Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ah yes, the "I can shuffle better" line of argument. Always a winner.

They displaced Shroud because ISD era design was wildly crappy and they haven't walked back all the dumbness of back then quite yet. Hexproof sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone think of something interesting to do with Dragon Mage and Bag of Holding?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiderdrake posted:

Ah yes, the "I can shuffle better" line of argument. Always a winner.

They displaced Shroud because ISD era design was wildly crappy and they haven't walked back all the dumbness of back then quite yet. Hexproof sucks.

Thought about Bant Pants decks with Geist of St Traft and got mad again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Can anyone think of something interesting to do with Dragon Mage and Bag of Holding?

A dragon old enough to have arcane spellcasting will have enough of a hoard to generate at least a type 1 bag of holding in pretty much any edition.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eej posted:

Thought about Bant Pants decks with Geist of St Traft and got mad again

Innistrad limited with invisible stalkers holding butcher's cleaver or silver-inlaid dagger.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kalli posted:

Innistrad limited with invisible stalkers holding butcher's cleaver or silver-inlaid dagger.

counterpoint: isd limited owned

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hauki posted:

Stalker making GBS threads up drafts where you'd otherwise have consistently interactive and thoughtful Magic because R&D contracted brain worms from focus group exposure doesn't make stalker better. It's not a counterpoint to point out the reason stalker really sucks.

Never listen to focus groups, ever

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hauki posted:

Yeah it did, but every now and then that would happen and that sucked.

Just like Rise of the Eldrazi was the perfect draft set, unless someone had Drana, but oh well, losing 1 game in 30 to bad Magic was whatever.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a really magical christmasland Timmy Johnny* play but two things you can do is.

• Have Bag of Holding in play.

• Dragon Mage and Atemsis both attack and you can actually get them through. ()

• They both deal combat damage. The Mage and Artemis trigger goes on the stack.
    • Stack it so Mage resolves first. All discarded cards go into the bag.

• Hold priority and add the bag of holding bag sac effect before Artemis trigger processes.
    • Get those cards back with the 7 you just got.
    • Atemsis trigger processes and it should be super easy to get your six different CMC costs to win.
    • The second way and probably much easier way to defend play is to first get the Dragon Mage hitting and Bag of Holding eating those cards
    • When you have those cards in the bag, keep doing it until you can find Artemis and Sorc Wand or some enchantment or aura I'm thinking about (not heart piecer which I realized while typing this up)
    • Tap Artemis to deal 1 damage to opponent to trigger it's effect (only needs to be damage coming from Art) and look at 1st sequence to figure out what to do

Super dumb because if you have 6 mana available, it should be near the end of the game/already ended unless you make the deck super-lock-down control

The first is rougher because both need to hit at the same time so you can stack the damage triggers that way. The second means if you got cards in that bag, you can do the Artemis part whenever to win. Also it easier because Art doesn't even have to attack.

* For explanation of the names. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2013-12-03 I think they recently updated it but not bothered to look it up.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 28, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Made a Temur version of my Hydra deck and a successfully landed rhythm of the wild ruins Simic Flash's gameplan. Lil' Domri and Rhythm really help give it some faster play I wasn't able to do as pure Simic.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Already answered, but I love how perfect this post is as setting up an explanation of protection.

lol I should have known better but I haven't really played with the protection effect until this set

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Simone Poodoin posted:

lol I should have known better but I haven't really played with the protection effect until this set

Take it as something good because it is usually very hard to explain what protection does and does not do.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Take it as something good because it is usually very hard to explain what protection does and does not do.

I always loved how protection was fine yet somehow banding broke so many brains that it just straight had to go.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I'm a little rusty on the protection rules. My opponent had that pro-green beetle out and I was playing green black. If I cast rabid bite, can I target my own black creature and kill it? It seems rabid bite targets my own creature, not his so it would work?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Homers BBBq posted:

I'm a little rusty on the protection rules. My opponent had that pro-green beetle out and I was playing green black. If I cast rabid bite, can I target my own black creature and kill it? It seems rabid bite targets my own creature, not his so it would work?

