episode 3 of Ultraman Titus Taiga..

Weird intro, even weirder when you consider that something like this happened IRL.

Back in 1997 the Russian supply vehicle Progress collided with the Mir space station!

The station didn't blow up, but boy howdy did it make a mess, in that a whole section of Mir was rendered uninhabitable by the crash.

Backstory with the astronaut and his co-worker was touching, although I'm getting tired of the trope that people explode into a shower of glowing particles when they go.

Also didn't expect to see a frozen dead astronaut's face, even if it was briefly.

Titus obviously spends all that time posing in order to build up the strength to throw his punches. :v:

He doesn't like wasting time raining down a shower of little punches, that's more Fuma's style.

I've decided that getting 24-26 episodes instead of 52 like Cosmos is better so they can give us better stories.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I figured the glitter-death is just because they were spirits. Kind of a more pleasant version of the old Japanese spirit fire from folktales.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

When has an Ultraman episode ever ended with two Ultramen staring in wonder at the contents of a garbage can?

So far this series rocks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also I’m assuming it’s very on character for Titus to punch the poo poo out of that satellite that was out of orbit (but hadn’t even hit atmosphere yet) instead of just placing it back into place.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Shin Godzilla is fantastic

eh it's not my thing but it's fine. the three animated movies tho i hate them with a burning passion

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

More Episode 3 thoughts:

Titus's Wrecking Burst has to be at least as powerful as Ultraman Zero Beyond's Bulky Chorus if it could take out Galactron so quickly.

Then again, so did Geed's Diffusion Shower..

The "Happy Birthday" rocket seems to be a veiled jab at the Tesla Roadster that Elon Musk launched into solar orbit, as it was also launched by a fictional tech maven, the president of "Cosmo Technica."

The satellite that Titus takes out resembles the Hubble Space Telescope.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also I’m assuming it’s very on character for Titus to punch the poo poo out of that satellite that was out of orbit (but hadn’t even hit atmosphere yet) instead of just placing it back into place.

Titus probably figured it was large enough to survive re-entry, thus endangering lives on the ground.

Also, he's the Sage of Strength, not Titus the Taxicab. :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Accidentally confirmed by Target, Showa Godzilla Criterion Collection box set

https://www.target.com/p/godzilla-the-showa-era-blu-ray/-/A-77463486?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Accidentally confirmed by Target, Showa Godzilla Criterion Collection box set

https://www.target.com/p/godzilla-the-showa-era-blu-ray/-/A-77463486?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

:yum:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't know anything about anything, I just started watching Shout Factory on twitch and they ended the Sentai Sunday with this cliffhanger:

I came into the very middle of an episode so I don't know who anyone is or why they're fighting. However from what I gather the evil side wants their power crystals to control the Rangers' Zords (there's a giraffe?!?!), there's a princess living in a crystal cave that's acting as Mission Control, the Black Ranger is the comic relief and the Blue Ranger is incredibly attractive but doesn't appear to be a well fleshed out character at this point. From the flashbacks there is some serious history where the enemy tried to stage a major attack of some kind and their predecessors repelled them but at great personal cost. The Sixth Ranger/Lone Wolf character screwed himself when he tried to harness the evil side's own energy against them and it resulted in him being locked away for a thousand years or so. When the evil side resurrected they got to him first and he's been fighting the Rangers for the whole time. They haven't been able to defeat him completely until they got an armadillo Zord and used it as a kickball to infect him with magic leprosy and apparently this was enough to knock him out of his Zord and the run ended with them rushing to his side.

I tried to read the OP but retracted into my body like a snapping turtle hiding in its shell. Apparently this series is Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger. I'm dazed and confused at being this riveted by a kid's show. What do I do next?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

JUMP! (it's the transformation sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h1L7B5Huq8

According to Google translate...

"Jump! Authorization!
Progrise! Jumping is rising! Rising Hopper!
A jump to the sky turns to a Rider Kick."

It's very different from the usual catchy songs, it's very mechanical but I dig it.

a j u m p t o t h e s k y t u r n s t o a r i d e r k i c k

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HIJK posted:

I tried to read the OP but retracted into my body like a snapping turtle hiding in its shell. Apparently this series is Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger. I'm dazed and confused at being this riveted by a kid's show. What do I do next?

