Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Baron von Eevl posted:

I didn't even realize they had gotten rid of this, but looking now minicrits on headshot are really loving powerful. Fully charged headshots will 1-hit everyone but heavy at base health, plus covering them in jarate, plus it charges faster.

You realise that even moderately charged headshots with any other rifle will do the same amount of killing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jabor posted:

You realise that even moderately charged headshots with any other rifle will do the same amount of killing, right?

Sure, but I'm comparing this against the older "it jarates them if it charges enough, also headshots do nothing" or the updated "it jarates them, also if you headshot them there's a jarate splash."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChaseSP posted:

Also while we're complaining about nerfs gently caress i miss the old Baby Face Blaster. I understand it was actual bullshit due to outrunning your hitbox but it really loving fun running all over the place with it and being a menace that could be anywhere at any time if there were stairs available.

I wish you didn't nearly slow down as much just from being grazed with how it works now.

Agreed, kinda funny that most of Scout's alternate weapons besides the sodas and milk have gotten nerfed into being suboptimal choices

Galaxander posted:

The cleaver is really good still, too. Heck, why not give the cleaver+wrap assassin combo a try? I did once and felt like I was cheating almost. Heck of a lot more damage than pistol spam could ever manage.

So what?

Cleaver and Wrap Assassin has long been a favorite of mine, it's great for a "harass enemy snipers and spies" loadout

Baron von Eevl posted:

I didn't even realize they had gotten rid of this, but looking now minicrits on headshot are really loving powerful. Fully charged headshots will 1-hit everyone but heavy at base health, plus covering them in jarate, plus it charges faster.

Yeah Sydney Sleeper is still plenty good, indeed it's probably the best rifle for new Snipers, cause even body shots still have a benefit

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, kinda funny that most of Scout's alternate weapons besides the sodas and milk have gotten nerfed into being suboptimal choices

(Me, yelling because I'm flying well above your head): The Winger has utilityyyyyyyyyy!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

(Me, yelling because I'm flying well above your head): The Winger has utilityyyyyyyyyy!

Well yeah the Winger too

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Isn't the Pocket Pistol still considered the best choice for scout secondaries? I haven't used it for a minute.

e: except milk

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
The pistol that lets you shove as your alt fire is sooooooo lame. I've spent entire rounds trying to push people off poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FalloutGod posted:

The pistol that lets you shove as your alt fire is sooooooo lame. I've spent entire rounds trying to push people off poo poo.

I used it to good effect a couple times on a x100 hightower server, but honestly the FAN was more effective and easy to use.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Uuuuugh oh my god I wish Steel had better navigational signals. Just played 2 rounds of it.

Round 1: I'm on Defense. We're down to our last point, E. When you leave spawn there are two signs, one that says " <- C" and one that says "D ->". I spend 2 minutes running down one corridor, somehow ending up back at spawn, and running down the other. We lose. I never found E.

Round 2: Offense. We push all the way to C. There is a sign in spawn indicating that the left path leads to B and C. I get to B. There is only one obvious path. I follow it. I'm at E. Repeat a couple of times, with me following different subpaths and always ending up at E or D. Eventually I follow one of my teammates, who leads me down a small side path with a sign saying "C" which was not visible from B. We lose.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Play it more, you'll get used to it quickly and it's a very good map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
When I was actually good at scout I went stock pistol almost 100% of the time, bullet shooting man demands more bullets to shoot

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Steel is a really good map, but I agree that it could stand to be labeled better.

From Blu's perspective, A and D are on the left, B and C are on the right. E is in the middle, and there's basically a ring around E that connects all four other points. A-D and B-C both have doors between them that open once the first of the two points is captured.

The opening of doors makes it really dynamic and helps herd players away from points that aren't contested yet, but it also makes it really hard to grasp what the map is like during different stages of the round.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Remember when they gave Scout a new primary and they made it use his Secondary ammo? Ha ha. What the gently caress were they thinking

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
there are signs everywhere and a giant map on each spawn, how much more do you need your hand held? Like sure it’s going to take a few rounds to figure out the flanks and when all the gates open and stuff but it’s not that complicated overall.

