Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finished the Revanche Cycle - I know it's Fantasy to the UF, but considering how it ties into the Daniel Faust series (stopped reading that to read the Revanche) it's actually surprisingly good as a standalone series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Omi no Kami posted:

I just caught up with the Rook show, and holy crap this is garbage. We all knew it was gonna be, but holy cow.

Did they really make Gestalt a love interest?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Did they really make Gestalt a love interest?

Unless I totally mistook who they were supposed to be, since like 70% of the original characters are gone, Myfanwy sleeps with both Gestalt and van Syoc, and Grantchester likes to put women's husbands in superpower-induced fugue states so he can sleep with them in front of their spouse.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So what you're saying is Stephanie Meyer's influence is clearly visible.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Maybe the rights for Anita Blake were too expensive but they really wanted to make a supernatural sex show where the characters sex.

Boners.

I always knew they were going to screw it up but it's funny that this is the direction they took THAT book. The one that was actually kind of refreshing for the fact that it was a UF novel with a female protagonist where the primary concern wasn't riding the were-sled to the bone zone

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I just caught up with the Rook show, and holy crap this is garbage. We all knew it was gonna be, but holy cow.

it's impressively bad

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I always knew they were going to screw it up but it's funny that this is the direction they took THAT book. The one that was actually kind of refreshing for the fact that it was a UF novel with a female protagonist where the primary concern wasn't riding the were-sled to the bone zone

That's a real shame. It's relatedly why I stopped being unable to stand Bones (the show about the bones expert who works for the police) because the show's primary concern quickly became the bone zone.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Kchama posted:

That's a real shame. It's relatedly why I stopped being unable to stand Bones (the show about the bones expert who works for the police) because the show's primary concern quickly became the bone zone.

This is why fanfiction became a thing in the first place. I don't know why shows have to turn into dating sims after 3 seasons, but the writers ought to let the niche internet communities do that for them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rook did a way better job of that, but I also appreciated how the Harmony Black books basically went

Jessie: "Hey look, a sexy cowboy."
Harmony: "Um?"
Jessie: "Aren't you going to go do the sexing?"
Harmony: "Meh."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like Stiletto, but this bit,

Scorchy posted:

(Odette has a great arc)

Is 100% wrong and the garbage conclusion to Odette's arc nearly ruined the entire book for me. The whole climax is her doing literally nothing while the plot happens around her.

And it was simple enough to fix, just have it so using the weapon is Odette's choice. Her conflict is built around split loyalties and forcing her to choose to kill her old eugenics crazy pals to save Felicity would be a satisfactory conclusion to her story. Instead, she's totally passive and strapped to a table with zero agency while the Grafters use her as a weapon. It suuuuuuuuucks.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 22, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Is 100% wrong and the garbage conclusion to Odette's arc nearly ruined the entire book for me. The whole climax is her doing literally nothing while the plot happens around her.

And it was simple enough to fix, just have it so using the weapon is Odette choice. Her conflict is built around split loyalties and forcing her to choose to kill her old eugenics crazy pals to save Felicity would be a satisfactory conclusion to her story. Instead, she's totally passive and strapped to a table with zero agency while the Grafters use her as a weapon. It suuuuuuuuucks.

That's about where I ended up... I enjoyed reading Stiletto, and it was fun to inhabit that setting again, but I always found the Grafters less interesting than the Checquy, and depriving Odette of literally any agency whatsoever in her role was super-frustrating.

My proposed alternative is pretty shallow, but I kinda wish he'd stuck with a more serial format and just written 4-5 crisis-of-the-week books where bored x-men civil servants run around dealing with weirdness.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Skippy McPants posted:

And it was simple enough to fix, just have it so using the weapon is Odette's choice. Her conflict is built around split loyalties and forcing her to choose to kill her old eugenics crazy pals to save Felicity would be a satisfactory conclusion to her story. Instead, she's totally passive and strapped to a table with zero agency while the Grafters use her as a weapon. It suuuuuuuuucks.

You're right, the ending had zero agency for both the main characters and that sucks. It's not out of nowhere, all the clues and setup was there, but still.

I don't actually like Odette because she reminds me of people I know and hate, but where she began in the book and where she ends up forms the emotional backbone of the story. It's less about what she does and more about how she feels about it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure, and her maturing from a spoiled socialite into something closer to a real adult is fun to watch but because nobody has any agency in what unfolds the result is a story that kinda lacks for a protagonist. If I'd been one of his beta readers I'd have suggested something like,

Her uncle has an attack of conscience and confesses to her about the bomb, which leaves Odette feeling used and betrayed. During the climax, she purposefully avoids looking at her friends to keep from killing them and doesn't change her mind until she learns Felicity's life is at stake.

