Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

ringu0 posted:

Criterion does the thing:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1154440404042997761

FILMS IN THIS SET
Godzilla 1954
Godzilla Raids Again 1955
King Kong vs. Godzilla 1963
Mothra vs. Godzilla 1964
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster 1964
Invasion of Astro-Monster 1965
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep 1966
Son of Godzilla 1967
Destroy All Monsters 1968
All Monsters Attack 1969
Godzilla vs. Hedorah 1971
Godzilla vs. Gigan 1972
Godzilla vs. Megalon 1973
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 1974
Terror of Mechagodzilla 1975

Coming soon, available Oct 29, 2019

I’m kinda miffed that it has the first film in it too. Hate to double dip on the same version of the same movie. Besides that, I’m freakin pumped for this set to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m kinda miffed that it has the first film in it too. Hate to double dip on the same version of the same movie. Besides that, I’m freakin pumped for this set to come out.

I'm debating if I wanna sell it or give it to a friend.

I really hope the rumored Kurosawa box set is next, since I can sell all my individual movies to off set the price.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I finally got a 4k TV and decided it was time to start a bit of a Blu-Ray collection instead of stealing everything. Despite owning a PS4, I've yet to watch a BluRay at home, but now that I've got a 4k TV I went ahead and purchased a UHD player as well.

Imagine my sadness when I realised that region locking is still a thing in 2019.
But then I was happy to see that UHD is not region locked!
But then I was sad when I read that special features on UHD discs might not be 4k and won't play if not in my region.
Then I got more sad when I realised how few 4k movies there are.

I didn't want to go nuts with a collection like I did DVD but thought I'd get the filmographies of the likes of Nolan, Tarantino, Anderson, Coen's etc. I was stoked to see the first title I searched for (Royal Tenenbaums) got the Criterion treatment. Then I realised all Criterion stuff is Region A. Resigned myself that I'd just have to get a normal Blu-Ray only to discover that it doesn't appear to be on Blu Ray at all in Australia.

gently caress this poo poo. No wonder people pirate.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Looten Plunder posted:

So I finally got a 4k TV and decided it was time to start a bit of a Blu-Ray collection instead of stealing everything. Despite owning a PS4, I've yet to watch a BluRay at home, but now that I've got a 4k TV I went ahead and purchased a UHD player as well.

Imagine my sadness when I realised that region locking is still a thing in 2019.
But then I was sad when I read that special features on UHD discs might not be 4k and won't play if not in my region.

I didn't want to go nuts with a collection like I did DVD but thought I'd get the filmographies of the likes of Nolan, Tarantino, Anderson, Coen's etc. I was stoked to see the first title I searched for (Royal Tenenbaums) got the Criterion treatment. Then I realised all Criterion stuff is Region A. Resigned myself that I'd just have to get a normal Blu-Ray only to discover that it doesn't appear to be on Blu Ray at all in Australia.

I don't have a 4k set up yet but I'm scared of buying a film and then there being a 4k release sometime down the line.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Looten Plunder posted:

If you're Australian, spend $69 at Big W or JB for the Laser blu ray player. It's multiregion and works like a charm, aside from a relatively lovely remote.

Also, as much as I'd like to blame rights fuckery on why catalog titles don't get re-released on blu here, it's probably just a factor of the market being miniscule here.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

If you're Australian, spend $69 at Big W or JB for the Laser blu ray player. It's multiregion and works like a charm, aside from a relatively lovely remote.

Also, as much as I'd like to blame rights fuckery on why catalog titles don't get re-released on blu here, it's probably just a factor of the market being miniscule here.

Looks like I'll be going from 1 Blu Ray Player to 3!

Aren't they one and the same though? If it wasn't for rights fuckery, the market might be bigger. And if you aren't going to bother catering to such a small market, at least allow those in it to purchase their titles from other markets.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Looten Plunder posted:

Looks like I'll be going from 1 Blu Ray Player to 3!

Aren't they one and the same though? If it wasn't for rights fuckery, the market might be bigger. And if you aren't going to bother catering to such a small market, at least allow those in it to purchase their titles from other markets.

