Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
All I know is I got a bunch of potato seeds and a book on what animals and plants are good to gather and hunt so I am prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shima Honnou posted:

All I know is I got a bunch of potato seeds and a book on what animals and plants are good to gather and hunt so I am prepared.

Lol the rich still own all the land and will gladly shoot regugees

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shima Honnou posted:

that this was the bonafide D&D solution was funnny as heck

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Lol the rich still own all the land and will gladly shoot regugees

By then I will be more potato than man and unstoppable

Xaris posted:

I know lol, come the gently caress on of course we won't forget how to grow potatoes, the loving planet is the one that's going to forget.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
They can't keep AC window units in stock in Anchorage, the water in one of the salmon streams just hit 80 degrees and we've had about 5 days of light rain in the past two months.

Someone made a new bumper sticker to commemorate this awful summer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

By then I will be more potato than man and unstoppable

I know lol, come the gently caress on of course we won't forget how to grow potatoes, the loving planet is the one that's going to forget.

the irish potato famine happened because the irish spontaneously forgot how to grow potatoes one day

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

this is the real punchline:

Squalid posted:

I'm finishing a Masters in natural resources

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
We like to think of potatoes as Irish food but do you know who else loved potatoes?

That's right. :ussr:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

vyelkin posted:

the irish potato famine happened because the irish spontaneously forgot how to grow potatoes one day
they should have hunt+gather until they remembered

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They probably didn't have any handbooks about it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i love that there is people that think they'll just become wood hermits and live off the land as if their some loving genius and no one else has had the same idea. where the gently caress are most people going to go to forests untouched by human hands where there's actually stuff to live off, and how are you going to walk halfway across the country to the tetons or rural canada from arizona or w/e. most northeast forests are relatively developed and don't have much animals to eat, and there is very little berries or mushrooms to eat. sierras are almost a wasteland

also most of them will have burnt down in 30 years, and the bottom of the food chain like insects n poo poo are dying off so even less mammals n stuff to kill. only a small portion can eat all the buffalo n elk n bears in yellowstone and then that'll go extinct quickly--assuming they can even get there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
100% of the remaining humans are going to live off the estimated 4% of wild animals remaining. :downs:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i'm very good at stardew valley. it's ez pz

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i will live in the remaining oak forests untouched by sudden oak death. i will hunt the wild mushrooms, armed with only my wits and opposable thumbs against the nefarious cunning of the fungal kingdoms. when beleaguered travelers come across my mushroom kingdom and see me on my throne of mycelium they will weep, finally understanding that they are dying of their own hubris and greed. my fungal attendants will slowly grow around them, absorbing their nutrients and memories for preservation in my burgeoning mycorrhizal worldsoul.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao @ people thinking they can wilderness survival in a climate change civilization collapse scenario

the wilderness ecosystem is going to look like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

i love that there is people that think they'll just become wood hermits and live off the land as if their some loving genius and no one else has had the same idea. where the gently caress are most people going to go to forests untouched by human hands where there's actually stuff to live off, and how are you going to walk halfway across the country to the tetons or rural canada from arizona or w/e. most northeast forests are relatively developed and don't have much animals to eat, and there is very little berries or mushrooms to eat. sierras are almost a wasteland

also most of them will have burnt down in 30 years, and the bottom of the food chain like insects n poo poo are dying off so even less mammals n stuff to kill. only a small portion can eat all the buffalo n elk n bears in yellowstone and then that'll go extinct quickly--assuming they can even get there.

Sounds like the best course of action is to ambush and eat the people that think they can live off the forests becoming a cautionary folk tale of skyborne obese men who descend from the trees to prey upon the malnourished.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dream9!bed!! posted:

it's really hard to work when the data of the last few pages is occupying your head. like, gently caress your analytics dude, there's not gonna be any more birds

couple keys to work through it

1) give yourself a few days to digest it, it's gonna gently caress you up

2) do not regularly read this thread, these guys love working themselves into a downward spiral until they're openly fantasizing about mad max hellscapes

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Yinlock posted:

2) do not regularly read this thread, these guys love working themselves into a downward spiral until they're openly fantasizing about mad max hellscapes

hey, whoa, i'm not on a downward spiral. i'm circling on the bedrock

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oh no!!!!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

remember when the worldwide recession of 2008 caused co2 emissions to dip by 2.5% and we have to double that year over year to maybe kinda sort of avoid complete catastrophe.

lol

Number must go down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

It's cool being from a farming family on both sides so I have like a half dozen family farms to retreat to if things get bad, one has sheep, a few have guns, one is a potato farm, etc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you aren't constantly f5ing this thread what is even the point of being alive??????

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

remember when the worldwide recession of 2008 caused co2 emissions to dip by 2.5% and we have to double that year over year to maybe kinda sort of avoid complete catastrophe.

lol

Has anyone run the numbers on how much closing the Persian gulf will drop co2 when no middle eastern oil can get anywhere

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I keep thinking about the opening scenes of Interstellar. Anyone remember that movie?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lol

What you're saying is that we get to look forward to unseasonably cool weather ~37.5 years after the recession thanks to the delayed effect.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

if people knew the story of their own lives how many would then elect to live them

Definitely not me!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I keep thinking about the opening scenes of Interstellar. Anyone remember that movie?

