Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

GD_American posted:

Guh. There’s a lot. Rape, cannibalism, necrophilia, a whole ton of child molestation jokes

tw: sexual assault, animal abuse - tek knight fucks a chinchilla named "mr chinky" to death and renders his manservant deaf in one ear because he ostensibly raped his ear hole. That just happened in the book I'm reading. It would take me days to note all the "edgy" stuff they cut from the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panfilo posted:

So do the effects of compound V wear off over time? A Train seemed anxious about his race which suggested he wasn't as 'fast' as he used to be and later we see him arrive too late to stop a crime.

If the supes are lab made super soldiers, how did Starlight get her powers? Does Compound V work on animals?

have you finished the season? your second to last question is answered.

as to the first question my reading was these newer supes may just be faster in general and a-train just happened to be the fastest guy at the time he got put in the seven.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

This was alright but the best thing about it imo is it might be popular enough to generate some interest in a Transmetropolitan series.

A dream too beautiful to ever become reality

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

So do the effects of compound V wear off over time? A Train seemed anxious about his race which suggested he wasn't as 'fast' as he used to be and later we see him arrive too late to stop a crime.

If the supes are lab made super soldiers, how did Starlight get her powers? Does Compound V work on animals?

The show does a good job of showing just how dangerous Superheroes would really be, even in the best of circumstances. I mean compare Iron Man getting a few dozen people out of a disabled jet and macguyvering a way to get them safely in the water, to Homelander's blase reaction to long shot suggestions on trying to rescue passengers--he didn't even want to TRY and I'm assuming it's because they could just deny even being there in the first place rather than have the negative publicity of unsuccessfully rescuing the passengers.

Seems like V gave powers as a baby and maybe enhances them as adults?

Starlight confronted her mother about her being given V as a baby. I think it's pretty much confirmed that everyone with powers was given V.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Romes128 posted:

Seems like V gave powers as a baby and maybe enhances them as adults?

Starlight confronted her mother about her being given V as a baby. I think it's pretty much confirmed that everyone with powers was given V.

Her mom was one of those stereotypical pageant moms, right? Because then that would make sense.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Her mom was one of those stereotypical pageant moms, right? Because then that would make sense.

Yea. Starlight complains about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

If they do the G-Men, I really hope they skip G-Style because yikes.

You think they'll skip doing Flamer?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Did you sleep through the final episodes by any chance? :psyduck:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm only about halfway through the series.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The world makes sense again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soooo I walk through Vought HQ to get to work every day. Guess who walked thru a season 2 shoot today???

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

as to the first question my reading was these newer supes may just be faster in general and a-train just happened to be the fastest guy at the time he got put in the seven.

His line "there're no comebacks at my age" supports it just being an aging athlete thing. He's just not as young as he was anymore and someone in their physical prime could beat him. He's taking Compound V so that he can beat Shockwave in a race and recover from injuries, his trainer points out its having bad long-term effects on his health, but he keeps at it because the Seven don't want the 2nd fastest guy in the world.

As for the G-Men, it's probably going to be massively reworked. Everything about them was over-the-top in a way the show is trying to avoid or tone down, and it wasn't even a particularly good critique of the X-Men themselves.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 29, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm almost expecting Deep to end up as some kind of ecoterrorist given that he genuinely seems to care about Dolphins and other marine life.

That dolphin he was trying to save, though... Not so sure that dolphin was some Saint.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I'm almost expecting Deep to end up as some kind of ecoterrorist given that he genuinely seems to care about Dolphins and other marine life.

He's probably going to drift into some sort of domestic terrorist angle. In the comic there's a one-panel gag where Vought has him wear a KKK-styled costume and his last scene of the series has him shaving his head after hitting rock bottom.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

That dolphin he was trying to save, though... Not so sure that dolphin was some Saint.

Drawn from real life. Dolphins are horny af. They're dangerous to trainers not because they'll attack them, but because they'll try to gently caress them and might hold someone underwater to do so.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PostNouveau posted:

Drawn from real life. Dolphins are horny af. They're dangerous to trainers not because they'll attack them, but because they'll try to gently caress them and might hold someone underwater to do so.

