Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's been years since i read the comic but i thought the military could stomp the superheroes if they wanted to.

End of comic spoilers: They do at the very end, but only because they got specalized equipment like supe-seeking anti air missiles etc by way of the CIA and the boys. The weaker supes could probably be killed easily by conventional weapons, but I'm pretty sure the vought duders who killed the G-men also had some kind of special bullets or some bs that they kept to themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I remember a line where someone says that if not for the new missiles things would have turned out very differently.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
While I dig the boys being unpowered, I did appreciate that the season finale opened the idea of giving compound v to adults to get powers, meaning that there's a possibility of an actual boys vs supes fight somewhere down the line.

If it happens, awesome. If it doesn't, the show is still surprisingly good. Hope it keeps the quality in season 2.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
rear end bombs, rear end bombs kill everything.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

tino posted:

rear end bombs, rear end bombs kill everything.

When Hughie gave water to Transluscent I was like, come on dude he'll at least die on 3 days if you don't give him anything to drink.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jerry seinfel posted:

When Hughie gave water to Transluscent I was like, come on dude he'll at least die on 3 days if you don't give him anything to drink.

i thought they were going to poison him.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought they were going to poison him.

Frankly, having skin made out of diamond/carbon metamaterial/carbon nanotubes doesn't make you impervious to fire. Antoine Lavoisier showed you can burn one. They should've just doused the fucker in kerosine and threw a match at him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

jerry seinfel posted:

They don’t have that long if vaught is looking for him though.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's mentioned that this isn't the first time he'd been captured, but last time Translucent's captors only got one chance before they all died. Even if Homelander and Vought weren't looking for him, he himself is able to effect his own escape fairly quickly once everyone is distracted. Being able to knock him out at will via electricity, plus disrupting his location tracker, gave them the chance to do some trial and error and eventually find a working method.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah there's a line about the Iranians? trying to drown him or something, just a sentence, and that it didnt work.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That whole plotline is a bit of a missed opportunity for me, I would have liked the show to continue with some plots where the non-superpowered characters to come up with inventive ways to off supes. Its not really clear the Boys have much competence other than their massive nuts in even attempting it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 30, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

massive spider posted:

That whole plotline is a bit of a missed opportunity for me, I would have liked the show to continue with some plots where the non-superpowered characters to come up with inventive ways to off supes. Its not really clear the Boys have much competence other than their massive nuts in even attempting it.

This is what I was hoping Batman Vs. Superman spent more time doing. Like Batman creates a fake crime, Superman responds, and miniguns pop out of the dumpsters and unload on Superman. He emerges unscratched, Batman crosses a bullet point from his list. Ok. bullets don't work, let's see what happens if I squish him.... or drop a bunch of knives on him, try to set him on fire, use a DIY Mr. Freeze ray on him, Joker laughing gas, but he just kicks Batman's rear end until he manages to hobble into the Batwing and Superman can't follow because he's doubled over laughing at the lovely airplane in the shape of a bat

Like... some sort of detective work

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Groovelord Neato posted:

black noir is a clone of homelander put in place to kill him as a failsafe by the company (none of the team knows this). but noir goes insane from never getting the order to kill and starts doing hosed up poo poo dressed as homelander and sending the pictures to homelander to bait him into acting in a way that'd cause the company to give the kill order. in the comic noir's the one that rapes butcher's wife and butcher witnesses the baby claw its way out of his wife (it also flies around and shoots lasers and butcher has to beat it to death). black noir sending the pictures to homelander eventually gaslights homelander into becoming totally detached from humanity and go full sociopath since what the hell he's been doing all this awful poo poo he doesn't remember...

So I the comic can Homelander not just see through the mask?

Loved the show, interested to see where it goes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bananaquiter posted:

Shut up, that's why.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bananaquiter posted:

Comic Homelander has literal X-ray vision. He can see bones and sillicone implants but chiseled feature and a strong jaw are beyond his ability.

I marathoned the entire comic before starting on the series. The edginess didn't bother me as much as how everyone in the comic apart from Butcher was just ludicrously incompetent to the point where everything felt like a farce.

