Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

There's a settlement that needs your help.

*punt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

skooma512 posted:

Does it change his voice?

No, but you're in luck!

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40216

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I am now waiting for the third mod, by a third author, that ONLY fixes those 379 unfixed lines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

At long last, New Vegas has a new headmesh mod that can hang with the finest "dead eyed Waifu" material Skyrim and Fallout 4 can offer.
The Beloved Girls Race

There's obviously been dead eyed waifu mods for New Vegas before now, but this one finally puts it on parity with the later games.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That's a nice spatula.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nice hover hand on the nice spatula.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imagine if one of your eyes was the same size as your mouth.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You could bite people by blinking at them!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Got some bad pink eye there lady.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Of all the bullshit in fallout that every fridge looks like poo poo will never not be the one thing that bothers me

Mr house doesn’t even eat food how the gently caress did they let it get to that state what happened

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Furia posted:

Of all the bullshit in fallout that every fridge looks like poo poo will never not be the one thing that bothers me

Mr house doesn’t even eat food how the gently caress did they let it get to that state what happened

There you go.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, they're two hundred years old. It's kind of amazing enough that they're apparently still running, really.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, they're two hundred years old. It's kind of amazing enough that they're apparently still running, really.

Always thought that kind of thing was intentional, impressive old world engineering or whatever. Like how a goon found a weird 1950's television and worked first time plugging it in.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Always thought that kind of thing was intentional, impressive old world engineering or whatever. Like how a goon found a weird 1950's television and worked first time plugging it in.

When it comes to retrofuturistic stuff one thing about stuff from that era was that you wanted something that was going to last. Generally speaking if something like your TV broke you didn't go buy a new one. You went to the TV repair shop, bought a replacement part, or if it was particularly bad paid a handyman who knew TVs to do it. It was common for a teenager to buy a broken down car, fix it up, and then drive that as their first vehicle once they got their license. poo poo was built to last.

Part of it was necessity; a new refrigerator was a major purchase for basically everybody so people didn't expect to ever buy a new one in their lifetime.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When it comes to retrofuturistic stuff one thing about stuff from that era was that you wanted something that was going to last. Generally speaking if something like your TV broke you didn't go buy a new one. You went to the TV repair shop, bought a replacement part, or if it was particularly bad paid a handyman who knew TVs to do it. It was common for a teenager to buy a broken down car, fix it up, and then drive that as their first vehicle once they got their license. poo poo was built to last.

Part of it was necessity; a new refrigerator was a major purchase for basically everybody so people didn't expect to ever buy a new one in their lifetime.

Bro that's the opposite of built to last. Equipment that requires constant ongoing repairs - such as early TVs and most cars before the 80s - that ain't built to last, it's built to last 6 months. A lot of that was down to sheer lack of ability to build otherwise - both vacuum tubes and early transistorized devices are inherently low-lifetime parts for the average unit produced so if you didn't make it relatively easy for the local repair guy to fix, that thing would have to go in the trash very soon.

You also did in fact expect to need to buy whole new appliances quite frequently back then compared to now. Like there's a reason the average car on the road in America is nearly 12 years now - since the 80s cars both break much less and still maintain enough ease of repair for a mechanic's shop level of expertise that they can be put back on the road when parts wear down after 50,000 miles. The typical American cheap car of the 60s or 50s that someone fixed up as a teenage project car, the total lifetime you would expect out of that before needing a full scale motor replacement was on the order of 60,000 miles. Today it is not uncommon at all for the main components of a car to last well over 100,000 miles before major rebuild.

It's a matter of, in the old days most stuff broke fast and could be repaired relatively simply (in part because of designs that made things easy to repair also tended to be bad for long times before failure) because the only alternative build system that worked was "break slightly slower, but be very difficult to repair" which wasn't sustainable. Most modern equipment lasts very long times and by the time it does need a major repair you can get a replacement for about the same cost as the repair, or it breaks and its difficult for an amateur to repair with an Ikea toolbox, but there's 10 mechanics or appliance technicans in the surrounding area that can handle it in a day or two with standardized parts.

(also there's that whole thing where a lot of very old electronics that sat around will work just fine NOW because they didn't rack up a big service time while they were new, but 99 others of the same model were used up and tossed out by the time you got your one working unit from Grandma's basement, you know?)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In all fairness, things were also just generally less sophisticated or integrated. When you try to open a car workshop these days, half your equipment is computers and licensed softwares that let you actually troubleshoot all the onboard electronics, which as least partly computerized in many cases. Old stuff isn't necessarily more made to last, but it's definitely easier to maintain.