Alright I got 46 seconds to make this dolphin cum or I'm dead

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PostNouveau posted:

I'm just imagining having to hear them talk it up the whole time. :stonk:

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Rocksicles posted:

also she'd(apparently) been hosed by a god for 3 hours.

So, since they are twisting the comic around, maybe they will also change the plotline where instead of Maeve being raped/tag-teamed by Homelander and Black Noir that it was Becca. Turns out the boy is/"might" actually be Black Noir's son. Who knows if they will keep any of either of those two plotlines though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Groovelord Neato posted:

one thing that makes me think they may keep the one good thing from the comic is the scene where he has sex with stillwell is played like he's a virgin. doesn't really make sense that he'd be having marathon sex or be the one to rape butcher's wife.

Unless they keep the thing from the comic where Black Noir is a clone of Homelander. Maybe it was Noir dressed as Homelander? Hell, any time we see Homelander, it might actually be Black Noir

Non spoiler: I keep typing "Homelander" as "Homerlander"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's what i meant by the "one good thing". unless you mean they're doing the reverse of the comic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's what i meant by the "one good thing". unless you mean they're doing the reverse of the comic.

Yeah, I wasn't clear. Whoops! That maybe some of the times that we see Homelander on the show isn't really him

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Davros1 posted:

Unless they keep the thing from the comic where Black Noir is a clone of Homelander. Maybe it was Noir dressed as Homelander? Hell, any time we see Homelander, it might actually be Black Noir

I noticed a little something with Homelander's costume, which I thought it was an odd wardrobe error but know you guys are making me think :tinfoil:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

I noticed a little something with Homelander's costume, which I thought it was an odd wardrobe error but know you guys are making me think :tinfoil:

Gonna need this in the form of a 2000-word Medium post with photos.

tia

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Desperado Bones posted:

This referring to the times one corner of the chest thing was turned down, or something else?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Piell posted:

This referring to the times one corner of the chest thing was turned down, or something else?

Yup. I liked that design, because the small red looks just nice against the blue fabric, so it was odd not seeing it always. I dunno if it was to imply Homelander's psycho/not psycho moments, the comic book story you are talking about, or was just a small "oops we forgot"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

You think they'll skip doing Flamer?

I just hope they skip Superduper.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Yup. I liked that design, because the small red looks just nice against the blue fabric, so it was odd not seeing it always. I dunno if it was to imply Homelander's psycho/not psycho moments, the comic book story you are talking about, or was just a small "oops we forgot"

Pretty sure that is just supposed to be a sign of him being 'casual'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Panfilo posted:

The show does a good job of showing just how dangerous Superheroes would really be, even in the best of circumstances.

I dunno if you're a comic reader at all, but a decade back Mark Waid came out with a pretty good series called Irredeemable (and a sister series Incorruptible) that dealt with that, but with less nihilism than The Boys had.

In Irredeemable, the Superman-esque character Plutonian snaps after a horrible accident he caused comes to light, he goes on a rampage and becomes an extreme despot. Former teammates of his try to work together to take him down.

In Incorruptible, it's the opposite story. The villain Max Damage was going to release a deadly plague, but when he saw Plutonian's rampage he had a change of heart and decided to become a hero. He's actually one of the few characters that can go toe-to-toe with Plutonian, but it makes him erratic because his powers get stronger the longer he goes without sleeping.

E: how did I misspell Incorruptable wrong

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 30, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Desperado Bones posted:

Was it that sometimes his chest thing is buttoned down and sometimes buttoned up?? I noticed that but figured it was a formal /casual dress thing

Edit:yes it is

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Irredeemable was good for the first few arcs but boy did it get repetitive.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The lapel thing kind of reminded me of the old Star Trek red federation uniforms that were sometimes open and closed, I assumed some protocol dictated it.

