Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

By the way, "He said he was the devil and uh... He was here to do some devil poo poo." is maybe the funniest thing Tarantino has ever written.

I don't know, "Oh my god, is everyone okay?” “Well the loving hippies ain’t.”" is right up there with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

cardedagain posted:

what about the vanilla fudge cover, though?

it's up there with comanche in pulp fiction and stealers wheel in reservoir dogs.

I love that cover and was honestly a bit bummed they didn't crank it up ala' Bowie's "Cat People" in Inglorious.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

bullet3 posted:

Personally, I think its a pretty cheap exploitative trick to take real tragedies and then throw shlocky violence at the problem to induce the audiences bloodlust.

i didn't see it just as bloodlust with those one. it felt like a horror movie whenever the Manson family was around; you don't want the monsters to win.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Much of how I feel has already been said. I left feeling like this didn't work as a whole, but contained an ample amount of individual amazing scenes that still made it very entertaining and worth watching. Definite pacing and editing issues, but whoever said that Tarantino gets the pacing of individual scenes perfect was spot-on. I wasn't sold on the ending with Sharon Tate not dying but after reading this thread I now understand the intentions of celebrating her life rather than reducing her memory down to her murder.

That said, once it became clear that this was another revenge fantasy and not historically accurate, I've got to say I would not have minded the ending my mind went to once the Manson kids broke into Rick's house instead of Sharon's. I didn't realize we were at the end of the film's running time and I pictured Cliff and maybe Rick seeking revenge by storming the Spahn Ranch and taking out Charles and the rest in an epic, classic Tarantino western-style showdown. Maybe that's silly and dumb, but the relatively brief fight, although brutal and awesome, didn't feel like a strong enough climax to me. But I also understand that this was QT's intentionally most restrained film for numerous reasons.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

okay, so i just finished my second screening, and i noticed that the two different [Alamo] theaters i saw this at played totally different retro trailers right before the "Sony" logo when the actual movie starts, with the Bounty Law promo reel.

the first screening i saw showed a trailer for Night Of The Grizzly
https://youtu.be/O7_kmVai8bo
and something else

my second screening i saw a trailer for a Dirty Harry movie, and The Man From Hong Kong.

not sure if that was an Alamo thing or not, but I originally thought it was part of the film...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

cardedagain posted:

okay, so i just finished my second screening, and i noticed that the two different [Alamo] theaters i saw this at played totally different retro trailers right before the "Sony" logo when the actual movie starts, with the Bounty Law promo reel.

and something else

my second screening i saw a trailer for a Dirty Harry movie, and The Man From Hong Kong.

not sure if that was an Alamo thing or not, but I originally thought it was part of the film...

Definitely an Alamo thing. Saw it at an AMC (sadly not near an Alamo now) and there were only the terrible Sony trailers.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah Alamo always plays a reel of cool, usually retro related things. When I saw Blade Runner 2049 there they played the Funny Or Die Ryan Gosling's Acting Range sketch and before Call Me By Your Name it was a bunch of old Italian TV show clips.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

interesting.

yeah the regular trailers were for the mr rogers movie, that Luce movie, and i forget what else.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Much of how I feel has already been said. I left feeling like this didn't work as a whole, but contained an ample amount of individual amazing scenes that still made it very entertaining and worth watching. Definite pacing and editing issues, but whoever said that Tarantino gets the pacing of individual scenes perfect was spot-on. I wasn't sold on the ending with Sharon Tate not dying but after reading this thread I now understand the intentions of celebrating her life rather than reducing her memory down to her murder.

That said, once it became clear that this was another revenge fantasy and not historically accurate, I've got to say I would not have minded the ending my mind went to once the Manson kids broke into Rick's house instead of Sharon's. I didn't realize we were at the end of the film's running time and I pictured Cliff and maybe Rick seeking revenge by storming the Spahn Ranch and taking out Charles and the rest in an epic, classic Tarantino western-style showdown. Maybe that's silly and dumb, but the relatively brief fight, although brutal and awesome, didn't feel like a strong enough climax to me. But I also understand that this was QT's intentionally most restrained film for numerous reasons.

I really enjoyed the movie and overall sense of dread and foreboding that all the scenes with Tate had. Having read a lot about the history I wondered where they were going and after the ranch scene knew that Tate was probably safe as it changed the focus to Cliff (and thereby Dalton as well).

