Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The point of the PC Jr was that it was very, very important to IBM not to cannibalize sales of their full-price version. So the PC Jr had to be worse enough that people who had the money for a PC wouldn't buy it, but good enough so that people who didn't have that money wouldn't feel ripped off.

They missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Buttcoin purse posted:

At least the model 30 was still ISA so it was only "weirdly incompatible", not "massively and intentionally incompatible" like the higher-end models that used MCA. Wikipedia says MCA was similar speed to PCI, and had PnP, but being high-end and not popular would have meant that they were really expensive.

I gather they would have been pretty popular in big businesses, I think you could replace most things in them without a screwdriver, and floppy and hard drives just slotted in without needing to attach cables.

There was a low end model sold to schools that, honestly was a sexy AiO beast with two 3.5” drives. I really liked using those. I believe is was the PS/2 model 25.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I was in high school at the time and my Dad announced he was going to get a computer. I assumed he was going to buy a PCjr or Apple II but he bought a PC XT

I have that machine now and it still works. The Wizardry 1 5 1/4 game floppies I kept still work. My Mac IIsi and Quadra 800 won't even boot up

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had an AT or XT keyboard that I thought would be cool to use and it was horrid. I like big clunky keyboards, but this one predated cursor keys and you don’t realize how often you use cursor keys until they’re gone.

I think the AT’s came before the XT’s so it was probably the earlier one.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

when your home computer only had a 3.5" floppy drive but the game you wanted was only available on 5.25" discs :argh: but also :corsair:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Nothing like a steel frame keyboard that would break your toe if you dropped it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pastry of the Year posted:

when your home computer only had a 3.5" floppy drive but the game you wanted was only available on 5.25" discs :argh: but also :corsair:

I remember helping a girlfriend set up her new computer, but it only had a cd drive, so we had to go out and buy an external 3.5 drive because the internet software only came on floppy, and this brand new fancy laptop only had the cd drive.

Good thing she had money, as that was $150 bux.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The point of the PC Jr was that it was very, very important to IBM not to cannibalize sales of their full-price version. So the PC Jr had to be worse enough that people who had the money for a PC wouldn't buy it, but good enough so that people who didn't have that money wouldn't feel ripped off.

They missed.

[that_khaleed_guy_saying_a_thing.pcx]

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

Nothing like a steel frame keyboard that would break your toe if you dropped it.

Saw what I'm almost certain was an IBM M2 in a sorta-scrap heap at a factory and was severely temped to ask if I could just take it, but I was a lowly contractor and figured they'd just say no. :smith:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Krispy Wafer posted:

At least in the States, using food stamps or SNAP was never that complex. By the time they switched to refillable cards you could just swipe and go. Who knows what the heck his mom was doing.

Food stamps were originally hard paper bills with Thomas Jefferson on them. They had sharp edges and were surprisingly painful to count.
wic. wic is exactly that complex down to the paper checks because wic makes you have a little form that specifically says this piece of paper is for milk this piece of paper is for bread etc. everything that was described there sounds exactly like how the WIC system works to this day in 2019 because the WIC system only benefits poor women so making it a weird pain in the rear end to actually access and use for its intended purpose is a benefit to the government

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
LGR visited a famous computer shop/warehouse that is just full of crap for this thread.

https://youtu.be/rvM82T3C2Ik
Skip to about 13 min in if you want to avoid the preamble and just get to the place old PCs go to die.

Also this video about a SEGA digital camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2OLhp9Whp0
That you could attach it straight to your tv and broadcast was pretty nifty for the time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They missed.

Kind of like how Commodore brilliantly followed up the success of the C64 with the amazing C16 and the C+4.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

LGR visited a famous computer shop/warehouse that is just full of crap for this thread.

https://youtu.be/rvM82T3C2Ik
Skip to about 13 min in if you want to avoid the preamble and just get to the place old PCs go to die.

Also this video about a SEGA digital camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2OLhp9Whp0
That you could attach it straight to your tv and broadcast was pretty nifty for the time.

I love LGR so much. I wish he lived next door to me

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Groke posted:

Kind of like how Commodore brilliantly followed up the success of the C64 with the amazing C16 and the C+4.

It's hilarious how incompetent Commodore were. They were a bunch of sleazy conmen who got lucky with the C64 and then thought they were geniuses despite pissing away millions on designing machines whose only competitors were their own products. They only ever released two good machines - the C64 and the Amiga, one of which was a fluke and the other designed by an outside team. Meanwhile their list of failures: the C16, C128, Plus/4, Commodore 900, C64GS, C64 LCD, C65, Commodore PC, and probably a dozen others that never got off the drawing board.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sweevo posted:

It's hilarious how incompetent Commodore were. They were a bunch of sleazy conmen who got lucky with the C64 and then thought they were geniuses despite pissing away millions on designing machines whose only competitors were their own products. They only ever released two good machines - the C64 and the Amiga, one of which was a fluke and the other designed by an outside team. Meanwhile their list of failures: the C16, C128, Plus/4, Commodore 900, C64GS, C64 LCD, C65, Commodore PC, and probably a dozen others that never got off the drawing board.