Like, it's a lot easier to fix (or even build from scratch) a classic shortwave radio even with only a high school understanding of electronics than it is to fix an iPod if one of the solid-state integrated circuits has given up the ghost.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's also just a matter of stuff like, at the time steel was the cheapest material they had to manufacture a lot of that stuff and steel it turns out is extremely durable. Plastics aren't nearly as tough but are a lot cheaper, so we mostly use that now for things that never had to be that resilient in the first place.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

fishmech posted:

The typical American cheap car of the 60s or 50s that someone fixed up as a teenage project car, the total lifetime you would expect out of that before needing a full scale motor replacement was on the order of 60,000 miles. Today it is not uncommon at all for the main components of a car to last well over 100,000 miles before major rebuild.

What skews the perception is that the cars (or other device) we find that massively exceeded this lifespan are the only ones we see. We don't see the vast piles of 60s cars that blew out a motor and went to the junkyard, because those have all been converted to raw material by now. We DO see the handful of babied cars that lasted 200,000 or 300,000 miles, and don't instinctively think "these are the lucky ones, the ones that lasted."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
One of my favorite examples is that, people will straight up find a nearly brand new car from 50-60 years ago in an old barn or warehouse. Where the guy who had originally owned said car had stored it nice and neatly in a relatively nice environment, took it out for occasional scenic drives or something, but otherwise it wasn't getting hit by the elements. Then they die or they just get too old to use it and car guys come out to buy that car and it's like bam, some nice 60s convertible that only has 9,000 miles on it in 2015. Usually they're a bit dusty, need a battery swap, and you might need to give the engine a full clean-out just in case before you drive them, but they're otherwise fine. Like this guy who had a decent chunk of wealth and spent a lot of it on collecting Ford Thunderbirds on his property: https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/michigan-life/more-than-50-classic-cars-found-hidden-inside-grand-rapids-barn/69-292108984

It's not that different from how you find random weird cahces of pristine pre-war tech in Fallout tiles really....

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

fishmech posted:

One of my favorite examples is that, people will straight up find a nearly brand new car from 50-60 years ago in an old barn or warehouse. Where the guy who had originally owned said car had stored it nice and neatly in a relatively nice environment, took it out for occasional scenic drives or something, but otherwise it wasn't getting hit by the elements. Then they die or they just get too old to use it and car guys come out to buy that car and it's like bam, some nice 60s convertible that only has 9,000 miles on it in 2015. Usually they're a bit dusty, need a battery swap, and you might need to give the engine a full clean-out just in case before you drive them, but they're otherwise fine. Like this guy who had a decent chunk of wealth and spent a lot of it on collecting Ford Thunderbirds on his property: https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/michigan-life/more-than-50-classic-cars-found-hidden-inside-grand-rapids-barn/69-292108984

It's not that different from how you find random weird cahces of pristine pre-war tech in Fallout tiles really....

Except that you find nonsensical amounts of valuable/useful prewar stuff sitting in the open on every other shelf (or in obvious containers) despite the centuries of scavengers and raiders and whatnot that visited or even made a base in any given derelict building, yet somehow nobody ever bothered to open half the closets.

Obviously a lot of it is just bad game design reinforcing the "explore aimlessly: get rewarded with loot, explore thoroughly: gotta wash down steroids with beer to get +5 stremf to carry home all this crafting junk"

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 25, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Try disabling the ludonarrative dissonance mod

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Can I get a luchanarrative dissonance mod

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Except that you find nonsensical amounts of valuable/useful prewar stuff sitting in the open on every other shelf (or in obvious containers) despite the centuries of scavengers and raiders and whatnot that visited or even made a base in any given derelict building, yet somehow nobody ever bothered to open half the closets.
It made contextual sense in the first and second Fallout games, because those were respectively set at a point of time where a: society in a small number of isolated places had only just started to come together again after human civilization's total collapse, or b: set long enough after that for some of small nuclei of civilization to have banded together and formed something resembling a proper nation state again, but for large parts of the world to still be abandoned wilderness that is only populated by mutated abominations and small numbers of the most primitive of roving tribes.