TL;DR: Watch Zyuranger, the source for the original Power Rangers footage. Shout Factory has it. I do believe it's still freely streamable on Shout Factory TV, if that's still a thing, too. You could also watch Gaoranger, though I can't attest to the quality or lack thereof.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

TL;DR: Watch Zyuranger, the source for the original Power Rangers footage. Shout Factory has it. I do believe it's still freely streamable on Shout Factory TV, if that's still a thing, too. You could also watch Gaoranger, though I can't attest to the quality or lack thereof.

Gaoranger is streaming free on their website it looks like, I'll finish it out there and then move on to Zyuranger. Thanks bro

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HIJK posted:

Gaoranger is streaming free on their website it looks like, I'll finish it out there and then move on to Zyuranger. Thanks bro
Tell us how you enjoy it! And welcome to tokusatsu.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Episode 1 of Gaoranger thoughts
- strong opening with a dude in a bug suit slamming into a window, the subsequent fight is good. I’m six years old again y’all
- they got a real life elephant for this???
- Red just casually climbs on it, bc he’s a vet. I’m surprised he isn’t making bank somewhere as a big animal vet
- however in the next scene he’s rescuing a cat so he’s probably one of these pure hearted types
- his future teammates just kidnapped him, not a good starting point. they need better social skills.
- so apparently they took him to the Savage Land
- CGI is dated but probably inevitable at this time period
- dude climbs a mountain side to get to a robolion, he knows what’s up.
- Great A’tuin flies through the sky with the Savage Land on his back. I can dig it
- Blue Ranger is incredibly handsome. I know I’ve said this but it bears repeating. (ANIMAL PUN)
- Red is totally digging the Priestess
- The leader being the last one to be recruited is interesting, usually these types recruit the rest of the team right?
- RUBBER SUIT ENEMY MAN I AM SIX YEARS OLD AGAIN YES KICK HIS rear end RANGERS
- oh poo poo there are people bleeding and actually looking hurt
- Red knows nothing and has probably never been in a fistfight in his life but he’s already all in on this. Respect
- The animal movements in the dirt are gonna get real old real fast
- blue and yellow rangers often get combo attacks together, I remember that from PR
- “but guys what if we worked together?” so crazy a plan it might just work!
- Yeeeeees rubber enemy man grew
- Lol holy poo poo Red just got splatted like a bug
- So the priestess didn’t know Orgs could grow but aparently the ability to summon Zords is innate anyway. So whoever made them knew that would be a required feature anyway.
- They don’t pilot them yet, but they do shoot energy at it until it explodes. This will probably be a skill they have to learn in later episodes.
- All in all, good showing. Red Ranger is a dork who rescues cats from bushes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That was the first season to go from rotoscoped and blue screen nonsense to full CGI sequences. If you just want to feel six years old again, there’s some good seasons of both the Japanese and western shows, though which ones will be most effective depend on what you grew up with, exactly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HIJK posted:

- RUBBER SUIT ENEMY MAN I AM SIX YEARS OLD AGAIN YES KICK HIS rear end RANGERS
:3:

Please keep up these trip reports, this is the purest thing I've seen in weeks and it's really made my night.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 22, 2019

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PMush Perfect posted:

Alternate suggestion: finish Gao, then go forward. Watch Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, which is a more modern version of the MMPR dinosaur/robot theme with a really solid cast; Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, which is a more 'mature' sentai with more of a focus on continuity, character and consequence; or Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, which is probably the strongest single series in the franchise - another strong cast, surprisingly good action, some really engrossing character arcs and the single greatest ranger in the franchise (Shinken Brown).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coq au Nandos posted:

Alternate suggestion: finish Gao, then go forward. Watch Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, which is a more modern version of the MMPR dinosaur/robot theme with a really solid cast; Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, which is a more 'mature' sentai with more of a focus on continuity, character and consequence; or Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, which is probably the strongest single series in the franchise - another strong cast, surprisingly good action, some really engrossing character arcs and the single greatest ranger in the franchise (Shinken Brown).

I have nothing to add because this is basically the exact same post I would've made. Good taste.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

:3:

Please keep up these trip reports, this is the purest thing I've seen in weeks and it's really made my night.

I passed out since I was up way past my bedtime last night but I’ll watch some more tonight. It looks like the thread consists of trip reports and merch talk so hopefully it won’t be too out of line. I’ll try to batch episode posts together so they don’t take up space.

Coq au Nandos posted:

I have no idea what this is but it looks fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

These are also all very good suggestions. Let us know when you're ready to pick one, we'll scare up links to the good fansubs for you (there are no official subs yet, and each of those series also has at least one really bad fansubbing).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 22, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Caught up to ZIO
I'm thinking Sougo might be Schwartz and Tsukuyomi's dad.