Rabid Bite targets both creatures, so no.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Though if you get a Mask of Immolation, bear in mind it targets from the equipped creature, so you can kill a drake once it isn't on a red creature.

And a scorpion's deathtouch works!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Person Dyslexic posted:

I always loved how protection was fine yet somehow banding broke so many brains that it just straight had to go.

Just based on the length of the reminder text, there's a pretty good argument for protection being a lot simpler.

Banding reminder text posted:

Any creatures with banding, and up to one without, can attack in a band. Bands are blocked as a group. If any creatures with banding you control are blocking or being blocked by a creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.

Protection reminder text posted:

This can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything [quality].

I think the text for banding won't even fit on a card at normal font size and it doesn't take into account how interactions between banding and other abilities are a mess.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kalli posted:

Yeah it did, but every now and then that would happen and that sucked.

Just like Rise of the Eldrazi was the perfect draft set, unless someone had Drana, but oh well, losing 1 game in 30 to bad Magic was whatever.

yeah fair enough, maybe a little rose-colored glasses because I drafted a shitton of ISD & ISD/DKA on modo in my college days, went positive EV with it and redeemed a good bit of physical product off the back of a ~$50 buy-in or whatever

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Just based on the length of the reminder text, there's a pretty good argument for protection being a lot simpler.

I think the text for banding won't even fit on a card at normal font size and it doesn't take into account how interactions between banding and other abilities are a mess.

Yeah but that was what made it so much fun! Note that I do not condone banding nor do I think it was a great mechanic, but it sure was hilarious watching heads explode trying to make rules work with it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
just sleeved up my favorite draft deck i have ever made.

not the best thing ever, probably, but it feels very good. i'm running a 9/5 island/plains split which felt okay!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That draft deck is fantastic.

Also fantastic: For f2pers, today is level 40 day, which means upgraded cat day!

All hail cat pass

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
imo i should get an honorary bo3 win if my one win comes when i keep a one land hand and win without ever drawing another land

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
M20 pack code: BINGOIVMYTHICCHAMP

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Oceanbound posted:

M20 pack code: BINGOIVMYTHICCHAMP

Bingo I'v my thic champ?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Network42 posted:

Bingo I'v my thic champ?

:same:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I often have network errors that prevent me from sideboarding, as in, I have to reconnect during sideboarding and don't get my sideboard in match 2. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Arglebargle III posted:

I often have network errors that prevent me from sideboarding, as in, I have to reconnect during sideboarding and don't get my sideboard in match 2. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

not yet, but I'm having to reconnect a lot more since the last patch

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Okay, I think my vampire list is just about finalized for now, this one has just (sky)marched though Platinum:

4 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
6 Swamp (M20) 272
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Plains (M20) 264
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Dusk Legion Zealot (RIX) 70
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord (M20) 115
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
2 Sanctum Seeker (XLN) 120
4 Champion of Dusk (RIX) 64
4 Legion Lieutenant (RIX) 163
2 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (WAR) 217
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256

2 Legion's End (M20) 106
4 Disfigure (M20) 95
4 Duress (M19) 94
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228

It's great having a maindeck without dead cards in any matchup that I know. After posting my last version someone mentioned Legion's End for Field of the Dead zombies, which I remembered shortly after posting. I played something like this at FNM and upset someone by using it on their Mistbinder and caught a second in their hand after mulliganing to five, given he didn't know it existed.

And I'm going to double down on my defense of WAR Sorin, it's been great, makes Aerialist incredible and can fetch back my guys who can all remain relevant at later stages of the game. Pairs well with Imperious Sorin too.

