Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

profileusername posted:

There is definitely something shady going on with her. Nobody is allowed to see her use her power which she used without a devil appearing, she was fine with being shot, seemed to know about the ambush, and displays that disconnection with humanity that is attributed to devils. Maybe some kind of a devilman with an anti-devil agenda?

I've been pretty interested by Chainsawman so I went and checked out Fire Punch recently and oof it is brutal. I can see the roots of Chainsawman in there.
My Guess: Makima could be a human who bargained away so much for contracts that she flat out isn't human anymore- even less-so than Denji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

profileusername posted:

I've been pretty interested by Chainsawman so I went and checked out Fire Punch recently and oof it is brutal. I can see the roots of Chainsawman in there.

both just seem to be going for shock value and nothing else imo

well fire punch at least was just "look at how EDGY this is guys"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it might be due to the translation but i'm a big fan of how forthright all the devils in chainsawman are

there's no dissembling or philosophizing with them, it's all "I'M GONNA KILL YOU CUZ YOU MAKE ME MAD" and "I'LL DRINK YOUR BLOOD AND TAKE A NAP" and "THE FUTURE! IS BEST!"

this extends to power as well ofc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
power is very powerful. if she and denji ever hooked up the world would instantly end.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

power is very powerful. if she and denji ever hooked up the world would instantly end.

You might say they are the ultimate Power couple.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

it might be due to the translation but i'm a big fan of how forthright all the devils in chainsawman are

there's no dissembling or philosophizing with them, it's all "I'M GONNA KILL YOU CUZ YOU MAKE ME MAD" and "I'LL DRINK YOUR BLOOD AND TAKE A NAP" and "THE FUTURE! IS BEST!"
They have an interesting contractor vibe if anyone remembers Darker Than Black (which does actually seem to be a bit of an inspiration for this, or just parallel evolution based on the idea of contracts). This as an aside is why I think Makima is going to be something wildly different than we're expecting. Because she is coming off as a way more complex character.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
The latest chapter really emphasized how similar the Future Devil's and Makima's eyes are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know how all devils have a theme associated with some human fear? Makima is clearly the human devil, representing the fear humans have of other humans.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Makima's an angel. :angel:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gonna throw in a recommendation for Ryoko. It's battle shonen set in a post apocalyptic world of mutant food. The art seems to take a lot more inspiration from western comic books than other manga and while it's a little bit rough at the beginning, it gets quite good.

This guy is broccoli

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Ytlaya posted:

You know how all devils have a theme associated with some human fear? Makima is clearly the human devil, representing the fear humans have of other humans.

That would also probably make her the strongest devil. Well until the nuke devil comes around.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno, I think the existential dread devil should be up there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
regardless of whatever the hell makima is, i agree with earlier speculation that her contracted devil is the Heights Devil

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mulderman posted:

That would also probably make her the strongest devil. Well until the nuke devil comes around.

I would think the Death devil would be the strongest but Chainsawman's author isn't that predictable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
death devil's been sitting around these past few years, getting slowly weaker and real confused about why everyone's suddenly so stoked about dying

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oxxidation posted:

regardless of whatever the hell makima is, i agree with earlier speculation that her contracted devil is the Heights Devil

Well weve been told that a contract is only as powerful as the price it demands, And the price for Makima's is a person's life, which id believe is a pretty hefty price considering what a little skin or an eye gets you.

re: Seven Deadly Sins.
Escanor is still the only good thing about this manga.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 31, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oxxidation posted:

*In Terry pratchett voice* you mean the depths devil

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

re: Seven Deadly Sins.
Escanor is still the only good thing about this manga.

I'm amazed at how badly the Mangaka managed to mess up the power scaling.
But yes, Escanor is om the scene and I'm ready for some smack talk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is My Hero Academia the most popular shounen in the West? I know nothing beats OP in Japan. Naruto used to be the King then it ended and I guess Attack on Titan was the next mainstream hit but everybody forgot about it for whatever reason. Now it's MHA I see everybody talking about.