Oh well, it was still decent enough that I'd enjoy another book. The supernatural world O'Malley put together has a balance of menace and whimsy that's difficult to pull off and fun to read.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, and her maturing from a spoiled socialite into something closer to a real adult is fun to watch but because nobody has any agency in what unfolds the result is a story that kinda lacks for a protagonist. If I'd been one of his beta readers I'd have suggested something like,

Her uncle has an attack of conscience and confesses to her about the bomb, which leaves Odette feeling used and betrayed. During the climax, she purposefully avoids looking at her friends to keep from killing them and doesn't change her mind until she learns Felicity's life is at stake.

Oh well, it was still decent enough that I'd enjoy another book. The supernatural world O'Malley put together has a balance of menace and whimsy that's difficult to pull off and fun to read.

Hmm, the problem there is that basically van Syoc's defining characteristic is that he'll do whatever it takes to preserve his family and their work. Maybe instead of it being an act of conscience, he spends the first 10-15% of the book maneuvering her into position while she bonds with her bodyguard and the Checquy, then right when she's started to overcome people's suspicion and make new friends he goes "Btw, you know how we told them we're cooperating? Those are total lies, please look forward to lying to and betraying everyone you just met." It's a nice way to generate antagonism between she and her uncle without actually alienating them, and gives her something to be visibly split over from the getgo.

This is splitting hairs, but I also wasn't too thrilled with how the evil science kids were introduced: it felt like the book was bending over backwards to misrepresent them as a third party that chased the Grafters out of continental Europe and/or motivated them to see the alliance with the Checquy,, and both Odette and van Syoc spend most of the book discussing them in a very indirect and awkward way whose sole purpose was to hide the fact that the big bad were grafter rebels from the reader. I think it would've almost worked better if we learned that it was a grafter faction immediately after Odette's bodyguard friend's squad were all slaughtered.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm onto the third Alex Verus book and whoooo boy you guys weren't wrong about all the mages being total assholes holy poo poo.

I mean drat there is some solid comic book level villainy going on for what seems like some pretty dubious reasons and Alex himself does a pretty good job of shrugging off him slaughtering a bunch of random mooks.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

basement dweller posted:

it's impressively bad

It’s Dark Tower levels of bad without any special effects budget.

They showed a new trailer at SDCC that has clips from the back half of the season. Van Syoc is definitely a love interest and the memory eating kid is just a normal kid and not a creepy genetic experiment.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So what you're saying is Stephanie Meyer's influence is clearly visible.

As much as I’d like to blame Stephanie Meyer for this abomination, she left it a while ago due to creative differences with the showrunners, one of who...

Kchama posted:

... was also the showrunner for Bones. They supposedly redid large parts of the show after her departure. So the well was poisoned from a lot of different people.

It’s just amazing that someone could get the rights to weird as gently caress British X-men and decide to make it a spy thriller/romance with as little superhuman/supernatural as possible. Especially with how well superhero properties are doing right now. It doesn’t even make sense from a business perspective.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Lawlicaust posted:

It’s just amazing that someone could get the rights to weird as gently caress British X-men and decide to make it a spy thriller/romance with as little superhuman/supernatural as possible. Especially with how well superhero properties are doing right now. It doesn’t even make sense from a business perspective.

It's reminding me of that time Fox bought the TV rights to Neil Gaiman's comic about lucifer owning a piano bar and having long, introspective conversations with angels, demons, and everyone in-between, and turned it into a police procedural. Like, TV Rook is so far removed from the source material that they could've just called it MI7 or something and saved the licensing fee.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
The Rook show reminds me of John Carpenter's Vampire$, which used absolutely nothing from the book beyond part of an opening scene and a couple of character names. The author of the novel was genuinely baffled, in interviews, that they licensed his (relatively obscure) book and paid him money for it when they really didn't have to.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The weird thing is that I don’t have Starz so I found out about the romance subplot when I stumbled onto an lgbt blog gushing about the show’s lgbt representation because I guess myfawny kisses the Eliza gestalt?

Whoever was writing it had clearly never read the books and I just felt bad for her because, lady, you are in for a rough ride.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

It's reminding me of that time Fox bought the TV rights to Neil Gaiman's comic about lucifer owning a piano bar and having long, introspective conversations with angels, demons, and everyone in-between, and turned it into a police procedural. Like, TV Rook is so far removed from the source material that they could've just called it MI7 or something and saved the licensing fee.

