Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

12-15 is what I aim for. I used to do 20+, but at some point I realized that coming home with 14 AC/20 rounds still in the mech was a waste that could have been a couple more medium lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
2 tons of Gauss or AC10 is 16 shots IIRC, and basically I never run out with 2 tons per for those.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

KPC_Mammon posted:

I feel like breaking Los while cooling down between massive attacks is Battletech 102.

This but melee attacks.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lazyhound posted:

What’s the lore explanation for a truck carrying more SRMs than an assault mech?

Remember that SRM carriers weigh 60 tons, they just look tiny because the art design deliberately makes vehicles look less imposing. The lore actually does come close to reflecting the reality that tanks are way better weapons platforms than humanoid designs, the main ways they artificially make the mechs better is how hit locations work (vehicles only get 4 and killing one kills the vehicle) and vulnerability to motive system hits (which isn't in the PC game).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Took the advice on the laser hunchback, and it's been working great. I didn't realize that attacking from the side was going to be so much stronger than attacks from the rear/front.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I ran the Flattened Earth flashpoint severely undertonned and basically abused the Raven to carry me to victory. I had my AC20 hunchback absolutely trashed (it's going to take nearly 20 days to fix, so it's going into retirement) thanks to some incredibly poor timing involving a sensor lock and two incredibly lucky Jagermechs. But I knew that the first mission had a Cyclops-Z, so I beelined right for it and headshot it then booked it to the evac zone - They might have only given me 2/8 salvage for that mission but when there's 3 mech parts and 3 weapons for the whole table that fucker is mine. I also walked away with 1/3 of a SLDF Highlander for my reward at the end, though pretty much my entire roster took a heavy rear end beating.

New and improved roster is now a Cyclops-Z, an Orion-V kitted for brawling, a Catapult-C4, and a Raven. Getting back to a respectable force again on this playthrough, 909 days to go.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Generally I'll go for 12-15 rounds of shooting to make sure I have enough ammo. 10 is pushing it but probably doable.

Attack/Defend missions where all the reinforcements trigger have been known to run me out of ammo. Not ideal, obviously, but sometimes you can't fight to the enemy base AND keep the friendly base clear of badguys.

Just restarted an ironman campaign (the GODDAMN APCs killed my last one) and I'm wishing for a good TTS computer drop or sale to help deal with light mechs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I only get good TTS long after my pilots have high gunnery. :(

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Vasudus posted:

New and improved roster is now a Cyclops-Z, an Orion-V kitted for brawling, a Catapult-C4, and a Raven. Getting back to a respectable force again on this playthrough, 909 days to go.

The Z is the most important mech in the game, as it lets you run assaults with coolant flush pilots at initiative 2.

I run the Z with 6xML and 10xSRM (leaves space for a gyro) and 1 ton of ammo with near max armor. Put a brawler in it and it works wonders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Are some mechs flagged unsalvageable or something?

I'm doing this flashpoint with the Stalker and even when I headcap it in one shot it doesn't show up in the loot.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

OAquinas posted:

Generally I'll go for 12-15 rounds of shooting to make sure I have enough ammo. 10 is pushing it but probably doable.

Attack/Defend missions where all the reinforcements trigger have been known to run me out of ammo. Not ideal, obviously, but sometimes you can't fight to the enemy base AND keep the friendly base clear of badguys.

Just restarted an ironman campaign (the GODDAMN APCs killed my last one) and I'm wishing for a good TTS computer drop or sale to help deal with light mechs.

Remember that melee attacks and support weapons ignore evasion.

*Side eyes the Spider*

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are some mechs flagged unsalvageable or something?

I'm doing this flashpoint with the Stalker and even when I headcap it in one shot it doesn't show up in the loot.

Some flashpoints by design (not bug) have you fight wierd custom mechs you can't salvage. The super Stalker is one of them. Also the one where you have to choose between fighting a Jagermech with gauss rifles or a Thunderbolt with pulse lasers.

E: I don't know if you can mod it so they're salvageable or not.

E2: There is a flashpoint that references an enemy command mech, which is a Cyclps Z that can be salvaged just fine.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 31, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sean10mm posted:

Some flashpoints by design (not bug) have you fight wierd custom mechs you can't salvage. The super Stalker is one of them. Also the one where you have to choose between fighting a Jagermech with gauss rifles or a Thunderbolt with pulse lasers.

E2: There is a flashpoint that references an enemy command mech, which is a Cyclps Z that can be salvaged just fine.

which one has the cyclops? !!