I used to talk anime a lot more ten years ago when the Big Three were still a thing and also Fairy Tail was at its height. I have no idea what's popular now except MHA. Maybe Black Clover?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

NikkolasKing posted:

Is My Hero Academia the most popular shounen in the West? I know nothing beats OP in Japan. Naruto used to be the King then it ended and I guess Attack on Titan was the next mainstream hit but everybody forgot about it for whatever reason. Now it's MHA I see everybody talking about.

I used to talk anime a lot more ten years ago when the Big Three were still a thing and also Fairy Tail was at its height. I have no idea what's popular now except MHA. Maybe Black Clover?

I remember that folks on SA several years ago were pretty confident that Magi was gonna take the spot of one of the Big Three once Naruto and Bleach were wrapping up, but that sure as hell didn't happen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Beefstew posted:

I remember that folks on SA several years ago were pretty confident that Magi was gonna take the spot of one of the Big Three once Naruto and Bleach were wrapping up, but that sure as hell didn't happen.

I mean, Magi is also in a different magazine so it wouldn't have really fulfilled the criteria anyways.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

I think it is cause MHA anime comes out consistently. OPM and AoT were huge in the West but gaps between seasons resulted in the fervor chilli ng, while MHA comes put every year or something which generates hype.

Plus, unlike continuously running shounen anime like One Piece or Black Clover it doesn't need to rely on fillers and is a lot higher in quality as a result, I think.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Which is a shame because BC is a zippy little comic that doesn't particularly want to waste anyone's time and gets straight to the point and would have been fantastic if treated much the same way as MHA but some Business Tanaka wanted it on a child's slot so I guess eveyone has to EABODs I guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

New Chainsawman! http://readms.net/r/csm/33/6092/1

DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think we'll need to keep an eye on Makima.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

I think we'll need to keep an eye on Makima.

As long as she isn't doing the same to us I agree.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I forget, when Makima got off the train after being shot, did her attackers look like they'd been shot? Now this guy tries to punch her and winds up looking like he got punched instead.

I'm wondering if she isn't contracted with the karma/retribution/what-goes-around-comes-around devil. People always complain about not getting what they deserve, but that presumes what they deserve isn't awful. If devils embody humanity's fears, the fear of getting what you have coming to you is probably pretty potent.

The whole sacrificing death row prisoners thing kinda fits as well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bad Seafood posted:

I forget, when Makima got off the train after being shot, did her attackers look like they'd been shot? Now this guy tries to punch her and winds up looking like he got punched instead.

I'm wondering if she isn't contracted with the karma/retribution/what-goes-around-comes-around devil. People always complain about not getting what they deserve, but that presumes what they deserve isn't awful. If devils embody humanity's fears, the fear of getting what you have coming to you is probably pretty potent.

The attackers on the train had a huge hole in their bodies.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

attack on titan kind of lost steam because the author loved taking the plot in the most boring directions imaginable

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bad Seafood posted:

She must be a demon herself. Only demons seem to have different looking eyes, or some other physical manifestation of their demon nature.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
c h a i n s a w m a n

looks can kill

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

attack on titan kind of lost steam because the author loved taking the plot in the most boring directions imaginable

It kind of owns again now

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Thoren posted:

It kind of owns again now

It had some problems regarding predictability, but now I don't know which characters will come out ahead.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

"There's no loving plan, just get the craziest motherfuckers we have and let them loose"

booze grandpa is great

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

it spider man

https://mangadex.org/title/39799/spider-man-fake-red

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

I'd be way more into western comics if they did more black and white like Japan. They are way too expensive to buy digital or otherwise.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I regret to inform you that it's the wrong Yusuke to do a Spider-Man manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

murata can suck it while he spends months drawing one chapter of opm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

HenryEx posted:

I regret to inform you that it's the wrong Yusuke to do a Spider-Man manga

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The arts super sharp and slick, I love it. Lots of kinectic energy in everything.