My favorite was when Sun loving Microsystems approached them and said "Let us build Amigas under license and put SunOS on them" and Commodore (then lead by idiots, Jack Tramiel had been forced out earlier) said "No."

Friend of mine worked for GVP, a company that built peripherals for Commodore computers that Commodore itself refused to produce. GVP at one point was worth half of what Commodore was. He's got some good stories about how dumb Commodore became.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well to be fair, the Vic 20 was a cool machine also. Only thing wrong with it was that it was almost immediately obsolete, superseded by the mighty C64.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

He's got some good stories about how dumb Commodore became.
Either buy this man an account or :justpost:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I had a Commodore PET and then a SuperPET (6809 and a 6502 at a rocket-like 1mhz!!!) with ROMs for microPascal and microFORTRAN). Then I got access to a VAX and an exclusive dedicated terminal to a MicroPDP-11/83.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Post-Tramiel Commodore is a prime example of how a company can stay afloat for nearly a decade in spite of a management so bad you think they are getting paid by other companies to deep-six the company.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Should have had a mac, they only used 3.5 floppies. Of course you were also stuck playing whatever was popular enough on PC to get a port a year later. At least most of the 256 color Sierra era games got ported.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shibawanko posted:

I love LGR so much. I wish he lived next door to me

Yea, I wish we were friends and we'd hang out and talk about old computer stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I wish we were friends and we'd hang out and talk about old computer stuff.

And cook delicious sandwiches.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The flip side: I remember buying games (Earl Weaver Baseball in particular I remember) that came on 5.25 discs and the package had a coupon you could use if you wanted to buy the “upgrade” to the 3.5 version, which they would mail you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Triple A posted:

Post-Tramiel Commodore is a prime example of how a company can stay afloat for nearly a decade in spite of a management so bad you think they are getting paid by other companies to deep-six the company.

One of the stories about why Tramiel and Gould had their falling out is that Tramiel wanted to issue more stock so the company could pay off its debts, but that Gould refused to do it because Commodore's debt was held by companies that Gould also controlled.

So it's possible they literally were being paid by other companies to run it into the ground.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KozmoNaut posted:

And cook delicious sandwiches.

I'd pay him in sandwiches to frame the comic prints I have. That video of him fixing the Youtube Play buttons is very satisfying.

Also he introduced me to PushingUpRoses who is one of my absolutely favorite Youtubers.

I liked the video for the warehouse because he doesn't mentioning too many specific things but if you're observant, you can see stuff, like the zip drive just sitting there in a box, alone, or that IBM All in one which I'd never seen before.. Also just how varied computer cases are, and when the last time you saw a desktop that wasn't a tower case? I'm really curious to find out if the computer he got that was originally from Sierra works and if there anything interesting on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just in case you didn't know already, Clint has a cooking channel as well, which he apparently started to work on his video editing skills, and it sort of took off into its own little thing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9uUFDhsPYii-ZihoKsbPg

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Triple A posted:

No collusion! :chaostrump:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1155139839836262401

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Naw naw your fingernails are too neat, too trim. Anyone here got some grody rear end nails? Yeah yeah, those are perfect.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/AngelinaBabee/status/1154250520984317952?s=19

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Where the gently caress is the Nokia 8210 what a trash loving list!

9 because my mom walked into Radio Shack to browse and the register monkey saw a mark 10 seconds in. :bang:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mine was 4, too, but my mom had 1 and a bag phone before it, and dad had a Motorola cell phone installed in his ‘91 626 for some reason.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

My ex had a 4. I had a 12.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
6, 9

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nice

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

It was a landline. The kind that was on the wall with the tangled cable. You know the one.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Cell phones? About a 5-6 but it was more like a 3. Ma Bell was what I had until then. I think we were on pulse dial at my place in college in the 90's. I was a late adopter. Never wanted to spend the money. I think I got my first cell phone about 2003ish

Loved that phone. It was USWest branded, don't remember the manufacturer. It had a battery that lasted for days of talk time. I could drop it 15 feet to concrete and it would be just fine. The battery was so big that you couldn't fit it in your pocket. You had to keep it on your hip.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

blugu64 posted:

It was a landline. The kind that was on the wall with the tangled cable. You know the one.

bitchin’! Mine was a Fisher-Price

it had my dudes Grover and the Cookie Monster on speed dial. it ruled

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ericsson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

14, or the gas station prepaid cellphone version of it