Thanks though you saved me a bunch more reloads.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

which one has the cyclops? !!

Thanks though you saved me a bunch more reloads.

Flattened Earth. It's a Capellen flashpoint. It's in the very first mission, an assassination 4v5.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Pretty easily actually, just get rid of the blacklisted tag on the mechdef.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

blackmongoose posted:

Remember that SRM carriers weigh 60 tons, they just look tiny because the art design deliberately makes vehicles look less imposing. The lore actually does come close to reflecting the reality that tanks are way better weapons platforms than humanoid designs, the main ways they artificially make the mechs better is how hit locations work (vehicles only get 4 and killing one kills the vehicle) and vulnerability to motive system hits (which isn't in the PC game).

The great vulnerability of vehicles (outside the melee damage modifier in the PC game) is that everything is in one place once you get through the crunchy shell. Many vehicles however have less armor on them than a mech of the same tonnage, but that's in part because many vehicles have ICE instead of fusion engines (and even those are heavier).

Also many of the early vehicle designs were baaaaaaaaaad. They also changed the tabletop rules a while back to make vehicles far less fragile.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Properly built tanks are really really scary, their only limiting factor is really that they're rarely able to afford anything decent in the way of speed, because their engines get an extra penalty multiplier on weight.

Hovers exist of course, but they can't go all that heavy like an assault tank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
loving Demolishers and Schreks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Demolishers are mean but Schrecks ain’t poo poo.

I’d rather face two Schrecks than a single SRM carrier. Or, worse, an LRM carrier with a spotter to let it shoot across the map from cover.

There are only three KOS, drop everything and squash that bug vehicles: demolisher and the two missile carriers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
tfw you see '60 Ton Vehicle' slide into your radar followed by an endless deluge of concentrated gently caress-you

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

loving alacorns man....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Demolishers are mean but Schrecks ain’t poo poo.

I’d rather face two Schrecks than a single SRM carrier. Or, worse, an LRM carrier with a spotter to let it shoot across the map from cover.

There are only three KOS, drop everything and squash that bug vehicles: demolisher and the two missile carriers.

True. loving SRM carriers are evil incarnate.

Schrek can do some damage and strip armor at the worst times though.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Also i strongly advise everyone to get the vehicle improvement project. If demolisher are in your kill it with fire now list in vanilla, youre gonna drop them when you run into behemoths and ac20 hovercrafts

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It'd be cool if they added VTOLs, even if just to give light autocannons a reason to exist like in MW:LL. The helicopter with the gauss rifle would be pretty nasty.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What makes a Cicada good?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

When your shooting at it instead of driving it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Selling it.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cicada Spin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Been playing some 3025 and I got the Cicada as a starting mech like 3 times and holy gently caress I'm so glad I pilot sniped a griffin just now because 10 or so missions was more than enough to hate the cicada

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Cicada was effectively listed as a training mech for multiple IS armies. Wonder why.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

In mods where you can gently caress around with different engine sizes they’re a good source of cores for your assaults or heavies.

Other than that they seem pretty trash.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

There is nothing the Cicada does that can't be done better by a 35 ton light.

Except, perhaps, dying.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Cicada 2A has less usable tonnage than every light mech in the game, plus worse initiative.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The CDA-2A has 6 energy and 2 support hardpoints but only 6.5 usable tonnage. The -3C has more usable tonnage but inexplicably has 1 energy, 2 ballistic and 3 support hardpoints.

In-universe, the guy who designed this should have been shot.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Cicada was effectively listed as a training mech for multiple IS armies. Wonder why.

Speaking of training mechs, the Chameleon would be cool to include in the game.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I always feel kinda bad for the random Cicada that shows up in an otherwise full mission of heavies or something. Multi-target with some random MLs and end up blowing off the PPC on the 2A and it's like 'don't feel bad little dude, you tried your best :buddy:'

It doesn't even have the 'holy gently caress what' scare factor of the Urbanmech w/ the AC20. The best it's got is a PPC.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mine didn't even come with a PPC. Starter had 2 Medium Lasers, one Small Laser, and cost $100,000+ every time it lost an arm. Which was always.

So glad I finally replaced it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Well you gotta learn how to warcrime civilians somewhere

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Bubbacub posted:

Speaking of training mechs, the Chameleon would be cool to include in the game.

The Chameleon has a special place in my heart from the Crescent Hawks' Inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Largepotato posted:

The Chameleon has a special place in my heart from the Crescent Hawks' Inception.

I didn't know what I was doing but I loved that game