For catalog titles, new scans are licensed out a fair bit - so I've always taken it that if a new remaster or scan doesn't appear locally, it's a cost benefit thing. Criterion's new Police Story/2 scans are licensed in the UK by Eureka, so it's not an exclusivity thing (similarly Criterion have started releasing stuff in the UK, so it's not purely a matter of region rights). It sucks, especially given that we have JB and Amazon and that's about it for physical media here.

Going region free is the easiest way to enjoy physical media, though. I don't regret many, if any, of my Criterion (or Arrow, Twilight Time, Vinegar Syndrome, 88, Severin, Kino, Flicker Alley, etc etc) purchases, because generally they're decent value for money even with our terrible dollar. Nothing beats free, but the actual packages, features and other stuff make it worthwhile. Keep an eye on deals and sales and you'll be set!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

I don't have a 4k set up yet but I'm scared of buying a film and then there being a 4k release sometime down the line.

Blu ray is an old enough format now that you can get a pretty decent collection going and never spend more than $10 for a blu ray. Like, sure maybe Grand Budapest Hotel gets a UHD sometime but if I want to own it now I'm not really all that concerned about spending the $10 because really how many times do you have to watch a $10 blu ray to get your money's worth out of it?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Basebf555 posted:

Blu ray is an old enough format now that you can get a pretty decent collection going and never spend more than $10 for a blu ray. Like, sure maybe Grand Budapest Hotel gets a UHD sometime but if I want to own it now I'm not really all that concerned about spending the $10 because really how many times do you have to watch a $10 blu ray to get your money's worth out of it?

Also normal Blurays still look good as hell so does a decently mastered DVD

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheScott2K posted:

Also normal Blurays still look good as hell so does a decently mastered DVD

True, I am currently watching Das Boot on DVD and it's surprisingly good looking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea DVD, Blu and UHD all have evolved over the life of the format. None of them were the offering the same quality at the beginning as they were at the end. Not all discs are created equal, even within the same format.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow is releasing An American Werewolf in London and The Ringu Collection in the US

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Full specs:

An American Werewolf in London - Oct 28

New 2018 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised by John Landis
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed 1.0 mono and optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
New audio commentary by Beware the Moon filmmaker Paul Davis
Audio Commentary by actors David Naughton and Griffin Dunne
Mark of The Beast: The Legacy of the Universal Werewolf, newly produced, feature-length documentary by filmmaker Daniel Griffith, featuring interviews with John Landis, David Naughton, Joe Dante and more
An American Filmmaker in London, a newly filmed interview with John Landis in which he reflects on his time working in Britain and British cinema
I Think He's a Jew: The Werewolf's Secret, new video essay by filmmaker Jon Spira (Elstree 1976) about how Landis’ film explores Jewish identity
The Werewolf’s Call, Corin Hardy, director of The Nun, chats with writer Simon Ward about their formative experiences with Landis’ film.
Wares of the Wolf, new featurette in which SFX artist Dan Martin and Tim Lawes of The Prop Store look at some of the original costumes and special effects artefacts from the film
Beware the Moon, Paul Davis’ acclaimed, feature-length exploration of Landis’ film which boasts extensive cast and crew interviews
Making An American Werewolf in London, a short archival featurette on the film’s production
An Interview with John Landis, a lengthy archival interview with the director about the film
Makeup Artist Rick Baker on An American Werewolf in London, the legendary make-up artist discusses his work on the film
I Walked with a Werewolf, an archival interview with the make-up artist about Universal horror and its legacy of Wolfman films
Casting of the Hand, archival footage from Rick Baker's workshop as they cast David Naughton's hand
Outtakes
Original trailers, teasers and radio spots
Extensive image gallery featuring over 200 stills, posters and other ephemera
Reversible sleeve featuring original poster art and artwork by Graham Humphreys
Double-sided fold-out poster
Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
Limited 60-page booklet featuring new writing by Travis Crawford and Simon Ward, archival articles and original reviews

This is pretty loving amazing because the Universal Blu-ray from 2016 is OK, but it has a slightly noise reduced appearance and no original mono track. Add in the stacked extras and swag, this is going to be one of the best releases of the year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Wasn't there some talk a few months back about Arrow doing RoboCop, what happened with that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't there some talk a few months back about Arrow doing RoboCop, what happened with that?

