Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
When in doubt down B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm pleased The King, Ridley, has gotten the buffs he's deserved.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Katamari Democracy posted:

When in doubt down B

When in doubt, Kamikazee!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

He even gets a little sword and shield!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hero is fukken wild

Gonna be a lot of terrible down Bs out there tonight, stay safe folks

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I appreciate why Hero's Classic Mode and Spirit Battles are mostly in Stamina mode, it's just that Stamina mode in Ultimate is not fun at all.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Initial Impressions of Hero:

Only a few stand out normals. FTilt is a useful two-stage attack, FSmash hits like a truck, Bair is the main kill move. Fair is slow; Marth he is not.
SideB is real good, especially the second level. Nice, instant travel time projectile with long reach and great damage.
DownB is slow, but has some big high-roll options. The buffs are the best general use options. Protip: try not to get hit by a Psyche Up FSmash, even uncharged. You can die at 40% at center stage that way if you are light.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Katamari Democracy posted:

When in doubt down B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos&t=6s

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Ridley Buffs look tasty

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Raxivace posted:

I appreciate why Hero's Classic Mode and Spirit Battles are mostly in Stamina mode, it's just that Stamina mode in Ultimate is not fun at all.
Yeah I did absolutely awful at Classic Mode and i'm gonna blame this cause good lord

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I did absolutely awful at Classic Mode and i'm gonna blame this cause good lord
The "Hero's Comrades" spirit battle in particular really kicked my rear end.

I guess I could have picked a character I actually knew how to sort of play to beat it but still.

Hero himself seems pretty fun at least.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Strange Matter posted:

Ridley Buffs look tasty

I may actually have to learn Ridley now, this is real fun

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, trying to use Hero's Down B with iffy eyesight sucks.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Hero's charged side B is incredibly strong and has some form of armor. Down air has a ton of lag, be careful when using it off stage.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

Man, trying to use Hero's Down B with iffy eyesight sucks.

you're not suipposed to look at the commands btw you just press button

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

the menu is definitely a balancing factor for hero's down b because holy poo poo a lot of those abilities are powerful

Right, it's the menu that's the balancing point and not,

the MP limit

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prowler posted:

Hero's charged side B is incredibly strong and has some form of armor. Down air has a ton of lag, be careful when using it off stage.

i fail to see why you shouldn't ever go off stage and spike since up b is so strong lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Ooof, I got hit by Hero's OHKO spell in his Classic mode run. Very rude

Prowler
May 24, 2004

bef posted:

i fail to see why you shouldn't ever go off stage and spike since up b is so strong lol

Sure, but if you whiff, you give your opponent enough time to scout out your recovery. There's nothing to stop someone from Dunkin your rear end as you charge up your magic.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Low-key the best part about Smash Bros. DLC is getting more Kirby forms.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Looking to get back into Smash Ult. after having quit playing for a few months. Are there any discords for setting up casual online play that isn't full of tournament try hards?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Hero feels like "B, the Character" even more than the Belmonts did. Kafrizz (level 3 NeutralB) and Zapple (level 2 SideB) are the two best projectiles in the game, bar none. Kafrizz just kills people dead, and Zapple has real good range and speed, and decent power to boot. His normals generally suck though, and are slow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think the Hero has enough 40%+ attacks, give him another few thousand Sakurai

I've won every time but he sucks to fight, it's just super unfun

e: Also Riddles the Dragon's a big boy now holy poo poo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 31, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wapole Languray posted:

Looking to get back into Smash Ult. after having quit playing for a few months. Are there any discords for setting up casual online play that isn't full of tournament try hards?

Sure! We got a tight knit group here that loves to have fun with all things Smash https://discord.gg/6tb2fS

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think if you kamikaze and take both you and your opponent's last stock, you still win lol

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Thwack seems.... kind of consistent when they are in the 80-100 range. Which seems odd, for a spell that is supposed to miss so often it's become an in game joke, but then again I feel like any Command Menu spell kills at that range so whatever.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Thwack seems.... kind of consistent when they are in the 80-100 range. Which seems odd, for a spell that is supposed to miss so often it's become an in game joke, but then again I feel like any Command Menu spell kills at that range so whatever.

