Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

I hope you're not suggesting the front fell off.
Well, it is likely that they were towed into a different environment...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Yeah, CB Protect will keep your systems sparkly clean, as long as you keep the back end maintained and don't hand over administration to the one person on the team who hates Carbon Black with every fiber of his being, but is too much of a wuss to quit or ask for reassignment. JUST DO YOUR JOB, BIT9 GUY. YOU'RE ACTIVELY DRIVING PEOPLE TO MACS BY MAKING WINDOWS SHITTIER.

I mean, you could also have it block powershell.exe with no exception process :v: That's a cool and fun thing to do.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, you could also have it block powershell.exe with no exception process :v: That's a cool and fun thing to do.

Someone fatfingered something and disabled svchost.exe once in the dev/test instance of bit9 we had. Maybe not so accidentally. Windows broke spectacularly.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Canuck-Errant posted:

Noice.

Extra noice.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Someone fatfingered something and disabled svchost.exe once in the dev/test instance of bit9 we had. Maybe not so accidentally. Windows broke spectacularly.

We had some piece of Intel cross our desk and our threat Intel guy shoved it into ThreatConnect to strip all the IOCs out. Some douchnozzle put "cmd.exe" launched as part of an execution indicator in the report, and my lovely script pulled it down from TC and added it to the Bit9 block list automatically.

Most of the 25k employees around the world took the day off that day.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We did an emergency p2v migration from backup because my coworker (one of the first people in the UK ever certified on AIX) deleted libcrypto.so trying to fix something else.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

gently caress faxing

that is all

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

gently caress faxing

that is all

I did already, thanks.

Update: Still not back up. Waiting for AT&T to grace us with their presence.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Mustache Ride posted:

We had some piece of Intel cross our desk and our threat Intel guy shoved it into ThreatConnect to strip all the IOCs out. Some douchnozzle put "cmd.exe" launched as part of an execution indicator in the report, and my lovely script pulled it down from TC and added it to the Bit9 block list automatically.

Most of the 25k employees around the world took the day off that day.

We had something similar happen, included servers too.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dragonshardz posted:

Before I can reply and ask why the gently caress $othertech is being such a lazy poo poo and refusing to provide me the information I need to do the work, $supervisor chimes in:

:boom:
This was a couple pages back, but just wanted to say that this post made my morning. Happy things happen once in a while.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Macaroni posted:

This was a couple pages back, but just wanted to say that this post made my morning. Happy things happen once in a while.

See I read this as the supervisor having chimed in to poo poo on the OP but maybe not? :unsmith:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
OP said a couple posts later that it felt awesome, so I'm assuming that it was supervisor dunking on the idiot tech. :)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Macaroni posted:

Schadenboner posted:

See I read this as the supervisor having chimed in to poo poo on the OP but maybe not? :unsmith:

The Macaroni posted:

OP said a couple posts later that it felt awesome, so I'm assuming that it was supervisor dunking on the idiot tech. :)

It was in fact supervisor telling off $othertech.

But, alas, a ticket came in. A user who - days earlier - opened a fake voicemail attachment (.wav.html file sent from a .jp TLD) can't open documents that are attached to emails. Aight. What kind of documents? What happens when you try to open email attachments? Are they able to open Word documents that aren't attached to emails?

User response: "I can't open email attachments."

Answer. The. Goddamn. Question.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dragonshardz posted:

It was in fact supervisor telling off $othertech.

But, alas, a ticket came in. A user who - days earlier - opened a fake voicemail attachment (.wav.html file sent from a .jp TLD) can't open documents that are attached to emails. Aight. What kind of documents? What happens when you try to open email attachments? Are they able to open Word documents that aren't attached to emails?

User response: "I can't open email attachments."

Answer. The. Goddamn. Question.

I just reply with the same question again, eventually they either figure out that they need to provide information, or they call the director in a huff about how unhelpful I am.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

A WebEx came in
:) 9:29am:$user from $location is asking for you
Me 9:30am:What about?
Ne 9:52am:What did the call end up being about? The active P2 ticket?
:) 9:56am:internet, it was fixed
Me 9:56am:Oh cool, there's a P2 ticket about their Internet issues, please make sure that's where the comments are
Me 9:57am:$P2ticketnumber

Ticket they put in this new ticket with nothing done for the P2: Subj "internet" "$vendor is on site, network team needs to rollback change of backup being main line". They had that done without troubleshooting anything after so they were still having the same issue and the vendor wasn't on site anymore. Thankfully it turned out to be our equipment so we didn't need them there but man I'm pissed off, we should be actively monitoring P2 issues :|

But in :yotj: news I'm getting a formal offer Thursday so we'll see how that goes!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I just reply with the same question again, eventually they either figure out that they need to provide information, or they call the director in a huff about how unhelpful I am.

