Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't get too excited yet, Quibi is that new nontraditional short-form network that's meant to capture Gen Z, so episodes are going to be like 3 minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Aja is good. I like his Hills Have Eyes remake quite a bit. Gonna check out Crawl this weekend.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

VHS1 is a great seed of an idea that mostly works (the glitch killer is unwatchable imo) and 2 runs with the idea and is an all timer anthology. VHS3 is... different? But I think I still like it? I’d probably have a different answer to this every day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Don't get too excited yet, Quibi is that new nontraditional short-form network that's meant to capture Gen Z, so episodes are going to be like 3 minutes long.

One the one hand, Quibi as a thing sounds horrible. but on the other hand that format is perfect for Tomie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Hills Have Eyes is Aja's best I think(haven't seen Crawl yet). It has the same intensity that put him on people's radar with High Tension, but without any of the problems it had with the ending and just the whole last third not being nearly as good as the rest. The way The Hills Have Eyes gradually transitions from the super graphic and disturbing violence to the fist-pumping revenge stuff is extremely well done. I consider it to be one of the best horror remakes ever, especially among the more modern ones(so not The Thing, The Fly, The Blob, etc).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Aja is also capable of directing some pretty bland stuff like Mirrors.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The Hills Have Eyes is Aja's best I think(haven't seen Crawl yet)...I consider it to be one of the best horror remakes ever, especially among the more modern ones(so not The Thing, The Fly, The Blob, etc).
wtf HHE isn't even the best horror remake by Aja

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Rutger Hauser passed away today. Guess it's time to see if The Hitcher is streaming anywhere.

RIP.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I think The Hills Have Eyes is better but regardless they're very hard to compare because their so different from each other in tone.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Class3KillStorm posted:

Rutger Hauser passed away today. Guess it's time to see if The Hitcher is streaming anywhere.

RIP.

I think I'm gonna watch Hobo With a Shotgun in his honor

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Chiming in with love for the first two V/H/S films. I'm a big enough dork to own them both on vhs! I totally hate the third one though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've conflated a bunch of ABCs of death with some VHS i think. i forget sometimes which bits are in which (apart from VHS1 i mostly remember that one).

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Chiming in with love for the first two V/H/S films. I'm a big enough dork to own them both on vhs! I totally hate the third one though.

i also remember the third being the worst one.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think I'm gonna watch Hobo With a Shotgun in his honor

Same.

Wanted to chime into the V/H/S debate. I'd argue that it's a specific species of horror, and it's divisiveness comes from it's voyeuristic aspect.

There's a raw meanness, a trashy spitefulness that colors the first two films (won't see #3) that both authenticates the found footage premise but also easily turns people off.

But it also really, really makes the whole thing believable. It has the real feeling of being shot by dumb teenagers and horrified bystanders. There are no heroes, no protagonists or antagonists, just supernatural events weaved together with a filmsy paper-thin plot.

It's very similar to the Blair Witch Project, if you dug that's it's a good litmus test for the series. If you're the sort of person who's ever watched someone undress unknowingly in front of a window, V/H/S is for you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If you're the sort of person who's ever watched someone undress unknowingly in front of a window, V/H/S is for you.

Uhhh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If you're the sort of person who's ever watched someone undress unknowingly in front of a window, V/H/S is for you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Trailer for the new Fred Durst directed John Travolta movie The Fanatic is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MAXrDhFoWk

Comes out next month.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Class3KillStorm posted:

RIP.

gently caress, Blade Runner takes place in 2019 so the actor playing Roy Batty dying in 2019 is poetic.

RIP.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Class3KillStorm posted:

Rutger Hauer passed away today. Guess it's time to see if The Hitcher is streaming anywhere.

RIP.

The Hitcher is a great, hosed up movie made 10x more hosed up by the real life stuff that happened after it.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Harminoff posted:

Comes out next month.

That looks like exactly the kind of trashy I'd expect from Fred Durst

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Didn't he go to jail for killing those people?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blast Fantasto posted:

The Hitcher is a great, hosed up movie made 10x more hosed up by the real life stuff that happened after it.

What happened after it?

Harminoff posted:

Comes out next month.