You can honestly just shove a Kafrizz in their face at that point and kill them anyways. Seriously, his other B button stuff is good too!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

actually what would be odd is if they made a move always bad on purpose

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I think if you kamikaze and take both you and your opponent's last stock, you still win lol

Nope, if you use Kamikaze on your last stock, you lose before the game even finishes registering hitstun for your opponent.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

bef posted:

Sure! We got a tight knit group here that loves to have fun with all things Smash https://discord.gg/6tb2fS

Ugh I left there in a bad mood last time. :c as in I quit because i got real mad and i left that server. Hopefully its ok to rejoin?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Spergatory posted:

Nope, if you use Kamikaze on your last stock, you lose before the game even finishes registering hitstun for your opponent.

I definitely had the opposite happen in offline vs. cpu

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
online is a wasteland of Hero standing perfectly still while scrolling through the down b menu, then not using the move cuz they got hit

also Kirby with Hero's b is the Kirby we mains deserve

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 31, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Today I learned that the official dev name for SDI is "hitstun shuffle"!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Just had a two hour session with my doubles partner. My main Hero takeaways:

1) Use utilt more. Use it for basically everything. It's arguably one of the best utilts in the game, right out of the box.
2) You'll want to treat fair like it's Cloud's, but with no spike hitbox.
3) Bair is super slow, but it has enormous range and it's a safe poke at max range out of a shorthop.
4) Hero mostly revolves around his not-down-B magic in order to be a big threat. Yes, his normals are fairly strong, especially with his power ups like Oomph and Psyche Up, but neutral-B and side-B are where he's going to get most of his mileage in general play: everything from general damage, to spacing, to killing.
5) As fun as it is to spin the roulette, down-B's inconsistency makes it a pretty unappealing move, and you really shouldn't be trying to use it that often if you're trying to win -
6) - but, if you can train yourself, the best moves to make in the selection are Heal, Oomph, Acceleratle, Bounce, and Psyche Up. All of these moves start with a different letter, and, aside from Heal, no other spell in the list starts with those letters. So, if you're in a tight spot, open the list and look for O, A, B, or P and immediately gravitate to that if you have it. H is shared with Hocus Pocus and Hatchet Man, so those might require a second look.

I'll put more time into him. He feels kind of clunky to start with, but it's just growing pains.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Maple Leaf posted:

Just had a two hour session with my doubles partner. My main Hero takeaways:

1) Use utilt more. Use it for basically everything. It's arguably one of the best utilts in the game, right out of the box.
2) You'll want to treat fair like it's Cloud's, but with no spike hitbox.
3) Bair is super slow, but it has enormous range and it's a safe poke at max range out of a shorthop.
4) Hero mostly revolves around his not-down-B magic in order to be a big threat. Yes, his normals are fairly strong, especially with his power ups like Oomph and Psyche Up, but neutral-B and side-B are where he's going to get most of his mileage in general play: everything from general damage, to spacing, to killing.
5) As fun as it is to spin the roulette, down-B's inconsistency makes it a pretty unappealing move, and you really shouldn't be trying to use it that often if you're trying to win -
6) - but, if you can train yourself, the best moves to make in the selection are Heal, Oomph, Acceleratle, Bounce, and Psyche Up. All of these moves start with a different letter, and, aside from Heal, no other spell in the list starts with those letters. So, if you're in a tight spot, open the list and look for O, A, B, or P and immediately gravitate to that if you have it. H is shared with Hocus Pocus and Hatchet Man, so those might require a second look.

I'll put more time into him. He feels kind of clunky to start with, but it's just growing pains.

Your post is excellent, and it got me thinking about how the move will end up being used in the meta.

Low Risk - High Reward?
1. In a Ledge Trap scenario where they can sacrifice putting pressure on the opponent for picking a buff.
2. YOLO get back on stage plays where a charged UP + B won't bring you back and a "Zoom" will.

High Risk - Low Reward?
1. As a comeback mechanic if you can't finish a stock or are losing by two stocks.
2. To style on your opponent?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Who's the hero with the halo during gigasmash?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Who's the hero with the halo during gigasmash?

Nine, he's a angel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DizzyBum posted:

Today I learned that the official dev name for SDI is "hitstun shuffle"!

it's also the name of my new band