I have been doing that, but today I'm onsite so I decided to go and see for myself instead of beating my head against this particular wall. I was hoping it'd be a standard Layer 8 issue, buuut...nope. It's a weird one.

The user can't open a specific document that is attached via email. Other Word documents that are attachments work fine, but this one document that caused her to email us with "I CAN'T OPEN DOCUMENTS :cry:" just opens as a total blank. Not even a blank document, the virtual page doesn't render.

So I emailed it to myself from her account and the document opens fine for me.

Something's fucky as all hell. Next I'm going to try opening the document on her compute but with my account to see if it's the computer or her account that's hosed.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Brand new manager over chat posted:

Do you have time today? We need to talk.

No, I'm not worried about my job, but how hard would it have been to say

Brand new manager over chat posted:

Do you have time today? We need to talk about customer allocations and the issue of case escalations not being handled properly by other teams. I'd like you to help them out because your team never seems to have these problems.

This way, I can come into the call prepared with some ideas and insights rather than responding to your hot-drop with blathering off-the-cuff remarks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The real power bottom manager move is to drop that line at 4:30 on a Friday

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Data Graham posted:

The real power bottom manager move is to drop that line at 4:30 on a Friday

9am email on Monday morning with the meeting set for 4pm Friday. True story.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I gave up fighting the uphill battle that was trying to get people to put agendas in meeting invites

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

I gave up fighting the uphill battle that was trying to get people to put agendas in meeting invites

I had a boss who just didn't show up to meetings without an agenda. I wish I had enough fucks left to do this instead of just going to to the meetings and then using the wasted two hours as a reason I've not finished another piece of work.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Zapf Dingbat posted:

gently caress faxing

that is all

:hmmyes:

My place is moving to electronic faxing within the next week or so. They'll all finally go to email inboxes in TYOOL 2019, we receive well over a thousand or two pages a day still between them all. They can even send them right from their email thanks to a special inbox they're making. I'm hoping I can office space those fuckers in a few months, since the outbound lines are still hooked up for the foreseeable future, just the inbound is getting hijacked for the new system.

I'm sure the new system will be jank and broken, but most importantly that side is Not My Problem. Less "Clean Corona Wire" hell and just throwing them out every 18 months or so and dropping a new one on a desk because you can't fix a fax.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Agrikk posted:

No, I'm not worried about my job, but how hard would it have been to say
One place I worked was announcing layoffs on a nearly weekly basis. One morning, the CEO said, "Macaroni, step into my office." I must've turned pale as a ghost, because he said, "No no no, I just want you to look at a computer issue."

As you said: would it be so loving hard to add an extra couple of words?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
"I'm not getting my email from an apartment complex I'm trying to set up rent payments for" :sigh:

Stop using your loving work email for personal poo poo. We don't block poo poo like gmail for a god drat reason.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An email came in.

dumb doo doo idiot posted:

I think this email is suspicious but I didn't look at it close enough before I sent them my password. Please fix.

The email was the most obvious phishing email I've ever seen, supposedly from the president of a college in another state that we are not associated with that said "i am stuck in meeting and need urgent help send your password to me please so i can fix the issue"

I've gotten used to how ignorant and just plain stupid a lot of people are but this was just aggressively dumb on her part. I asked her if she used the same password for her email here that she does for any other accounts and she proudly proclaimed that she uses the same password for everything. I told her she needs to change all of them, to which she scoffed and said she doesn't have time for that.

I sent an email telling her all of this to cover my own rear end when she inevitably wants to blame me for her identity being stolen.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That really should be a firing offense. I can allow for clicking on a link or trying to open an attachment, but the level of dumbness that allows for that kind of thing is simply staggering.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

AlexDeGruven posted:

That really should be a firing offense. I can allow for clicking on a link or trying to open an attachment, but the level of dumbness that allows for that kind of thing is simply staggering.

Do they have scared-straight style classes for password security like they do for drunk divers?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fil5000 posted:

I had a boss who just didn't show up to meetings without an agenda. I wish I had enough fucks left to do this instead of just going to to the meetings and then using the wasted two hours as a reason I've not finished another piece of work.

