Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Was thinking if they wanted to at least explain Millarc's actions in the concert attack than They could have the concert attack be done on the orders of Fudo in exchange for blood

That feels too small in concept to be worth that trade especially since they show they can steal from whatever hospitals that have it. As Millaarc stated in the episode, she considers them family so I feel it is more a deal for safety/to find a place to call their own/to no longer be hunted and persecuted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I think Milaarc is just a psychopath who enjoys killing people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought she was a Frankenstein, not a Vampire

She is clearly a robot.

E: The coolest of fictional monsters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She's got rocket punches so she's automatically the best

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely getting the impression that Millaarc has nominated herself as her team's designated war criminal. She feels like she's decided that she's definitely a monster, but her friends don't have to be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I think Milaarc is just a psychopath who enjoys killing people.
Presumably the attack was on grand dad's orders to get under Tsubasa's skin, as that's just about the only way I feel they can try to justify mercing that one girl in such an over the top way. Which if they do go that route I'm not sure how I feel about that because, it's still just way too much of a crazy amount of death for them to go "well it was under orders, so...". It's never like, been a huge problem but how cavalier Symphogear has often been with civilian casualties has always bothered me to a certain extent.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Presumably the attack was on grand dad's orders to get under Tsubasa's skin, as that's just about the only way I feel they can try to justify mercing that one girl in such an over the top way. Which if they do go that route I'm not sure how I feel about that because, it's still just way too much of a crazy amount of death for them to go "well it was under orders, so...". It's never like, been a huge problem but how cavalier Symphogear has often been with civilian casualties has always bothered me to a certain extent.

It wouldn't be enough to justify Milaarc, like, suddenly being everyone's friend in 6 eps or whatever, but it's enough to make me feel at least a little bad for her if we assume Evil Grandad is coercing her.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

She might pull a Finé, and get redeemed by dying.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I busted up laughing when I realized Chris was channeling Revolver Ocelot in her transformation and then doing Gun Kata with her new revolvers.

https://imgur.com/14IRPEG

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
We finally have a payoff to everyone looking uncomfortably at one another over hearing that Tsubasa's granddad literally collaborated with the Nazis for relics.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really hope that this is all leading to Racism being the True Final Boss

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Racism defeated by singing lesbians with guns and swords

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest it's hard to watch this show after the villains just killed 70,000 people and also a little girl.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's as many as 23 9/11s. and that's terrible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

To be honest it's hard to watch this show after the villains just killed 70,000 people and also a little girl.

Hey there were probably many little girls in that 70000.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

It's consistent. Symphogear villains have always been nightmarish atrocity monsters, and they always devote at least one scene to showing why. In S1, Fine was behind all the Noise(who violently butchered an entire stadium just like this and Hibiki's first transformation happened while they were butchering an entire town), in G, the FiS were behind all the Noise, in GX the Autoscorers murdered people to fuel themselves and Carol's final plan involved explicit apocalypse and showed tons of people getting annihilated, and in AXZ Saint-Germain's entire schtick for most of the show was literally reciting how many people she had murdered for her goals every time she murdered someone.

I guess the major difference is that none of those massacres were ever for quite as seemingly petty of a reason.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 25, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For FIS they also made it painstakingly clear that they were horrified by any incidental casualties, and even then it was always Dr. Ver since he had the cane. Maria did kill some US Agents in self-defense but they were also attacking innocent people and even that broke her up.

The Autoscorers are such non-characters that they don't seem even have the remotest of concepts of morality, they are just interesting looking machines with sharp teeth. You could/should argue that Carol is the exception but she doesn't really get redeemed by the end unless you count Elfnein. Either way (also partly because GX is just kind of a mediocre season) you never feel the compulsion to feel sympathy for Carol and the autoscorers. It's fine for them to remain monsters because that's what they are.

XV seems to, at least initially, be trying to strike this balance of making the trio sort of sympathetic in that they "want to be seen as human", are shown visibly suffering from some kind malady, and ostensibly need Fudou's help to like survive for whatever reason. So it strikes this sort of uncomfortable balance with all of the above and the single biggest on-screen tragedy in the entire show and I hope they make it land by the end because as-is I just don't know.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Also it's been said but I'm kind of flabbergasted at how they've managed to keep the animation quality up so long this season. I got used to the "Ep 1 will be absolutely amazing and then it will throttle back a bit" but it feels like they're pulling out all the stops this time.

Nate RFB posted:

The Autoscorers are such non-characters that they don't seem even have the remotest of concepts of morality, they are just interesting looking machines with sharp teeth. You could/should argue that Carol is the exception but she doesn't really get redeemed by the end unless you count Elfnein. Either way (also partly because GX is just kind of a mediocre season) you never feel the compulsion to feel sympathy for Carol and the autoscorers. It's fine for them to remain monsters because that's what they are.

XV seems to, at least initially, be trying to strike this balance of making the trio sort of sympathetic in that they "want to be seen as human", are shown visibly suffering from some kind malady, and ostensibly need Fudou's help to like survive for whatever reason. So it strikes this sort of uncomfortable balance with all of the above and the single biggest on-screen tragedy in the entire show and I hope they make it land by the end because as-is I just don't know.

I guess XV's massacre hasn't shocked me quite as hard because I recently rewatched S1 and the massacre in XV is very deliberately meant to parallel the one in S1.