Oh man don't remind me of the Lucifer TV show. I came home from work one day and my boyfriend was watching it and asked if I was familiar with it. I told him I'd read the comics and really liked them, but didn't know there was a show. So I ended up watching an episode or two with him and honestly there was just enough references to piss me off.

The show is SO BAD if you're familiar with the source material, but my non comic reading boyfriend loves it. So now he just watches it when I'm not there to nitpick at it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

As much as I’d like to blame Stephanie Meyer for this abomination, she left it a while ago due to creative differences with the showrunners, one of who...

... was also the showrunner for Bones. They supposedly redid large parts of the show after her departure. So the well was poisoned from a lot of different people.

Holy poo poo really? Well that absolutely explains literally everything. I'm officially of the opinion that the Twilight lady was probably a better choice than the person responsible for museum workers literally boning on priceless artifacts every single episode while the lady in charge of making sure they don't bone on the bones fondly approves in Bones.

Also is this a Starz show? They love doing stuff like this. They've been trying to make an adaptation of Noir which literally had this problem too. The casting call including a bunch of men to be the main characters as opposed to the titular Noir.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Harry Connolly is going to write a 20 Palaces sequel and is doing a kickstarter to determine how many words it will be. Not sure this is a great way to go about deciding that, but it's probably worth $4 for a future copy if you already liked the series.

http://harryjconnolly.com/the-iron-gate-a-new-break-kickstarter-campaign/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Unless I totally mistook who they were supposed to be, since like 70% of the original characters are gone, Myfanwy sleeps with both Gestalt and van Syoc, and Grantchester likes to put women's husbands in superpower-induced fugue states so he can sleep with them in front of their spouse.

hooooooo boy I knew it would be but I didn't know it would be this impressively bad

Has Starz done anything good recently?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Deathlove posted:

hooooooo boy I knew it would be but I didn't know it would be this impressively bad

Has Starz done anything good recently?

Black Sails was basically downington abbey with pirates, which is a winning concept, and I thought american gods had a lot of potential until the showrunners developed an obsession with making the show shoot itself in the foot all episode, every episode.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Drone Jett posted:

Harry Connolly is going to write a 20 Palaces sequel and is doing a kickstarter to determine how many words it will be. Not sure this is a great way to go about deciding that, but it's probably worth $4 for a future copy if you already liked the series.

http://harryjconnolly.com/the-iron-gate-a-new-break-kickstarter-campaign/
As much as I love the series, that is weird.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/1153374999673069569

:toot:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

:tipshat:

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 22, 2019

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
That might be the first time I've backed a kickstarter.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Saros posted:

I'm onto the third Alex Verus book and whoooo boy you guys weren't wrong about all the mages being total assholes holy poo poo.

I mean drat there is some solid comic book level villainy going on for what seems like some pretty dubious reasons and Alex himself does a pretty good job of shrugging off him slaughtering a bunch of random mooks.

To be fair Alex himself acknowledges that he's far from normal and kinda reflects on his acts of violence when things get slow. Book 3 and 4 are some of the best in the series in terms of pacing, events, and characters, so enjoy.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Kchama posted:

Holy poo poo really? Well that absolutely explains literally everything. I'm officially of the opinion that the Twilight lady was probably a better choice than the person responsible for museum workers literally boning on priceless artifacts every single episode while the lady in charge of making sure they don't bone on the bones fondly approves in Bones.

Also is this a Starz show? They love doing stuff like this. They've been trying to make an adaptation of Noir which literally had this problem too. The casting call including a bunch of men to be the main characters as opposed to the titular Noir.

Yeah, the showrunners have previous made a lot of romance drama/thriller only tangentially related to a plot (ER, Bones, Flash Forward, One Tree Hill). Meyer was the only person associated with the project that seemed to actually know or care about the source material. But don’t take my word for it, let’s here from the new showrunner:

quote:

Speaking at a TCA panel Tuesday afternoon, “The Rook” executive producer Stephen Garrett said Meyer — who was hired as showrunner, before exiting early in production — parted with the show “amicably.” He said Meyer, who adapted Daniel O’Malley’s 2012 novel, had a “different take” than what the other producers decided to pursue. This led to, as you might imagine, a departure over “creative differences.”

The current producers intentionally decided to go this direction instead of what Meyer had planned. Now, her plans may have been atrocious and involve Myfanwy being a self-insert that starts banging Alberich who now sparkles. We will never know. But the current direction is definitely on the new showrunners and not her.