But there was still that "Would Tarantino go there?" They kept Tate at arms length and this very innocent and idolized version of her.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a mis-attempt on Tate and co. the night before. The killers actually did go the wrong house the night before the murders. They aborted that attempt when they went next door instead of the correct residence.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

it felt like a horror movie whenever the Manson family was around; you don't want the monsters to win.

Yeah. The entire scene with the house seemed to be pretty directly quoting "Texas Chain Saw" to me, right down to the squawk-y animal noises.

cardedagain posted:

and something else

We got "Night of the Grizzly" and "Man on the Spying Trapeze," separate from the usual Alamo pre-show funny video clips stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRbllqhjLXE

warez fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2019

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

yes! that was it! spying trapeze!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently for a couple of the Italian movie posters they tracked down an artist who actually did that stuff back in the day.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently for a couple of the Italian movie posters they tracked down an artist who actually did that stuff back in the day.

It shows. I'm really picky about that stuff. Sometimes a movie will try and replicate the same thing and it's just photos with a Photoshop filter over them and looks like rear end. Same thing with old video and film footage. The Mister Rogers trailer before OUATIH is a perfect example of poorly replicated footage. All the TVs in that trailer look like flatscreens with a plastic box around them to make it look like a CRT. All the old film in Once Upon a Time looks like it time traveled from the 60s to today.

The Beach Bum is another example of great old video footage. I don't know why it's so hard for movies to just go on Craigslist and get an old VHS camcorder sometimes when it just looks like they put iphone footage through a filter.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tarantino is a friend of Polanski's right? Not that I'm too concerned about the feelings of a rapist but hearing about this movie would have to be pretty weird, I imagine.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Leonardo DiCaprio as Rick Dalton doing anything in this film was my jam. I thought it was sweet how the scene where the young actor tells Rick that that was the best acting she's ever seen feels like sarcasm in the trailer, but is played straight in the actual film.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TheAardvark posted:

It's an important scene, too. I was in a packed theater and him beating Bruce Lee was the absolute loudest cheering/laughing the whole night. I'd be surprised if most people read that as a fantasy, and it colored the rest of the movie a lot, plus tied in perfectly with the final scenes.

I like that this bit is doing exactly what Shwarz was talking about : bringing in a new guy (Cliff) and having him beat up the established "tough guy" as a shortcut to establishing his bona fides.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Tarantino is a friend of Polanski's right? Not that I'm too concerned about the feelings of a rapist but hearing about this movie would have to be pretty weird, I imagine.

Tarantino has a friend who is friends with Polanski. I think he’s met him a couple of times at like Cannes and stuff. He got wind of what Quentin was making, asked his mutual friend what was up, mutual friend got in touch with Quentin, Quentin told him what he was doing and let the guy read the script so he could go back to Polanski and go “I don’t think you have anything to worry about”.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Re: would my Bruce Lee-loving rear end get all butthurt from watching this

Coffee And Pie posted:

It’s implied to be a sensationalized memory rather than straight fact but it’s never declaratively stated

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, Cliff doesn't really beat Bruce Lee. Lee gets in a good shot because Cliff underestimated him, and then Cliff gets in a good shot because Lee underestimates him. Then they are pretty evenly matched. I don't think the portrayal of Lee was cartoony, more that it showed him from the perspective that a lot of stunt men probably see a lot of show leads.

Well that sounds alright...

TheAardvark posted:

Bruce Lee: they painted him as a whiny bitch, claiming his superiority in front of the white main character, and claiming he wasn't beaten with a standard "oh I would have won if" kinda thing. That bothered me too. QT painted it the way he would have if Bruce Lee was an embarassing person to have around.

Timeless Appeal posted:

My theater experience was a little lovely for that section with a lot of folks laughing a bit excessively at Lee's sounds. Like I get in the context of the scene, the fact that Lee is using the sounds he uses in his films is supposed to show that he's putting on a show and doesn't take the fight seriously... It's supposed to be a bit of a joke but ya know... some people were laughing a bit too hard.