I had the opposite. My previous boss said he deliberately set up meetings without agendas because he wanted to foster spontaneous discussions!

NARRATOR VOICE: it did not have the intended effect.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I couldn't agree more on this. If there's an agenda, I'll do preparation. If the agenda is basically the meeting title in one, I'll accept that too. If everyone invited without doubt knows what this is about, yes. However, if I'm being invited because you want to scatter gun gather everyone, let's hope I don't have anything better to do like play knifey-finger or let off fireworks into my own face.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

dragonshardz posted:

I have been doing that, but today I'm onsite so I decided to go and see for myself instead of beating my head against this particular wall. I was hoping it'd be a standard Layer 8 issue, buuut...nope. It's a weird one.

The user can't open a specific document that is attached via email. Other Word documents that are attachments work fine, but this one document that caused her to email us with "I CAN'T OPEN DOCUMENTS :cry:" just opens as a total blank. Not even a blank document, the virtual page doesn't render.

So I emailed it to myself from her account and the document opens fine for me.

Something's fucky as all hell. Next I'm going to try opening the document on her compute but with my account to see if it's the computer or her account that's hosed.

I've had that happen. It's a very very rare office quirk of some kind. I'll bet that no matter what you do she'll never be able to open the original document, but if you "Save As:" the document with a new name it will open just fine.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

larchesdanrew posted:

she proudly proclaimed that she uses the same password for everything.

:stare: Who the HELL thinks that is something to be proud of?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Merijn posted:

:stare: Who the HELL thinks that is something to be proud of?

People who think that their password is so fuckin' good it can be used for EVERYTHING and nobody will EVER know, because NO ONE will guess CorrectHorseBatteryStaple.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Is there a published Acceptable Use Policy for employees that prohibits poo poo like that? Cause that's the kind of thing I'd notify managers about.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 30, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

capitalcomma posted:

Is there a published Acceptable Use Policy for employees that prohibits poo poo like that? Cause that's the kind of thing I'd notify managers about.

I mean, here it's part of the basic security training, and if you use the same password for more than just one account and tell someone about it there's a bounty on that poo poo with our infosec staff.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

capitalcomma posted:

We're a small school and basically act as our own school district. I've been pushing for an acceptable use policy for employees and regular security training but that "takes away time from meaningful professional development" and "shouldn't be an issue if the server is up to date." Both actual real quotes by my boss, by the way.

When informed that an employee sent her password to a phisher posing as someone she shouldn't be sending her password to in any dimension, and that said password was the same password she uses for everything, my boss rolled his eyes in a "oh golly, what characters we have" sort of way, froze that way and the laugh track kicked in while the credits rolled.

The Sad, Strange Life of Larchesdanrew was filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Bonus:

I sent an email out to parents with instructions on how to opt-in for emergency alerts.

I got an email back from the divorced father of two of our students.

quote:

Perhaps you can send me my daughters' contact info :)

I looked them up in the system and they have notes attached to them informing that they have a restraining order against him. Apparently he tried to kidnap them from the dorms last year.

I just want to fix computers, ya'll.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 30, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
:stare:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

First of May posted:

Do they have scared-straight style classes for password security like they do for drunk divers?

gently caress, I wish.

The closest thing we have is PhishMe.

I'd love to put a policy in place that hauls your rear end into the director's office and scares the gently caress out of you for falling for a phishing email. Aside from the fact that my director is a sniveling dudebro with his head up 3 other people's asses. xsf knows what I'm talking about.

We are a massive financial company and deal with GBs of PII and PIFI daily with thousands of people logged in to sensitive data 24/7. This poo poo should be pounded into people's skulls daily.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

We're a small school and basically act as our own school district. I've been pushing for an acceptable use policy for employees and regular security training but that "takes away time from meaningful professional development" and "shouldn't be an issue if the server is up to date." Both actual real quotes by my boss, by the way.

When informed that an employee sent her password to a phisher posing as someone she shouldn't be sending her password to in any dimension, and that said password was the same password she uses for everything, my boss rolled his eyes in a "oh golly, what characters we have" sort of way, froze that way and the laugh track kicked in while the credits rolled.

The Sad, Strange Life of Larchesdanrew was filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Bonus:

I sent an email out to parents with instructions on how to opt-in for emergency alerts.

I looked them up in the system and they have notes attached to them informing that they have a restraining order against him. Apparently he tried to kidnap them from the dorms last year.

I love your stories. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it cause drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Bonus:

Why is his email still in your database?!