Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wasn't his power dependent on breastfeeding from his mother? It wouldn't be the grossest thing on the show.

Sorta.

The only way he could stay healthy was regularly drinking it.

Whether they keep the fact she continually mutated until she was just a giant tentacled blob with an afro, I guess we'll see, but I really hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Burned through the first season, great poo poo. What a fuckin' barn burner for that finale.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
This show is taking all the things I hate about the world (unchecked power in the hands of a few, corporatism, hosed up Christianity) and making them into an evil that is defeatable by ordinary people.

I can't stop watching it!

Edit: oh and the clear fascist strongman of Homelander, bloody hell that character creeps me out

Edit: "I scraped by selling houses," gently caress me i hate so many of these people

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 28, 2019

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Quote isn't edit

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 28, 2019

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Antony Starr just gave a monster of a performance on this show, holy poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

Antony Starr just gave a monster of a performance on this show, holy poo poo.

He's got an epic stare, one of the best in the biz

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I came for the laser baby and stayed for the Homelander.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I was really pleased with how The Deep's story turned out. It looked like they were going to try to make him sympathetic, but everything that happens to him doesn't invoke sympathy, it makes me happy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Morrow posted:

I came for the laser baby and stayed for the Homelander.
So you also stayed for the baby.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Grem posted:

I was really pleased with how The Deep's story turned out. It looked like they were going to try to make him sympathetic, but everything that happens to him doesn't invoke sympathy, it makes me happy.
I saw him as a pathetic figure. He's an prick, but he's clearly hurt how no one appreciates his empathy with animals.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Grem posted:

I like that they took the gimmick that all his thunder is turned to ridicule whenever he tries to act heroic (like emerging from the Hudson river with a condom stuck to his deep sea helmet) in the comic into "wants to act heroic but is a huge rear end in a top hat/buffoon and karma just keeps biting back, hard."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Three eps in. I love the world building and overall concept, plus the non-stop digs at modern marketing and branding.

I'm hooked. But I'm not overwhelmed by the show. Its entertaining, but nothing I feel like I've never seen before.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought the superhero stuff was fun to watch and pretty well done but man a lot of the character beats with all of the boys really failed to land.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I'm six episodes in and loving it. Does this exist in the same comic universe as Happy! ? Because Nick Sax showing up in this would just be... be...

*explodes*

(Also I strangely enjoy Karl Urban in everything he is in. Vaako will always rule my underverse.)

Also haha @ The Deep driving around in a loving yellow H3. It's too perfect.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 28, 2019

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I just realised homelander and Billy butcher are both kiwi actors.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

According to Wikipdia Amazon ordered season two before season one even premiered. Is that based on ComicCon reception or something? How does that sort of thing even happen?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

I saw him as a pathetic figure. He's an prick, but he's clearly hurt how no one appreciates his empathy with animals.

He drives an H3 Hummer too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fabulousity posted:

According to Wikipdia Amazon ordered season two before season one even premiered. Is that based on ComicCon reception or something? How does that sort of thing even happen?

Expanse S4 isn’t until December and they already announced S5.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

I mean it's real good. Maybe they just liked what they saw.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

They're chasing that Marvel money, so indie superhero IPs are the hot thing at the moment now that Disney's consolidating its franchises.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I tried to go back and read the comic and it is horrendous. The art looks godawful too. I do miss the big goofy bulldog though.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

Ah what are you doing that's so important you gotta maximize your entertainment time just watch it you ain't doing nothing else anyway you know it

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Frankenstyle posted:

If you don’t enjoy something, you don’t have to watch it. Totally ok to bail, my dude!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

Ah what are you doing that's so important you gotta maximize your entertainment time just watch it you ain't doing nothing else anyway you know it

Anime doesn't watch it's self.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, sorry. I guess that sounded like a "Should I waste my precious time" dickhead post, but I work twelve to eighteen hour shifts at a hospital so I have to target my TV watching strategically in between moments of passing out while taking off my shoes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah, sorry. I guess that sounded like a "Should I waste my precious time" dickhead post, but I work twelve to eighteen hour shifts at a hospital so I have to target my TV watching strategically in between moments of passing out while taking off my shoes.

