Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
More 90's CD fun

I worked at the college radio station back in the mid 90's. We used to get tons of free samplers like this.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters showed up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Catherine were pretty good, as far as Smashing Pumpkins imitators go. Shame that they only had two albums.

e: First video of theirs that I saw. The clown parts struck a weird chord with me back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6vaa2cEEw

Darthemed has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jul 18, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, they bringing back Rockos Modern Life. On Netflix..

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

The week of the 18th of July 1994 saw two separate banjo-themed dance tunes in the UK singles top ten - The Grid with "Swamp Thing" at number four and 2 Cowboys with "Everybody Gonfi-Gon" at number eight. If you like, you can look for other extremely silly UK chart hits here.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

This was announced in 2017 along with the new Hey Arnold movie. The Hey Arnold movie did air in 2017. This was originally also going to air on Nickelodeon but it never happened. I wonder why it ended up on Netflix and why it took so much longer?

The previews made it look pretty bad though. Lots of “lol smartphones” type jokes.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This was announced in 2017 along with the new Hey Arnold movie. The Hey Arnold movie did air in 2017. This was originally also going to air on Nickelodeon but it never happened. I wonder why it ended up on Netflix and why it took so much longer?

The previews made it look pretty bad though. Lots of “lol smartphones” type jokes.

There was a new teaser trailer and release date recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gq9dR2V3_Q

I saw the Hey! Arnold movie and it's as much as a "gently caress it! wrap all story lines!" movie there is. I mean every story line or plot or theory. Wrapped up!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHI_TemTawM

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

There was a new teaser trailer and release date recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gq9dR2V3_Q

I saw the Hey! Arnold movie and it's as much as a "gently caress it! wrap all story lines!" movie there is. I mean every story line or plot or theory. Wrapped up!

Oh right, I forgot this exists now. Loved the poo poo out of Rocko growing up and this animation looks pretty convincing. I'll give it a watch, I guess.

So I'm guessing Arnold met his parents and hooked up with Helga? Because I can't think of any other dangling plotlines from that show. I didn't watch it yet. I think I'm mostly just relieved it finally got produced.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So I've heard. I didn't even have nickelodeon when Rocko was new, came to it much later.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jollity Farm posted:

The week of the 18th of July 1994 saw two separate banjo-themed dance tunes in the UK singles top ten - The Grid with "Swamp Thing" at number four and 2 Cowboys with "Everybody Gonfi-Gon" at number eight. If you like, you can look for other extremely silly UK chart hits here.

Man I know we gave the world Achy Breaky Heart and the Macarena but you guys have some seriously gonzo poo poo, like the musical equivalent of spotted dick and haggis.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wacky Delly posted:

So I've heard. I didn't even have nickelodeon when Rocko was new, came to it much later.

I glanced down reading the last post and thought your name was part of your post.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ugh. I used to love Kevin Smith’s stuff as a teen in the late 90s and early aughts, but goddamn is that cringey. Haven’t gone back to his old stuff in a while and probably shouldn’t.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ugh. I used to love Kevin Smith’s stuff as a teen in the late 90s and early aughts, but goddamn is that cringey. Haven’t gone back to his old stuff in a while and probably shouldn’t.

It looks exactly like they used to, nothing has changed. Only difference is I'll watch this at home while getting high instead of getting high and watching it in the theater.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croatoan posted:

It looks exactly like they used to, nothing has changed. Only difference is I'll watch this at home while getting high instead of getting high and watching it in the theater.

:same:

I still enjoy most of his other movies, so I'll probably like this one.

Only weird thing is Kevin is one of those fat dudes who manage to lose the weight and end up looking worse, regardless of how much healthier he is. He looks like a cancer patient or some poo poo.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Spoeank posted:

10 year old me had a well worn version of this bad boy

Just a couple of days ago I found the Spanish version of the '98 edition of this thing. It was like seeing my own grave.

e:

¡Oficial!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Randaconda posted:

:same:

I still enjoy most of his other movies, so I'll probably like this one.

Only weird thing is Kevin is one of those fat dudes who manage to lose the weight and end up looking worse, regardless of how much healthier he is. He looks like a cancer patient or some poo poo.

I think it's because he went on a crash diet. It's like those people that get the surgery that staples their stomach to make it smaller and then they lose weight like a rock. They always look messed up.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's because he went on a crash diet. It's like those people that get the surgery that staples their stomach to make it smaller and then they lose weight like a rock. They always look messed up.

