Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

On an entirely different note, does anyone have any suggestions for rearranging my office?

Current layout:

It's not a lot of space to work with, tbh. How soundproof is the room?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

blarzgh posted:

On an entirely different note, does anyone have any suggestions for rearranging my office?

In this thread: people who don't have to factor "leaving myself an escape route" into their office setup.

(I kid, maybe you folks do; I don't know your lives.)

Also on my list of office setup considerations is "discouraging people from spending time in my office."

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
How could you post a pic without any square footage

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, which wall should I put the couch?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First thing I did with my current office is face the desk to the door . It’s huge

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

Also, which wall should I put the couch?

A+

If you'd like some serious suggestions, it'll depend on how often and when you use the bookshelf and filing cabinet (right now your filedrawer is next to where guests...presumably sit, which is a bit of a risk). who and how do you prefer to use the whiteboard?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
1) My computer screens are parallel to the door, and it looks down a hallway, so no one can see the screen until they actually come in the office.

2) Its a weird space because it used to be two tiny rooms, and now its one - I'm not measuring the goddamn thing.

3) All of the other furniture is pointless; any of it can go, but I've toyed with the idea of buying a couch and have never pulled the trigger (and probably won't)

But obv. this is the correct answer:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

A+

If you'd like some serious suggestions, it'll depend on how often and when you use the bookshelf and filing cabinet (right now your filedrawer is next to where guests...presumably sit, which is a bit of a risk). who and how do you prefer to use the whiteboard?

Never use the filing cabinet - its just for looks, and empty binders.

Use the bookshelf once/week, and would use it more often if I moved active hearing binders to it and off the top of the credenza.

Clients hang out in here about once a month for various things like depo prep, or reviewing interrogatory responses.

Edit: Use the whiteboard all the time b/c my brain is a lovely mess and drawing/listing things out is the only way to manage it

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Thanks for the thoughts.

Accepted the counter for a 15% raise and a reassignment between partners. I've either just negotiated myself into a good job or a terrible one.

Can't wait to find out.

Also, Blarzgh, lol if you don't have to climb over your desk to see what is on your monitor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Do you ever use the whiteboard in your office collaboratively, or to explain things to others?
Do you use your office for client meetings?

If you only use the whiteboard for yourself, my advice would bet to rotate the desk 180, swap the credenza and filing cabinet, and put a small round table (think 3 people) in the area across from your desk with some chairs that can be easily used for either seeing people across your desk, or together at the table.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Discendo Vox posted:

If you only use the whiteboard for yourself, my advice would bet to rotate the desk 180, swap the credenza and filing cabinet, and put a small round table (think 3 people) in the area across from your desk with some chairs that can be easily used for either seeing people across your desk, or together at the table.

I spent like 2 full years with a small round table in my office, and do you know what happened? PEOPLE SAT AT IT. The table encourages such behavior. Do not trust the table.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Flip the cabinet so it’s against the wall and/or just get rid of it and set your desk as close to the window as possible so you can stare wistfully and meditate on your life choices.

Seriously, though, windows, even with a lovely view, should not be taken for granted.

Also I have an L-desk and it’s great. Do you guys keep your computer monitor right in front of you or to the side? I hate having it to the side because it fucks with my neck but also if it’s in front of me it’s awkward when I have clients over?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Seconding all pro-window comments. You don't know how much you should value them until you don't have them.

The two creature comforts I fight for: windows, and a TV in my office so I can have the news on.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

blarzgh posted:

1) My computer screens are parallel to the door, and it looks down a hallway, so no one can see the screen until they actually come in the office.

2) Its a weird space because it used to be two tiny rooms, and now its one - I'm not measuring the goddamn thing.

3) All of the other furniture is pointless; any of it can go, but I've toyed with the idea of buying a couch and have never pulled the trigger (and probably won't)

But obv. this is the correct answer:

But without measurements how can we assess whether the stripping platform is up to code??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hoshi posted:

My PMs are open if you need any Excel tips bb :wink:

At this point the only thing I haven't done this semester was dive into VBA. I could add VBA to my final exam model for one class, but it's not really necessary.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

At this point the only thing I haven't done this semester was dive into VBA. I could add VBA to my final exam model for one class, but it's not really necessary.

Okay fine, what's your fanciest sumproduct? I'll judge on you that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hoshi posted:

Okay fine, what's your fanciest sumproduct? I'll judge on you that

haven't had to use sumproduct much. I've got a lot of offset action going on. Our final project is to build a decision making model for two different retirement plan options that have flexible inputs. We had to add random risk to simulate actual returns. I based mine entirely off of Vanguard's Target Year funds and related portfolios. Using a monte carlo setup I generated a five thousand different outcomes to make a cumulative frequency table that shows the range of predicted results based upon his inputs and a random market.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Roger_Mudd posted:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Accepted the counter for a 15% raise and a reassignment between partners. I've either just negotiated myself into a good job or a terrible one.

Can't wait to find out.

Also, Blarzgh, lol if you don't have to climb over your desk to see what is on your monitor.

Nothing stopping you from searching for a new gig in the meantime.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Can't wait to find out.

