Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TTBF posted:

There are two Vancouvers on the west coast that are really close together. One is in Washington, America and the other is in British Columbia, Canada. Americans usually mean the Canadian one when they talk about Vancouver. I have been to both and they are fairly different cities.

I legit didn't know there was one in America. The one my friends lived in was the Canadian one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Vancouver, Washington is across a river from Portland, Oregon. This is fun because Washington has no income tax and Oregon has no sales tax. It is much cheaper to live there than in Portland.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

TTBF posted:

Vancouver, Washington is across a river from Portland, Oregon. This is fun because Washington has no income tax and Oregon has no sales tax. It is much cheaper to live there than in Portland.

TTBF posted:

There are two Vancouvers on the west coast that are really close together. One is in Washington, America and the other is in British Columbia, Canada. Americans usually mean the Canadian one when they talk about Vancouver. I have been to both and they are fairly different cities.

e: I'd probably rather live in the Canadian one than the American one because the Canadian one is a full sized city complete with everything that entails, and the American one is a suburb of a city in a different state.

Basically this. People who live in southern Washington consider Vancouver a Portland suburb with no income tax.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TTBF posted:

driving back and forth will make you want to die on the reg

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

driving back and forth will make you want to die on the reg

Seattle traffic is worse imo.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah but you can live in Seattle fairly easily without a car.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Seattle traffic is worse imo.

in fairness I moved out from Portland eight years ago, but Portland traffic has to be better purely because there aren't all of the many tiny strange bridges on streets on hills as there are in Seattle. Portland has two big rivers, but Seattle's got so much more water to cross it's not even funny.

I miss Portland and if I ever wanted to move back it would be there, but I'm not done here. If you do wind up in Portland/North Portland, please try to support the existing local businesses (including non-white-owned ones) because the gentrification is real and strong.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

LividLiquid posted:

I've decided that I like Portland (specifically North Portland) and I think I'm going to move here.

Not to discourage you from moving there but Portland's history of racism is unfortunate and somewhat surprising.

I love to visit Vancouver but I'd hate to live there (and I couldn't afford to anyway).

bartok
May 10, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Not to discourage you from moving there but Portland's history of racism is unfortunate and somewhat surprising.

I love to visit Vancouver but I'd hate to live there (and I couldn't afford to anyway).

All this talk about racism and Portland makes me want to watch Green Room again. RIP Anton Yelchin

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

I've decided that I like Portland (specifically North Portland) and I think I'm going to move here.

Going there for work soon. First time there. Is it like Portlandia? I’d be slightly disappointed if it wasn’t.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i made pão de queijo today and even though i hosed up the recipe a little bit they're still awesome

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I was born here and Portland has some extremely hosed up poo poo going on to this day regarding racism, transphobia, and other institutional issues. For example, our cops are a loving joke and were recently caught openly collaborating with the fascists that attack people in the streets. Mostly though it's just that gentrification hit this city like a loving sledgehammer and effectively wiped out most of the city's original inhabitants. Portland's image as a progressive artsy utopia is really little more than slick marketing by the real estate/property management groups at the end of the day.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was watching a you tube video about video game speedruns. and the man who made the video pronounced the word "heaven" as though it was "heave" and "en" combined, like some kind of made up fantasy word, instead of like heaven was a word. it was a very earnest try without any hint of realization of what was happening. what are some mistakes that you've noticed recently. don't say my life or posts, or reading my posts, or anything like that, etc.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

jesus WEP posted:

i made pao de queijo today and even though i hosed up the recipe a little bit they're still awesome

Needful doesn't do accent marks but hell yeah pao de queijo is dope.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My partner just kinda casually remembered around when I take my pain meds. Something about that makes me feel very loved and lucky to have this person. :)

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
its cool your business partner has your back. i got a new girlfriend and she's married to a rich, sickly man. things are finally looking up for Drew McIntyre

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you get rich please buy me a top of the line graphics card for the computer and send it to my house so that i can have it

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Cavauro posted:

if you get rich please buy me a top of the line graphics card for the computer and send it to my house so that i can have it

i will, i promise. just you, nobody else can ask me after this point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't mean to say please but it was a happy accident in life. if that changes anything then i am joking

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My partner just kinda casually remembered around when I take my pain meds. Something about that makes me feel very loved and lucky to have this person. :)

Yo. That’s the good poo poo. Just wait til she makes you lunch in a brown bag one day. That’s when I knew I loved my ex.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

fart blood posted:

Yo. That’s the good poo poo. Just wait til she makes you lunch in a brown bag one day. That’s when I knew I loved my ex.

