Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

Hulu is 6 bucks a month, nice math

Fox was free though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Donovan Trip posted:

Seth sounded really, really happy with this deal at comicon. I trust his judgment. This could be a really *good* thing for Orville. Imagine if an episode could run 5 minutes longer just because it needs to. There's my biggest gripe with Orville, cramping the story and bumbling the ending to fit a rigid timeslot.

When a TV show is on broadcast TV, you get ~40 minutes of show per hour. Streaming TV really shines in this aspect because episodes don't have a set run-time, one episode could be 45 minutes, and the next one could be 65 minutes as the story dictates. There were already several episodes in season 2 that could have benefited from 5 to 10 extra minutes.

There's also the Fox angle. The Orville is an hour long program with a long production time, and a 13 episode season, it's just not that compatible with broadcast TV. At some point Fox would just stuff it in a random slot, where it dies unceremoniously, especially if it doesn't meet the current model of whatever their executives are into that day.

As for Hulu, they're getting a high concept show without the upfront costs, the sets, props, costumes, cast, and crew are all in the box. You'll also not have to deal with the network deciding to air episodes out of order, or hold one back until the next season.

So yeah, I think that the jump to Hulu is good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

When a TV show is on broadcast TV, you get ~40 minutes of show per hour. Streaming TV really shines in this aspect because episodes don't have a set run-time, one episode could be 45 minutes, and the next one could be 65 minutes as the story dictates. There were already several episodes in season 2 that could have benefited from 5 to 10 extra minutes.

Has any show ever actually taken advantage of this though? I don't think I have watched much streaming original content so I could just not have seen one that does yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If the show really takes off on Hulu, I sincerely hope the writers get a shitload of credit in hindsight for S1 and S2 as far as "drat we did some pretty great stuff, considering we had to pretend to be Family Guy In Space for S1"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Has any show ever actually taken advantage of this though? I don't think I have watched much streaming original content so I could just not have seen one that does yet.

I've not paid a whole lot of attention, but the Netflix and Hulu originals I've watched in the past few years have varying run-times on their episodes. In general they're also running closer to 30/60 minutes of run time rather than the 20/40 minutes of broadcast TV.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80044950
Run length:
Season 1: 71, 59, 61, 64, 61, 31, 42, 50
Season 2: 69, 71, 55, 63, 43, 48, 52, 43

So Season 1 had a 40 minute range of times between episodes, Season 2 had multiple 28 minute swings.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

A lot of Netflix shows do. Its not just the overal length, but you also don't have to pace an epusode for commercial breaks either, so its more than just the overall time limit constraint that is lifted. Watch something like OitNB or Umbrella Academy and try to imagine where the commercial breaks would go. While its easy to find the transition in between scenes, if you had a stopwatch it wouldn't be consistent with broadcast TV.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Yes plenty of them do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the case of Hulu.

Runaways Season 2 episodes span from 43 minutes to 50 minutes.
Over 3 seasons of The Handmaids Tale, episodes spanned from 45 minutes to 64 minutes.
Castle Rock ran between 43 minutes and 60 minutes.

Keep in mind that the average network show is about 42 minutes long now due to commercial breaks.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

swickles posted:

A lot of Netflix shows do. Its not just the overal length, but you also don't have to pace an epusode for commercial breaks either, so its more than just the overall time limit constraint that is lifted. Watch something like OitNB or Umbrella Academy and try to imagine where the commercial breaks would go. While its easy to find the transition in between scenes, if you had a stopwatch it wouldn't be consistent with broadcast TV.

They'll probably keep fairly consistent run times and commercial break spots in this show as long as it is still airing on normal networks outside of the US.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sometimes the inconsistent runtimes really hurt the pacing of some of these shows, though. There have been times where episodes feel like they're never going to end because they didn't cut stuff that would have just been left as deleted scenes. The new Twilight Zone sometimes had a 20-minute plot stretched into 50 minutes.

It reaaaaaaally hurts comedies, which flow so much tighter at 22 minutes.

I like it when a show gets a finale that's extended or double length, but almost every episode? Ehhhhh...

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

pyrotek posted:

They'll probably keep fairly consistent run times and commercial break spots in this show as long as it is still airing on normal networks outside of the US.