It really makes distinctly less sense in a game that is set at least yet another 150 years after even the second one.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 3 at least outright says the Capital Wasteland has only just become vaguely livable about eighty years prior.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Obviously a lot of it is just bad game design reinforcing the "explore aimlessly: get rewarded with loot, explore thoroughly: gotta wash down steroids with beer to get +5 stremf to carry home all this crafting junk"

Everything being empty everywhere would be completely and utterly boring

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Magmarashi posted:

Everything being empty everywhere would be completely and utterly boring

worked in the first two

and, uh, arguably it worked in daggerfall, but now I'm on the verge of creating my own alternate retro-future, where "open world" videogames developed very differently

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Magmarashi posted:

Everything being empty everywhere would be the bad game design, and completely utterly boring

I don't disagree. Maybe there's another option besides having either miles-and-miles of nothingness or miles-and-miles of irrelevant stuff.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

rip off the Total War games with an overworld clicky map that expands to detailed first-person terrain in towns, random encounters, etc

sorry, sorry, I'll stop myself

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doc Hawkins posted:

rip off the Total War games with an overworld clicky map that expands to detailed first-person terrain in towns, random encounters, etc

i get it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

worked in the first two

and, uh, arguably it worked in daggerfall, but now I'm on the verge of creating my own alternate retro-future, where "open world" videogames developed very differently
The first two games are only empty in the sense that there's a lot of empty map space that you can theoretically enter for immersion purposes, but you're not really supposed to. Arcanum did the same thing - you can theoretically stop at a random spot and enter the wilderness map, but there's never actually anything there. The actual maps were pretty well-itemized in both games and there's something neat or useful to discover in really more or less all of them.

I'm personally kind of amused how much more dilapidated the Fallout 3 and up maps end up looking compared to the typical Fallout 1+2 maps. Even in the first game, most places you go that have people in them are fairly recently built. Of scrap, in many cases, but there only the worst places are the kind of rubble-strewn, bombed-out shells that Bethesda's entire game world seems to be made of. Mostly, people in the old games seemed to have done the reasonable thing with wherever they settled: they made the place at least minimally livable again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shady Sands was only like decades after and they more it less had their poo poo together and were building new stuff, but Bethesda apparently paid attention mostly to the raiders, super mutants, and the anesthetic of Junktown

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

In fairness to Bethesda, the Capital Wasteland was supposed to have been just short of glassed, as the primary political target for Chinese nukes. It kinda makes sense that everything was reduced to rubble.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Birthright The Gorgon's Alliance?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It made some sense in Fallout 3 for things to mostly be ruins. I forget where it's explained but the DC ruins had only recently become not irradiated enough so it was mostly random assortments of people living in whatever was still standing. Even so it's pretty stupid that you had people not even bothering to so much as nail a board over a broken window or pick up a loving broom or something. Fallout 4 suffered even more from that given that the Commonwealth was supposedly still habitable basically the entire time. Parts of it were abandoned and falling apart but you'd think that people that had enough gumption to get a farm set up would also have enough gumption to build themselves better sleeping conditions than a sleeping bag in what used to be a building. If the roof is gone then maybe at least hang a tarp up or something? I dunno.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Right, it's easy to forget how small in scale Fallout 3 is, compared to the first two games. It takes place entirely in a particularly ruined part of one particularly ruined city. Not necessarily very entertaining to look at after a while, but you can see how it makes sense for it to be a bit homogenous about it.

It makes a bit less sense for the next two to look exactly the same.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It doesn't take much traveling outside Vegas or Boston to see some real rundown pieces of poo poo right now, and that's without nukes messing things up :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
some of the piles of stuff you encounter in a rando locker could be someone else's stash of items they had to quickly hide or some poo poo, too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To repeat a point I made in the Steam thread, the Commonwealth has a (tiny, tiny) justification for things staying lovely because the Minutemen were toppled and the Institute began encroaching on the place alongside ever-present raiders and mutants. When you do visit population centers, they're all in pretty good shape. (Bunker Hill seems a bit too shabby I guess.)

But even then something like Diamond City, which is doing extremely well by Fallout standards, still has most of the original stadium seating going unused or in total disrepair for basically no good reason at all.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Stadium seating is apparently prohibitively expensive, even in the future post apocalypse.

Some say... someone out there has the legendary season tickets marking them as The Chosen One.