For sale: baby shoes. Never worn.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

fart blood posted:

when did you know you didn't love her anymore

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It’d be pretty cool if Goodwill wasn’t being shits because Im gonna have a bunch of shoes to donate during harvest time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fart blood posted:

Going there for work soon. First time there. Is it like Portlandia? I’d be slightly disappointed if it wasn’t.

Portlandia is a documentary, the only people who got upset at it are Californians with less than ten years spent in Portland.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Tournament update:

I won a few friendlies but got straight stomped in tournament play. 0-4. Very sad! But on the plus side, my little cousin was cheering me on and I made sure to play friendlies against kids his age so I could be like "yo this is my cousin, he's good y'all should play" then step aside. He made some friends, they followed each other on social, and now he wants to do a tournament. :3: Embarrassing yourself is awesome when it helps someone else.

But now I'm also going to join him at whatever tournament is next because 0-4 is some bullshit!!! "you shouldn't squall hammer against shield" NO poo poo TEENAGER I DIDN'T THINK YOUR SHIELD WOULD GO UP THAT FAST

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
should have picked mii brawler

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
mii gunner is better

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Drew McIntyre posted:

when did you know you didn't love her anymore

When she stopped showing up to things

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The moral of my life that I never ever learn is that 99% of the time when I get excited about things and tell people about them they promptly implode so I should stick to being a miserable gently caress I guess.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The moral of my life that I never ever learn is that 99% of the time when I get excited about things and tell people about them they promptly implode so I should stick to being a miserable gently caress I guess.

oh foochs

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Mox is doing great tho

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It bugs me when my white friends talk about how great Portland is and how it's the perfect city. Like, it's nice but it is there way it is by being really racist for it's entire history and forcing out anyone who doesn't match it's slick marketing.

Also I wish people were more aware of Portland's long history of institutional racism so that they stop calling Boston the most racist city in America.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You're a cool dude, Foochs, you maybe just get overhyped on things from what I get. Just take the good things as they are and if they are temporary then so be it. I'm telling you this because that's literally the same mentality I have, down to the "I tell people about poo poo and it goes wrong".

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also I wish people were more aware of Portland's long history of institutional racism so that they stop calling Boston the most racist city in America.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Number 2 still isn't number 1.

Because we're really loving racist. Our neighborhoods are still divided up by redlining. We have a lot of our own problems with institutional racism. We suck.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

You're a cool dude, Foochs, you maybe just get overhyped on things from what I get. Just take the good things as they are and if they are temporary then so be it. I'm telling you this because that's literally the same mentality I have, down to the "I tell people about poo poo and it goes wrong".

This is correct. I absolutely overhype. But tbh that's just how I feel things. It's full speed for better or worse, and I can't really be someone different, know what I'm saying?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

It bugs me when my white friends talk about how great Portland is and how it's the perfect city. Like, it's nice but it is there way it is by being really racist for it's entire history and forcing out anyone who doesn't match it's slick marketing.

It just isn’t or wasn’t discussed. Ever. It was just standard “bad part of town” things, and then those parts got gentrified, and all of a sudden got expensive and middle-class-up white people went there again. Happened with the Pearl, happened in NE, sounds like it’s in the process of happening in NoPo.

And that’s just late-20th century Portland. This is ignoring the fact of how Oregon was settled and granted statehood. It’s a miracle we had any education on the indigenous tribes at all.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

harperdc posted:

It just isn’t or wasn’t discussed. Ever. It was just standard “bad part of town” things, and then those parts got gentrified, and all of a sudden got expensive and middle-class-up white people went there again. Happened with the Pearl, happened in NE, sounds like it’s in the process of happening in NoPo.

And that’s just late-20th century Portland. This is ignoring the fact of how Oregon was settled and granted statehood. It’s a miracle we had any education on the indigenous tribes at all.

The Alberta neighborhood used to be an almost literal ghetto. Now they call it The Alberta Arts District lmao.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

*hoists a pint glass* Cheers, motherfucker, I feel you. For years I felt that anytime I stepped out of my comfort zone the universe would bitchslap me and yell at me to get back in line and know my role in the grand scheme of thing. All I can say is hang in there - after a decade-and-a-half of comfortable misery I finally met a muse who is doing her level headed best to drag me kicking and screaming into self-confidence and positive thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This, but replace "get excited about things and tell people about them" with "Feel good about something I accomplished ever"
Like the divine hand of fate wants me to never have confidence.