Also the comic supes were more like random assholes with superpowers and their "enhanced durability" was mainly the ability to get punched and not die of concussion. Show supes are portrayed as more traditionally except for the stapled on dystopian capitalist angle.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 30, 2019

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I will say one moment in the comic that stuck out to me with how the supes seemed kinda fragile was when the nazi guy (who was talked up to be a homelander-lite) was worried about being blinded from just normal glass shards from a bottle or w/e.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bring back old gbs posted:

This is what I was hoping Batman Vs. Superman spent more time doing. Like Batman creates a fake crime, Superman responds, and miniguns pop out of the dumpsters and unload on Superman. He emerges unscratched, Batman crosses a bullet point from his list. Ok. bullets don't work, let's see what happens if I squish him.... or drop a bunch of knives on him, try to set him on fire, use a DIY Mr. Freeze ray on him, Joker laughing gas, but he just kicks Batman's rear end until he manages to hobble into the Batwing and Superman can't follow because he's doubled over laughing at the lovely airplane in the shape of a bat

Like... some sort of detective work

It was a deleted scene in Superman: The Movie, but when Supes goes to Luthor's Park Ave hideout, Lex has set up a gauntlet of traps that Supes has to go through. Machine guns, freezing, fire, and Supes goes through them all unscathed.

It's a shame they cut it (probably for time), but it really adds to the fact that it's Superman's hubris is what almost causes his death. He made it through those death traps, so he doesn't think there's anything else Luthor can throw at him, so of course he believes there's no danger in that lead lined safe.

On another note, in the comic "Rising Stars" there was a super-powered character with invulnerable skin, but the drawback was he also couldn't feel anything because of it. He ended up being murdered when the killer carefully restrained him while he was asleep in his chair, and placed a plastic bag over his head. He may have been invulnerable, but he didn't have super strength.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This show is better than I expected.

I haven't read the show and there are not hip waders tall enough to wade into Ennis funnybooks as a grown rear end adult but the evil clone poo poo sounds corny as hell and I would be fine if they dropped it. Black Noir works fine as a pastiche of the brooding, laconic Batman archetype and nothing more.

Starr is incredible in the role, the way he does the fake superhero smarm, menace, barely contained sociopathy, even the weird vulnerability of a god raised as an affection-starved science project. Dude should get an award.

Even though "superhero deconstruction" is well-trod territory seems like something we need more of done well in light of the fact that superhero movies seem poised to continue serialized pap pre chewed and spat baby bird like into our stunted imaginations for decades.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 30, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda just cut black noir if they're going to cut that since his costume is atrocious.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't even realise Homelander was mother loving HOOD until I started reading this thread. Binged the entire series just thinking he was a familiar "one of those guys" I've seen in other shows. He completely transformed into the character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

I didn't even realise Homelander was mother loving HOOD until I started reading this thread. Binged the entire series just thinking he was a familiar "one of those guys" I've seen in other shows. He completely transformed into the character

I already liked the poo poo out of Anthony Starr but goddamn if he didn't show his loving chops here.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I read a couple issues of this a number of years ago and couldn't get into it because of how tryhard edgy it was. With that in mind I was skeptical going in but I thought the show did very well at applying the main points of the comic and changing them around a bit. I actually like that since the comics ended before the MCU really blew up with The Avengers I feel that the show can stand as a nice counterpoint to the by-the-numbers, quality-controlled superhero team that Disney gives us by showing the other side of corporation owned superheroes.

Not to mention I really enjoyed the political stuff that was brought up many times and when Stillwell brings up the other heavy hitters in the military industrial complex I thought to myself "hey I'm glad there's some western media that has the balls to acknowledge how hosed up modern day America is at a corporate level". Of course. I acknowledge that this isn't the only media that is doing that, it just seems like this is getting a good reception, as opposed to others that are just buried.

