Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VostokProgram posted:

You'd trust your data to that crap? .458 SOCOM or bust

.458 Lott-a little bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Those all lack the repeatability of a good hydraulic press.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I prefer a more sedicious approach. I keep a list of known peadophiles in my area. Obtaining information on them using a mixture of legal and illegal means.

Then, when I've finished with a hard disk I just click format in Windows, head over to a paedophile's, knock on the door and offer them the disk for free.

A week or two later and I assume that anything I had on that disk pales into comparison. I call it social steganography.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

A week or two later and I assume that anything I had on that disk pales into comparison. I call it social steganography.

"But your honor, apropos man gave me the drive!"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

snip

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I got the Crucial drive today. Plugged it in with the SATA III and one of the daisy-chain plugs from the in-use power cable, and it worked! Bless the machine spirits! :pray:

Got the drive formatted as MBR, and it looks like I can start adding files, so I guess I can start transferring over game installs and whatnot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seen it earlier in the thread, SSDs running Bitlocker. I understand the need/desire for encryption, but limiting SSD performance wholesales is an interesting choice, too. Too bad Windows 10 doesn't support automounting of virtual disks on its own (you can create and attach them in Disk Manager, without needing the Hyper-V stuff installed), because that's a nice compromise. I'm running a Bitlocker VHDX as "safe storage".

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seen it earlier in the thread, SSDs running Bitlocker. I understand the need/desire for encryption, but limiting SSD performance wholesales is an interesting choice, too. Too bad Windows 10 doesn't support automounting of virtual disks on its own (you can create and attach them in Disk Manager, without needing the Hyper-V stuff installed), because that's a nice compromise. I'm running a Bitlocker VHDX as "safe storage".

Don't a lot of SSDs come with native hardware-based encryption that'll make the performance impact of stuff like bitlocker negligible?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Geemer posted:

Don't a lot of SSDs come with native hardware-based encryption that'll make the performance impact of stuff like bitlocker negligible?

That is the opal spec and, as you might expect from a hard drive manufacturers that have almost zero security training or discipline, is dogshit garbage that leaks key material all over the place and should not be used and actively disabled in favor of software encryption

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

That is the opal spec and, as you might expect from a hard drive manufacturers that have almost zero security training or discipline, is dogshit garbage that leaks key material all over the place and should not be used and actively disabled in favor of software encryption

Figures. I'd just hoped they'd got their act together after that report came out that blasted every single one of them for being terrible.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

With an eDrive/TCG Opal drive, there's no performance impact. Whether you trust the manufacturer's implementation is another question.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

The performance impact is simply not noticeable to me, and running unencrypted isn't an option.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Isn't an option because job, or because paranoia?

Lambert posted:

With an eDrive/TCG Opal drive, there's no performance impact. Whether you trust the manufacturer's implementation is another question.
I don't think on-device encryption can fulfill the sequential transfer rates that sequential IO can deliver. If a high-end x86 CPU with hardware AES can't do it, surely not those ARM SoCs on SSDs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't think on-device encryption can fulfill the sequential transfer rates that sequential IO can deliver. If a high-end x86 CPU with hardware AES can't do it, surely not those ARM SoCs on SSDs.

Most modern SSDs are always encrypted, even when you're not using eDrive. They absolutely can.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't want someone to be able to steal my data is the reason, so paranoia I guess?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lambert posted:

Most modern SSDs are always encrypted, even when you're not using eDrive. They absolutely can.
Interesting.

Also, seems I was off by a bunch of GB/s in how fast desktop CPUs do it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why would you say that? It’s not the ARM core doing the encryption, it’s a dedicated hardware block.

Also it may surprise you to know that in virtually all SSDs made the past several years, the on-device encryption is on all the time. The only difference between enabling TCG Opal and not is whether the ssd attempts to secure the main encryption key. If security is enabled, to unlock the drive the host must provide a password which the drive hashes and salts to derive the Key Encryption Key, or KEK. The KEK is then used to decrypt the Drive Encryption Key (DEK), the key used to encrypt and decrypt user data. While Opal is off the drive just stores the DEK in clear text (no KEK) and auto unlocks itself on power up or wake from sleep.