I'm digging the Another Decade pun, good thing it's the other Toku that's supposedly on the block.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like zi-o when it gets weird, but whenever it settles down into a routine it gets boring again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Melto is the smart Ryusoulger because he's the only one who knows you can't kill a rock.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like zi-o when it gets weird, but whenever it settles down into a routine it gets boring again.

That’s because Zi-O does good spectacle, but its actual plot and non-Woz characters are pretty lackluster and rarely consistent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If you want a starter Sentai series, I recommend Gokaiger. They introduce you to all these themes and conventions and through this band of jerks only in it for themselves(*) they learn what true heroism is all about.

* - They're all actually heroes already. They're just huge tsunderes for saving people. Every single one of them. Yes, even the nervous green guy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/SH1BUYAMELTDOWN/status/1153158082039390208

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

If you want a starter Sentai series, I recommend Gokaiger. They introduce you to all these themes and conventions and through this band of jerks only in it for themselves(*) they learn what true heroism is all about.

* - They're all actually heroes already. They're just huge tsunderes for saving people. Every single one of them. Yes, even the nervous green guy.

They do spoil some stuff from previous Sentai though (particularly Shinkenger and Jetman), but I believe it’s done so in a way that you wouldn’t really recognize it as a spoiler unless you’re familiar with the series being paid tribute to.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Geostomp posted:

That’s because Zi-O does good spectacle, but its actual plot and non-Woz characters are pretty lackluster and rarely consistent.

I dropped Zi-O fairly early on because I thought the main guy was really boring and the rest of the cast wasn't interesting enough to prop him up. I saw that Decade has a gun now so I was interested in giving it another try, but if that character problem never got fixed I guess I'll leave it

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Eh, yes and no. They put a lot of focus on Sougo actually being a sneaky motherfucker when he wants to be (since he grows up to be the Demon King and all), but those parts of him have sort of fallen by the wayside lately.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God this was not a good episode of Ryusoulger. Probably the first one so far I did not like at all.

Canalo's poo poo is overplayed already, and it felt like he just threw all development he had so far out of the window for really forced conflict. Bamba was in the right in what he did even if it did not work as expected. Gigant Kishiryuoh is terrible, between being nearly 100% stock footage and basically confirming the other four Dinoknights are completely pointless.

At least next episode is Tyramigo-focused so that should be fun. Though uhh, O-T people, since I know you're here, "Tyramigo on the Attack"? Seriously? How the hell did you manage to miss this reference?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The translations of the episode titles aren't my purview but also I don't think we're going to call an episode Attack on Tyramigo because as a translation it's not really descriptive. Or all that accurate.

Also yeah, Canalo's shtick is getting a bit tired, especially since it's basically his only contribution for the series and it seems to be one of the only sources of conflict for the last few episodes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Gaoranger ep2 - notes
- theme song kind of sucks. skip.
- So basically the opening is establishing the idiot hero status of Red, which...honestly, fair.
- Next monster is made of barbed wire which is a lot kinkier then I expect— HOLY poo poo IT JUST ICED A DUDE
- Blue Ranger still hot. I’m done for lads.
- Yellow is a dick who accuses Red of running away but it turns out he was....actually judt moving into his room. Which tbh I’d do as well. With a job like this they’d better give you room/board and a dental plan.
- the priestess is cute as gently caress when powering the tv with her tiny hands, oh my god
- there’s a pearl/clitoris statue on the set. A’ight.
- so Those Two Guys are trying to bring back their leader and there’s also a menagerie of evildoers for them to gently caress around with. These two are already the best characters because they’re so delighted by being evil.
- Red clinging to a stalagmite while A’tuin flies through the air is cute as gently caress. oh my god. Its kind of obvious to me at least that this particular series probably isn’t that great compared to the others but holy poo poo does it even matter when the cast is full of so many qt3.14s.
- holy poo poo this barbed wire org is just icing people left and right???? crushing someone in a piano is a horrible way to die!!??
- Yellow’s been fighting alone for anyear which is why he’s so jaded, but apparently Red is the only one who will notice a standing map being torn to shreds and figure out an Org is loose.
- oh jesus he thinks he can talk to them. okay.
- Blue feels bad about abandoning Red but Yellow is like “gently caress him and the horse he rode in on.” I don’t remember this level of interpersonal conflict when Jason and Kim were in charge
- PUTTIES WE GOT PUTTIES OH MYGOD YESSSS
- I’m wheezing at how terrible this fight scene is, love it
- Red you poor dumb idiot. You’re gonna loving die and Yellow will dance on your grave
- oh i see he apparently has psychic powers because his bond with animals is so ~deep~. Maybe Yellow is right you guys
- oh my god he’s all scratched and poo poo i can’t believe they actually show blood in this show????
- I’d ask why they’re pressuring him for a decision but tbh if he was Red on my team I’d also be concerned
- holy poo poo lol the cgi
- oh poo poo you guys they brought their weapons out YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS
- Cool Guys Don’t Look at Explosions
- so apparently the Evil Wand lady makes monsters grow by spraying them with rabbit poop. Okay. Honestly I bet these shows have had much weirder gimmicks.
- I’m gonna call it, having the power animals riding on A’tuin is just a bad idea tactically, it just takes one enterprising Puttie to hike up there and karate them to death and there would be nothing anyone could do.
- THEY’RE TRANSFORMING THEY’RE TRANSFORMING AND THEY’RE IN THE CONTROL CENTER
- Good job Rangers, you live to fight another day!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tyra should win awards for the amount of disdain for these idiot dunderheads he’s been saddled with in a single “Tyra!” shout.