It's pretty traditional for Symphogear to give its villains some sort of sympathetic edge. The FiS were obviously trying to save the world in their own way. Carol was given a fair amount of screentime showing her innocent times with her father(which she literally burned the memories of to fight), and one of the primary characters was an identical clone of Carol who was effectively Carol-But-Not-Evil. In AXZ they even stopped to give Saint Germain a significant flashback about her horrible childhood to explain her motivations and contextualize them.

Thankfully, it's also traditional in Symphogear for rear end in a top hat mass murderers to get punished no matter how sympathetic they are. Pretty much the only accessories to mass murder in Symphogear who have ever survived their crime are FiS, who were largely being kept in the dark and used as child soldiers instead of being direct instigators and still received consequences, and Dr. Ver, who got thrown into a magic underwater gulag for his crimes and died later anyway. I'm entirely sure the Monster Girl Trio aren't going to walk away from what they've done, no matter how tragic their backstory.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 25, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Dr Ver ftw

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know if the show will follow up on this or not but there was a really good shot of Miku looking quite aghast at the news reporting of the casualties, then to her overhearing Hibiki's bubbly telephone conversation*, almost with a "how can you be so cheerful / how is this just accepted as normal" sort of reaction.

*It was tell her mother that she was still alive though so it'd be make sense that she'd try to cheer her up

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know if the show will follow up on this or not but there was a really good shot of Miku looking quite aghast at the news reporting of the casualties, then to her overhearing Hibiki's bubbly telephone conversation*, almost with a "how can you be so cheerful / how is this just accepted as normal" sort of reaction.

*It was tell her mother that she was still alive though so it'd be make sense that she'd try to cheer her up

Yeah I don't really think that was the angle at all. Putting on a front and not letting her hurt show has been a part of Bikky's character since day one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like every season Hibiki and Miku's apartment gets bigger to the point I genuinely thought they just had a house now until I saw the bunk beds were still there which reminded me it was the apartment still.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I really do wonder why anyone keeps going to those concerts when nothing but bad poo poo keeps happening at them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I really do wonder why anyone keeps going to those concerts when nothing but bad poo poo keeps happening at them.

She had a good concert midway through S1! And I don't think anyone died at her shows in G (FIS specifically promised not to harm anyone as long as they all played ball with their announcement, and kept to it) or GX (attack happened after the show).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I kinda get the idea that people in Symphogear's world are a lot more risk prone. Something like the Noise - a nigh-invincible threat that appears out of thin air and seemingly has no other purpose than to kill as many people as it can find - would probably collapse the economy and drive people into hiding in real life, never mind not going to Death Concerts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the Noise were dealt with at one point. And this is the first time the Alca Noise were able to really do damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the Noise were dealt with at one point. And this is the first time the Alca Noise were able to really do damage.

I don't know if Joe Citizen really differentiates between Noise and Alcanoise or even knows that the Noise were (very temporarily before someone started mass producing them again within months) dealt with.

The Alcanoise have caused a shitload of destruction and death, we just haven't seen them visibly dust people as much. AXZ opened with them being used as weapons in a civil war that was apparently severe enough that the UN sent SONG to intervene, and the various villains with Alcanoise have used them to level huge swathes of cities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Didn't the news reports say the damage was caused by a terrorist bombing? It sounds like they're hiding the alca-noise from the public.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wasn't expecting powered up form this episode but its welcome. Also looks like the main plot is gonna be SONG vs the government with what ever the heck Fudou is as the main bad

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I'm begining to think that Noble Red might turn Face after all. They've already been pretty soundly beaten and Fudou's already seemingly revealed himself both to the audience and the Gears.

Very curious to see what next episode brings.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Of course she has chest missiles, of course. Hibiki's covering-her-eyes-but-not-really reaction was great though.

The shot of Vanessa reflected in Maria's sword-whip after the parry was awesome. This season looks so good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can't believe Miku's going to become a villain because Hibiki can't stay faithful even in a fight. :negative:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This is my favorite episode so far, and I like that Saint Germaine at least gets to sort of come back, since the AXZ alchemists felt a bit short changed in their own season. Still don't know how Milaarc is going to get redeemed, though.

Maria also has the coolest attacks, and I noticed that her transformation had the season 1 silhouette thing as well. Her song this season is on par with her AXZ song, too.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 27, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Maria also has the coolest attacks, and I noticed that her transformation had the season 1 silhouette thing as well.

They're all supposed to have that, it's just been trimmed from a few because of runtime concerns IIRC. Gonna be back in the BD releases.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
So Kanade stand for Tsubasa during the finale then???

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Noble Red made such good underdogs this episode I almost forgot about the whole tens of thousands dead thing. Interrupting Hibiki's song with landmines got a laugh out of me so I'm willing to cut them some slack. Though I imagine Tsubasa is going to have some opinions about teaming up with them.

Wait, what if that drives Tsubasa to temporarily join grandad? I can kind of see it with the way her arc has developed so far.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the maria transformation was so good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Easily my second favorite after Bikky's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like how important music seems to be as like a theme again. It always kind of has been but never as much as in season 1, and it was a really strong part of season 1 too.

Also, just based on first impressions Amalgam seems cooler than Ignite