...That's more, ugh...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I didn't mind what the movie was doing. Exaggerated or not, Lee being a bit of a blowhard is fine. They still make him clearly a badass and follow the Batman rule of it mostly being a tie. Honestly, I think it was kind of empowering in how it sort demystifies Lee. He's not some zen warrior or some other orientalist cliche. He's an athlete and an actor, but above all a kid in his 20s, a person of color in the 1960s, who for the moment has the world by a string. gently caress yeah he's going to gloat and ham it up!

LesterGroans posted:

Bruce Lee was cocky and charming. He was also a badass. They showed both of those sides of him. Was he a bit of a prop to boost Tarantino's badass? Sure. But that's fine. I especially liked the little flashback moment later of him happily training Sharon Tate.

...Well I guess I'll just have to not be a pussy and see the dang movie and make up my own mind!

For the record, I think this moment is friggin' HILARIOUS so it's not like I'm a total poor sport when it comes to my faves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1zrQuuuv0

But I do dread the idea of witnessing motherfucking Brad Pitt just own Bruce outright because he's just apparently the ultimate badass or whatever and having an audience laugh just a little too much at it.

I didn't much care for Jurassic Park III and Alien Resurrection pulling that kind of thing either, and those were just making GBS threads on villainous creatures, not beloved real-life role models.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

But I do dread the idea of witnessing motherfucking Brad Pitt just own Bruce outright because he's just apparently the ultimate badass or whatever and having an audience laugh just a little too much at it.

You don't have to worry about this. You may get a lovely audience that laughs at him though, and that would suck.

Walter Chaw's timeline has a few threads with some good thoughts on the film and Lee's portrayal in particular:

https://twitter.com/mangiotto/status/1154813323151577093?s=19

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Someone brings up “imagine if we scrubbed Muhammad Ali of his cockiness and steadfast refusal to bend for the man” and now I want a three hour Bruce Lee biopic by late 90s/early 2000s Michael Mann.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Bruce lee: Part of the crowds reaction is probably how hungry we are for well shot action scenes. My whole body smiled from the feeling of the impacts. I might be misremembering, but I think QT is good at following this lesson: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

He honed his skill at this craft through Kill Kills and Django and Hateful and IG, and he barely uses it here, so when he does, people are going to spring from their seats.

More Sharon Tate: I saw one eighteen year old film nerd explaining the murders to four of his eighteen year old friends on the way out. If nothing else, four kids in Florida have a context for a important event.

On Hippies: I think there was a good portrayal of peoples feelings on Hippies here. History seems to have illustrated the past a certain way. The image I had growing up was that hippies were a bunch of people that like drugs and hated war, and were all around good people. I think QT showed here why there was a contention (other than the murdery part). That's important, and valuable for society moving forward.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What was the significance of the radio ads all mentioning the scents of men, there's only 4 kinds of man scents, and so on? I heard several about cologne and hadn't caught the rest to make sense of it. Also what was the Maltese Falcon cameo implying to be a mcguffin? Books? There was big shot of a billboard with a bit about loyalty to books behind Tate later on too.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What was the significance of the radio ads all mentioning the scents of men, there's only 4 kinds of man scents, and so on? I heard several about cologne and hadn't caught the rest to make sense of it. Also what was the Maltese Falcon cameo implying to be a mcguffin? Books? There was big shot of a billboard with a bit about loyalty to books behind Tate later on too.

They're just weird 60s advertisements that Tarantino included because he's obsessive like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we just got an Alamo in LA

I look forward to Texans coming here, declaring it inferior to the "real thing" before putting bullet holes into the ceiling

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Drunkboxer posted:

I personally loved how they portrayed Lee in the movie. Mike Moh really had his cadence down and he’s exactly as arrogant as he should be. I don’t have access to it now but I remember seeing an interview with his widow on the Enter the Dragon dvd where she talks about a time where he beat up a stunt guy on the set, but I could be misremembering it a bit.

was it Jackie

cuz Jackie was down since it meant being soothed by him

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

jwnin posted:

I don't know, "Oh my god, is everyone okay?” “Well the loving hippies ain’t.”" is right up there with it.