This actually doesn't look like total poo poo, I'm surprised. I mean... I guess I'll see it.

sigher fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 24, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

s.i.r.e. posted:

What happened after?

Eric Red, the writer of The Hitcher (and several other movies involving vehicular homicide) killed two people in a fatal car accident where he crashed into a crowded bar. Allegedly on purpose.

Wikipedia posted:

Red was found to be at fault in a car accident that caused two deaths after he allegedly lost consciousness and crashed his truck into a crowded bar in Los Angeles on May 31, 2000. After the accident, Red apparently exited his vehicle and attempted suicide by slitting his own throat with a piece of broken glass.[6] Red survived the incident, was taken to the hospital under an alias and was released weeks later. No criminal charges were brought against Red, but a jury in a civil suit awarded monetary damages. The suit, which awarded over a million dollars to the families of the two men killed in the accident, was appealed to state and federal courts, which confirmed the original jury finding.

Read this LA Weekly article on it, which covers the whole thing including a bunch more hosed up stuff.

https://www.laweekly.com/death-race-2000/

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've conflated a bunch of ABCs of death with some VHS i think. i forget sometimes which bits are in which (apart from VHS1 i mostly remember that one).

ABC's of Death is rough because there are some legitimately great shorts included in the anthologies, but holy gently caress do you have to crawl through a mile of poo poo to find it.

I'm quite fond of "K Is For Knell"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCibKB-87QU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tart Kitty posted:

ABC's of Death is rough because there are some legitimately great shorts included in the anthologies, but holy gently caress do you have to crawl through a mile of poo poo to find it.

I'm quite fond of "K Is For Knell"

Between the one with the child rape and the other with the stomping a kitten to death, I felt it's not worth sifting through that kinda thing for any gems.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Between the one with the child rape and the other with the stomping a kitten to death, I felt it's not worth sifting through that kinda thing for any gems.

Fortunately most of the worthwhile ones are available as standalone Youtube clips, so you don't have to. But I don't know if I've ever seen like, a definitive list of the "good" shorts anywhere to go by.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BrendianaJones posted:

That looks like exactly the kind of trashy I'd expect from Fred Durst

s.i.r.e. posted:

This actually doesn't look like total poo poo, I'm surprised. I mean... I guess I'll see it.
Fred Durst actually turned into an okayish director!

Population 436 was good!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blast Fantasto posted:

Eric Red, the writer of The Hitcher (and several other movies involving vehicular homicide) killed two people in a fatal car accident where he crashed into a crowded bar. Allegedly on purpose.

Read this LA Weekly article on it, which covers the whole thing including a bunch more hosed up stuff.

https://www.laweekly.com/death-race-2000/

Jesus christ that's hosed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1154162529804926976

It's gotta be Freddy, right? Nobody has as many good movies or as many cheeseball movies. Jigsaw has 1 good movie, Pinhead 2(ish), Jason 1 at best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone who picks Jigsaw is a criminal.

But I'm going with my boy Jason.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's Jason

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah it’s gotta be Freddy or Jason. Not sure how Jigsaw got in there.

That would be like save one: Denzel, Sam Jackson, Lawrence Fishburne or Omar Epps

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone who picks Jigsaw is a criminal.

But I'm going with my boy Jason.

:same:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah it’s gotta be Freddy or Jason. Not sure how Jigsaw got in there.

That would be like save one: Denzel, Sam Jackson, Lawrence Fishburne or Omar Epps

Except in the context of horror you’d be picking in vain

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jason.

he's a good boy, always listens to mother

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's Freddy or Pinhead for me. Love my dream ghosts and hellbois

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The real question is when you have to choose between Freddy from Freddy's Dead, Pinhead from Hellraiser Revelations, or Uber Jason.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Origami Dali posted:

The real question is when you have to choose between Freddy from Freddy's Dead, Pinhead from Hellraiser Revelations, or Uber Jason.

smashing the Uber Jason button so hard I destroy the voting machine and my hand

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jason

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like they didn’t want to put Michael Myers in there because that’d be the obvious save so they threw in Jigsaw. Should be Leatherface at least though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Flight 7500 is a dull mess of a movie.