Seriously. Shoot the green druidon, it’s not hard.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Gaoranger ep 3 - notes

- Shuten's rubber suit is quite intricate and his voice is very deep
- aw poo poo they can summon satan in their stone menagerie. I bet its a fake and that Shuten is faking it to control his followers better because that's the kind of convoluted scheme this show would come up with
- oh no there's a boy with a broken camera and he is sad :(
- honestly. if i were in his position i would absolutely shell out for a camera with wicked horns on it so I can't even get mad at the kid for buying it even though its blatantly evil
- oh my god Blue is demoted from being my power ranger boyfriend, how can you not like spinach
- Red is trying to team build in the worst way possible. he is so stupid, but I can't hate him anymore then I could hate a golden retriever for eating its own poop.
- White, you don't have to babysit your teammates and their feelings. They're adults, they can figure it out for themselves.
- oh poo poo, kid is a peeping tom now.
- noooooooooooo not the cute couple!! the camera killed them1!! THAT BOY NOW HAS THE SKIN OF A KILLER
- oh, they're just invisible. and apparently they decided to kick Yellow in the chest or something.
- "weird looking camera" um I think you mean TOTALLY WICKED AS gently caress CAMERA
- I just noticed Blue has cute little pink accents on his jacket. Promoted back to power ranger's boyfriend...on probation.
- Red is telling Yellow not to act alone but ummm sir Yellow is literally the first responder, what is he supposed to do? Just sit there and do nothing? that's how you lose perps Red!!!!!!!
- camera boy's reign of terror continues
- they. took. the invisible people to the hospital. are you joking. of course they did, this is Power Rangers logic!
- Yellow just randomly walking up to a boy and asking him "will you give me your camera" is not the way to make friends or influence people
- this episode I stan one (1) power ranger and that is Yellow.
- Yellow being immediately dismissive of Shuten is my favorite thing. third episode and so many husbandos already.
- honestly, the whole deal with it being a camera is actually pretty clever. You can't shield against a camera unless you have a mirror to reflect back the shot. it also plays well with the theme introduced in the first plain clothes scene. Yellow is the most experienced Ranger but everyone is paying attention to Red and not him, which really bites. He's someone who's used to going around as he sees fit and having some dumbass ordering him around and trying to arrange his diet and fight practices really sticks. And then White tried to tell him "it's not a big deal Red's just learning" which, while true, also dismisses his feelings of inadequacy and frustration. Hence, Yellow feels...invisible. And since the victims' life forces are tied up with the camera monster it renders him even more useless, making his feelings of frustration and paralysis manifest.
- So you know the themes are actually super on point this episode.
- and of course Red breaks his own rules by insisting on running off by himself.
- Oh poo poo, Red is having my mirror idea! twenty minutes late but okay!
- the other Rangers are slow if it took them this long to keep up, they should train for like. being able to follow people properly.
- ....so not a mirror reflecting the camera image back at the monster to make himself disappear, Red just soccer ball kicked a cardboard box at this dude. well. okay. my idea was better but whatever.
- Yellow is back on the scene and he's cartwheeling in because he's a showboater. nerd.
- Yellow just going hog on this dude. kick his rear end bb i'll hold your flower.
- "i can't lose i'm the leader" Yellow naptap this man pls.
- aw poo poo power ranger machine gun
- its been 20 years since I seriously watched one of these shows but the Zords combining is still riveting, what the gently caress.
- They do a lot of dynamic shots with windows breaking, its nice. Better then I expected for a show like this anyway.
- Yellow sassing Red is Good
- oh god the villain was the Devil's Anus all along
- episode was good but it needed more of the priestess being cute af

