Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Got San Diego in my daily built attempt, but apparently she's mostly a meme?

She's not a bad ship though, very strong AA stats. And once we get her retrofit she'll be one of the best ships in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Main problem with Sandy is AA doesn't become a major issue until World 12. So she kinda sat around with nothing to do for a long time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Appreciate the advice.

I got the research lab to open up and right now I'm at the 'if it does not unduly strain my resources do the project' phase. I'm not going to waste a ton of coins or - God forbid - Wisdom Cubes but some projects don't take much. The grinding up 1 million EXP comes naturally, though. One fleet has Indy and Portland, the other has Northampton/Houston/Chicago pretty much because that's who I pulled. Saint Louis is the first one I'm going after because I didn't have enough ships to unlock the others, or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

San Diego, also known as Sandy or more cryptically as 3d5 (Japanese San(3) D Go(5)), is an SSR whose default version is a mediocre at best cruiser with a massive AA stat when AA wasn’t really useful early on. Combine this with her airheaded personality, historical combat record, and seemingly uncanny ability to constantly spook your rolls and she gained a bit of a reputation.

However a while back they gave her a Retrofit that turns her into one of the stronger cruisers in the game.

Watashi wa Numba Wan indeed

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized last night I had 100 wisdom cubes and even more finishers so I decided to blow them until i got an SR that I didn't already have in batches for 4. Got the Hood and the Atago from the game group of pulls. I looked around and the Hood is good, just not as good as Prince of Wales, and the Atago is about the same as the Takao.

I still have about 60 left

Aparently the Azur Lane Dojins deal with PTSD?
https://imgur.com/a/npjDvCO?fbclid=IwAR0X_2LdAEZZqLQQS7PPkqcFZDqlxBdd00kBC3ZK5QWpXsU1eeOVXtAUJIw
Its about as SFW as the game is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Lots of the ships have pretty hardcore PTSD, yeah. Arizona is the most obvious one. She’s never all there due to her violent sinking at Pearl with basically all hands dying aboard.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Juneau is another obviously traumatized one.

"I... often have nightmares about five brothers whose faces are all blurred, and they tell me to come with them... It's really scary..."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I actually just finished touring USS The Sullivans this afternoon. I don't have a great way to upload my pictures until tomorrow though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I know now to beware of gimmick PVP teams, by which I mean only two ships but they're both five stars. And married.

I'm getting Prinz Eugen tomorrow. Is she worth the investment?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

She can take a hit but she can't really dish it out in return, being a torpedo CA with no offensive skills. Her popularity mainly stems from, ah, other factors. Still, she's perfectly usable for most of the game, like all CAs she suffers a bit at high levels but gets a lot of evasion post-100.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Dawgstar posted:

I know now to beware of gimmick PVP teams, by which I mean only two ships but they're both five stars. And married.

To be fair, a lot of folks will choose only two ships for PVP because there's no real reward for placing at the end of the season, so they try to make it easier for folks to get their exercise points.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I looked around and the Hood is good, just not as good as Prince of Wales, and the Atago is about the same as the Takao.

Hood and PoW are good at different things. PoW is a good self-sufficient (at least until the later chapters) battleship that can protect herself against suicide boats, making her good for mob fleets (Nelson/Rodney are better though). Hood is good at nuking the left 1/3rd of the screen with her barrage, which makes her great at fighting bosses.

Atago is slightly worse than Takao due to the CA guns with HE ammo being on average less good than the ones using AP, but the difference is only noticeable later on (like, Chapters 9 and beyond).

If you really want to roll right now I'd roll Special to try to nab Centaur before her rate-up ends and she gets drowned in the general SSR pool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Finally picked up both Souryuu and Hiryuu. It's not as impressive as getting the foxes, I know, but they're already starting to work well together in my main fleet.

Also I kinda want Hiryuu's After School Bullies skin, but I need to finish expanding the residency in my dorm first before blowing Gems on cosmetics.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 29, 2019

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Catastrophe90 posted:

Hood and PoW are good at different things. PoW is a good self-sufficient (at least until the later chapters) battleship that can protect herself against suicide boats, making her good for mob fleets (Nelson/Rodney are better though). Hood is good at nuking the left 1/3rd of the screen with her barrage, which makes her great at fighting bosses.

Atago is slightly worse than Takao due to the CA guns with HE ammo being on average less good than the ones using AP, but the difference is only noticeable later on (like, Chapters 9 and beyond).

If you really want to roll right now I'd roll Special to try to nab Centaur before her rate-up ends and she gets drowned in the general SSR pool.

The new prototype guns help too. Atago over L100 with the proto 203mm is actually decent, still not great but decent. Ditto about Centaur, get her while the getting's good. There are so many ships now, the pool is a bitch to get a particular ship from.

My new favourite back row while grinding XP for the Izumo: Amagi, Nagato, Hyuuga (retro). The skills mesh beautifully and the damage is incredible.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
there’s an event starting soon + anniversary so unless you REALLY want Centaur there’s no reason to roll for her as she is added permanently to the pool

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
im the resident whale so heed my advice

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MotU posted:

there’s an event starting soon + anniversary so unless you REALLY want Centaur there’s no reason to roll for her as she is added permanently to the pool

For those of us with all the other ships already, it makes sense to get her now while the rate is up. Like I just got mine, 38 cubes expended and only one trash SSR to retire. It's not a bad ship for a CVL, 3 plane layout, extra strike skill and fleet AVI/FP boost skill.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah Centaur is apparently as good as Enterprise despite being a light carrier with 2 fighter/1 torp slots. Her red skill drops 12 torpedoes that are almost as good as Barracuda torpedoes and slow down hit ships, and her yellow skill buffs Aviation and Firepower for carriers/BBs. She has more HP, Evasion and Reload than Enterprise, and only 8 points less Aviation, though Centaur's AA and Luck stats are somewhat lower.