Also, one thing that I'm surprised the show didn't go for (maybe they didn't think it would read well in a 2019 world) was when Deep is getting his gills assaulted by a "fan" and she doesn't stop when he tells her to, I was waiting for a catfish reveal and she was going to be like "oh no, you don't get a choice, you're going to sit there and take it so you know what it feels like." or when she asked him to take his costume off she was going to laugh at him and threaten him. Again, I can understand how they miiiiiight not want to do that but I'm not sure I agree with keeping what they did since it doesn't seem like it allowed for Deep to experience much of an arc. Though, I suppose that could also be the point

Aces High fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 30, 2019

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

There was an unspoken threat there in that she had power over him because she could just accuse him of doing what he did once, again, and people would believe her over him because he's already tainted. I like to think its why he didn't throw her off him when she was doing to him what he didn't want to be done.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bananaquiter posted:

Not sure if it's in the comic, but in the show Homelander can't see through zinc, so I'd assume his mask was made of it or some other trickery was involved.

I really hope Homelander ends up having some really lame weakness, like he's pretty much godlike but poached eggs would kill him in a heartbeat

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, the whole time I was watching the boys I just kept thinking how great an Irredeemable adaption would be. Like, they could really nail it, and it would be fantastic. Some of the best parts of the series are how warped, yet realistic his superman origin story is. Like how rather than having the perfect, wholesome farm life upbringing his childhood is basically the "It's a Good Life" episode of The Twilight Zone. And how when he reveals his secret identity to his news reporter girlfriend she freaks out and immediately outs him to the public.

I think it's been in the works for a movie adaptation for a while (not sure how that would go over, since it's a pretty densely packed story, what with back story/the rest of the team/the arch-nemesis/the off-planet stuff etc.)

Yeah, one of the characters even directly brings up the 'It's a Wonderful Life' episode. To me the biggest gut-punch part was when Plutonian tracked down his former foster siblings who were living in the middle of nowhere, basically in hiding from him.

He goes off on them for the family rejecting him despite all the good he had done, but that they unconditionally love and care for their special needs brother and did everything for him. He was angry, resentful, and completely ignored the fact that they were terrified of him because the youngest brother was special needs because of what he had done.

You see him shoot his eye beams before he comes outside and flies away... he only fired it on the older siblings, leaving the youngest brother to starve to death in his wheelchair.

Sorry for the derail!

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 31, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gawain The Blind posted:

As a huge Ennis fan, I'm disappointed with a lot of the changes. I think they spent too much time trying to make a "the boys" origin story, when it's not really about that. They aren't even V-ed up for the whole first season, which changes the gang from a legitimate threat into a bunch of goofballs bumbling their way through a war the heroes don't even know they're in.

It's much cooler that they ARE a legitimate threat to the supes without having powers. Maeve talks about how their weakness is still other people. They're all getting owned by capitalism and social structures which makes them vulnerable to Billy's "blackmail everyone" method of getting things done. Ultimately, for all their powers, they're still hosed if they don't get paid, or Vought stops protecting them from the fallout of their creepy actions, or the CIA starts making demands.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Interview with Eric Kripke about season 2: https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/30/the-boys-season-1-ending-cameos-season-2/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A gender swapped Stormfront who turns into him by saying a magical nazi word a la Shazam

I'm in!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Kripke's doing an AMA on r/television

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Great interview that makes me extremely optimistic for Season 2, phew. They really know what they’re doing with this show.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lmao Homelander is such a petulant manchild at his core.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'd love to see the people in here who complain about Ennis try to read Crossed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Boinks posted:

I'd love to see the people in here who complain about Ennis try to read Crossed.

Why would you ever want anyone to read Crossed

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Boinks posted:

Pffffft, what are you talking about?! Cum-tainted bullets is high art :colbert:

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Homelander > Thanos jizz all over lesser supervillains

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bookmarked thread for reading once I finish the series. I’m only 1 episode in, but holy poo poo, this is a great show, right from the beginning.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Are all of you that like the show voting 5, this should be gold.

Hey.

You're the real heroes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I already liked the poo poo out of Anthony Starr but goddamn if he didn't show his loving chops here.

Playing twins on NZ TV was some of his best work.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Supreme Allah posted:

Are all of you that like the show voting 5, this should be gold.

Hey.

You're the real heroes.
*smiling, never breaking eye contact*

I can do whatever the gently caress I want.

*votes 1*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

During the A-Train race I thought the Boys were going to set up a garrot somewhere on the race track and behead him like the dude in the Counselor.