Some people just seem to object to having a map that isn’t completely linear.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wait, is there a map? I must have missed that. Unless you’re talking about the chalkboard that illustrates what order the points can be accessed in, which is not a map because it doesn’t actually show you how to get from one point to the next.

And yes, there are signs everywhere, but that signage is often insufficient. I gave two specific examples of this in my post.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Steel is a well designed map, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they get confused especially around the C to D and E parts.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

CP_Steel: hate it until you love it

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The main B-C gate is really kinda stupidly hidden, but heading pretty much anywhere from B (other than back to the spawn) will lead you either to E or to one of three different exits to C

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Genuinely, my only big issue with the map (yet I 100% see and know why it was done this way) is that once Offense captures D, there's no direct path for Defense to get to E - you need to go through C or D to defend E. Sure, it'd be harder for Offense to slow-cap E if a steady stream of defenders flooded out 3 feet away, but I've seen many games where 1-2 defenders find their ways to E while the entire blue team is sitting on the point, the others frantically running down hallways blindly looking for it. Steel is also one of those progressively heavier steamroll-type maps - once things start turning in Blue's favor it's a lot harder for Red to take things back.

Also nothing makes me happier than Blue stratigizing before the round starts and sending engineers, pyros, soldiers demos and scouts to E within the first 30 seconds while a few stragglers keep pressure on A. Level 3s on my E cap point? It's more likely than you think!

EDIT: Can GRU heavy still make the E jump?

Otacon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 30, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think it's a tragedy when red wins in any A/D situation, because it likely means most of the match was spent with blue throwing their bodies into a meat grinder because casual players won't coordinate. Not that red doesn't earn the victory, but it's just boring to play from either side.

So I think it's good that Steel becomes increasingly stacked against red.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Galaxander posted:

I think it's a tragedy when red wins in any A/D situation, because it likely means most of the match was spent with blue throwing their bodies into a meat grinder because casual players won't coordinate. Not that red doesn't earn the victory, but it's just boring to play from either side.

Stopwatch mode is more fun (since both teams get to “win” in the sense of actually making progress) and allows better map design (since you don’t have to balance the defensiveness of points around the “average team” being able to sometimes defend it). This is one of the things that Overwatch got right.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Stopwatch mode is more fun (since both teams get to “win” in the sense of actually making progress) and allows better map design (since you don’t have to balance the defensiveness of points around the “average team” being able to sometimes defend it). This is one of the things that Overwatch got right.

Yeah it's a real shame they got rid of stopwatch in casual mode. I understand why they did it, but I think they could have just let the match play out full length and then declare a winner based on time. It wouldn't really solve my problem, but it would be an improvement at least.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Galaxander posted:

What if there was a map where every kill red got decreased their defense timer a bit?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Otacon posted:

Genuinely, my only big issue with the map (yet I 100% see and know why it was done this way) is that once Offense captures D, there's no direct path for Defense to get to E - you need to go through C or D to defend E. Sure, it'd be harder for Offense to slow-cap E if a steady stream of defenders flooded out 3 feet away, but I've seen many games where 1-2 defenders find their ways to E while the entire blue team is sitting on the point, the others frantically running down hallways blindly looking for it. Steel is also one of those progressively heavier steamroll-type maps - once things start turning in Blue's favor it's a lot harder for Red to take things back.

Also nothing makes me happier than Blue stratigizing before the round starts and sending engineers, pyros, soldiers demos and scouts to E within the first 30 seconds while a few stragglers keep pressure on A. Level 3s on my E cap point? It's more likely than you think!

EDIT: Can GRU heavy still make the E jump?

Yeah, steel is one of those rare maps where a really well coordinated blu with a solid strategy can completely blow away red regardless of either team's dm and 1v1 abilities. D is basically an optional point that makes e hilariously easy to cap, but d can be one of the harder points to get if red is paying any attention at all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Sean " 'HEYOOOOO' " Cutino

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Is there any way to pick a server you want to play? Like the old server browser?