Whenever I think of our crappy future I either think of Mad Max like blood baths or those scenes. I dunno what it says about me that orgies of violence and a world where the education system pushes people to become farmers instead of scientists or engineers and out right lies to children to do so via legitimizing stuff like the moon hoax are equally scary to me.

Whenever I start screaming my head off about not wanting to spend my life digging in the dirt, it's Interstellar that I see.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jul 24, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

It's cool being from a farming family on both sides so I have like a half dozen family farms to retreat to if things get bad, one has sheep, a few have guns, one is a potato farm, etc

Potatoes to hunt, sheep to gather, this guy is ready to rock.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Where they admit they faked the moon landing

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

this is the real punchline:

I'm kindof glad that post was memorable because it was always meant to be absurd, and point out the ridiculousness of apocalyptic thinking. I'm sort of confused as to what people think my intentions were. "We will be able to grow potatoes in the future" is not exactly a high bar to expect humanity to clear. It's meant to point the absurdity of survivalist fantasies from the other direction of those here saying its impossible because there's not enough elk, its also ridiculous because regardless of how many elk there are it will always be easier to grow and eat plants.

AceOfFlames posted:

Definitely not me!

Whenever I think of our crappy future I either think of Mad Max like blood baths or those scenes. I dunno what it says about me that orgies of violence and a world where the education system pushes people to become farmers instead of scientists or engineers and out right lies to children to do so via legitimizing stuff like the moon hoax are equally scary to me.

Whenever I start screaming my head off about not wanting to spend my life digging in the dirt, it's Interstellar that I see.

Yinlock posted:

These two posts together nicely illustrate why I felt it worthwhile to make the point that there's no scientifically grounded argument for human extinction scenarios. People like AceOfFlames literally have panic attacks thinking about purely fictional depictions of the end of the world. Even worse, racists like Rime use those same fictional stories as a justification for starving and killing the world's poor. Like Yinlock pointed out there's nothing productive in these misanthropic fantasies, and we shouldn't mistake eschatology for climate science. Just because bad things are possible doesn't make them inevitable.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Two things.
1. Michigan sucks and I don't look forward to migrating there when we start abandoning entire states.

Yinlock posted:

Lmao

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

"haha people won't forget how to grow potatoes" says man pushing seed potatoes into infertile soil

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Xaris posted:

It all stems from the same inability to consider future consequences that created the problem in the first place, no on wants to consider 350 million people trying to subsist on depleted land so they just don't think it through

I talked with a Greenpeace guy outside the grocery store who wanted me to donate to a campaign to keep plastics out of the ocean, he got really mad when I told him that it was too late and that no amount of petitions are going to stop the great dying and human extinction. I would have thought an ardent environmentalist wouldn't be so opposed to contemplating our mortality, but I guess it's just too much for anyone to take

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Gonna move to the forest. Stay there when it burns. Die warm.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

Once you leave Michigan you're dead to me until you come back.

If you live right on the border of Michigan, you're like a skeleton that keeps dying and reanimating every time the necromancer in the next room paths within range.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

It all stems from the same inability to consider future consequences that created the problem in the first place, no on wants to consider 350 million people trying to subsist on depleted land so they just don't think it through

I talked with a Greenpeace guy outside the grocery store who wanted me to donate to a campaign to keep plastics out of the ocean, he got really mad when I told him that it was too late and that no amount of petitions are going to stop the great dying and human extinction. I would have thought an ardent environmentalist wouldn't be so opposed to contemplating our mortality, but I guess it's just too much for anyone to take

really if these issue are just a matter of faith for you i don't know why you wouldn't pick a religion that encourages positive feelings rather than nihilism. I understand its difficult to deal with uncertainty, but nobody is capable of knowing the future, definitely not anybody itt.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
the number of people in his thread or in DND that are worried about climate survivalism is kinda cute. much like the Irish potato famine most fatalities are not gonna be from starvation itself. they are gonna get evicted from some place, end up homeless, and will die of typhus or dysentery in a ditch somewhere, covered in their own feces and vomit.

meanwhile the more well off will drive by pitilessly in their fancy cars, because if you have money every necessity of life will still be available in abundance at this early stage.

edit: I should say genuinely worried about survival. my maggot farm plan is above criticism

edit2: if you want ideas for how this works just read the landlords.txt thread.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Jul 24, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Squalid posted:

really if these issue are just a matter of faith for you i don't know why you wouldn't pick a religion that encourages positive feelings rather than nihilism. I understand its difficult to deal with uncertainty, but nobody is capable of knowing the future, definitely not anybody itt.

someone who's ostensibly going to grad school in the sciences: we cannot extrapolate outcomes based on evidence

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i hope squalid's degree is high in fiber because its only use to him is going to be as a last-ditch nutrient source

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

someone who's ostensibly going to grad school in the sciences: we cannot extrapolate outcomes based on evidence

there is no evidence of impending human extinction. AceOfFlames's over there is not hyperventilating about mohawked raiders forcing him to till the soil based a rigorous study correlating hairstyle with global temperature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ace of flames is gonna end up being the mohawked raider and commiting so many horrific crimes