RoboCop already had a pretty amazing 4K Blu-ray a while back (at least a remaster). I don't know if it was released in 4K UHD.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Full specs:

An American Werewolf in London - Oct 28

New 2018 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised by John Landis
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed 1.0 mono and optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
New audio commentary by Beware the Moon filmmaker Paul Davis
Audio Commentary by actors David Naughton and Griffin Dunne
Mark of The Beast: The Legacy of the Universal Werewolf, newly produced, feature-length documentary by filmmaker Daniel Griffith, featuring interviews with John Landis, David Naughton, Joe Dante and more
An American Filmmaker in London, a newly filmed interview with John Landis in which he reflects on his time working in Britain and British cinema
I Think He's a Jew: The Werewolf's Secret, new video essay by filmmaker Jon Spira (Elstree 1976) about how Landis’ film explores Jewish identity
The Werewolf’s Call, Corin Hardy, director of The Nun, chats with writer Simon Ward about their formative experiences with Landis’ film.
Wares of the Wolf, new featurette in which SFX artist Dan Martin and Tim Lawes of The Prop Store look at some of the original costumes and special effects artefacts from the film
Beware the Moon, Paul Davis’ acclaimed, feature-length exploration of Landis’ film which boasts extensive cast and crew interviews
Making An American Werewolf in London, a short archival featurette on the film’s production
An Interview with John Landis, a lengthy archival interview with the director about the film
Makeup Artist Rick Baker on An American Werewolf in London, the legendary make-up artist discusses his work on the film
I Walked with a Werewolf, an archival interview with the make-up artist about Universal horror and its legacy of Wolfman films
Casting of the Hand, archival footage from Rick Baker's workshop as they cast David Naughton's hand
Outtakes
Original trailers, teasers and radio spots
Extensive image gallery featuring over 200 stills, posters and other ephemera
Reversible sleeve featuring original poster art and artwork by Graham Humphreys
Double-sided fold-out poster
Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
Limited 60-page booklet featuring new writing by Travis Crawford and Simon Ward, archival articles and original reviews

This is pretty loving amazing because the Universal Blu-ray from 2016 is OK, but it has a slightly noise reduced appearance and no original mono track. Add in the stacked extras and swag, this is going to be one of the best releases of the year.

Is this region 2 only?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is this region 2 only?

Nope, US and Canada too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Nope, US and Canada too.

Welp guess arrow is getting all my extra money between this and the ring collection.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They usually do a half off sale in November too

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

RoboCop already had a pretty amazing 4K Blu-ray a while back (at least a remaster). I don't know if it was released in 4K UHD.

Oh I know, but I didn't get that one yet so I wanted to see what Arrow was going to do with it. This is one of those rare cases where I might actually care about special features.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Arrow is releasing An American Werewolf in London and The Ringu Collection in the US

Who's releasing it in the rest of the UK?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

Who's releasing it in the rest of the UK?

It's a US/UK/Canada release. Kind of surprising since I didn't expect Universal to license it out. Maybe this means Arrow can also get Animal House and The Blues Brothers.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I can’t wait for the day Lawrence of Arabia gets a UHD release. When I saw it in a theater last year, I was bummed thinking they’ll never make epics like it ever again. With real assets and locations, hundreds of extras, and just a real wondrous scope.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I can’t wait for the day Lawrence of Arabia gets a UHD release. When I saw it in a theater last year, I was bummed thinking they’ll never make epics like it ever again. With real assets and locations, hundreds of extras, and just a real wondrous scope.

Saw it at the Egyptian theater in LA a couple weeks ago in 70mm and thought the same thing. Was a hell of an experience.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's rumored to be coming out in November

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Unmature posted:

Saw it at the Egyptian theater in LA a couple weeks ago in 70mm and thought the same thing. Was a hell of an experience.

It's intermission at the 70MM screening I'm at right now. What a beautiful looking film.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

roffels posted:

It's intermission at the 70MM screening I'm at right now. What a beautiful looking film.

Heights Theater in the Twin Cities?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Heights Theater in the Twin Cities?

