Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But look, the Spanish title rhymes!

Secret Agent Pink Panther is setting off on a globe-trotting adventure because of whiny spoiled children.

He is going to learn about assassination attmepts, burial rites, dictators and more - all by talking to colourful characters, and reading the game's built-in encyclopaedia.

Like a true American, Pink mocks local customs and commits sacrilege every step of the way.

PtP has a sequel, Hocus Pocus Pink, but it's missing the best character from this game, it's partially rhyming, and completely insane (borderline Dementia levels, released the same year). Although, it's amusing to see a kids game teach about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Anyways, off we go:

The sequel, Hokus Pokus Pink, is even more terrifying and poorly designed.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I played this game so much when I was a kid. Loved the French part.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
You didn't waste any time starting a new LP.

Was that always Pink Panther's voice? It's been many years, but he sounds really weird.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I had a Finnish dub version of this but it was very finicky to get working on most computers. The whole thing is like a stereotype of well-meaning edutainment games made in that very brief span when they were a thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OK, yeah, I am extremely down with Snarky Right-Click Narrator Man.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's get to the real edutainment part of the show without delay.

Today, Pink takes off his pants in front of a parent of one of the kids in his care.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

If the encyclopedia entries were all in one block at the end, I probably wouldn't read them, as opposed to occasionally getting mild enjoyment from them talking about mad cow disease like it's still a thing, or about how boxing day is the day you give gift boxes to public servants, like that's even a thing anyone currently alive ever did.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Hey you should post in the New LPs thread so I don't have to find out about this from youtube and then have to dig around the LP subforum to find the thread!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Polsy posted:

If the encyclopedia entries were all in one block at the end, I probably wouldn't read them, as opposed to occasionally getting mild enjoyment from them talking about mad cow disease like it's still a thing, or about how boxing day is the day you give gift boxes to public servants, like that's even a thing anyone currently alive ever did.

:canada:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

EasilyConfused posted:

Was that always Pink Panther's voice? It's been many years, but he sounds really weird.

I'm reeling from the fact that he has ANY voice.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH I CAN'T HANDLE THE NOSTALGIA YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I played with a brazilian portuguese dub which was really good. Never tried playing the sequel because I was afraid it wouldn't be as good as this.

AweStriker posted:

I'm reeling from the fact that he has ANY voice.

Yeah I thought that was weird too when I was first played it, but I was never that into Pink Panther. Was he ever voiced somewhere else besides these games?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The '90s animated series had a talking Pink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkqvDJ-kuB4

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
As a non-American, the "football" exchange never made sense to me as a kid way back in the day. Now it does, and I instinctively felt the need to reach through the screen and slap Panther around some.

I'm very disappointed our snooty narrator didn't quip about how US folk insist on calling Football a game that's neither played primarily with the feet, nor with a ball. :colbert:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sounds like I need to learn more about the countries of the world.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This game sure is peak 90s humor. "All the kids are equal! :rolleyes: And so diverse! :rolleyes:" And then the bit about the newspaper guy wearing a skirt behind the counter.

They really leaned into the hooker thing, didn't they!

Edit: Why do the words "Mucky Duck" not fit on the sign?

Solumin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 26, 2019

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Solumin posted:

This game sure is peak 90s humor. "All the kids are equal! :rolleyes: And so diverse! :rolleyes:" And then the bit about the newspaper guy wearing a skirt behind the counter.

I kept waiting for the inevitable and lazy "lol naw he's actually just a Scotsman" punchline, but the game swerved me by actively excluding the possibility once you talk to him. they were too lazy even to feebly paw at the lowest hanging fruit, for shame

that said, I like that little girl from India; she's got moxie and would make a more interesting protagonist than the Ugly Pink-merican imo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Watching this LP is starting to turn the age of my youtube recommendations back a few decades.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think the weirdest thing about this game is that it doesn't let you walk freely.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It reminds me a lot of the Spy Fox games, but with less polish.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kangra
May 7, 2012

THE NILE
DATES
PIGEONS

Keep doing the encyclopedia bits, as it's great to see what keywords they choose for it.

Is there a fursuit in every chapter? That bit in England was bizarre, since it suggests that the chambermaid outfit must have had its own pink panther legs attached to it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm about halfway through this episode and christ this game is obnoxious. Does it ever get better? Or more interesting?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Solumin posted:

I'm about halfway through this episode and christ this game is obnoxious. Does it ever get better? Or more interesting?
It's a mid-90s edutainment game.

What does your heart tell you?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It seamlessly transitions from mocking Chinese opera into a badly dubbed martial arts movie at some point in the future.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

It's a mid-90s edutainment game.

What does your heart tell you?

That I would have loved it when I was a kid in the mid 90s.

SelenicMartian posted:

It seamlessly transitions from mocking Chinese opera into a badly dubbed martial arts movie at some point in the future.

This is perfect.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A portrait of a happy family.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Click the furry link.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

Click the furry link.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for cutting down on time spent in the encyclopedia. However:

Fish Noise posted:

Click the furry link.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Fish Noise posted:

Click the furry link.

Do it you coward

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I click the furry link.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I don't think I'll ever get used to the game just randomly busting out into musical numbers.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
It's weirdly irritating that the bicycle's wheels are the right shape to be in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen. I want to fix the video's aspect ratio, but I know it's already in the right one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

quote:

In the 1990s, Bhutan expelled or forced to leave most of its ethnic Lhotshampa population, one-fifth of the country's entire population, demanding conformity in religion, dress, and language. Lhotshampas were arrested and expelled from the country and their property was expropriated.
Let's see how the game covers that

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In time, in Bhutan, homosexuality was finally decriminalized this year, a few decades too late for the archer and Pink (assuming Pink identifies as male).

I want to know what the mysterious fourth country that borders Bhutan is. Perhaps it'll be explained in the big Indian musical number that we'll get soon.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This man is drinking. This man is drinking. This man is drinking. This man is drinking.
What is this, Dwarf Fortress?

I guess this episode's whole budget went towards hiring They Might Be Giants for the musical number at the end.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

"That's a healthy heap o' dung!"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I don't know what's worse.

No really I have no idea what's worse in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Solumin posted:

I don't know what's worse.

No really I have no idea what's worse in this.