Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
went to crater lake. still owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that island is called wizard island, btw

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I’ve still never been to that island

When I went as a kid my parents didn’t go, and when I went as an adult the boat wasn’t running yet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Crater lake seems so cool

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The cascades are still the epitome of forest land for me

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just realized I should probably save some momentos from taking my daughter to sequoia/kings canyon this week the same way my parents used to

that was her first real big trip out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

I just realized I should probably save some momentos from taking my daughter to sequoia/kings canyon this week the same way my parents used to

mementos

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

went to crater lake. still owns

Can confirm Crater Lake rules, visited there with my wife when we moved to Seattle

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

No memes

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I was back home this weekend and I miss Appalachia so much that I didn’t even realize. went to frozen head and looked at waterfalls. I think I’m going to buy a house back here but LA is where the money is. has anyone heresuccessfully gotten a real remote job that allows you to live somewhere cheap and stuff? I will probably never be able to have a nice house in LA

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

A MIRACLE posted:

I was back home this weekend and I miss Appalachia so much that I didn’t even realize. went to frozen head and looked at waterfalls. I think I’m going to buy a house back here but LA is where the money is. has anyone heresuccessfully gotten a real remote job that allows you to live somewhere cheap and stuff? I will probably never be able to have a nice house in LA

yep. i put in my pound of flesh in dc and switched jobs to something that's all remote/travel. so i moved back to pittsburgh while still keeping my dc salary. being able to camp on the weekends, buy a modest townhome, have neighbors that aren't power tripping assholes... all wonderful

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

yep. i put in my pound of flesh in dc and switched jobs to something that's all remote/travel. so i moved back to pittsburgh while still keeping my dc salary. being able to camp on the weekends, buy a modest townhome, have neighbors that aren't power tripping assholes... all wonderful

but u live in an airplane now lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pick your poison

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

went backpacking and slept next to a lake :allears:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

posting from the mountains

the huts along the ridge to the right have p2p wifi to the village below

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which mountains?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

:eyepop:

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

the huts along the ridge to the right have p2p wifi to the village below

The hills are alive with the sound of packets

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

which mountains?

a mild part of the carpathians in romania

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Progressive JPEG posted:

here is how i picture you now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

I did the routeburn+greenstone and Kepler tracks a couple years back. I had brought a radio for the first and then didn't bother with it for the second. on the great walks there's enough people that you'll be found in like 5-10 minutes by the next group behind you if there's a problem.

it makes sense for a more obscure track where it's poorly marked and you're the only one there that day but for a great walk you're probably better off saving on the amount of weight you need to carry

aweomse

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
a rude dude at work posted an article in our wiki about how difficult our team (read: me) is to work with

so yeah i'm ready to go permacamping

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

hah cool. I was thinking drat, that looks a lot like the time I went to Romania and stayed in the mountains. Whaddya know

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

psiox posted:

a rude dude at work posted an article in our wiki about how difficult our team (read: me) is to work with

so yeah i'm ready to go permacamping

lol you work with children

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol you work with children

children that are cheaper than hiring experienced folks as long as they stick to node+php+other playpen items

getting older sure is making me wonder what the future of employment in this sector holds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

psiox posted:

children that are cheaper than hiring experienced folks as long as they stick to node+php+other playpen items

getting older sure is making me wonder what the future of employment in this sector holds

get a job in an industry too "boring" for children like finance or healthcare

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

psiox posted:

i'm not sure how much of the coming generation(s) even know how to use or professionally work with desktop computers (workstations?) anymore; i've seen teenagers who can't work out a mouse but can thumbtype at like 300cwpm on an iphone

probably just :corsair:ing but interesting to think about

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 31, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tons of my students prefer to use their laptop trackpad rather than a mouse in all the graphics software we use and it drives me loving insane

"You should really get a mouse"
"Oh I just got used to this haha"
"No, I'm serious, a mouse will make you like three or four times faster"
"I don't know I just don't like them and I'm really good with this and used to it now haha"

Then I demo something and whip through in 8 seconds with a mouse and shortcuts what would have taken them a minute or more and they're like "omg how did you do that so quickly"

Argh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Tons of my students prefer to use their laptop trackpad rather than a mouse in all the graphics software we use and it drives me loving insane

"You should really get a mouse"
"Oh I just got used to this haha"
"No, I'm serious, a mouse will make you like three or four times faster"
"I don't know I just don't like them and I'm really good with this and used to it now haha"

Then I demo something and whip through in 8 seconds with a mouse and shortcuts what would have taken them a minute or more and they're like "omg how did you do that so quickly"

Argh

i think if you're under the age of 27 or so there are universal, physical laws in force that actively prevent you from comprehending the phrase "practice makes perfect"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

practice makes consistent

perfect practice makes perfect

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sitting in a 50 person training and someone is clearing their throat every 5 seconds

BUMP

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sitting in a 50 person training and someone is clearing their throat every 5 seconds

BUMP

god i miss webinar.biz

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

psiox posted:

god i miss webinar.biz

http://conferencecall.biz/

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it was in-person :negative:

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

just chilling at the japanese garden

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bumppp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there’s a guys who tried to walk across wales in a straight line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7w986ni7_g

lots of jumping over hedges

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yesss

i gotta look into those foldup & inflatable kayaks again