That's it!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChazTurbo posted:

Yeah, this has been an issue for me with older and more mainstream titles. I'm glad to get Blus from Vinegar Syndrome, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a Blu of Escape from New York yet because I think it'll get a 4k at some point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought that Johnny Quest complete original series Blu-ray set. I commend them for not censoring but a lot of this is pretty rough to watch. In one episode Race dyes himself purple to masquerade as the god of a South American tribe and literally call them "Ignorant monkeys".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, this has been an issue for me with older and more mainstream titles. I'm glad to get Blus from Vinegar Syndrome, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a Blu of Escape from New York yet because I think it'll get a 4k at some point.

Shout! has been reissuing some titles in steelbooks using newer 4K masters. The Thing uses Arrow's 4K master and I think Lifeforce also has one.

There are UK UHDs of Escape from New York, Prince of Darkness, They Live, and The Fog - the UHD discs will be region free, but the included Blu-rays are Region B.

Though, I've read that some of them have serious encoding problems.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I bought that Johnny Quest complete original series Blu-ray set. I commend them for not censoring but a lot of this is pretty rough to watch. In one episode Race dyes himself purple to masquerade as the god of a South American tribe and literally call them "Ignorant monkeys".

There's a great Venture Bros. reference to that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
:smith:

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/1155858826760880129?s=19

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

A line in this stuck out for me, “You don’t really meet people because of Netflix".

Why not? None of the streaming services have any kind of social element, and it seems like an oversight. A Netflix with a friends list, maybe via Letterboxd integration or something, would be cool. Maybe each film can have a lobby where people can join to watch together, or a place to talk about the film after. Filter for your city if you're looking for someone local, hell, integrate a dating component. There's lots of possibilities there.

The only thing I've seen that's anything like this is BigscreenVR, and there the choices are incredibly limited unless you know someone with amazing broadband and good taste in movies. That being said, it feels like the actual future of social movie watching.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

A line in this stuck out for me, “You don’t really meet people because of Netflix".

Why not? None of the streaming services have any kind of social element, and it seems like an oversight. A Netflix with a friends list, maybe via Letterboxd integration or something, would be cool. Maybe each film can have a lobby where people can join to watch together, or a place to talk about the film after. Filter for your city if you're looking for someone local, hell, integrate a dating component. There's lots of possibilities there.

The only thing I've seen that's anything like this is BigscreenVR, and there the choices are incredibly limited unless you know someone with amazing broadband and good taste in movies. That being said, it feels like the actual future of social movie watching.

Because time spent doing that could be time spent not watching Stranger Things 3 again.

Netflix used to have a group watch thing on XBox but they got rid of it years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Social is very, very difficult to do right on a large scale. For a niche service like Letterboxd adding in basic social features is pretty simple—but notice how they don't have any chat or messaging components, only activity-following. But a massive company with a sprawling userbase that includes children? Forget it.

Plus, what's the upside for Netflix? Once you've opened the app, they've already won. They're not going to make more money by developing a complex infrastructure just so you can get perved on by some guy in India who also loved A Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Social is very, very difficult to do right on a large scale.

Yeah, it's this. For example, look at Google's various failed attempts: Wave, Buzz, Plus, etc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's
https://networkonair.com/all-produc..._eid=6e8d16f302

Restored from the original 2" quad tapes and 2K scans of surviving film inserts. Also mentions material previously censored or edited for time/copyright now back in. They're also releasing

(While a UK release, it's Region Free)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Streaming sites will never be as good as a video store. It was a better experience and video stores weren't subject to a bunch of constantly shifting rights issues and taking things out of the inventory and scattering them across multiple stores. The last video store I knew of which was right near my house finally closed down two or three years ago after at least 15 years of business, I have to go by it frequently and it stings every time.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's
https://networkonair.com/all-produc..._eid=6e8d16f302

Restored from the original 2" quad tapes and 2K scans of surviving film inserts. Also mentions material previously censored or edited for time/copyright now back in. They're also releasing

(While a UK release, it's Region Free)

Is this limited edition? And I know it's a long shot but I wonder if they managed to find the original UK episodes that weren't edited for PBS in America.

edit: Never mind, I'm dumb it's right there. Also yaaaay!

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing quite beats the “fun” of going to the video store to find the specific thing you want is out, or even worse - getting home and finding the tape is hosed. And nobody likes returning tapes.

There’s nostalgia to be had for sure but ehhh I’ll happily take what we have these days over it.