Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

It's not quite finished (the author estimates there are 3-5 chapters left to go and posts about 1 chapter/month), but Mother of Learning is really, really rad. The writing's a bit lacking on the technical level, but the plotting is great- the protagonist is a smart-but-lazy loner going to a magical school, and circumstances beyond his control trap him in a time loop. No explicit sex (although there are students in explicit poly/nonconventional relationships), lots of violence: people being brutally burned/exploded/lightning-ed to death in magical fights. Only real problem I could foresee for some teenage readers is that since the protagonist is in a time loop that resets when they die, as the story goes on they get pretty blase about using suicide/stupid plans that will most likely result in their messy death as strategies.

So does Phil in Groundhog Day and I'd say that one's fine for teenagers. (If you or she somehow haven't seen Groundhog Day before, watch Groundhog Day, it's dope and my favorite movie.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Megazver posted:

So does Phil in Groundhog Day and I'd say that one's fine for teenagers. (If you or she somehow haven't seen Groundhog Day before, watch Groundhog Day, it's dope and my favorite movie.)

Very true. And yo, Groundhog Day is dark when you read between the lines. Like, I think it's implied that it took bill murray over a thousand years in the loop before he turned into not a jerk?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah when I first watched it as a kid I was like, wow, hes so wacky driving the car off a cliff. As an adult I was like oh jesus christ he just wants to die already, that's dark as gently caress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silynt posted:

lovely chapter of Black lecturing like Cat is still a child and her just going along with it, occasionally tossing in some petulant whining for good measure. I thought she had grown past that paternalistic bullshit.

To be fair, most of what he said was correct (I was also sort of scratching my head about how the "removing all Named rulers" thing would work in practice, even if it would be good if it could be done) and I also get the impression that Cat wanted to be "advised."

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: lol madonna's one of the humans now

ok not really but drat is it satisfying to watch erin do all this crazy poo poo and just throw a bunch of people together to see what happens. I really enjoyed Grimalkin's and Maughin's interactions with the adventurers, also you go maughin, do that crazy interspecies romance thing. I'm kinda hopeful that the cast from Baleros--Niers and the United Nations humans--come to izril soon for more of those crazy hijinks.

also jesus christ pirateaba has been writing 50000 words a week for like the past month.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

It's not quite finished (the author estimates there are 3-5 chapters left to go and posts about 1 chapter/month), but Mother of Learning is really, really rad. The writing's a bit lacking on the technical level, but the plotting is great- the protagonist is a smart-but-lazy loner going to a magical school, and circumstances beyond his control trap him in a time loop. No explicit sex (although there are students in explicit poly/nonconventional relationships), lots of violence: people being brutally burned/exploded/lightning-ed to death in magical fights. Only real problem I could foresee for some teenage readers is that since the protagonist is in a time loop that resets when they die, as the story goes on they get pretty blase about using suicide/stupid plans that will most likely result in their messy death as strategies.

Idk, I feel like it loses a lot of momentum once it gets to Act 3

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

Idk, I feel like it loses a lot of momentum once it gets to Act 3

Oh yeah, for sure... I think I most enjoyed the first half, from the start of the loop through teaming up with Zach. Once he and Zach get together and Zorian starts, like, multi-threading his brain and farting shadow clones everywhere it stopped being quite as fun, and I've been really disappointed in how the post-loop story kinda asspulled angels out of nowhere and set up for a violent fight to solve everything instead of a sneaky intelligence/spy thing, which is what Zorian excels at. But even with the weaker sections I've had fun following it.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Just noticed God King's Legacy started back up again.

Lucia remains the best awful protagonist.

Godking's Legacy posted:

Is there something wrong with me? All I want to do is curl up into a ball and -

Slaughter?

-and slaughter. Wait. No, that's not right. Curl up into a ball and -

Kill?

That's not right either!

Cut down everything bothersome?

No! ...Actually, that one's not too bad. If everything bothersome is gone, then that means I'll have all the time in the world to mope around and wallow in self-pity. Right. Let's get rid of all the bothersome things in the world, starting with the rainbow bird outside.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Forge of Destiny chapter 60: Is the new talisman the silver hairpin? Do we know what it does? I can't find any other mention of it after she picks it up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Forge of Destiny chapter 60: Is the new talisman the silver hairpin? Do we know what it does? I can't find any other mention of it after she picks it up.

Yes, that's the talisman being referenced.

Only if you want to know what's up with the hairpin, it isn't that spoilery or anything though: The snowflake pin talisman enhances water and wind arts, which is pretty much any of her attacking arts at that point in time.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Ward 15.6 Skipping over the horsehit of knocking out Narwhal, Chevalier, and VALKYRIE (and Triumvirate level Legend being apparently sidelined and stuck) off screen, Hells YES they got Contessa

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Uldor posted:

Ward 15.6 Skipping over the horsehit of knocking out Narwhal, Chevalier, and VALKYRIE (and Triumvirate level Legend being apparently sidelined and stuck) off screen, Hells YES they got Contessa

This is probably just tin-foil hat nonsense, but that honestly came off to me like WB handwaving away the increasing number of people who have been pointing out that most of the story's problems could've been solved super-easily by others, since those three are the ones most frequently brought up in the context of "...why oh why are Breakthrough the ones getting sent on this mission when <X,Y,Z>".

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
pretty sure the capes legend is fighting are supposed to be the yangban so it makes sense he would be struggling

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Wandering Inn is when Erin throws a party and the more party she throws the more The Wandering Inn it is.