Encrypting all the time has real benefits, which is why they do it. One is fast secure erase: destroy all copies of the DEK and you’ve effectively destroyed all user data. Another is that the output of good crypto looks like random noise, and modern flash media is a sufficiently non ideal storage medium that this is desirable (less chance of long runs of 1s or 0s or other patterns that might be more error prone).

E:f,b

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just got a couple of the Corsair MP600 Gen4 SSDs in :getin:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Move over RGB SSDs, there's a new God in town

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/team-group-cardea-liquid-cooled-m.2-nvme-ssd,40016.html

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like What? How does that help cooling other than increase specific heat capacity marginally instead of dumping it?? Please use our special sauce not tap or distilled water.

Point for not being the SSD that cooks itself with the RGB turned on....

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Fun fact: nand runs better at elevated temperatures due to the way it needs to do quantum tunneling

It's the controller that needs heat removed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I believe they generally have a hardware xor engine if they're opal drives

Malcolm XML posted:

Fun fact: nand runs better at elevated temperatures due to the way it needs to do quantum tunneling

They were also playing with embedding heating elements in the nand chips because if you sufficiently heat cell that's reached its write endurance you can refresh is back to a usable state

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 26, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Malcolm XML posted:

So basically you should just put a Raspberry Pi heatsink on the controller chip of most SSDs and leave the NAND untouched so it heats itself to health? So this liquid cooled SSD is technically bullshit for cooling down all the chips, not just the controller?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
No, the idea is you want the controller heat to be transferred to the NAND. More of a heat spreader, than a heat sink.

Liquid cooling is fine but probably way over-engineered.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

So basically you should just put a Raspberry Pi heatsink on the controller chip of most SSDs and leave the NAND untouched so it heats itself to health? So this liquid cooled SSD is technically bullshit for cooling down all the chips, not just the controller?

monsterzero posted:

No, the idea is you want the controller heat to be transferred to the NAND. More of a heat spreader, than a heat sink.

Liquid cooling is fine but probably way over-engineered.

The Adata SSDs that I like (or at least specifically the SX8200) come with a simple heat spreader specifically for that purpose. The performance and price are good and the free heat spreader in the package is a nice touch on top of that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Binary Badger posted:

So this liquid cooled SSD is technically bullshit

Like many products targeted at Xtreme Gamers, it's 90% bullshit based on something that is true but only matters in benchmarks. Controller throttling from overheating is not a constant problem in real world situations, and definitely isn't worth putting a waterblock on the SSD for.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Absolutely need a liquid-cooled SSD so World of Warcraft Classic can stream in Ragnaros in Molten Core as fast as possible.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

coke posted:

https://www.cinema5d.com/whats-inside-a-red-mini-mag-the-controversy-jarred-lands-statement/

lol the tech bro CEO is really doubling down

and lol @ selling the 480GB msata ssd (341 on newegg) for $1450

their camera naming scheme and marketing always seemed obnoxious too

He's not a tech bro. More like a tech dad with smug Oakleys on.

This guys videos are getting weirder. Trying to simplify some basic computer concepts seems to have made the message harder to interpret but whatever. Looks like this guy is going to take Red to the grave if he has to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWtyplOMKA

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

Like many products targeted at Xtreme Gamers, it's 90% bullshit based on something that is true but only matters in benchmarks. Controller throttling from overheating is not a constant problem in real world situations, and definitely isn't worth putting a waterblock on the SSD for.

Don't underestimate the desire of manchilds to become the next LTT

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 is $84.99 today only at NewEgg with promo code EMCTCVE22

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 29, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Also it may surprise you to know that in virtually all SSDs made the past several years, the on-device encryption is on all the time.