Only thing I'm not certain of is Skymarcher Aspirant. It's of variable value early game from excellent to blocked by redundant Llanowar Elves, but I do like having more potential flyers. Legion's Landing or Dire Moon Vampire both empower Aerialist and make life loss from Champion of Dusk safer. The former is good if you can flip it against control and the later can slow down decks with big, non-evasive beaters (and I've even won a game because one blocked Ghalta) Possibly Dire Moon edges it so I only need black T1 and War Sorin can get it back.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

what are the reward cards this month anyway

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Zyla posted:

what are the reward cards this month anyway

Cruel Celebrant and Soul Diviner

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Omnath, Lobster of the Boil.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm having a lot of fun playing the Ravnica precon event. Obviously it helps on their end that they had these decks premade for the NPE, but I hope they do more stuff like this for other sets going forward. They might prefer to focus on advertising new sets to sell packs for them, but I think it would be cool if they went back and did something like this for Ixalan and (when they add it back to the game) Amonkhet too. Variety's good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Izzet deck seems really good since I only dropped one game with it to get all the rewards but the one game I did lose was to the Gruul deck really hard so maybe that's the better deck.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ya I've been riding Gruul it's good. The majority of players I'm against are unbelievably god awful though, one guy even forgot to put a land down the first turn. You really see the dregs of this game in unranked events like this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Doltos posted:

Ya I've been riding Gruul it's good. The majority of players I'm against are unbelievably god awful though, one guy even forgot to put a land down the first turn. You really see the dregs of this game in unranked events like this.

I mean, I've forgotten to play lands plenty of times over the course of my career. :v: Passing the first turn without playing a land is some thinking emoji poo poo though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Actually if you want to power through the event just play the Rakdos precon it has a ton of removal and aggro in it. For some reason they thought giving that deck a ton of shocks and war of the spark cards was a good idea.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

The simic one looks solid on its face at least. Radkos has what, 25 lands in it for an aggro deck?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Doltos posted:

Actually if you want to power through the event just play the Rakdos precon it has a ton of removal and aggro in it. For some reason they thought giving that deck a ton of shocks and war of the spark cards was a good idea.
Tell that to the 10 Boros decks I've run into in a row

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Okay, I think my vampire list is just about finalized for now, this one has just (sky)marched though Platinum:

4 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
6 Swamp (M20) 272
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Plains (M20) 264
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Dusk Legion Zealot (RIX) 70
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord (M20) 115
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
2 Sanctum Seeker (XLN) 120
4 Champion of Dusk (RIX) 64
4 Legion Lieutenant (RIX) 163
2 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (WAR) 217
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256

2 Legion's End (M20) 106
4 Disfigure (M20) 95
4 Duress (M19) 94
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228

It's great having a maindeck without dead cards in any matchup that I know. After posting my last version someone mentioned Legion's End for Field of the Dead zombies, which I remembered shortly after posting. I played something like this at FNM and upset someone by using it on their Mistbinder and caught a second in their hand after mulliganing to five, given he didn't know it existed.

And I'm going to double down on my defense of WAR Sorin, it's been great, makes Aerialist incredible and can fetch back my guys who can all remain relevant at later stages of the game. Pairs well with Imperious Sorin too.

Only thing I'm not certain of is Skymarcher Aspirant. It's of variable value early game from excellent to blocked by redundant Llanowar Elves, but I do like having more potential flyers. Legion's Landing or Dire Moon Vampire both empower Aerialist and make life loss from Champion of Dusk safer. The former is good if you can flip it against control and the later can slow down decks with big, non-evasive beaters (and I've even won a game because one blocked Ghalta) Possibly Dire Moon edges it so I only need black T1 and War Sorin can get it back.

Legions end is also a blowout in the mirror to get rid of adanto vanguard or massed legions landing tokens.

Lastly, if you're going to stick with bad sorin (and you have your somewhat valid reasons), I would totally put in the vamps of the dire moon over skymarcher. Not only to they help power up your aerialist, but they also put less stress on your mana base.

No cast downs? No vicious conquistadors? 4 dusk legion zealots? There's nothing wrong with a more midrange version of vampires, but 'having every card in the main useful against every deck' seems like you're setting yourself up for some very hard game ones against other aggro/midrange decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Thanks game.