This, exactly. Plus, they’ll want to keep traditional broadcast runtimes with the potential for US TV syndication down the line as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The amount of time for commercials has gotten longer over time, this becomes a problem for older syndicated shows. You'll see that they cut some scenes, run things a little faster, and superimpose the credits over the end scenes.

Admittedly I'm going by my local markets, so I could be wrong, but hour long shows don't really seem to crop up in syndication. It actually seems pretty rare to even find half-hour comedies in syndication outside of certain sub-channels. I'm not 100% sure that syndication is that sought after anymore.

Also, with 13 episodes per season, The Orville will need almost 8 seasons to reach the golden number for Syndication of 100 episodes.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I think streaming is the new end of life goal these days as opposed to syndication

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Streaming wars haven't even started yet. Disney bought out the rest of Comcast's shares of Hulu for nearly 7 billion dollars. Network TV is running off taking all their hits with them. HBO lost its core franchise (sabotaged by Disney). All of these big boys throwing their money around are getting ready to slug it out over your monthly subscription budget. They are greenlighting everything and dedicating big budgets to projects to see what sticks, and it's going to be that way for at least a few years.

All of this is to say, this is a great time to be a content creator, especially one with a legacy of success running a show with a built in audience, cast, crew and sets. A show that's already Emmy nominated. The Orville is in all likelihood going to thrive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure Disney sabotaged themselves poaching D&D

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I'm sure he wouldn't say otherwise, but Seth seems pretty happy with the move.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Donovan Trip posted:

The Streaming wars haven't even started yet. Disney bought out the rest of Comcast's shares of Hulu for nearly 7 billion dollars. Network TV is running off taking all their hits with them. HBO lost its core franchise (sabotaged by Disney). All of these big boys throwing their money around are getting ready to slug it out over your monthly subscription budget. They are greenlighting everything and dedicating big budgets to projects to see what sticks, and it's going to be that way for at least a few years.

All of this is to say, this is a great time to be a content creator, especially one with a legacy of success running a show with a built in audience, cast, crew and sets. A show that's already Emmy nominated. The Orville is in all likelihood going to thrive.

disney sabotaged sesame street?!?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Donovan Trip posted:

The Streaming wars haven't even started yet.

I'm not sure it's going to actually be a war, it'll be more like the dot com boom. We're on the cusp of getting a ton of content shoved in our face, and then one day that bubble will burst.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yeah but until then, WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Before steam came around, I'd pirate tons of games because I was a teen with no money and buying physical games was very expensive. Every game universally being on steam and good games being only 10-30 dollars made it so so easy, so I stopped bothering to pirate anything and it was nice to build up a steam library with everything in one easy spot. Now that this "Epic" launcher is around and is paying companies to release "Epic exclusives" I've ended up pirating my first games in like a decade. No, I don't want to use multiple services with multiple launchers and multiple accounts and multiple billing systems, gently caress off.

TV's still in this mode, which is why I end up downloading it all for the most part unless it just happens to also be on netflix. If netflix, crave, amazon, itunes, google play and all that all had the exact same content available I'd pick one and start building up a media library, but they're still seeing them selves as TV networks with "exclusive" content spread between them. I want a one-stop shop for all media that you buy once and it's forever in your library. Right now none of the services really do this, but torrents do.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

corn in the bible posted:

disney sabotaged sesame street?!?

it is kinda weird they dont own sesame street. they own everything else

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bring back old gbs posted:

it is kinda weird they dont own sesame street. they own everything else

Especially since Disney does own the rest of the muppets, just not the Sesame Street ones.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Especially since Disney does own the rest of the muppets, just not the Sesame Street ones.

Pretty sure that was part of the buyout deal Henson made.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Hughlander posted:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80044950
Run length:
Season 1: 71, 59, 61, 64, 61, 31, 42, 50
Season 2: 69, 71, 55, 63, 43, 48, 52, 43

So Season 1 had a 40 minute range of times between episodes, Season 2 had multiple 28 minute swings.

Ooooh I need to make that show my next binge. I've heard great things and yet at the same time I hardly know a drat thing about the plot. I'd better get on it before I get spoiled.