Its not just SSDs... Some external hardrive brands (WD in particular) use encryption on-board the USB-SATA adapter inside the drive casing, even if it was not specifically enabled. So if this adapter board dies, your data on the still working hardisk is now inaccessible.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I wouldn't trust the on drive encryption. https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/395981/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Palladium posted:

Don't underestimate the desire of manchilds to become the next LTT

LTT made an SSD RAID array that was so rear end-backwards that he needed professional recovery services from single failures. Being LTT seems like a low bar.

Malcolm XML posted:

I wouldn't trust the on drive encryption. https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/395981/

Don't trust on-drive encryption if you want to protect against the NSA, law enforcement, or people who can extract data directly off chips. I think it's pretty trustable for the average worry of protecting personal info in the event of a laptop being stolen or something like that.

Also secure erase by deleting the key is still fine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Klyith posted:

Don't trust on-drive encryption if you want to protect against the NSA, law enforcement, or people who can extract data directly off chips. I think it's pretty trustable for the average worry of protecting personal info in the event of a laptop being stolen or something like that.

Also secure erase by deleting the key is still fine.

The key material can often be pulling from simple jtag commands. If you're deploying gear for business where your IP is valuable, it's worth thinking about as well. I'll agree that it doesn't matter too much for most instances of personal systems since the theft will be motivated by the value of the hardware itself and not whats on it, but this isn't a small step above script-kiddie level of difficulty.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Klyith posted:

LTT made an SSD RAID array that was so rear end-backwards that he needed professional recovery services from single failures. Being LTT seems like a low bar.

I can't tell or bother to look up if LTT deliberately does dumb poo poo just for the attention it would get . They obviously know it does and I'm sure they have deliberately done stuff but how much of it is accidental vs purely contrived? I'm leaning towards contrived since there's no way his entire staff are that dumb.

Linus: Here's a guy that knows fabrication and used to build dune buggies and poo poo
LTT: shows dude making a heatsink that looks like cat food
Linus: this is so cool it's the best we can do!
:rolleyes:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

I mean, the thing you linked to shows drives that are not affected by this specific issue and drives that are patched

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WhyteRyce posted:

I mean, the thing you linked to shows drives that are not affected by this specific issue and drives that are patched

The point is that manufacturer crypto implementation is a black box that:
1) most importantly, is almost certainly logically flawed
2) less importantly, has state backdoors

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

Ok so dump your Intel and AMD platforms while you are at it too

Assuming that just because that one product is broken and therefore all are broken and that companies can't improve and learn is off

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 29, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I starting writing a post to explain the difference between software and hardware and the fundamental issue with this type of hardware encryption implementation from companies where the functionality is secondary to their core business but I'm just going to say: lol dipshit

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I starting writing a post to explain the difference between software and hardware and the fundamental issue with this type of hardware encryption implementation from companies where the functionality is secondary to their core business but I'm just going to say: lol dipshit

The core function is to sell a product to consumers. Big customers who care about certain features or just force it to happen and demand things work and will drop their business with you if you blow raspberries in their face. When things like this break you can be sure that someone's rear end is getting chewed out and that same chewed up rear end is then bitching out the engineering managers who are then forced to figure out how this happened and what they do to improve it. You can remain paranoid your entire life of everything and that's fine but don't assume things will never get better or companies don't have any reason to ever fix things or any incentive to do things right

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Potato Salad posted:

Based on the quality of the code going into basically everything these days, I'd trust manufacturer provided/accelerated/TCG OPAL about as far as I can throw the SSD like a little ninja-star. That is to say 'ahahahaha, no'.

There was a great research paper linked in this very thread where they managed to bypass bitlocker entirely by reading the SPI bus between the TPM chip and the rest of the mainboard. The full key was sent over the bus plaintext, which is super duper useful for anyone who managed to forget thier password, at least. Pre-boot pin is almost as important as having your windows password be something other than 'sex' 'god' 'password' or 'buttslol'.

If your job has enough secrets that you could feasibly attract the attention of state actors, why the gently caress is it anywhere where you could misplace it, and why is it attached to the internet at all?