"so this is the power, of the jet age"

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah Centaur is apparently as good as Enterprise despite being a light carrier with 2 fighter/1 torp slots. Her red skill drops 12 torpedoes that are almost as good as Barracuda torpedoes and slow down hit ships, and her yellow skill buffs Aviation and Firepower for carriers/BBs. She has more HP, Evasion and Reload than Enterprise, and only 8 points less Aviation, though Centaur's AA and Luck stats are somewhat lower.

I don't know what to do anymore, I guess. And I suppose it's a good thing. I've been running Queen Elizabeth, Hood, and Illustrious pretty much since I started playing (all three dropped relatively quickly) with Belfast, Leandry (sometimes Eldridge), and Sirius with few exceptions. But Centaur being that good means I'll probably want to develop two RN fleets-one focused on air power, and the other on the shoulders of backrow barrages.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

C.M. Kruger posted:

Nice picture. My dad served on the HMAS Sydney in the late 50s/early 60s before transferring to submarines. He said he never got to fly in anything, when his name got close to the top of the list they had for crew to go for a ride they chucked a couple of planes off the deck straight in front of the ship. He said that made him (and a few others) scrub their names out while they argued if it was the catapult, the planes or the pilots.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MotU posted:

So on average how many ships do you have to build at a time for an SR?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MotU posted:

Yea that was kind of my plan but I was all might as well burn off some cubes and maybe get new Waifus.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I mean Centaur is the best carrier in the game (even above Enty) so you should probably try to snag her now while her rate is higher.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

So on average how many ships do you have to build at a time for an SR?

I mean I’ve gotten every event ship from an event in 40 cubes before and then there’s the time Minneapolis took me 260 cubes so it varies

But again Centaur isn’t game defining despite being a good carrier and she’s there permanently so if you don’t have hundreds of cubes and want to ensure you actually get all limited ships if you care about collecting then I suggest you factor in her permanency.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Got centaur in 16 cubes, so not bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Got Belfast, which I'm happy about. Now I just need a good light cruiser gun with HE.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Got Belfast, which I'm happy about. Now I just need a good light cruiser gun with HE.

keep your eye out for the triple 155mm mounted gun

it’s probably the only easily accessible he gun for belfast

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

UHD posted:

keep your eye out for the triple 155mm mounted gun

it’s probably the only easily accessible he gun for belfast

Will do, appreciate it.

In other news I did my first sub mission and got Kaga as a drop. Sometihng that confuses me is I've got a Aichi E161 Zuiun and none of my carriers can equip it and I figured if anybody could she'd be able to.

Edit: Never mind, it's only for Aviation Battleships or Sub Carriers and I don't have any of those.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Saratoga's Kizuna Ai skin will become available after maintenance tonight if you missed it.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Dehry posted:

Looks like Saratoga's Kizuna Ai skin will become available after maintenance tonight if you missed it.

Do they ever run repeats of seasonal/event stuff? Kinda like the older banner reruns in Fire Emblem Heroes?

Also I got my two fleets leveled up but now I'm hitting an equipment wall where levels aren't enough to grind through stuff. I need to farm some better AA guns.

It's pretty awesome when I get a full proc of Penn + Helena + Cleveland at the 20 second mark. That's a lot of damage followed up with an actual Penn shot. :hellyeah:

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

Do they ever run repeats of seasonal/event stuff? Kinda like the older banner reruns in Fire Emblem Heroes?

Also I got my two fleets leveled up but now I'm hitting an equipment wall where levels aren't enough to grind through stuff. I need to farm some better AA guns.

It's pretty awesome when I get a full proc of Penn + Helena + Cleveland at the 20 second mark. That's a lot of damage followed up with an actual Penn shot. :hellyeah:

Yeah most events have an eventual rerun version with all the original stuff plus some new things.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Dehry posted:

the only thing i see for this is they're are added voice acting to it, was it listed somewhere else?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Decided to pull for ten ships and got all the limited ones but Baltimore, so that's cool.

What's the trick to getting less than ten enemy ships deployed on the first mission?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Decided to pull for ten ships and got all the limited ones but Baltimore, so that's cool.

What's the trick to getting less than ten enemy ships deployed on the first mission?

It's not enemy ships, it's your ships.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MotU posted:

the only thing i see for this is they're are added voice acting to it, was it listed somewhere else?

Hmm. I thought she was already voiced. I guess I misread the update tweet.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Are the event stages scaled to your level? Or if you're not capped you're boned for the later ones/hard mode.

Also goddamn the artwork in this game is terrible in all the worst ways. They need to add a blank loading screen option. And get rid of the event reward ship. :stonk:

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

Are the event stages scaled to your level? Or if you're not capped you're boned for the later ones/hard mode.

Also goddamn the artwork in this game is terrible in all the worst ways. They need to add a blank loading screen option. And get rid of the event reward ship. :stonk:

Nope it's the same for everyone. Most big events are fairly low level though and don't require any sort of optimized fleets to clear.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

general events like this go:

base story maps are A and B and cap out around the mid lv 50s

the hard modes are C and D will go to around lv 90, they give more base event currency but don’t have daily 3x bonuses

you don’t need to do hard modes to finish missions unless you want the vanity housing item or to do extremes

extremes require finishing D3, are lv 100 or 110, cost no oil to enter or sortie, award nothing but internet points, and are total horseshit

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1156671372233330688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

OGS-Remix posted:

Every patch I pray for the dumb bath one to be removed. But we are living in dark times. :(