Nope, the best joke was definitely the guy asking Cliff "How's the wife?" when they're at the mexican restaurant

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Alan Smithee posted:

was it Jackie

cuz Jackie was down since it meant being soothed by him

Nah, if I recall that story is the one about the stunt guy who hopped the fence around Lee's trailer and scared the poo poo out of his kids trying to challenge Lee to a fight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ardent Communist posted:

Nope, the best joke was definitely the guy asking Cliff "How's the wife?" when they're at the mexican restaurant

How did I miss that. Not that I needed an excuse to rewatch it, but yeah I gotta see it again while it's in theaters.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah, if I recall that story is the one about the stunt guy who hopped the fence around Lee's trailer and scared the poo poo out of his kids trying to challenge Lee to a fight.

Thanks for confirming that at least a little. I couldn’t find it on youtube and I’ve straight up lost that dvd.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ardent Communist posted:

Cliff wasn’t asked about his wife, the diner was. It’s an old joke when you see someone with a new girlfriend to embarrass them.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Cliff wasn’t asked about his wife, the diner was. It’s an old joke when you see someone with a new girlfriend to embarrass them.

Are you sure? I thought it was the guy asking him, cause he followed it up with something like "...oops, sorry".

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Movie was great, it felt a little meandering at first with all the endless driving shots but by the end I was amazed that nearly three hours had passed. It feels good to be captivated by a film again even when nothing much is happening. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments but my favorite low key one was Rick describing the book he was reading to the little girl, I was cracking up even before he starts crying. So loving funny.

Near the end when they were presumably setting up the murder by showing Sharon Tate going to dinner with friends an old man sitting next to us got up and told his friend he didn't want to see what happened next and left the theater. I'm curious how that conversation went afterwards.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Movie was great, it felt a little meandering at first with all the endless driving shots but by the end I was amazed that nearly three hours had passed. It feels good to be captivated by a film again even when nothing much is happening. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments but my favorite low key one was Rick describing the book he was reading to the little girl, I was cracking up even before he starts crying. So loving funny.

Near the end when they were presumably setting up the murder by showing Sharon Tate going to dinner with friends an old man sitting next to us got up and told his friend he didn't want to see what happened next and left the theater. I'm curious how that conversation went afterwards.

Did the old man have a Polish accent?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

When I left the theater a lady asked me in the lobby if the movie was over because she couldnt sit through the ending.

Do... People not understand that Tarantino in all likelihood would not recreate history? Maybe it was just too tense. I had no idea what the gently caress was going to happen, and when Booth took the LSD I thought he was a goner and Dalton would pathetically try to save the day.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
To be fair I only knew that the Family had done a big multi-murder in LA, wasn't sure who it was, but as soon as the early cameo happens looking for the previous residents of the home I spent the rest of the movie hoping we would get another Inglorious alt-history event. It telegraphs pretty hard if you're even slightly aware of the history.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The last act leading up is pretty explicitly set up so that if you aren't aware or expecting a Basterds, you're primed to think that the film is going to play out exactly as history did.

Overall I really liked the movie! I'm probably going to go see it again at the Roxy, since that's the closest 35mm showing I could find.

Ardent Communist posted:

Are you sure? I thought it was the guy asking him, cause he followed it up with something like "...oops, sorry".

Nah, that's cliff finishing the joke by saying he's joking.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I wasn't aware of the real-life events behind the movie at all so I thought it was trying to tell me that Roman Polanski hired hippies to kill his wife.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Give Brad Pitt an Oscar for the let's turn on a light HOLY poo poo IT'S SO loving BRIGHT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH acid moment.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I wasn't aware of the real-life events behind the movie at all so I thought it was trying to tell me that Roman Polanski hired hippies to kill his wife.

How were the Tate scenes? My friend I went with didn’t know the history either and found them pointless. Like the whole point I think is QT wanted you to feel horror movie style dread for her when she was on screen but does that work if you don’t know the real story or if you figure out the Inglorious Bastards plot twist is coming (which despite the flamethrower scene at the beginning totally setting it up I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t see coming)?

Also - Brad Pitt’s wife is supposed to be a wink to Natalie Wood, right? Or am I overthinking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

xrunner posted:

How were the Tate scenes? My friend I went with didn’t know the history either and found them pointless.

Tarantino has been making movies about movies for decades now but I think this might be the first one that requires some baseline knowledge of Hollywood history to get anything out of.

Then again maybe seeing Pitt and DiCaprio goofin around is enough to make someone appreciate the movie , who am I to say.