I hope it gets put out of its misery after this season.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’m now imagining they got Meyer expecting herto do her freaky vampire sex thing but in this case it got too bad even for her or something.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

To be fair Alex himself acknowledges that he's far from normal and kinda reflects on his acts of violence when things get slow. Book 3 and 4 are some of the best in the series in terms of pacing, events, and characters, so enjoy.

I think it really struck me in book 2 when he was wandering around the Ice mages sanctum 360-noscoping a bunch of guards without any real effort that he really is as deadly as any of the other battlemages and that his poor me i'm so afraid and outgunned all the time act is uh, a bit overblown.

Also Onyx seems fairly chill for a dark mage. Man just wants to smash n slice things with his jedi powers and not have to do what Morden says the whole time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Avalerion posted:

I’m now imagining they got Meyer expecting herto do her freaky vampire sex thing but in this case it got too bad even for her or something.

Maybe her proposal for the show was for there to be like 10 Gestalt bodies instead of 4, and 90% of its runtime would be dedicated to him hanging out at home after work doing live theatrical re-enactments of all the Twlight fanfiction he wrote as a teenager. It would be the dumbest thing in the world, and also amazing. (Also, a lot more entertaining than what we ended up with.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It'll be hilarious when it turns out Meyer was actually trying to make a good, faithful adaptation because she's a fan.

anilEhilated posted:

As much as I love the series, that is weird.

It's fun as a one-time experiment, IMO, but I wouldn't want this to become a model that more people do.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 23, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh, is chapter 3 of Peace Talks called "The End"?

(I kid because I love)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's done, Jim.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Saros posted:

I think it really struck me in book 2 when he was wandering around the Ice mages sanctum 360-noscoping a bunch of guards without any real effort that he really is as deadly as any of the other battlemages and that his poor me i'm so afraid and outgunned all the time act is uh, a bit overblown.

The thing is, Verus’s power level is extremely quantum in a way other mages’ powers aren’t: if he can beat you, he will beat you easily, because he can just save-scum the right result, but if you can put up a solid defense against fists and bullets and he doesn’t have any of his tricks on him, he’s as good as powerless. There have been multiple times when Cinder and company have had him dead to rights if they’d actually gone full out. It’s just that no one else but Verus is ever sure which quantum state he’s in.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Saros posted:

Also Onyx seems fairly chill for a dark mage. Man just wants to smash n slice things with his jedi powers and not have to do what Morden says the whole time.

Nah. Onyx might not, at the surface level, like any authority that is not his own- but he also somewhat clearly wants Morden's respect and is super-pissed Magic Dad loves his step-son Alex more than him.

Also, Cinder remarks upon that. He talks about how Alex isn't like the light Mages, how he's more ruthless. Alex starts talking about how he isn't really that dangerous, and Cinder tells him he's full of poo poo in so many words. Says that he expects that by the end of the night, Alex will be alive and everyone against him won't be.

And that kind of takes him aback. It's a mixture of Alex' rational acknowledgment re: the limitations his magic places upon him, and the inner conflict that forms a line throughout the books and takes central stage at the end of seven leading into eight.

Given the title of the ninth book is 'Fallen', we're likely going to see that go even further in September.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Nah. Onyx might not, at the surface level, like any authority that is not his own- but he also somewhat clearly wants Morden's respect and is super-pissed Magic Dad loves his step-son Alex more than him.

Also, Cinder remarks upon that. He talks about how Alex isn't like the light Mages, how he's more ruthless. Alex starts talking about how he isn't really that dangerous, and Cinder tells him he's full of poo poo in so many words. Says that he expects that by the end of the night, Alex will be alive and everyone against him won't be.

And that kind of takes him aback. It's a mixture of Alex' rational acknowledgment re: the limitations his magic places upon him, and the inner conflict that forms a line throughout the books and takes central stage at the end of seven leading into eight.

Given the title of the ninth book is 'Fallen', we're likely going to see that go even further in September.

"How many people that have gone against you are still alive?"

Cinder is one of the few people who have gone against Alex and realised just how loving dangerous Alex is. Everyone else (including Alex himself) keeps underestimating him and getting wiped.
Iirc, at some point they mention most diviners keep to themselves and Alex is pretty much the only one we've seen fighting, so a lot of this comes from the perceived power difference between a guy who can "only" peek at the future and someone like Cinder or Onyx that can level a loving building if they want to.

Last (maybe second to last?) book spoilers:
And maybe Morden, because after that vault fight I wouldn't be surprised if he was a diviner as well, but if he is... well, it only cements how dangerous diviners are :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Morden!=Drahk