He had a massive heart attack a year or two ago and it was either lose some weight of die a fat gently caress so he chose the former. But yeah, he looks way worse. What's even worse than that is that instead of putting his talentless wife in all his movies now he's putting his talentless daughter.

uli2000 has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jul 19, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s the Clerks 3 trailer:

https://i.imgur.com/pPDGTEN.mp4

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He just wants a high-five.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I showed my gf the South Park movie since she'd never seen it and we noticed it was on Netflix and drat is that some 90s lode right there. From Bill Clinton to Saddam as the main antagonist it's a great film with great songs but boy is the setting dated as hell.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jojoinnit posted:

I showed my gf the South Park movie since she'd never seen it and we noticed it was on Netflix and drat is that some 90s lode right there. From Bill Clinton to Saddam as the main antagonist it's a great film with great songs but boy is the setting dated as hell.

I re-watched Beavis and Butthead do America and it's a pretty sweet 90's bomb as well.

It's got Clinton (bonus appearance by Chelsea), references to an overzealous ATF, 'Hollywood Dream Couple' Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, etc...

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jul 25, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Both those cartoons own and are good.

:colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1153807275032625155?s=21

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DizzyBum posted:

So I'm guessing Arnold met his parents and hooked up with Helga? Because I can't think of any other dangling plotlines from that show. I didn't watch it yet. I think I'm mostly just relieved it finally got produced.

Actually yeah. There's a whole plotline about kids in the jungle who are in some sort of self induced magical coma...but whatever. Meets parents and Helga confesses love.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cartoon Man posted:

Both those cartoons own and are good.

:colbert:

No argument from me on that.

My favorite running joke is the Robert Stack ATF agent constantly forcing people to correct their grammer, OR ELSE.

I just finishing the Talking Simpsons mini series on the First Season of King of the Hill, god drat I forgot how good that season was, how strong it started. It's also a great slice of late 90s American Suburbia.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

probably about the size of an old ipod hard drive platter, checks out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jojoinnit posted:

I still love that stupid film a lot :allears:.

And probably know the drat soundtrack by heart.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

also the bill gates cameo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfsr8BBdA8

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

No argument from me on that.

My favorite running joke is the Robert Stack ATF agent constantly forcing people to correct their grammer, OR ELSE.

I just finishing the Talking Simpsons mini series on the First Season of King of the Hill, god drat I forgot how good that season was, how strong it started. It's also a great slice of late 90s American Suburbia.

"That guy...off in whose camper they were whacking?" kills me every time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's actually a fair few uncredited cameos in that film. George Clooney's the doctor that operates on Kenny, off the top of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSr211EM98I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Conan was always upset they didn't ask him to be in the South Park movie as himself, he would have more than happily made fun of himself.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Conan was always upset they didn't ask him to be in the South Park movie as himself, he would have more than happily made fun of himself.

But isn't that the South Park policy or have they also gone the Simpsons way? No celebrity voices, or uncredited, or at best credited but without actual lines? (Dog etc).

I also remember that the guy who played Worf in Star Trek would have loved to do South Park but was not asked.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Der Kyhe posted:

But isn't that the South Park policy or have they also gone the Simpsons way? No celebrity voices, or uncredited, or at best credited but without actual lines? (Dog etc).

I also remember that the guy who played Worf in Star Trek would have loved to do South Park but was not asked.

Ironically they had way more celebrity cameos in their early seasons than later on. I guess it's due to some combination of them getting a reputation for pissing celebrities off, and just not wanting to bother with scheduling. It does still happen occasionally though (Elon Musk).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I wouldn't be surprised if they borrowed that prop from Escape from LA

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Ironically they had way more celebrity cameos in their early seasons than later on. I guess it's due to some combination of them getting a reputation for pissing celebrities off, and just not wanting to bother with scheduling. It does still happen occasionally though (Elon Musk).

The weirdest being Robert Smith. Trey loves The Cure, and the lead singer was happy to do it.

eminkey2003 has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jul 24, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

eminkey2003 posted:

The weirdest being Robert Smith. Trey loves The Cure, and the lead singer was happy to do it.

Celebrity Deathmatch, which is a whole wonder of the 90's in of itself, is another big case of "would've happily guest-voiced if asked" for a lot of the roles.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

eminkey2003 posted:

This episode introduced 14-year old me to The Cure. It's still one of my favorite bands.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"I can't let Barbra Streisand do this to the world."

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

The FORD/FIAT joke in the first episode still cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PhotoKirk posted:

The FORD/FIAT joke in the first episode still cracks me up.

Dale being a paranoid conspiracy nut when that was cute and not at all scary.