Regarding varying runtimes, Disco has actually been doing this, much to my surprise.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ooooh I need to make that show my next binge. I've heard great things and yet at the same time I hardly know a drat thing about the plot. I'd better get on it before I get spoiled.

Regarding varying runtimes, Disco has actually been doing this, much to my surprise.
This show (The OA) is absolutely incredible, which contradicts my "variable runtime" rant from above. It's perfectly acceptable with this show.

Also, you just kinda have to be onboard with its earnest weirdness or you'll find it pretentious and full of itself.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty sure that was part of the buyout deal Henson made.

When Henson died in 1990, his kids took over the company. In 2000, they sold their company to the German company EM.TV, which was on a buying spree. EM.TV had all sorts of fina cial problems, and in 2001, sold the Sesame Street Muppets and the company's share of the TV channel Noggin to Sesame Workshop. The Henson kids bought back everything else in 2003.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JazzFlight posted:

This show (The OA) is absolutely incredible, which contradicts my "variable runtime" rant from above. It's perfectly acceptable with this show.

Also, you just kinda have to be onboard with its earnest weirdness or you'll find it pretentious and full of itself.

I only watched the first season so far but I have to say that your enjoyment of it is going to be directly proportional to your tolerance for interpretive dance

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Donovan Trip posted:

HBO lost its core franchise (sabotaged by Disney).

I have no idea what this refers to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Beachcomber posted:

I have no idea what this refers to.

They’re suggesting that Disney hiring the Game of Thrones showrunners was somehow a deliberate act of sabotage and that’s why the final season of GoT was so bad, which is some serious loving “Disney bought up extra tickets to make Captain Marvel look like a success when it was really a flop” level conspiracy nonsense.

The GoT dudes are just poor writers.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

JazzFlight posted:

That's like a perfect summation of what I have heard and I find it extremely appealing. Thank you.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's not that far out there. HBO wanted to make as many seasons of GOT as they could, they even pushed to make season 10 a regular 10 episode season to wrap things up. D&D had a multimillion dollar deal offer to launch a new Star Wars trilogy offered to them in 2016 and on a purely human / nerd level, duh of course you want to go work on that. There were also a few cast members of GOT that were ready to wrap things up and move on to other projects- you're definitely going to see more GOT actors in Disney/marvel properties.

HBO did not want to recast main characters on GOT, and they didn't want to hire new showrunners. The 2 year delay on GOT was largely contractual negotiations. HBO is currently developing as many as 3 GOT spinoffs because that poo poo was a golden egg and there's a lot of juice left in it. Of course they'd rather have continued the original series. Martin himself commented on D&D saying "I guess they wanted lives, or something." It's a not very subtle way of saying they wanted to do other things.

The last season of GOT was absolutely rushed. It's not a conspiracy to say "disney bought the showrunners of HBOs biggest show to steer a new Star Wars trilogy, while they launch their own multiple streaming services." HBO is a top competitor. Look at the streaming numbers of GOT.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thing 1 happend and had unintended consequence 2 is a far cry from sabotage imo but I'll admit there may be some causal relationship between the Star Wars deal and the last season of GoT being less than perfect

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm sure Disney pulling marvel from Netflix had nothing to do with it either

There's at least sixty years demonstrating exactly how the mouse thinks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

you're definitely going to see more GOT actors in Disney/marvel properties.

The Terror had like 3 or 4 of 'em!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Terror is good, Jarred Harris is good.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Thing 1 happend and had unintended consequence 2 is a far cry from sabotage imo but I'll admit there may be some causal relationship between the Star Wars deal and the last season of GoT being less than perfect

okay now explain the five seasons before that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

The Terror is good, Jarred Harris is good.

Season 2 in 4 days!

e: no Jared Harris though :smith:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Donovan Trip posted:

3 GOT spinoffs because that poo poo was a golden egg and there's a lot of juice left in it.

A lot of juice in that egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Season 2 in 4 days!

e: no Jared Harris though :smith:

I don't see why they're even using the terror branding at all, it seems totally unrelated. The fuckin' Cloverfield universe seems more tightly linked.