HIJK fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 23, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

HIJK posted:

- Blue feels bad about abandoning Red but Yellow is like “gently caress him and the horse he rode in on.” I don’t remember this level of interpersonal conflict when Jason and Kim were in charge

Power Rangers didn’t add interpersonal/interagency conflict until In Space paired a conflicted red ranger with a team that couldn’t entirely trust him, and the seasons that have a lot of that sort of thing (Time Force, SPD) are considered among some of the best.

If you haven’t seen it already, PR DinoThunder is worth a watch for people who fondly remember MMPR, and it’s effects are roughly on par with Gaoranger (it’s source material was two years later.) In addition, I think PR In Space hasn’t aged well but the express no-filler watch of it is interesting for nostalgics just for the overarching plotline that a finale that is basically Mighty Morphin’s Infinity War and Endgame.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Power Rangers didn’t add interpersonal/interagency conflict until In Space paired a conflicted red ranger with a team that couldn’t entirely trust him, and the seasons that have a lot of that sort of thing (Time Force, SPD) are considered among some of the best.

If you haven’t seen it already, PR DinoThunder is worth a watch for people who fondly remember MMPR, and it’s effects are roughly on par with Gaoranger (it’s source material was two years later.) In addition, I think PR In Space hasn’t aged well but the express no-filler watch of it is interesting for nostalgics just for the overarching plotline that a finale that is basically Mighty Morphin’s Infinity War and Endgame.

In Space is where I dropped out of watching it, due to the filler as a matter of fact. It was taking too long to get anywhere. :| If it's worth it to catch up on what happened to My Teams though then I'll check it out when there's time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lost Galaxy would be one of the best of the whole series if all the production problems didn't kick the middle third in the rear end. Great action, fun characters, the Magna Goddamn Defender THE most complex and possibly best realized character in Power Rangers

It's got a lot of good poo poo in it. It's finale is my personal favorite finale in all of Power Rangers and I am including Countdown there. Trakeena is a top tier badguy in how she develops and changes and again, the loving Magna Defender.

The only problem with his arc is that it suffers from being able to binge watch it. They repeat some of his flashbacks a bit too often- it made sense back when it was airing week to week and that was the only real way you'd see it, but it hurts now.

Villamax is also an amazing character.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I was into the HJK posts until they dissed the Gaoranger theme, now I feel so betrayed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

HIJK posted:

In Space is where I dropped out of watching it, due to the filler as a matter of fact. It was taking too long to get anywhere. :| If it's worth it to catch up on what happened to My Teams though then I'll check it out when there's time.

I’ll say watch “The Secret of the Locket” through “Dark Specter’s Revenge”, then just watch Countdown. Skip the Psycho Ranger arc because while it was groundbreaking for it’s time the adaption of it is actually kind of poor and has a lot of trading water. There’s like four episodes too many of Dark Specter going “I’M LOSING STRENGTH RAAAAGH”.

Countdown didn’t bring back any old rangers or anything (well it had a few old costumes but no actors), but it did deliver what people were sort of hoping for since the first episode’s dinner party of top villains. It tips a few sacred cows over and some old villains finally run out their plot armor.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Justin_Brett posted:

Eh, yes and no. They put a lot of focus on Sougo actually being a sneaky motherfucker when he wants to be (since he grows up to be the Demon King and all), but those parts of him have sort of fallen by the wayside lately.

Zi-O has a lot of good ideas, but never really followed through on any of them. They tease character development or interesting plot ideas, but almost always pull back before going all that far with before reverting to its comfort zone. Not to mention that the story seems to love setting up its own rules before happily breaking them all, acknowledging that they are broken, but offering no explanation on why it works this way now.

That isn’t to say that Zi-O is a bad series, but don’t go in with high expectations for deep plots or complex characters. It’s at its best when it’s fun, turn your brain off, Rider fanservice.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 23, 2019