Edit: muscle wizard owns and I have high hopes for muscle pisces and muscle ceria

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Wandering Inn is when Erin throws a party and the more party she throws the more The Wandering Inn it is.

Edit: muscle wizard owns and I have high hopes for muscle pisces and muscle ceria

I want Relc to pick up magic

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Magic and a bar with the whole party standing on it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Larry Parrish posted:

I want Relc to pick up magic

by this I assume you mean "I want Relc to learn magic that makes him better at lifting things"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Grimalkin spending the entire party freaking out at how sick the cast's gains could be if they tried was definitely the highlight of the chapter.

although i kept imagining him as a grimalkyne from monster hunter

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like the high fantasy parts more than other readers seem to but Erin throwing parties and smashing her toys together like the Infinity War of parties really is TWI at its very best. I can't believe I spent nearly 2 hours just reading about characters doing nothing but running around and having food and drinks together, let alone that pirateaba was able to type all that without her hands dissolving into a fine mist.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

We talk about Erin being a Mary Sue but this plan was actually smart. I didn’t figure it out till the Antium showed up. One of my favorite chapters in a bit, if only because as a bartender, I recognize the manic energy that comes from trying to get a group of strangers on the same page and on their way to becoming friends.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

one of the central themes of TWI is that information-age humans transported to another world will survive and thrive through their unique perspective on how to use instantaneous communication to allow for open exchange of ideas , and i've never felt more certain saying that than after this party chapter

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The climax of the serial is going to be Erin yelling BRING IT IN, GUYS!!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Arc 2 of Not All Heroes concluded today. The third and final arc begins in two weeks.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I knew Taint hadn't updated since like, January, but I didn't realize the author hadn't posted anything at all since March. Oof.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I knew Taint hadn't updated since like, January, but I didn't realize the author hadn't posted anything at all since March. Oof.

Yeah. Some chance that one'll come back but a slim one.

Pity, the sense of weight and momentum in those fight scenes was unreal

Though as impromptu endings go, that last arc's not half bad. :unsmith:

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Arc 2 of Not All Heroes concluded today. The third and final arc begins in two weeks.

the last like 3 updates of this one had me on the edge of my seat

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI: oh boy a laken arc :effort:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI: oh boy a laken arc :effort:

TWI Patreon oh boy a laken arc and he's not even there

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I was always worried Taint was gonna stall the moment the two big main characters came into contact with one another. The whole premise of the story up to that point is basically "Character A tries to meet Character B" so now that they actually did meet it's like... is the story over? I mean, obviously not but the transition from Major Plot Arc A to Major Plot Arc B was always gonnna be rough no matter how you sliced it.

...did not expect months of radio silence though :(

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I just figured the author was working on Trials instead, but nothing there either, so now I'm just hoping they're still alive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Ward 15.7 is actually a neat way of handling you-know-who. Introduce tension by making Breakthrough And Friends make the decisions of which Contessa scenario to roll with.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Today on practical guide, Catherine takes a page from a rival villain unleashes a terrible fate upon the drow: Democracy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lone Goat posted:

TWI Patreon oh boy a laken arc and he's not even there

This was probably the most boring TWI chapter I have read in months.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i think that distinction goes to the recent magnolia chapter, but yeah, it really doesn't help that it comes right after some really interesting poo poo going down with erin and also having all those plot threads in Baleros currently hanging in the air. I've found that alot of these buildup chapters are pretty good upon reread, but the sheer amount of setup to actually get to the interesting parts (the goblins) is kind of tortuous.

Personally I think pirateaba is doing this because she's trying to recover from writing close to sixty loving thousand words last week

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

New MoL. One more normal chapter in 4-ish weeks, then he's planning on releasing all the remaining chapters in one big chunk.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Personally I think pirateaba is doing this because she's trying to recover from writing close to sixty loving thousand words last week

I am honestly not even sure how that is possible, I cap out at around five or six thousand words a day if I am writing business processes, guides for stuff or powerpoint presentations for my day job, let alone creative writing.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

TWI: I've found that alot of these buildup chapters are pretty good upon reread, but the sheer amount of setup to actually get to the interesting parts (the goblins) is kind of tortuous.

Yeah she is really big on the foreshadowing, or how to call it. Even the Rakshgar rescue had entire chapter of Erin coming with a plan. I am pretty torn about this tendency, for one it can draw out the story in a very boring way, on the other some people do have lower reading comprehension and sometimes everyone has a bad day.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

The Skeep posted:

Today on practical guide, Catherine takes a page from a rival villain unleashes a terrible fate upon the drow: Democracy.

I mean, having your campaign promises be divinely enforced on pain of death is gonna do wonders for voter confidence.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
TWI Patreon: Ok, besides the (at least for now) out of left field underworld plot, while Octavia has been kind of a poo poo for most of the story, finally feels like she's either gonna get a redemption scenario of sorts or she's gonna get killed off. Also, Yellow Splatters and Numbtongue is :3: :3: :3: as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
After some delays due to health, The Lightning Brigade's second act has finished up.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/25027/the-lightning-brigade-volume-1-four-beams-of-light

And we're already at 100K.

Which is concerning for any future plans to publish this. Mm. Problems for later.

Though I will say, I'm proud of myself for one reason. Any time you can say that your story climaxes with a fist fight with a skeleton atop a mountain in Iran, you're probably doing something right.