Speaking of uniforms, I noticed that Starlight is the only one of the Seven to be out of uniform. Homelander mentions he ditched his secret identity a long time ago but I bet this is more about them being in an extreme type of Kayfabe. Though it's funny that The Deep is wearing his while trying to rescue the dolphin and also when gassing up his H3. Maeve also drunkenly shows up at her girlfriends place in uniform as well though considering they filmed her little spat I guess Voight is willing to try to monetize the drama.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

We do see A-Train later on out of uniform

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I have a slightly different problem in that I keep subconsciously referring to Homelander as Statesman, thanks to way too many years associating "American Flag Costume" with the superhero MMO character.

Show was good, the gill rape scene squicked me the gently caress right out. More than any of the other extreme scenes in the show, that one really just flipped all the discomfort switches.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

It doesn't seem like they're going with that direction: the actor for Black Noir is black, and all the material on his character seems to build him up as a superpowered ninja. But he's so low-key throughout this whole season that he could be sandbagging.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morrow posted:

It doesn't seem like they're going with that direction: the actor for Black Noir is black, and all the material on his character seems to build him up as a superpowered ninja. But he's so low-key throughout this whole season that he could be sandbagging.

Yeah, I definitely got the vibe they're gonna use him in a bigger role in season 2 since they kept him in the background in the first.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Morrow posted:

They've done similar things in other superhero shows. Plus he never talks or takes his mask off. They could keep the Black Noir reveal from the comics or go a completely different route

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda doubt the Black Noir stuff simply because it looks like he gets injured by Kimiko when they throw down in the alley. If he was a Homelander clone, it wouldn't have even been a close fight, much less one where he gets cut,

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda doubt the Black Noir stuff simply because it looks like he gets injured by Kimiko when they throw down in the alley. If he was a Homelander clone, it wouldn't have even been a close fight, much less one where he gets cut,

Yeah, also the actor has a recurring role on various other superhero shows. I mean, he's done stunt work too, but they could have hired an absolute nobody a lot cheaper if they never intended to use him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So I read that in the comic, he was a clone of Homelander who existed as this failsafe to kill Homelander if he ever went rogue. Buuuuut....

What if Noir did that but went rogue himself? Or what if they BOTH went rogue and teamed up? I know that in the comics he kills Homelander and Butcher kills Noir, but it was an incredibly dumb plan by Voight. Given that Homelander can't see through Zinc I'd assume they engineered an obscure 'kryptonite' as a failsafe instead. But I guess it just shows how shortsighted they were about the whole thing.

Also, given how effective they are at surveillance and tracking crimes in progress, I'm totally expecting a lot of these 'crimes' to be rigged. Because otherwise I don't see who in their right mind would be robbing a major bank or anything like that - supes would be on your rear end in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Panfilo posted:

So I read that in the comic, he was a clone of Homelander who existed as this failsafe to kill Homelander if he ever went rogue. Buuuuut....

What if Noir did that but went rogue himself? Or what if they BOTH went rogue and teamed up? I know that in the comics he kills Homelander and Butcher kills Noir, but it was an incredibly dumb plan by Voight. Given that Homelander can't see through Zinc I'd assume they engineered an obscure 'kryptonite' as a failsafe instead. But I guess it just shows how shortsighted they were about the whole thing.

Also, given how effective they are at surveillance and tracking crimes in progress, I'm totally expecting a lot of these 'crimes' to be rigged. Because otherwise I don't see who in their right mind would be robbing a major bank or anything like that - supes would be on your rear end in seconds.

Comics spoilers:

Black Noir actually did go nuts from being so close to his target but never given the kill order. So he actually started committing atrocities dressed in the Homelander suit, filmed himself doing poo poo like eating a baby and skull loving a person to death and released the photos.
That made Homelander doubt himself/his own mind etc, went full 'gently caress everything' and tried to stage a superhero coup.
HL has only figured out after he had murdered the Vice President that he had been basically manipulated by Black Noir into getting the government to issue the kill order on him.

He was totally fixated on his mission, but cracked up at the endless waiting to get to do it