I reinstalled this game after a 2-3 year hiatus, to find there is now 'comp' and 'casual' with casual plunking me into a 100 ping east coast server where the lag was terrible

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Community tab is what you want. Valve servers cannot be directly logged into since meet your match I believe

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

diapermeat posted:

Is there any way to pick a server you want to play? Like the old server browser?

I reinstalled this game after a 2-3 year hiatus, to find there is now 'comp' and 'casual' with casual plunking me into a 100 ping east coast server where the lag was terrible

Boot TF2, click your icon in the top left, and change your Matchmaking settings to a better region

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

diapermeat posted:

technically yes but valve servers have all been removed from the server browser and all the community servers died so unless you're hankering for Skial 24/7 Hightower there isn't much point

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Dabir posted:

What if there was a map where every kill red got decreased their defense timer a bit?

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would change pubbies' mindset of camping chokes with sentries and spam. It would shorten the rounds but wouldn't really make them more fun imo. I'd still just avoid those modes entirely.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think it would only succeed in making the worst person on your team hurt the entirety that much more, at least as it is they can be a bullet sponge and distract enemies from actual risks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
it would destroy my entire way of playing AD which is to go Demo and run Iron Bomber/Splendid Screen/Strange Killstreak Pain Train ( :popeye: ) and try to kill a couple before I die and sneak time on the point.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

reignofevil posted:

One hit kill on the scout. One hit. You just had to hit him one single time with a direct hit or shoot his feet twice in the time it took him to stun you at mid-range, which also means getting stunned never ever happened at close quarters unless you were dumb enough to chase the scout once he disengaged from you. If you can't use the direct hit well enough to hit the scout once and he CAN use his sandman and cleaver well enough to hit you twice, you deserved to lose!

That HP downside to the sandman is huge because dying is a 15 second stun-lock AND you lose all your positional advantages in a game where controlling territory = victory, I was basically going around making it easy for people to remove me from the game in exchange for making them unable to shoot, sometimes, accuracy and location permitting.

Finally, honestly? I don't really care if people didn't like losing to the sandman. I don't like losing to lots of things! I don't like pyro jetpacks! I'm not fond of the way bonk atomic punch lets laggy scouts run up to me as sniper and force-a-nature 2 shot me and I don't like how the way Valve arranged packets to reach your computer from the server that disconnects head-boxes from head location! I don't like the iron bomber because it really doesn't have a downside! It's bullshit that Demoman can blind charge around corners with the Tide Turner now and when your team isn't Johnny on the spot about chasing after him he can shut down your spawn-area in such a way that it takes ten tries to really dislodge him. Did I mention that class gets to have more HP based on how many morons such as myself they managed to kill?

But you know what? Removing basically any of that makes for a worse game imo. Removing sandman cleaver combo made for a worse game.

Remove all non stock weapons except the Kritz and melee weapons imo.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How in the hell do people get so good at pubstomping with demoknight? I've got an embarrassing amount of hours in the game and I usually top frag in pubs, but doing anything better than okay as demoknight is just beyond me. Is there a trick or do you just have to do it for hours?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

diapermeat posted:

Yeah right click your icon in the top left and limit your ping settings.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So on a whim I decided to clear my backpack of as many duplicate weapons as possible by smelting them down to scrap, turns out I had a lot of junk, like 172 Scrap's worth of it, guess I'll be making myself some new hats

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Just buy hats, almost everything is like two ref or less now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Well with 19 Ref guess that means I'll be able to get a few new hats, at least once I can get my profile on scrap.tf working properly(for some stupid reason it doesn't seem to want to let me access the trading sections of the site as it thinks I haven't updated my privacy settings for my Steam account)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Grapplejack posted:

How do I go about buying hats with refined metals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

How do I go about buying hats with refined metals?

https://scrap.tf/buy/hats