OK OK you got me if you don't like it by now you probably won't ever

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Fourth ep I think is (one OF) the best so maybe give that one a whirl

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

spice girls and a dolphin

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Watched a few episodes, Karl Urban and Antony Starr rule. Not a big fan of young, budget Colin Firth but he'll do. Also, If you want to see Antony Starr as a similar psychotic except he's the protagonist, watch Banshee.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

loving Homelander makes my skin creep every time he’s on screen. They tamped down the edgelord stuff, but the supes being the absolute worst thing that ever happened to the world is spot on.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Grem posted:

I can think of one thing that loving baffled me in their decision making there, but considering this is a Ennis/Rogen production, it shouldn't loving have. The whole Deep getting raped by a fan thing was a too much, considering they are keeping him as a pathetic washed up MeToo celebrity guy joke.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Kill Bristol posted:

Updating Vought and Homelander especially to be MAGA types was a really a good choice.

I could totally see the megachurch thing happening if people like that did exist.

I'm not sure they were "updated" at all: The show would've worked fine anywhere in post 9/11 'Murika. The only thing MAGA allows is for Homelander's cartoonish evilness to get some extra suspension of disbelief.

Vought is just Fox News, some defense contractors, way too many people with MBAs, and the NFL all rolled into a general evil entity. The poo poo the megachurch is up to is literally the poo poo real life megachurches in America have been up to since the 1980s.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabulousity posted:

I'm not sure they were "updated" at all: The show would've worked fine anywhere in post 9/11 'Murika. The only thing MAGA allows is for Homelander's cartoonish evilness to get some extra suspension of disbelief.

Vought is just Fox News, some defense contractors, way too many people with MBAs, and the NFL all rolled into a general evil entity. The poo poo the megachurch is up to is literally the poo poo real life megachurches in America have been up to since the 1980s.

add in Johnson & Johnson somewhere and you hit the nail square on the head.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished it up tonight, and gotta admit, it was pretty good. Thankfully, way different than the comics.

Antony Starr is loving killing it as Homelander. Dude's got an amazing psycho look when he wants it, and watching him act for the cameras and then drop the act is legit scary in some scenes.

The very weird oedipal complex is... unique, and incredibly hosed up.

Still, I'll be tuning in for season 2. God drat that dolphin scene had me cracking the gently caress up. The lobster was a close second.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Still, I'll be tuning in for season 2. God drat that dolphin scene had me cracking the gently caress up. The lobster was a close second.

Knew the second he asked for it be brought up where that scene was going. :allears:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Homelander losing his cool in the plane and threatening to heat vision all of the passengers was scary as gently caress and probably one of my favorite scenes this season. Just any scene in general when Homelander's in the shade or dark and all you see is his shining red eyes is very unnerving. Antony Starr really does simmering intensity so well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I enjoyed all of it but everything involving the deep after the big MeToo moment was pointless, especially the gill rape scene, that was all pretty dumb and missed out on everything that made the original dynamic between the Deep and Starlight to be rapey. Why wouldn't he just tell that girl to gently caress off? Annie was scared into believing he'll ruin her career if she didn't comply, what stopped him from just going 'yikes, no thanks'?. It was a pretty forced 'walk a mile in her shoes' thingy, and it really wasn't interesting, his story wasn't interesting on it own.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Disharmony posted:

Homelander losing his cool in the plane and threatening to heat vision all of the passengers was scary as gently caress and probably one of my favorite scenes this season. Just any scene in general when Homelander's in the shade or dark and all you see is his shining red eyes is very unnerving. Antony Starr really does simmering intensity so well.

Chris Pine should be a little worried. Starr could be slotted into pretty much any role of his, including Kirk.

If anything, the way they've got him dolled up, he looks like what would happen if you blended Chris Pine and Michael Fassbender together.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Chris Pine should be a little worried. Start could be slotted into pretty much any role of his, including Kirk.

Hey hey, let's not saying anything we can't take back. Chris Pine deserves your drat respect.