Retention bonuses are pretty standard in big law - I wouldn't fret it - if it turns out you still have to work for guy who sucks - you can always leave again.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

haven't had to use sumproduct much. I've got a lot of offset action going on. Our final project is to build a decision making model for two different retirement plan options that have flexible inputs. We had to add random risk to simulate actual returns. I based mine entirely off of Vanguard's Target Year funds and related portfolios. Using a monte carlo setup I generated a five thousand different outcomes to make a cumulative frequency table that shows the range of predicted results based upon his inputs and a random market.

Good on you, not shying away from offsets. Keep on exploring poo poo. Use index match over lookups for the love of loving god.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hoshi posted:

Good on you, not shying away from offsets. Keep on exploring poo poo. Use index match over lookups for the love of loving god.

oh yeah vlookup and such is depreciated and slow. One of my classes this semester has literally been excel: the class, so I've done some good work. Now I just need to find some sort of job.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kimsemus posted:

Seconding all pro-window comments. You don't know how much you should value them until you don't have them.

The two creature comforts I fight for: windows, and a TV in my office so I can have the news on.

I got force moved into an office with a window because apparently senior (lol) attorneys need to have windows. Our window offices are generally small, which the exception of attorneys who've been here for decades and finally secured a big office.
I moved from a giant inside office where I could do exercises and poo poo to an office I can barely fit my loving bike in. It sucks.

I do have not chairs, except my own, which does rock. Though you can do dips on our guest chairs.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

oh yeah vlookup and such is depreciated and slow. One of my classes this semester has literally been excel: the class, so I've done some good work. Now I just need to find some sort of job.

Getting good at Excel is basically the only way I'm better than any of my peers, and it's only because I put in the practice lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I need an excel class.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Excel owns. I miss my pre-law-school days of getting to make fun of people who used the mouse. Now I use it once a month and when I send something to junior associates they call me with questions like how to make decimals show as percentages.

If you want an Excel class, just unplug your mouse. Also vlookup is fine for small lookups though index/match/offset is definitely better.

And if you want to learn to make a financial model, pick any company you find interesting and challenge yourself to make a working 3 statement model. As you add detail to it and project it forward you’ll learn a ton.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Government law.

Edit: I missed "much much more lucrative." Do that unless you'd hate it.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 23, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you think you'll like making money and running the family business, why not? Don't not do a thing just because you've sunk a lot into another pathway. Who cares about prestige compared to doing something interesting and making good money doing it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hoshi posted:

Getting good at Excel is basically the only way I'm better than any of my peers, and it's only because I put in the practice lol

Every so often at my job I bust out an amazing spreadsheet and get asked how I got so good at excel, and need to come up with a lie on the fly to cover up the actual answer which is “from playing eve online”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My god why would you have tv news on

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Ani posted:

If you want an Excel class, just unplug your mouse. Also vlookup is fine for small lookups though index/match/offset is definitely better.

The keystroke culture was strong one of the places I interned but seemed to stop at Excel, no one was willing to commit to navigating everything that way which made me think they weren't that serious

Also yes lookups are fine in that they work as intended but people would also say that about macro recorder despite it being transparently garbage.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

If you think you'll like making money and running the family business, why not? Don't not do a thing just because you've sunk a lot into another pathway. Who cares about prestige compared to doing something interesting and making good money doing it?

Seconding this. No one gives a gently caress about "prestige" unless you plan to run for the Senate or you want to lateral into big law.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

Anyone ever resign, get a counter offer by current firm, and stay at current firm?

Does it ever work out?

I had a coworker do this and the second that profits dipped he was the first one axed

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

My god why would you have tv news on

I've always enjoyed the low-level noise when I'm in the mood for it, and just having it on in the background otherwise.

sincx posted:

Okay, advice needed.

:words:

It sounds like the real concerns are balancing during purely legal work/"prestige" versus earning more money in the family business.

Prestige is relatively worthless -- you can't bank it, spend it, pay your bills with it, and it mostly only matters to you. It might matter if you're going from one big firm to another, but I don't know.

The family business isn't so bad -- you can still be a cornerstone in your community, your legal training will still be useful, and there is something to be said to continuing the family business through generations. I never had that option -- consider yourself lucky in that regard.

Fail that, if you hate big law or the workload but still want OK money and still want to be a lawyer? Jump ship like I did, join government law. The fed is hiring like crazy right now and it's a good time to get in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Go work for yourself and make lots of money, law school really must have hosed your brain up if you are even debating this.

“Well I don’t like my job and I don’t make much money and my parents had to outsource the family business and lose out on income...but at least people know I’m a lawyer” is something nobody should ever think or say.

Pro tip: regular people think lawyers suck. Only other lawyers think anything of your “prestige” and it’s either (a) I’m better than that lawyer :smug: or (b) that lawyer is better than me and I’m a failure :smith:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kimsemus posted:

The fed is hiring like crazy right now and it's a good time to get in.

Lol yeah enjoy that labyrinthine hiring process.

Go make money and be happy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Staff generally respect lawyers I guess

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

The fed is hiring like crazy right now and it's a good time to get in.

Someone needs to file the deportation orders after all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

euphronius posted:

Staff generally respect lawyers I guess

The same way lawyers respect clients—need them to put food on the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pro tip: regular people think lawyers suck. Only other lawyers think anything of your “prestige” and it’s either (a) I’m better than that lawyer :smug: or (b) that lawyer is better than me and I’m a failure :smith:

Outside of legal culture, respect and pay seem to be inversely correlated. Working for a nonprofit in public interest law I frequently find myself introduced as "one of the good ones," endquote.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 23, 2019